Gundam 0079

Should I watch the original Gundam 0079 series or the movies?

Should I not watch any of 0079 because it's all bad?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=TddFpfBGkN8&t=18m58s
youtube.com/watch?v=_XDZn4Z2e7A&t=15m45s
youtube.com/watch?v=ziD00EtOOpU&t=20m24s
youtube.com/watch?v=ziD00EtOOpU&t=18m4s
youtu.be/Cf_lDST4Q84
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

0079 is the best Gundam show so you should definitely watch it. Both show and movies are viable, movies cut out a few cool fights and they alter the final battle in a subtle way to make the villain not lose as hard in a part where he's supposed to be curbstomped (which I hate because its completely missing the point to appeal to the villains fanbase) but it has nicer animation and is more focused.

The 0079 movies are good and very accessible. I watched those first, then the full series a couple of years later. The series is still worth watching if you like the movies for the extra character development and world building. One thing you must watch though even if you pass on both is the OVA for Gundam: The Origin.

I'll be honest I'm already watching both, I watched the first 13 episodes and now I'm watching the first movie

I decided the series is worth watching when I skimmed through the first movie and saw they removed every trace of the "Zeon helping Earth Federation civilians" story, which isn't really plot relevant but is extremely thematically relevant.

I decided the movies are worth watching too when I noticed they fixed the scene where Kai gets scared fighting a bunch of tanks. In the TV there was a really jarring contrast between the very polished drawings of Kai freaking out inside the cockpit and the extremely rushed mecha action drawings. In the movie they made both equally polished.

I'm just curious to read other people's opinions to be fair and so I framed OP as a "should I watch" question

>0079
>bad

I saw a bunch of clips of the OVAs and it doesn't look as cool as the manga to me. By general modern anime standards it's really good (some lively animation, not going full retard with digital colors), so I'll probably watch it anyway, but compared to the manga's drawings it feels, I dunno, a little bland. As of now I have the manga as a higher priority.

Also I normally hate colorized manga (I shit and puke blood whenever someone posts color Jojo) but here it's actually good. I have no idea if it was Yasuhiko who did it or a more-tasteful-than-usual colorist.

Actually I almost want to save the manga for last, just skimming through it I love this art. All the charm of the style and storyboarding of the 70s show but ironing out the wonkiness that came from the low budget.

>they alter the final battle in a subtle way to make the villain not lose as hard
I don't remember this part.

Also a good transition to manga, it doesn't just feel like an anime storyboard

Since I'm very ADD about sticking to a single thing I might just watch a third of the show, a movie and then a third of the manga. Then switch back to the anime and continue in the same order.

During last shooting, Amuro predicts Char's ambush and programs the Gundam to shoot him down while it gets shot down, Char just barely escaped but Amuro uses it as a diversion and is waiting for him and has a beat on him with his pistol. In the movie Char also programs the Zeong to shoot down at Gundam when it comes in and is waiting for Amuro and gets the beat on him

0079 is the only gundam that is any good

Oh wow. This surely proves Amuro's moral superiority.

I can't see the Origin manga being bad unless it completely destroys a lot of what 0079 stood for in terms of narrative

Does it do that? I don't care about spoilers I already know most of what happens in 0079 and its follow-ups

>I can't see the Origin manga being bad unless it completely destroys a lot of what 0079 stood for in terms of narrative
No, it destroys it from thematic perspective. Tomino's style depends a lot on subtle storytelling and characterization. Changing the tone of scenes that were in the movie and adding in new material here and there completely changes the meaning of the story even if most of the plot-points are essentially the same.
Other than that it is a fun yarn.

I just checked and this is not correct.

In both versions Char gets shot down by the Gundam.
Char leaving and having his mech shoot automatically like Amuro, doesn't happen. Not in the series and not in the movie.
The movie simply shows how Char escapes before his machine crashes to the ground and explodes.

In both versions Amuro gets blasted away by the explosions, but is unharmed. He then senses where the Zabi leader is.
Afterwards Char starts talking to him from behind.
He's suprised in both versions.
Amuro turns around and aims at him.
Char himself is armed in both versions but doesn't aim at Amuro cause he's still talking and that's cooler.

Amuro didn't wait for Char and Char didn't program his mech.

It's the same thing except for minor details.

0079 is great, animation aside, I think it has a lot of depth towards it and I can appreciate how complex a lot of the arcs are. I wouldn't get the BD releases for it since I don't think there are any specific scenes that look outstanding on it but I was fine with just Zeonic-Corps's rip.

Doan's Island needs to be seen in HD

I finished the 0079 movies and thought they were fucking ass. I couldn't sit through the series so I just went with it. My biggest complaints are disjointed scenes, it's probably thanks to the format, and how badly it aged.
Amuro was a fucking bitch as well.
Honest question, why is Gundam so popular?
0079 was the worst gundam show I've seen.
How did the franchise survive this long?

The animation and/or art can be shit but also quite good as far as 70s TV animation goes. Not Future Boy Conan or Anne of Green Gables-good since it's obviously very cheap but it's a much better looking low-budget show than, for example, Tomino's Zambot 3. The stock footage people shit on may have kept it from getting that hilariously messy.

The part where the Zaku burns up during atmosphere entry wasn't fluid but it was great (pic related).

