This man has never made a bad movie

This man has never made a bad movie.

He's made some pretty forgettable ones.

Why are moefags so sour?

NausicaƤ

I can only enjoy Ponyo if I'm under some sort of influence, otherwise it's just gorgeous animation wasted on a boring and dumb plot.

And Totoro is a little overrated. Not bad, but it's not exactly the GOAT everyone makes it out to be.

Why couldn't he just go with the romance angle

Howl's Moving Castle is fucking garbage.

Howl's Moving Castle.

Wind Rises and Ponyo are pretty bad. Feel like the only reason he came out of retirement those times was to clean up his sons fuck up and then to make up for his own shit just to fuck up his swan song so he needs to make one last movie to hopefully redeem himself

Totoro, Porco Rosso and Kiki's are the essential Miyazaki movies, and Ponyo is the one that comes closer to those. Western normalfags overrate the shit out of his most derivative and overproduced works like Spirited Away. I would expect some better taste around here, but this is nu/a/ we are talking about after all.

I thought they were great.

Kiki's should have been longer. It was awesome, but why not even more awesome? There wasn't any good reason for it to end so abruptly. It feels like some jew producer jewed him out of half an hour of screentime instead of a proper ending.

How are Nausicaa, Laputa, Princess Mononoke, Spirited Away, and Howl's Moving Castle not the essential Miyazaki movies? They all follow much more similar narratives, there's many more of that style, and Nausicaa was the first official Ghibli movie.

>Western normalfags overrate the shit out of his most derivative and overproduced works like Spirited Away
You are just being contrarian and putting down a great film for being popular

this desu, no matter how you look at it Spirited Away is in his top 3.

Why is it so cool to hate on Howl's Moving Castle? Because it did well in the west? Because it's one of the most traditional romances? Or is it just because it wasn't a faithtful adaptation?

I didn't feel a sense of adventure or fantasy, just didn't click with me.

What's the general consensus on From Up on Poppy Hill?

>hate
Learn a few more words and return.

Good movie to watch alongside your children and a couple of beers.

Read that as "a couple of bears"

Pretty sure Miyazaki had no part of it.

easily the worst ghibli movie I finished.
Attempted to watch EarthSea 3 times,
but never got to the end

It's okay. No like it because I have a weak spot for stuff taking place in older ,but still modern, Japan.

What about this?

that wasn't him you mong, and it was still better than Ponyo and Wind Rises.

*I like it

Romance?
Where?

I just want Goro to finally direct something decent

From Up on Poppy Hill is by a wide margin the absolute worst Ghibli film.

Looks like your average Miyazaki flick. What about it? I see brilliant fantasy elements on that poster alone. And some brilliant art direction.

he looks weirdly monkey-like

Almost as boring as Tales from Earthsea

that is extremely sensitive to monkeys

But has made bad opinions more than once.

If Ghibli uses Totoro to present itself as a studio, does Shinkai use anything? I've only seen Stars and Wallpapers, and know next to jackshit otherwise.

Clouds, he loves him some clouds

He plasters his name all over the poster and credits. Not sure if that's what you mean.

Tears. Or trains. They both mean the same thing to me now, anyway.

>Wind Rises
Is shit. And boring.

Do whatever you feel like doing (engineering?) and don't assume any responsibilities for your actions, and fuck everyone else, specially your wife, she is just there to support you, if she is sick, is her problem.
"We are doing war planes in war time for the fascists, but is not our responsibility if they kill people with them"

Came here to say this.

It brings up so many subplots and never really resolves any of them. Its a really confusing movie.

Yeah it almost felt like Miyazaki was forced to make a movie about something he had no experience in, and he said yes to it just so he could write some scenes into it that featured girls

The sky in general.

>This
I thought the same at the beginning, but then I heard and interview and he said that it was a really personal story and that he though that the guy was very important for the history of Japan.

>and he said that it was a really personal story
I didn't know Miyazaki was an engineer. Learning more every day.

I may need to check my grammar, but you need to check your vocabulary. Personal is not autobiographical. Just personally important or appealing for him.

Yeah, Kingdom of Dreams and Madness goes into this I think.

