Libraries and Politics

This thread is dedicated to the political positioning of libraries and librarians, as well as their role in society. My background includes ongoing full time professional work in public libraries and a graduate degree in library sciences. I am also one of the very few center-right librarians left in the USA.
Begin.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=Z2OcbeGqbpU
youtube.com/watch?v=uXiU6kiq_Ms
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kyushu_J7W
journals.cambridge.org/images/fileUpload/documents/Duarte-Haidt_BBS-D-14-00108_preprint.pdf
businessforum.com/WSJ_Race-on-Campus-05-06-2016.pdf
devinhelton.com/why-urban-decay
sciencedaily.com/releases/2010/05/100520213116.htm
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Internet killed libraries.

Steadying circulation statistics would beg to differ. Also, libraries are adapting to offer more than books and computer stations. This can also be a great political avenue of discussion.

>libraries are adapting to offer more than books and computer stations
Like what?

I commend you for your duty in representing the few center-right librarians. I'm an English major, myself. Would that qualify well for the line of work you undertake, or does it require the more specific advanced degree you attained?

3D printers
Carnival-esque events
Digital delivery services (books and audiobooks)
Miniaturized outlet libraries
Equipment rentals
Laptop rentals
Video game lending
Conventions (gaming, anime, other interests)
Conference room renting
Genealogy classes
Literary lectures
QR code library card replacements
Library use Steam accounts
all off the top of my head.

English is a good start. The preliminary (read: bachelor's) degree doesn't necessarily have a restriction, but you need to have a Master's in Library and Information Sciences degree in order to officially and professionally become a librarian.

OK, thank you for the information. I'm also aware of OP picture anime; I had seen it in the mid-2000s.

Yomiko is the essential library waifu, and it's good you know her.

Yes, although at the time, I was more of a fan of Nenene.

Nenene is also a good girl and another excellent library waifu, so you can still stick with her

>I am the very model of a modern future library

What's your classification system, and what basis do you use for it? I'm trying to develop my own classification model and have found library sciences quite useful in this regard. Speak to this if you will

how often do you catch homeless dudes masturbating?

Dewey for nonfiction and last name author order for general fiction. Graphic novels are separated by age group (child, adult, teen), while manga is given its own section due to high volume counts per series.

Alternatives would be Cutter classification and Library of Congress classification, but neither are viable for a personal collection due to a lack of variety and expanse that is seen in places that do use these systems, if this is what you're doing.

If you're trying to re-invent the wheel, I suggest you don't, as LOCC is great on its own but, if you must, you can use that system as a basis since Cutter is a hellzone between Dewey and LOCC.
Only once in my assistant years in an inner city library. Never as a professional in a nicer service area.

there are rumors and jesuits and jews with their good goyim actively scrubbing libraries clean across the West.
do you know anything similar to that?

Why on earth do people need a masters for it?

*rumors of

Thanks for the insight user, appreciated

Can you tell me more?
I'm a grad student and make extensive use of libraries of all types.
What kind of impact does the ideological inclination of librarians have on the stack holdings or library operations in general?
Public Libraries in the USA are infested with homeless people, I've noticed. They're dreadful. But university libraries etc. tend to be pretty nice. Any thoughts?

PS: Libraries here (japan) are fucking amazing.
PPS: UK libraries are also homeless magnets.

you're very ignorant.
For one thing, many people go to libraries to use the internet. Also, they're probably more used now than 15 years ago, at least in Japan.

You seem very ambitious. Anything to fight back against leftism in academia is appreciated

t. music student who got some spiel about Wagner being "problematic" because he wrote about Jews once

>This can also be a great political avenue of discussion.
Can you elaborate, please?

how do you feel about (((them))) purging all of David Irving's work from the planet? Do you know if any of the libraries you have worked at carry his books? From what I read that bullshit court case ruined his life and publishers refuse to print any of his books.

Are you a native Japanese or a foreigner? What are you in grad school for?

Foreigner.
I'm in grad school doing Japanese history.
Japanese studies in general is very leftist, but there are a lot of extremely bright people in the field, and Japanese history tends to be a little more critical than literature, sociology (pure cancer), etc.

KEKed

>Japanese history
do you learn about the good part?

libraries today are an symtom of white supremacy capitalism. it calims to give out free information but they are always miles away from brown and black areas. intead of giving blac kand brown people access to books and knowledge. it does its best to keep it away from black and bronw people. if blacks were given access to books on history, business and sciences. the white surpemacy system would fall in weeks. instead it doens't allow this to happen

end white supremacy capitalsim

Ah I see, where are you originally from? What made you want to pursue grad school in Japan?

In run down areas hit by Negro infestations, libraries are stripped of everything but the books. If Negros where human, they'd start their own libraries if they felt so inclined

How will libraries survive the switchover to ebooks?

whats funny?