The storyboarding is generally good and sometimes the great pilot POV shots can mesh with competent animation and it feels cool youtube.com/watch?v=TddFpfBGkN8&t=18m58s

For a more subtle example, some of the action can have good impact like here: youtube.com/watch?v=_XDZn4Z2e7A&t=15m45s

A lot of of the explosions can be cool when they're actually trying youtube.com/watch?v=ziD00EtOOpU&t=20m24s

youtube.com/watch?v=ziD00EtOOpU&t=18m4s

This is just shit I remembered offhand and not quite the best, I kinda wish I'd been autistic enough to note every single bit of good animation at the exact same episode, minute and second as it happened

>0079 is the only gundam that is any good
>0079 was the worst gundam show I've seen.
boy oh boy here comes the shit flinging

Maybe start with Turn A? You don't necessarily need a lot of Gundam knowledge to enjoy it but having seen earlier entries helps. I think it's a beautiful series and a good starting point if you aren't used to the animation in 0079. I actually started with the original trilogy and worked my way around towards Turn A but I found it weird how there was no Zeon or Federation but still fascinating. If you like Turn A enough and get interested in the lore I think you'd enjoy checking out earlier UC stories.

Agreed 10/10 episode.

0079 is a good watch and its definitely needed for context in literally any Gundam series (even the AUs).

Gundam fight may not have the best animation, but the choreography is suprisingly good a lot of times.

Good post.
Here's some shitty webms I made of scenes that I thought looked good.

i'm halfway through the original 0079 show
i thought char would be some cool guy, but he just seems to lose spectacularly in every ep he's in

visually the show is a lot better than i thought it would be. although sometimes it does reuse scenes.
im so fucking sick of amuro's drama however.

>i thought char would be some cool guy, but he just seems to lose spectacularly in every ep he's in
Zeta is when Char gets massive focus; the last 10 or so episodes of 0079 he gets a bit more than his average take.
>amuro drama
There's just enough imo and there's honestly nothing egregious that he does unlike several Gundam protagonists.

I don't want to start a shitstorm, simply curious why people love it.
Watched it because I was told that the origin and unicorn are good, but 0079 is a must before watching either.

TV show then third movie.

>origin and unicorn are good
Origin makes Char into a Sith Lord more or less.
Unicorn is incredibly average due to its failure to capitalize on some great ideas. Also very pretty.
You might want to be warned about UC burnout as well.

burnout?
are they going to recycle ideas, characters and storylines, or am I going to grow tired of UC in general?

I watched both the shows and the movies. I'd recommend watching both, but if you can't handle filler, then you'd probably like the movies more.

The movies are training wheels

You're a /m/an so watch the whole series

Amuro didn't program it to do anything, it was that the Gundam's learning computer got so advanced that it was able to make the final shot by itself.

I've not seen any other Gundam aside from G (which is really a super robot show) before this so I can't compare it to the others but I'm enjoying 0079 so far (at ep 13 now) because

-It just does a good job at delivering a more down-to-earth atmosphere while still having more dramatic moments with stylish expressionistic color use and whatnot when it fits

-The themes about war & moral shades of grey are delivered pretty well, doesn't feel too preachy & can even be strikingly subtle (the part in ep 4 where the captain dies for example)

-It's very, very iconic in its design and storyboarding. New elements are introduced in visually memorable ways and details like Amuro running away from the Zaku's falling bullet casings in ep 1 do a great job at showing off the sheer scale of everything. That along with stuff like the POV mech-piloting shots puts you in the characters' shoes & nails the whole feeling of "this is a dangerous scary war"

-I can get the "autistic Tomino" stuff given the character interaction but it still does its job well and once again has some nice subtle touches
I think I've seen you post that boulder scene on /m/; it's pretty clever action, yeah.

I think the arm-chopping should include maybe a few extra frames or something because I like seeing the little charred bits of Zaku blowing off the sword (like in this gay tumblr gif)

0079 TV is the fastest marathon I did in the last decade. So good.

Yasuhiko doesn't color digitally, they're from the Comic Walker edition.

Same, I watched the last 30 episodes in 6 days
I think I got bored after Ramba Ral and it was a bit of a chore, but then it becomes a wild ride again.

>watching the compilation movies of any series
>ever

Nothing wrong with watching the Gundam movies as long as you watch the series first.

I only had issues with the island episode and the last ones starting with Shalia Bull bare the last 3 ones.

Ramba Ral was a fucking man, I loved how they handled that arc

That's no zaku, boy

Watching the 3rd movie is mandatory.

Yas painted them all with watercolors iirc.

Both, and its more or less the same central characters (Amuro, Char, and Bright) throughout the OG quadrilogy (0079, Zeta, ZZ, CCA)

この絵でつられた日本人おる?

>Bright
His presence in Unicorn made it worth watching for me. I think I had UC burnout, but in the opposite sort of way: I can't really watch anything late UC because I can't bring myself to care about the characters the same way I did for the early UC characters. I didn't care for F91 and stopped watching Victory Gundam about five episodes in. And all of the pre-0096 struggles seem futile when you realize that the conflict never ends. It's similar to real life, I guess.

youtu.be/Cf_lDST4Q84