But then that just makes me feel like it's a hagiographic movie, because the guy doesn't have much of a personality and only exists to make planes and engage in an incredibly bland love affair.

It was also and awful fucking decision to give Anno the role. Though maybe a boring character deserves a one-note "voice actor".

Yeah but an interview is just that. I personally felt like he was forced to make a movie about something he had no experience in.

I agree, is like they didn't even know about him, just worship him. Or may be he was really as plain and plane-obsessed as the film suggest.

>maybe a boring character deserves a one-note "voice actor"
In this way it may even be a good voice actor casting choice.

Agreed.

Also Totoro is grossly overrated and Howl has really bad pacing problems.

>In this way it may even be a good voice actor casting choice.

That could only work if the character was meant to be awkward and stilted, and if it made his interactions with other characters look that much more uncomfortable for him. They could've easily gone for something like that, but instead you get someone who's just perfectly generic and dedicated to their job.

And this really isn't a trivial issue, because so much of the film hinges on his subjective perspective with things like plane dreams or the weird exaggerated earthquake at the beginning of the film. These things could've been incredibly effective if the MC had a perspective worth exploring.

Nausicaa movie is the best thing he's ever done right after the manga you tasteless plebeian

Spirited away is a great movie,its just that most of his movies are way better

>hating on something just because it's popular
sad. many such cases.

The first half was amazing. Then they introduced the twists and that kinda ruined it.

It was still OK though.

OBJECTIVE MIYAZAKI FILM RANKING:

Spirited Away > Princess Mononoke > Kiki's Delivery Service > Porco Rosso > Howl's Moving Castle > Totoro > Nausicaa > Castle in the Sky > Ponyo > Cagliostro > On Your Mark > Wind Rises

My children disagree.

>Cagliostro that low, even below Ponyo
You've baited me well.

Shit taste/10

Dumb frogposter

dumb frogposter

My Neighbor Totoro > The Wind Rises > Kiki's Delivery Service > Spirited Away > Cagliostro > Laputa > Ponyo > Porco Rosso > Princess Mononoke > Nausicaa > Howl's Moving Castle

>this thread still up
Christ. I expected Sup Forums to be smarter than this. OP here. I played you all.

*Never made a good movie.

Or a good one. As a male that isn't a libtard, none of his movies have struck me as that amazing.

So.... after seeing this thread, I gotta question how many haters does this man actually have (specially in Japan) for his opinion on the anime and mistake and shit.

Boring subplots

He has literally never made one good movie.

You can't all pretend now after I've come clean right here >Better luck next time

read >

How is this even possible when Tales of Earthsea was so fucking terrible.

If you are not gonna bother answering my question then kindly fuck off. Also sorry for bumping your own thread.

Stop using words you don't understand. No need to be rude just because I called you out on that. This isn't your safespace bud. I can go and respond to you as I please. If you want a more controlled hivemind visit reddit sometime and stay there.

I've seen like one Miyazaki movie kek

I think is right. Is like saying that fast food killed gastronomy. I agree, I like cuisine, but I also like fast food.

And this isn't neither your personal safespace fag. You can go to reddit, or go to tumblr, and sorry if I don't care about what you say, I stay here and respond you whathever I want. Fuck off now.

>but it isn't yours either
You see. I never told people to fuck off. Unlike you. You can't just bounce back the argument like that. It doesn't work that way.

>food analogy
So this is the mindset I need to degrade myself to when watching Miyazaki movies... naruhodo

The same can not be said about his son

Not even with an analogy as simple as the fast-food analogy you seem to get the point. Sad. Don't degrade your mind(set) even more or you'll find yourself enjoying Chobits...

His movies just looks good. The stories are just drecks

>as simple
>the
>unironically uses food analogies

He just makes the same ones over and over again.

>He hates a movie purely because muh liberals and no valid reason
Wew,

>hate
Read >

>expected something
>got nothing

At least the cat movie thing was almost cute, almost.

he should come out as a nazi 2bh

I agree

Japan doesn't hate him for saying that, because that is not a real translation.

The only GREAT Miyazaki movie is Castle of Cagliostro.

Totoro is probably his worst.