Isn't this anime a bit too deep to be considered a shonen?

Isn't this anime a bit too deep to be considered a shonen?

I honestly can't see the average 14 year old that creams his pants over Boku no Hero Academia and One Piece enjoying something as thought provoking as Hunter x Hunter

Shounen is a demographic, not a genre.

I hope this is bait because HxHfags are slowly becoming as bad as Madokafags.

Of course it's bait, how new are you?

>Shounen is a demographic

Yes, and HxH is too deep for the shoiunen target demographic

>bait

What? The Chimera Ant arc shitstomps every shonenshit in existence because of how much un shounen it is.

My fucking god, why the fuck is Sup Forums getting invaded by so many retards?

>as thought provoking as Hunter x Hunter
Are you 14?

Lack of elitism. I mean fuck, we actually let in narutards in here. Our standards fell that badly over the years

Are you underage?

O

MY

You're dumb. There's as much variety in teens as there is in every other population.

For example, not everyone on Sup Forums is as bad at shitposting as you

>You are what you eat
>Ants start to eat humans
>Ants become as evil as humans can possibly become.

You must have been a retarded 14 year old. I like HxH but nothing in it is too complex for a 14 year old.

Chimera arc is a bit overrated but indeed it's better than any other shonen manga arcs

It's Summer, and Summer never ends.

Guys don't worry about the shitposters. Once the weekly chapters come back the majority of the mangareaders will come back and the animefags will be flushed away

>You must have been a retarded 14 year old. I like HxH but nothing in it is too complex for a 14 year old.
That goes for anime/manga in general if we're splitting hairs

Okay so which was better

>O MY RUBBER NEN

or

>LISTEN UP MY NEN

>dragonball 21st tenkaichi Arc>>YYH Dark tournament arc>>yugioh duelist kingdom arc>>>>>>>>>ash first pokemon league >>>>>>inuyasha gets tessaiga arc>>>>>chimera ant arc>>>>
>>>>>>>>>>dressrosa

It's too deep for Shonen Jump, you mean.

Phantom troupe is gonna be BTFO so hard. Hisoka & Kurapika & Biscuit & hanzo & The ZODIACS will crush each and every one of them. Honestly, it's like they say
Bad things happen to bad people

>implying they haven't always been turbo fedoras since the beginning.

Togashifags are always annoying user. Maybe not as bad as Nardo shippers but one of the worst for sure.

Oh and O MY RUBBER NEN to you too OP.

>LISTEN UP MY NEN
I think this is more accurate.

I know that this is a shit post but Inuyasha?

Come on, user. You can do better

Nothing wrong with early inuyasha

>too deep to be considered a shonen

I like this line. I'm gonna steal it.

O

Nothing amazing about it either

BESEECH

Nor the case with eva, lain, kemonozume , tatami Galaxy and ping pong just off the top of my head. You waifushitters need to stop trying to demean the medium just to justify your subhuman taste.

>Hunter X Hunter
>thought-provoking

Maybe if you're 12, in which case you're not allowed to post here since this site is 18+ only

>Eva,

>lain
Yeah, that's what I thought

You know someone is a waifushitter when they have such low self-esteem they desperately try to shit on the best the medium has to offer just to justify watching their retarded waifubait shit. Eva and lain are both great and that's common sense by now, trying to deny that at this point is a really bad strategy to argue. may be you should just accept you prefer the trash of the medium because you're too dumb to understand the merits of the thought provoking shows or something?

About the response I'd expected .This is hilarious.

Also a pretty bad case of jumping the gun, the argument isn't that those shows are bad, it's that nothing in it is beyond what a 14 year old or any competent high schooler can comprehend. Did that upset you that your fav "super mature" cartoon isn't as mind blowing as you think it is? What more can I expect from an Evashitter.

Yea dude you sure were the smartest 14 year old in all of Sup Forums. You reek of chuunibyou.

Nice jab, friend

>chuunibyou
I don't know what the hell this is.

