Racial politics aside, what does Sup Forums think about the BAN THE BOX movement?

Racial politics aside, what does Sup Forums think about the BAN THE BOX movement?

should an employer be allowed to ask about your criminal record on an initial application for employment?

Have you considered not being a nigger?

If the job involves the need for a security clearance, hell yes.

Fpbp

Yes

Most jobs Ive had required a printout of my criminal registry (or lack thereof), I see nothing wrong with this. Just nigs being nigs and wanting more shit based on zero merit but "muh".

only people who have done bad/stupid things want it gone. maybe the correct answer is dont do bad/stupid things

Uhg...duh.

They can still look up an employees criminal history. It's not that hard. All this really does is put criminals who aren't looking for work into special contention for low-wage jobs. The government already subsidies employers who hire convicted felons. Why the fuck should they keep getting a leg up on the rest of us?

>Racial politics aside
What group of people do you think will disproportionately benefit from their employers not knowing about their criminal record?

I'd say that after the ruinous mass incarceration policies of the Clinton era, you absolutely must ban the box. It's almost like a wartime measure.

But then again, you should probably still have a box for violent offenders.

You've obviously never been in the position of hiring anyone before, have you?
If you don't check them before you hire them, then it's on you, not them.
I don't even bother asking or looking to see if the box is checked. But you bet your ass I'll do my detective work before an interview.
I've hired felons who worked out great. Have had interviews where they brought up some of the shit before I even asked about it.
In fact, there's only been two people I've hired who have had crystal clean records. And they were women.

Black African American people of color

>Implying they'll apply for a job

Are you asking people to take responsibility for their own actions? that's insane

No surprise, mass incarceration has fucking ruined your country's labour base. Also employers can still do their own research, some employers don't even have a box, but will check with law enforcement directly.

if you take an economy course, they tell you why this is a good thing

they actually repealed it in some states once upon a time ago

what ended up happening, imagine my shock, is that when employers were unable to know who was and was not a former criminal, they hired far fewer black people, because they assumed people with black names like tyrone and deshawn had a higher probability of being criminals (correctly assumed, i might add)

Really all they have to do is call their cop buddy and have them off the record run their record. This shit ain't burger making. Everyone knows someone that's a cop somewhere.

I've only seen them ask about thieft or felonies or traffic tickets if its a driving job

Yes, this should be allowed, and progressive efforts at regulating the hiring process in this way are misguided. Somewhat counterintuitively, banning the box actually *harms* African Americans, and *increases* racial discrimination in hiring. This is because it screws over black people who *do not* have a criminal record--they now have no way to prove it to a potential employer. Because of the statistical realities of crime rates by race, employers who are now unable to use criminal history information in hiring use the fallback--skin color--to make an educated guess about the risk of hiring a criminal. Banning the box hurts the people it was designed to help. There is decent research on all of this fyi.

the ban the box thing doesn't ban background checks only asking about criminal history in the initial application. Some states already have such a thing- you don't have to answer the box in California in the affirmative if your felony is older than a certain amount of years and isn't involving a major crime.

Wasn't there a study that proved that banning this question in job applications led to more white people being hired and less niggers being hired, because employers naturally assume that niggers are criminals?

>This is because it screws over black people who *do not* have a criminal record--they now have no way to prove it to a potential employer

It doesn't prevent the employer from running a background check it just prevents them from asking about criminal history. they'll still even have a portion getting permission to do one.

basketball americans

Sure, but the discrimination can and does occur in the earlier phase of intial sorting applications etc. It's what this guy said, basically:

people should be able to reject and exclude for any reason they like

There should be a separate boxes for violent vs nonviolent