I can't say I've ever studied the legendary teikokushoujo. I'll say this though, 99% of Japanese soldiers sent to fight the frontlines, be it on the mainland, southern campaigns, etc., absolutely fucking hated every second of it, and hated their superiors, and hated the Imperial project, and hated the Mitsubishi/Mitsui zaibatsu, and hated Mantetsu, and basically just wanted to go home and eat rice and go to onsen and chill the fuck out. And presumably read mangas.

The idea that those soldiers were particularly motivated or enthusiastic about empire building is pretty much BS, shy of a few select units in in the kantôgun and the airforce.

They were conscripted peasant boys for the most part, and their superiors were total cunts.

War is hell lads, pray you never experience it. Thank your lucky stars you can spend all day shitposting and enjoying beautifully-drawn soft erotica from the Orient while eating tasty snacks.

you are a sick person

I'd rather not say, but I'm not from an anglophone country anyway.

I love history and the subject I'm researching (it would be super easy to find me if I told you what it was specifically).

Grad school is, I think, a much better job than almost any corporate gig, assuming you don't mind low pay, slightly lower sexual market value (no career), fewer future prospects, etc. Also assuming you have good funding.

It is so peaceful though, all day spent reading. Some days spent shitposting on Sup Forums too :^)

Yes, I am in fact a person, not a Negro beast

Indonesia

>99% of Japanese soldiers sent to fight the frontlines, be it on the mainland, southern campaigns, etc., absolutely fucking hated every second of it
That's actually pretty interesting, Americans are generally taught that Japanese soldiers where. Overwhelmingly zealous about the cause during the war.

is that the magic paper girl

There are probably many people still interested in checking out physical books, which I do. I don't prefer eBooks, normally, unless the book is very obscure and out of print, then best found in an eBook format. I also tend to read ancient and medieval literature online, as well.

>I'd rather not say
Understandable, a few nations on this board choose to avoid identifying themselves for obvious reasons.
>The subject I'm researching is a great interest, but if I told you you'd know where I was from
Saying this only piques my curiosity more
What's the academic culture like in Japan? Hearing about it in the USA made me pursue private sector work over grad school. What does your program actually require you do? What are the research requirements?

yeah, what most people who aren't into history/militaries don't understand is that (all) armies that heavily utilize conscription are literally full of people who don't want to be there and wouldn't be if they had a choice. basically pic related

Yeah I'd like to see a citation for that. I daresay that they did fight hard and gave it 100% - they had tremendous discipline, and failure to obey/ live up to your fellow unit-member's expectations would be met with great severity. But if your read their diaries they FUCKING HATED it.

Japanese in general are pretty good at zealously giving 100% even when they hate their situtaion.

I'd recommend soldiers alive if you havent read/seen it. Most soldiers memoirs/diaries (and there are many) record basically how war is complete fucking shit. And it is.

Teikoku shojo pictures are cute and all but honestly it's kind of nuts to romanticise war, specially the pacific/continental/southern campaigns. Everyone had fucking beriberi and trenchfoot mane that shit was awful.

>There are probably many people still interested in checking out physical books
This, also same. What're some of the most unique books in your collection?

Hi me 3 years ago: You should leave before it is too late.

What do you do with a degree like that outside of libraries?

I have very few strict requirements, like most research grants. Almost no supervision, which is normal.

I have virtually no contact with the Japanese academic culture, which is also normal for researchers.

I'm just collecting resources from libraries and reading them, all day. Occasionally I reach out to fellow academics in similar fields.

I'd say this is representative of 90% of humanities grad students from abroad in Japan.

A few, usually ones with bad Japanese, band together into little support groups, but I stay away from those. The members are always awful, and there's a 1:1 correlation between speaking shit Japanese and being a lunatic SJW.

underrated, have a (You)

Very true. If everyone shitposting on Sup Forums today was conscripted and sent off to Afghanistan or something, I GUARANTEE that our collective diaries would be 99% moaning about how much we miss being at home, watching Twitch.tv and eating cheetos, playing with our dogs, kicking back with our girlfriends, going hunting in the woods, etc.

War is just completely fucking shit.

>reddit spacing
You have to go back.

>Centre-right

Godspeed. What are your views on race?

>I'd like a citation
Sadly most American education - Especially k-12 doesn't normally use citations when spreading information I've noticed. Just present information as factual and expect students to remember it. Citing the Japanese bum rush, the banzai charge; or the Zero suicide pilots as evidence of such presumed mindsets
>Soldiers alive
I'll check it out thanks, I'm reading a book right now which speaks to the historical difficulty Americans and Japanese have had in understanding one another if you'd be interested. It's called "America and Japan : The Twain meet" by Jack Seward
>It's nuts to romanticize war
I agree, and have a specific question you'd probably be able to answer. Is it true the primary motivation for the Japanese attack on the USA was their boycott of Japanese scrap metal shipments which impeded their intentions of spreading to mainland China? Additionally, did the Germans ever establish a joint research lab in Japan during or before the war? Is it true that prior knowledge of pearl harbor was held by Roosevelt and allowed it to happen because they wanted to go to war with Japan?

