Gurren Lagann

It's been 10 years since Gurren Lagann aired, are we mature enough to admit it is a masterpiece yet?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=PBX47m27K6c
youtube.com/watch?v=kyRK2GI_T7I
youtube.com/watch?v=aJo_3B5-1uk
youtube.com/watch?v=VT6LFOIofRE
youtube.com/watch?v=TCfUtwWr_Tw
youtube.com/watch?v=eh0qbJAQhgk
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Arguably anime of the decade, anyone who calls it shit is a contrarian faggot

Best scene

Cringeworthy infantile shit

honestly the animosity comes from some deep place in Sup Forums.

There was an intentional divide between Lucky Star fags and Gurren Lagann fags.

Couple that with butthurt Getter Robo fags, butthurt Kamina fags, butthurt Nia fags, Butthurt KLK fags and more, TTGL has always been rough on Sup Forums.

I would argue it was the second best "wild ride" here besides Geass.

Also Kiyal best girl

great taste

In my top 5, I was always partial to episode 11's big moment

youtube.com/watch?v=PBX47m27K6c

holy shit, ye

> episode 11
> posts the movie version

not really Sup Forums but did anyone find it weird that Samurai Jack pretty much pulled a Gurren Lagann at the end? Think it was coincidence? We already know Genndy got a lot of inspiration from "Ronin"

I figured posting the dub would get a worse response.

Those compilation movies upset me, the show is so much better but it has like 2 or 3 scenes that are awesome.

At least it wasn't the Gunbuster movie.

I rewatched it a few days ago, still really fun and in top 10% of anime. It's amazing how much Trigger did with just the idea of perseverance and drills

Don't spit on the memory of Gainax, user.

Kill La Kill was the most disappointing experience with anime i've ever had in my life

It's my favorite anime.

I thought Lagann-hen was great
and not just for the "ZOMG GIANT KAMINA MECHA"

but for moments that actually gave further development to certain characters

((and by certain characters, I mainly mean Nia, because I'm a pig disgusting shippingfag))

The ending is absolute shit
And well the whole thing is just pandering to manime faggots

it's not really autistic shipping if it is canon, and adorable. I agree Lagann-hen had a few good scenes, especially Nia writing to Kamina.

>That fucking expensive Blu-ray set never went down in price

Fuck

>that feel when no love for my waifu

Oh well.

>The ending is absolute shit
>using the word "manime"
at least you're consistent in your faggotry

2deep4u, which is fucking sad, it spells out its meaning more than fucking EVA does.

Maybe not most disappointing but it's up there. lwa is good however

fpbp

There is absolutely nothing deep about it its the most shallow "try harder and you will achieve your dreams" crap ever written

it's probably the "why couldn't they use spiral power to turn nia into a real human bean" user

I like her design

yup, you didn't get it. it's OK.
Can you even describe what a spiral nemesis is?

I want to slap those people.

>There was an intentional divide between Lucky Star fags and Gurren Lagann fags.
what about me?

Oh wow you you retards actually think its anything more than that
Hilarious

The awkward middle ground is always a strange place to be

Stop embarrassing yourself.

>try harder and you will achieve your dreams
>Nia dies
>half of the brigade died
>most of the soldiers died
>kamina is still dead
>Simon becomes a hobo
>literally an entire episode dedicated to the characters giving up on their dreams (family, happiness, cherished past, glory..) to do their duty
Dumb user.

Thats what makes the ending so shit yes.

Stop thinking this shit anime for teens is deep

I bow down to your intellectual superiority

>Thats what makes the ending so shit yes.
That's literally the opposite of what you were initially saying. Your posts are not only devoid of content, they're also inconsistent.

whoop de doop there is a "a great power means great responsibility" shit going on who cares, it means nothing at the end
People like this show because of the epic manly fights

>are we mature
No

> "Thats what makes the ending so shit yes."

did you per chance take a detour here on your way to 9gag?

you can simplify the meaning to be essentially:

The world needs go getters, but too much blind progress without thought leads to unstable circumstances. Thus, the world also needs great thinkers. These great thinkers and great makers work together to balance the progress of humanity, without sacrificing freedom for safety like the priest in the village, Lord genome or the anti-spiral. and finally, the most difficult point of all, when you are truly going to be in the way of progress, it's time to move on and step aside so those younger than you can forge new paths forward.

