How can harem genre be fixed?

How can harem genre be fixed?

All new harems fail.

Tsundere male.

maybe actually have the MC actually fuck someone in his harem

realistic loser MC

Actual characters instead of archetypes.
Harem ends.

Basically take after Tenchi Muyo instead of Love Hina.

Stop trying to make the same harem with the same archetypes with the same beta mc and try to write something better.

Tenchi would sell like shit if it came out today.

have the MC fucking choose one

Already done and while Sup Forums drones off about how sugai alpha self-insert chad is they bomb just like the rest. Got anything else?

if all of mc's harem members were girls (male)

Innovation, which I know is anathema to anime these days.

All MCs are just Basara Toujo or Kizuna Hida. Doesn't necessarily have to be lewd, but have them go all in with it.

Change the formula entirely. Instead of MC being an inept retard that trips into girls' boobs (and they somehow fall in love with him because of this), make the MC as charismatic person who goes around convincing girls to sleep with him. Bonus points if the girls initially don't care about him or even dislike him.

Make the MC not be a dense mother fucker. Also

Those two aren't that good, they only look good if you compare them to Ichika.

Harem where ojou-sama and genki childhood friend team up to have better chances and agree to share MC if they win.

After a while they both realize how gay it could become if they'd share MC. Eventually MC doesn't seem interesting to them anymore and things happen. It's not presented in a dramatic way.

The rest is regular harem stuff.

Should've happend in IS obviously. That would've been great.

MCs that at least understand they have a harem are good enough in my book. Basara and Kizuna at least do what any guy would do in a harem.

Nobody would want to watch a harem anime with some alpha chad as the protagonist.

Have one take place in an actual harem, that gives the non-beta mc opportunity to fuck them all and it opens the door for exotic settings, political intrigue, action and all that stuff. Most importantly do not try to be self-aware about being a harem show, that went horrible with Renai Boukun.

Harems are best when they focus on slife of life elements rather than romance. The girls can be competing but the competition shouldn't be all that fierce, with one of the girls 'winning' and the others being dropped. Overall a harem is most enjoyable when it's relaxing and fun, not when it ruins the mood with relationshit drama.

>not wanting an anime where MC-kun tricks girls into letting him shove his dick up their buttholes
>"Well X-chan, Y-chan already said I could do it with her. So unless you're offering something better, I'll just go with her instead"

Bring back the perverted MCs like in Sora no Otoshimono and Lum.

here's a suggestion by Sorachi
>kill them all

That already happened in LN's many times. And did shit.

1. It's a retarded idea because everyone would end up hating the MC if he's mean to the girls.

2. You couldn't show that on TV anyway.

Make the MC earn his harem. Maybe make it the point of the series: otaku transfers to new high school with the goal of building up a harem. It will be kind of like Masamune-kun with the pretending to be hot idea, but not as cancerous and with actual planning based on the countless anime he's watched. Hijinks ensue as he tries to deal with the different archetypes, including actually liking his childhood friend but not choosing her because osananajimi is never meant to win.

This guy was the MC haremfags were asking for and he was shit. There is no hope for harems.

It's not as aesthetically pleasing when the MC 'wants' a harem.

I used to think so too but actually fuck that. It's really just NTRing yourself. Watching MC take my favorite girl at the end would kill me. Her losing would kill me too.

No, it is very pleasing, since you see progress and it feels like the show is actually getting somewhere, and provides an opportunity for a satisfactory ending.

Just kill it.

>self-inserting

To this day I still don't know why the fuck people do this. All I want to see is girls acting like giant whores, yet everyone is obsessed with the purity garbage.

Let the haremettes duke it out in a free for all in the last volume and the last one standing wins the MCbowl.

This is why male leads are a mistake.

Love Live would sell 3k and be forgotten next season if it had a male lead like they wanted at the start.

It's not pleasing to me and I'm the target audience. But be my guest, fund the show and see whether it resonates with the audience.

>All I want to see is girls acting like giant whores
You might want to step outside then or watch degenerate western TV.

Yuri spin-offs are the last hope.

By making good characters with actual depth that doesn't rely on the same overused tropes and with believable relationships progression. So it's basically impossible for 99% of LN writers.

I do it fairly often at clubs, but I want to see it in my animoo too. I'm probably fucked in the head from something, but I never really wanted a relationship; I just want to pump it and dump it. Finding a girl that's 100% OK with this makes it even better for me.

How about including some characters, not just bland tropes?

Oh, wait, that won't sell as many full body pillows. I guess that's why they aren't done anymore.

Remove the male MC and add yuri undertones.

Did yuuji earn his harem?

Read manga or watch hentai.

Only someone with decent 3D experience can say that. I hate you, go fuck yourself you mindless prick.

