How do you guys get into or stay with Anime?

I grew up in a house with no cable or internet until about age 14-15 so I could never really watch Toonami or find any gateway into Anime/Manga. I had friends who were really into it, one of them even went to Japan in high school. In grade school I had an after school babysitter who let me watch their television. I loved and was fascinated by shows like Naruto and ATLA, but with only limited exposure I never really got attached to them. It's one of those things where I want to be into it, but I feel like I don't have a good foundation of experience to have that visceral connection. Does anyone get what I'm saying? I feel like I'm behind everyone else and it kinda sucks that I didn't have an outlet for it my whole childhood. I've watched about as much anime as I can, haven't gotten into manga much, but I feel burnt out and overwhelmed by the sheer volume of experience most people have compared to me. Any tips for how to develop my interest?

Just watch/read stuff you retard. Stop trying to fit in and just do you. Just find stuff you like and go from there.

Fuck off and kill yourself, faggot.

i'll take that advice with a grain of salt but thanks for the input

I know that feel user, I also didn't discover anime until I was already an adult. To this day I've still never seen a popular shonen, DB included.
Just keep watching, those surface level garbage shows aren't anything to fuss over, if anything you just won't be able to understand references to them for awhile. That'll come with lurking

right...I guess since I feel like I'm so behnd I'm always taking recommendations from other people about great anime they've seen so I don't watch irrelevant stuff. Like I want to know the history of anime so I try to watch stuff like Ghibly films, Great Teacher Onizuka, Mushishi, Cowboy Bebop. It's a lot to do at once.

i spelled that wrong oops

For most people they get exposed to it at a young age when anime is still exotic and all the shounen shit is still appealing to them, then they stick around for the community and culture and the odd gem here and there. There's also the fact that western media is also largely tripe so there's no pull back the other way, at that point people tend to stay in their comfort zone.

Just watch the essentials and entry level like naruto, pokemon, attack on titan, DBZ, dragonball, sailor moon, one piece, etc and move on from there.

Nice blog faggot. Nobody cares about your sob story

>It's one of those things where I want to be into it, but I feel like I don't have a good foundation of experience to have that visceral connection. Does anyone get what I'm saying? I feel like I'm behind everyone else and it kinda sucks that I didn't have an outlet for it my whole childhood.
Anime isn't a fucking competition you god damn autist.

>recommending shounen

I get joke recommendations, but this is too far. OP, watch seasonal anime. When there's nothing you want to watch, substitute in classics. This way you can keep up with the community while developing your taste and experience

sob story? I was asking for advice as someone with not a lot of experience in the medium. why so hostile?

I agree. when friends talk about certain topics in the genre I just want to be able to relate or understand what they're saying is all

>why so hostile
Because Sup Forums doesn't like anything it deems to be a rec thread. Or a blog. You should lurk for two years before posting, this will provide learning time and anime time. If you want to "fit in" here, that is. Otherwise, go somewhere that people aren't so opinionated.

>why so hostile?

Welcome to Sup Forums, bitch

My advice.

okay that seems fair I guess. I just thought since you guys are so experienced you could me point in the right direction

Kill yourself already.

that doesn't seem like good advice.

just Google "anime essentials," or the Sup Forums wiki if you want to post here. You referred to anime as a genre earlier, this is very wrong. It's a medium of art, containing all the standard genres and some unique ones. There's definitely something out there for you, but you simply won't get Sup Forums to help you find it.

okay thanks for your help. I'll look into it

“You have heard that it was said, You shall love your neighbor and hate your enemy.’ But I say to you, Love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you, so that you may be sons of your Father who is in heaven. For he makes his sun rise on the evil and on the good, and sends rain on the just and on the unjust."

First off don't ever make a thread like this again.

Secondly, just watch different shows. That's all you can do, it's not like there's a secret way to watch the 400 "best" anime in 3 hours. If a show seems interesting, watch it. If someone recommends a show to you, watch it. If you don't like a show, drop it and watch another show. Anime hasn't changed much and probably never will. Just watch shit at your own pace and be happy with that, but please refrain from ever posting on Sup Forums again.

okayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy message received captain senpai ill be off i guess. have a good day all.

Your friends have shit taste.

Why everyone is acting so cringy? Would like to see you all act like that in real life, cringe as fuck.

try reddit
people there pretend to be friendly and like you for upboats and they will surely recommend you some shit

Just take it a bit at a time my man, you don't have to become a turbo-autist human encyclopedia overnight.
Be happy about all the great shows and films you still have ahead of you.

These people never go outside.