That's Gurren Lagann.

Oh, you're one of those.

Guess what? Art's purpose isn't to always just give you positive feelings or a means of escapism.

But this anime is very positive and it has tons of escapism in it

That's true, but I think there's more to it, like themes of progress, individualism, self sacrifice, conflict, and so on. Or, to put it short, making stuff work.

I could say the same about doraemon.
This show is nothing special and only liked for the epic robot battles

and beyond even that appeal, we've got brilliant character designs, consistently good episodes, a huge scope of the story unfolding into something you would never see coming, high quality animation for a television production and nifty mecha action.

In short, there is a lot to like.

you're just shitposting now.

And Eva was dark and brooding but had an incredibly positive message.

>I could say the same about doraemon.
Doesn't mean it's wrong.
If you're not going to discuss, you might as well refrain from posting.

favorite piece of music?

youtube.com/watch?v=kyRK2GI_T7I

>I would argue it was the second best "wild ride" here besides Geass
I have a friend that says Geass is a legitimately smart and "deep" anime. Never understood people who think it's anything more than a fun roller coaster ride

youtube.com/watch?v=aJo_3B5-1uk

yeah no, I'm not even of the opinion that Geass is conventionally good in a sense, despite some amazing aspects to it.

Geass is a wild fucking ride, and if R3 isn't the most batshit insane decision making i'll be disappointed. I'm talking about having the first episode be Lelouch and Shirley as husband and wife with kids weird.

Can't beat youtube.com/watch?v=VT6LFOIofRE

The fact that it's been 10 years without a normal ass blu-ray set boggles my mind. Would sell a ton

Why are the names so weird youtube.com/watch?v=TCfUtwWr_Tw

>People like this show because of the epic manly fights
Every fan of the show will be the first to tell you that most of the fight scenes on their own are nothing special, it's everything surrounding them that's great. The actual fighting part of the fight scenes are practically over in seconds

>Getter Robo clone
Best at anything.
KLK will always be better.

I will never ever understand this opinion till the day I die.

I didn't like the characters
I didn't like the setting
half of the designs are bad
completely unfocused on what it wanted to be
animation was abysmal "shit on purpose"
boring, unremarkable themes

the fact that you call it a Getter clone means you don't know what you're talking about anyway.

The worst part of the show are the side characters and the mascot mole thing, just why.
Oh and the entirety of part 2

if you were under 15 when you first saw the series, give it another shot.

>Getter Robo Clone
Confirmed to have never watched Getter Robo beyond the OPs

I saw it recently, and that makes no sense I would have loved it when I was 15

I only say that because if you don't think part 2 is the hottest shit, you have the opinions of a 14 year old.

Sure man whatever you say, it was really horribly written.

>gurren lagann is ten years old
>panty and stocking is almost 7 years old
>people who were born when FLCL came out are now learning how to drive cars
>people who were born when Evangelion came out can buy their own insurance and everything

fuck I'm getting old

My dick always get fucking diamonds when I see her. She was too good for this world.

If you think part 1 is well written and part 2 isn't, kys

nah, you were just upset you had to think a little bit, and mad at THE PRESIDENT OF THE GOD DAMN UNIVERSE.

Remember the name of the first movie user, Childhood's End.

>Gainax is dead
>Trigger isn't as good, and only recently redeemed itself fully
>Khara is fucking stalling because Anno wanked himself into a corner
>Daicon IV is stuck in copywrite purgatory
>Royal Space Force sequel probably never
>of all things its FLCL that is coming back

what a strange world we live in.

>KLK will always be better.
The Cutie Honey clone?

>You will never be 12 watching the yearly FLCL marathon on Adult Swim with your older brother ever again
It hurts

your just mad your bf Kamina got killed. Admit it. Kamina was just a plot device, Simon was the real MC all along.

wouldn't it make more sense if panty and stocking came back

of all the animes gainax made that was probably the one that had the most potential for more good stories

A decade and there still hasn't been a mecha that has surpass this show.