No, you're a subhuman who will be culled with the other degenerates when the day of the rope comes. Until then you should stop blogging.

It was done and it failed. Hard.

My comrades

I wish I could kill you desu

Railgun was shit and so is the Danmachi spin-off that's airing at the moment.

Harem genre only fails when it doesn't end with harem end.

Easy there, keyboard warrior.

Yet they outsell the main series.

Plot twist: The protagonist was retarded all along!

Show me successful harems with harem ends.

Kampfer and IS did that.

The mc has to be actually interesting and likeable. Maybe it's easier making weak female characters, but I find I like femcs in reverse harems more fun to watch than male mcs, I am thinking about the chick from "kiss him not me" as example.

Give the girls a reason to like the mc. Things are improving here, I admit it.

Romance has to move on, I know this is impossible in the genre but the story can't end with the two getting together.

Try to tell something, do not simply draw cute girls. This, for example, is something that Rokujouma understood, so you had your harem but you also had the author giving his opinion about what family is.

If even this didn't manage to sell there is no hope.

It only works as:
A visual novel/game, where the MC falls in love with one of the girls in each route
Having a full harem end

There is one well received series with canon harem end. And it's 20 years old.

We should let otome designers handle the female character designs, they are always much more interesting that the generic shite Japan comes up with when they pander to guys.

Just make a harem out of otome heroines desu.

What's considered shit sales? Episode 3 of ova 4 sold 6000 blurays in less than a week.

MC is fully aware and likes them all but he is a nice guy who doesn't want to hurt any of them. MC comes up with elaborate plans to give them all as much attention as he can while not upsetting anyone. He eventually becomes maniac who only feels pleasure if everthing is going just according to keikaku.

OVA sells more than TV anime so 6k is like the equivalent of 4k. So yes, pretty bad.

I sincerely believe that passable-tier harems will be good as yuri.

>Actual characters instead of archetypes.

This please, it is annoying that every character is literal checkbox for archetypes. Tsundere? Check. Big Tittied girl who is the butt of jokes? Check. Token Lolita? Check. Genki girl? Check. Childhood friend? Check.

Instead of having the "Tsundere" chick just be tsundere all the time, how about make her a more fully developed character who just is kind of tsun, kind of dere. Give her a family, likes and dislikes, friends, enemies, fears, and make her more believable. Instead of being a one note character, adding more depth with how they interact with the world and interact with the rest of the cast would go a long way in improving things.

character design in not the problem here

No, but it would help massively if I couldn't tell a whole character from her haircut.

They really would. You watch them for the girls so removing the guy improves them.

>Instead of having the "Tsundere" chick just be tsundere all the time, how about make her a more fully developed character who just is kind of tsun, kind of dere. Give her a family, likes and dislikes, friends, enemies, fears, and make her more believable

Still didn't work.

>all new harems fail

But user, Absolute Duo was well received in Japan.

Based mc that won't be afraid to tease the girls

More mcs like Sugisaki who are aiming for a harem end and also willing to put in the work to attain it.

It doesn't need fixing, it's perfectly fine as it is. The people complaining most likely aren't in the audience in the first place.

>1.2k sales

user...

In short, MC design is the problem. All harem series are dependent on the MC to be an interesting character, this is because every harem member interacts with him and that means more screen-time for him.

Now here's the problem, most Japanese harem MC are fucking boring and retarded mouthbreathers. They are not WORTH watching, they are not IMPRESSIVE, and they don't do anything INTERESTING. Making a reactionary MC for a harem is WRONG FUCKING DESIGN from the onset, what you need in these series is a revolutionary or active MC, the one that's pulling the strings and making the plot.

Being good to the harem members is something ANY random pleb can do, that shit where they say that he 'understands' them? How is that possible when most MC are dense retards who don't even see that the girl is hitting on him? Impressive (since this is what they are in these shows) girls want impressive qualities in a man, being good isn't good enough.

In most of these shows they try to fix that by making the MC save the harem in battle, therefor FORCING development with them. THIS, is only a stopgap solution and doesn't solve the fundamental problem that these MC are fucking boring and unworthy. They don't do anything of worth for his harem to like him, they don't do anything impressive enough for them to follow him. The more they use this stopgap the more it losses its affect throughout ALL similar shows because the problem is with the MC design.

And that is why these shows will fail more and more.

That show is massively overrated and he was essentially handed the harem by the plot too.

Not really, a good male lead makes things much more enjoyable. See Tarou from Hatsukoi Zombie who is likable, doesn't have a phobia of women, and gets along with other guys.

Of course, the opposite is also true, where the male lead is so stupid and terrible that they ruin everything. There are countless examples of those.

If nothing changes in a couple of years genre is dead. They all sell like shit.

They apparently sell well enough for harems to be made. Why not worry about genres that are actually dead instead?