How is ping pong any complex? I love it, but it's just a sport story with some commentary on human emotions. I'd argue the rest of the anime you listed are also not anything hard to grasp for a teenager, but of course I'd get stupid comments that they shouldn't be taken at face value bla bla bla.

>ping pong
>more complex than Chimera Ant

I'm just saying you're one dumb megalomaniac and that that's really childish. THere are a lot of ambiguities in both lain and eva and sorting them out is not easy even for a grown up. Stating otherwise is just really dumb.

Well, not ping pong may be but lain and eva sure are, I don't know how you can be here without having watched those.

>I'm just saying you're one dumb megalomaniac and that that's really childish.
Funny how you were the first resort to name calling and have the nerve to call someone else childish.

>There are a lot of ambiguities in both lain and eva and sorting them out is not easy even for a grown up.
Thanks for showing your age, user. And unless that "grown-up" is a complete idiot or doesn't spend a lot of his time reading, that's not at all possible.

>Stating otherwise is just really dumb.
Well, I guess if you say so.

>Yes, and HxH is too deep for the shoiunen target demographic
No it's not. Go to any library and go to the young adult fiction section. You'll get your Twilights and Maximum Flights, and you'll have stuff like "The House of the Red Scorpion" and "Lord of the Flies"

While HxH is a very Gritty entry in the Shonen Demographic, it's neither new in doing that. Simply put you can have works aimed at younger audiences that can be more thought provoking or explore their themes in a more mature way.

>All these pseudo-intellectuals jerking each other off

But we are talking about anime, it is diferent media than literature. U are even trying? HxH is very deep for a battle shounen

>non anime reactionary image on Sup Forums
Go and stay go

My apologies.

>Literature is a superior medium to x because that's how hollywood movies depict intelligent people such as myself

There is nothing inherently more complex in literature than in any other medium.

>it is diferent media than literature.
The point is that there is a range of content that can exist within any medium or age demographic. This is not exclusive to literature, television, film, or even Manga. Battle Shonen don't have to be shallow just because their Shonen, and they don't have to "dumb down" their themes or presentation of events just because it's aimed at the Child-YA demographic. You're going to find stories that border on what you might consider more appropriate for an older audience. Not saying HxH is one of those.

That's why togashi is a god. He dares to explore these sort of themes and there is nobody who can stop him.

Nice strawman.

I mentioned reading because having a proper level of literacy only aids in being able to identify subtle themes and symbolic imagery.

There is symbolic imagery and subtle themes in any medium. How would reading make you better at recognizing those?

Also both Eva and Lain are made ambiuous by design. How can you be so sure you can sort out all of them when even the authors didn't really do that? Don't you think you're deluding yourself a little bit here?

>Phantom Troupe
>Bad people
Denfending Meteor City is most heroic than anything the protags or the Hunter association have ever done.

I'd eat one of my own fingers just to sniff her belly button.

>There is symbolic imagery and subtle themes in any medium. How would reading make you better at recognizing those?
How far did you get in school to say something so bizzare? Why are you are trying to downplay the importance of literature? Literature promotes deep thought and lends to evocative imagery which serves as inspiration to many pieces of art that you see today. A prime example being the Bible. As well as present many ideas and concepts within the near endless array of different stories that are later emulated.

And news flash, you are aware that many of the themes presented in Lain, one of the main ones being the idea of the collective human consciousness come from literature the staff read and made direct reference to in the show, right?

>Also both Eva and Lain are made ambiguous by design. How can you be so sure you can sort out all of them when even the authors didn't really do that? Don't you think you're deluding yourself a little bit here?
Alright even if that is true, so what? That just means it leaves much open to interpretation. That certainly promotes thought but I'm not seeing where that somehow impossible to handle for a 14 year old with an active mind.