>Trigger isn't as good, and only recently redeemed itself fully
You mean LWA? I like it but come on, it isn't THAT good.

Why do people(/m/) say Getter Robo clone like it is a bad thing? Is GR not good at all?

Hell, PSG, Tribuster, a Princess maker anime.

Gainax has a goldmine of properties, just no talent left.

I'm excited for FLCL 2 and 3 though, it looks to me like they have a lot of the original team, The Pillows are back and I trust Production IG

it isn't peak Gainax good but it's enough to put them on the stage as a worthwhile company.

Has LWA been selling well? I hope they make enough money to finally throw a budget at an action show.

1 at least wasnt pretentious shit

Think about what? Holy shit you fanboys are the worst, this show is very shallow.

Nah never cared for him, there is no time to care for him

>Gurren Lagann
>pretentious

It's barely even zombie Gainax good. It's a disappointment in almost every way and absolutely not on the level of the OVA, KLK and Luluco. Your idea that it would "put them on the stage as a worthwhile company" is laughable.

sorry we are unable to have a conversation if you imply that KLK is acceptable.

As you wish. I just wanted to make clear that LWA TV is mediocre to bad in almost every way and your statement was meaningless.

I started it 2 days ago, im on episode 13. I feel like it is an hymn to manliness.

Are you guys mature enough to admit that Rossiu's actions were justifiable and that he did nothing wrong

leave this place, before you are spoiled. Have fun.

This user gets it.

No, but I'm mature enough to observe that that arc was hamfisted, emotionally manipulative and didn't fit the tone and the world of the show.

Yes, but consider that GL 15 had over 22000 frames of animation, whereas an important episode in your normal series has around 12000.
I think it still equates to GL's being superior even against a 52 episode animu because even by normal standards it is so infinitely superior.

No only Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann is way too similar to the Getter Emperor but also the Spiral Energy is way to similar to the Getter Rays an amazing source of energy that can even make mechas evolve and can also become a threat to the universe.

My man! It's hard to explain to someone that wasn't here during those years. The endless memes and edits. Without the filtering and search options we have now everything else on the board would be buried when a new episode dropped. Towards the finale ROW ROW WHITE THE POWA was played on Sup Forums by default. There was no escape. Hell of a time.

mental midgets and people who can't take any kind of change in emotional state are annoying.

Even the nips recognize that the shows is for kids, why can't you?

No need to get upset my dude. It was simply poorly written, childish and heavy handed.

Hope R3 will capture some of the glory days.

and? why does that make it less of a masterpiece or bad? plenty of great anime are directed at kids: Takarajima, Galaxy Express 999, 0079, Ideon, Devilman (the manga), Evangelion etc

>why does that make it less of a masterpiece or bad?
You're joking right?
>Takarajima, Galaxy Express 999, 0079, Ideon, Devilman (the manga), Evangelion et
None of these are for children.

Lucky Star is a better anime than TTGL.

It's ironic how calling something childish instead of criticizing it like a normal person would shows how childish the person is in the first place.

stop shitposting anytime.

youtube.com/watch?v=eh0qbJAQhgk
Start at 1 minute

I disagree, but now that i'm not a teenager, I do see the value in Lucky Star.

funny, EVA's first episode is just 6 days older than me

Devilman is definitely aimed at kids, I can't imagine someone older than 14 unironically liking it.

you are the faggot on the other side of the argument, the Devilman manga is a fucking classic.

normal people can't imagine grown men discussing chinese cartoons seriously and here we are

Everyone needs a shitpost fix, some just don't know it yet.

>I didn't like the characters
That's a shame since they're better and more flashed out than TTGL's.
>I didn't like the setting
That's a shame since it's more original and interesting than TTGL's.
>half of the designs are bad
But I'm willing to bet you adore the banana mecha.
>completely unfocused on what it wanted to be
I'm afraid you have no idea of what it wanted to be.
>animation was abysmal "shit on purpose"
Choppy animation used for comedic purposes is nothing new nor noreworthy.
>boring, unremarkable themes
What themes?