>All harem series are dependent on the MC to be an interesting character

IS has one of the worst male leads ever made and it's the best selling harem series in history.

Mahouka and SAO are not exactly harems but they are borderline and they are popular despite trash tier male leads.

The only good harem lead is Araragi and he really does make the series more fun. He's the exception that proves the rule.

The importance of the MC is overestimated. Monogatari is hailed as a great harem example, yet Araragi is pretty much a non-character who is hardly even defined as a person and is essentially just a tsukkomi generator.

Those are an exception to the rule because the other characters or the world are more interesting to make up for the deficient MC. Dxd is also for the same reason good, because the world is interesting, not because of Issei.

Make it a yuri harem

If you need a male give him goals that don't
revolve around pussy. Make him a three dimensional character with hobbies, goals fears etc. Make all the girls three dimensional. Don't have their lives revolve around MC. Give them goals and desires. Give them and the MC similar hobbies to bond over. Have them fall in love with him over more than him being nice or saving them

Don't write it as a harem. Just have the main character and some girls start to like each other independently of each other. No fighting over him. Just separate friendships and then relationships.

It's nearly impossible for people who work in this industry. The target audience doesn't buy it anymore, so in order to satisfy those who view harem as nothing but self-insert garbage you have to massively improve the writing and make the harem where everything i.e. characters, romance, relationships, setting, etc. actually makes sense and isn't full of retarded cliches and plot conveniences. Simply adding one or two things that go against your standart harem tropes while leaving everything else as it is won't make people attracted to the genre because in the end it's still badly written harem shit. They have to rebuild from scratch.

user, literally all successful harems have shit male leads. The shittier and less relevant to the plot they are the better.

>The mc has to be actually interesting and likeable
>Give the girls a reason to like the mc
These are the big ones, and they tend to go hand in hand. Sure, no one watches a harem for the MC, but that doesn't change the fact that they are the main character. Most of the show will revolve around him and his interactions with the various girls. If he has the personality of a wet paper bag who the girls love because he's kind or because he's literally the only option, those interactions will never be fun or interesting.

Although I wouldn't say a MC has to be both interesting and likable. They do need to be at least one though.

>literally all successful harems have shit male leads
This.

It's amazing how retarded people on Sup Forums are. We're incredibly lucky that the people here aren't in charge of making anime.

And I'm telling you these MC don't belong in harem series, ALL of these series are good DESPITE the bad MCs.

MC swore himself to never really trust a girl because he had to see his father lose everything after the divorce.

The male MC gives the audience the opportunity to see for themselves what it would be like to be the male target of attention of the girls. They get to see the girls in love, interact with a guy who could be you, etc.

All that is not present if you don't have a male MC.

Basically the clincher is that we need to feel like the MC's deserve their harems. They need to have some reason that women are drawn to them, and be naturally charismatic enough that you could feasibly believe that a large amount of girls would be drawn to someone like that.
Most of them aren't that charismatic which is the problem.

That the entire point you bake.

If male lead is a good character it means he needs to have a lot of screen time to establish he's a good character. That takes screen time from the girls and almost always ends up killing the show.

Nobody watches harem to watch a guy be badass and kick ass. That's what shonenshit is for and most people grow out of it pretty fast.

There were so many series like this nobody cares anymore.

That's why GuP or LL became crazy hits without male lead.

>we need to feel like the MC's deserve their harems
No, we don't. As said: this is not the problem.

An MC who 'deserves' their harems by real world metrics would be an unlikeable chad and your show would fail marvellously because the audience couldn't identify with him and thus not root for him.

GuP became a crazy hit because it's essentially a sports anime where you root for the underdog fight his way to the top. In addition it also had cute girls and tanks. That's why it was successful.
It had nothing to do with a male MC or not. Even if it did have a male MC it would still have been successful. Love Live too. Yurifags who can't deal with male MCs are an insignificant minority.

maybe by giving the MC a reason why he's so popular
like, I dunno, he's the only attractive male-witch in a five mile radius and their race is slowly dying/endangered so they have awesome magical battles for who gets to fuck-marry- him

This, people forget that the MC is supposed to be the self-insert character. They are supposed to be as bland as possible so anyone can self insert.

It is supposed to appeal to the salary man making $60k a year working 100 hour weeks with no wife AND the shut in fat Otaku who is living off of the government.

The moment you start adding characters and making them less generic you lose markets. If you had some 10/10 alpha chad who could get any girls he likes, you lose the Otaku and businessmen.

MC is eccentric and genuinely loves himself, looks pretty and gay but is really just gay for himself. Girls try hard but can't win.

>MC who 'deserves' their harems by real world metrics would be an unlikeable chad

This holy shit. That's why crap like Hagure Yuusha is unwatchable.