>ARGGG ME ANGRY YOU KILLED MUH NAKAMA!!!!
>ebin super saiyan transformation
>deep
*inhales* *pfffffffft*
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Did you consider the possibility that most of the works of art are as thought-provoking as you allow it to be?
Aside from obvious zero-effort total garbage, of course(and sometimes even then).

>The artwork is clear and graceful, though the last chapter shows some graphic violence that may upset younger readers. Those looking for the next Pokemon or Yu-Gi-Oh can stop searching.

Quentin would be proud of this thread

Is Quentin a shounenfag?

NEN

>slowly becoming
look at this newfag

>Chimera Ant arc
What in the fuck are you on about? That was more shounen than any arc in the series. It even followed your typical DBZ style of arc in which there's an impending doom the protagonists have to prepare for. Just because kids die and Gon acts like a psycho, doesn't mean it's not shounen.

Not him, but I don't think you understand the themes of the arc if you really feel that way.

The plot is honestly more of a vehicle for Togashi to define and challenge what it means to be human.

There are actually are a good chunk of people who launch dumb complaints about the use of the nuke and how there should have been more ki blasts. Hunter x Hunter's not insanely complex but it differs enough from most shonen fare to go over the heads of many teenagers who consume battle shonen.

Of course I understood that, you retard. That doesn't make it non-shounen. At its core, the arc follows the same protocols that all other big shounen series do.

Exemplified in the parallels between Gon and Meruem. They never met and yet the events that led to their change are the driving forces of the arc where as Meruem slowly discovers his humanity with his deep concern for Komugi's life and wanting to start a dialogue with Netero opining his disgust with the cruel reality of our world today, Gon grows more malicious as he threatens to murder an innocent bystander and used her life as a bargaining chip to get what he wants.

It's great stuff.

>Why are you are trying to downplay the importance of literature? Literature promotes deep thought and lends to evocative imagery which serves as inspiration to many pieces of art that you see today. A prime example being the Bible. As well as present many ideas and concepts within the near endless array of different stories that are later emulated.

The importance of literature is the same as the importance of film or the importance of any other medium. Literature just has more historical importance naturally, that's all. Also literature lacks a lot of dimensions from anime and film (like the visual and time dimensions) so it is a more poor stimulus in those regards, too.
I'm not hating on literature, all I'm saying is that you are being very irrational on your overvaloration of what is just a simple medium.

>That certainly promotes thought but I'm not seeing where that somehow impossible to handle for a 14 year old with an active mind.

The same can be said about any piece of literature, movie, painting or song, though.

>Also literature lacks a lot of dimensions from anime and film (like the visual and time dimensions)

My little brother is 11 and he's loving the living shit out of the Chimera Ant arc. I'm still eager to see his reaction to the heavier moments of the arc, he's currently at the point right before the raid into the castle. Again, he's 11 so there goes your argument. Then again, he introduced me to Shigatsu wa Kimi no Uso, somehow, so maybe he's just got great taste.

I believe he's talking about how in film the language of conveying visual and auditory elements is different than how a book would do so with text. Cinema and sequential art can present images in a way that doesn't rely solely on the imagination and experiences of the reader, since that's what a reader will rely on to imagine whatever is put to in words.

As a fun exercise, take a fight from your favorite series and try and imagine how an author would describe that with only text.

>Gon grows more malicious as he threatens to murder an innocent bystander and used her life as a bargaining chip to get what he wants.
Which is completely thrown out in the next arc as he becomes a genki retard again

The first ending has stayed with me.

No, now he's evolved into contemplative Gon.

O MY RUBBER NEN

Have you seen 4chans ranking? it's only of the most popular English sites. It only gets worse.

But that's not what I'm driving at all. I don't remember saying or even implying that literature somehow above the other mediums. And the differences you mentioned are clear if for example you compare a book to its movie adaptation.

But that's no reason understate its overall importance. There is no detriment to being well-read whatsoever.

>The same can be said about any piece of literature, movie, painting or song, though.
And I'm not arguing against that.

>I don't remember saying or even implying that literature somehow above the other mediums
It is though