I mainly collect history books, especially biographical books about ancient, medieval, and early modern generals; Napoléon, Julius Caesar, Flavius Aetius, Attila the Hun, Pyrrhus of Epirus, Alexander the Great, and still growing. More generally, I have quite a few ancient Greek, Roman, and Dark Ages European history books. I'm looking to understand more of the 17th, 18th, and 19th centuries, though.

Have you read the report written by the one (and only) US Officer to be allowed to embed with and study the Japanese army? It was written sometime shortly aftet the start of the Chinese campaign, I can't remember the name of the officer though. His take on them is pretty interesting. He talks about how Japanese soldiers had tremendous discipline and bravery but that their downfall is that their zeal/bushido ideas made them "excellent warriors, but not excellent soldiers". What he meant was that they would work themselves into a battle frenzy befitting that of a samurai warrior of ages past, but in the modern era such rash decision making and ignoring orders just got them killed (especially officers).

>don't romanticize war
that's a tall order considering that humans have being doing it since the very concept of war has existed

bonus points for you history lad if you can tell me what kind of plane is in this image

>Video game lending

Tax dollars go towards this? Seems strange.

>Literary lectures
Can you provide access online?

I am the very model of a modern future library,
I've information classical, modern, and liberal,
I know the kings of England, and I've gots books going wall to wall,
From reality to fiction too, in order Dewey-decimal,
I'm very well acquainted too, with matters lax and personal,
I understand the people, both slackers and literal-compatible,
In exchange for this poem I'm expecting quite a fair few (you)s, (bothered for a rhyme)
With many cheerful facts of about the new books of Hemingway's

youtube.com/watch?v=Z2OcbeGqbpU
youtube.com/watch?v=uXiU6kiq_Ms

Sounds good, my history section is sorely lacking quality, mostly have science/religious books presently. A number of language books, and some Warhammer40k fiction

(you)

> Is it true the primary motivation for the Japanese attack on the USA was their boycott of Japanese scrap metal shipments which impeded their intentions of spreading to mainland China?

Hey, this isn't my specific field so I'm afraid that I don't know too well. however, I know that Eri Hotta recently published a very accessible and apparently well researched semi-pop history book on the topic, called "1941: Countdown to Infamy". Hotta is a solid scholar, and I believe this book will likely answer most of your questions re. PH. I'd also add that my understanding is that the Toseiha (a pejorative term for a faction of the IJA that wanted to expand the empire southwards into the pacific islands) believed that the USA would not tolerate this type of expansion, and elliminating USA's power to project power in the pacific would allow for massive advance. However I haven't researched the full nature of the question. I'll get to part 2 in a second.

Kek

>be japanese
>get conscripted to fight a hopeless war against an infinitely superior foe in the name of your nasty conniving and soulless insect-'emperor'
>get trenchfoot
>get shot

Truly glorious nippon.

> Additionally, did the Germans ever establish a joint research lab in Japan during or before the war?

I'm sure there were many joint research projects with Germany - a lot of German advisors and consultants were involved with many Japanese government, academic, civil, and military projects. Can you be more specific? The answer is yes, basically.

>Is it true that prior knowledge of pearl harbor was held by Roosevelt and allowed it to happen because they wanted to go to war with Japan?

I've not heard this conspiracy theory - they seem to abound around Roosevelt. It seems wildly unlikely to me, since if they had the intel they could've cleared out their ships, let the attack happen, and have their excuse for a war without losing 1/2 of their fleet! I don't buy this one, just on the basic logic.

I'm afraid manga aeroplane identification is not my field.
The warrior/bushido stuff is semi-plausible, but let's not get confused: The IJA was a formidable force, and absolutely trounced almost every non-western military it engaged with, especially when you remove air superiority from the equation. If they were 'bad soldiers', what does that make the KMT and CCP armies? Sheeeeit

BTW it's a Mitsubishi G4M probably.

Honestly Japan is pretty great, and they could've easily conquered SEA and northeast China. Overextending into mainland china beyond Manchuria/ Dongbei, and obviously beefing with the USA was retarded. It was the IJA's equivalent of the Nazi advance on the Soviet Union.

But yeah honestly war from the perspective of foot soldiers is normally an absolutely appaling affair, no matter how noble the cause. Look at the battlefields of Bastogne, Normandy, Stalingrad, etc., absolutely fucking awful. Diplomacy really needs to be pursued at all costs IMO.

>joint research
here's an interesting little story:
1945, Japan noticed Germany had created a successful jet fighter program and asked Germany to send an example of one of their jet engines along with the technical documents needed to produce them (blueprints, etc.). Germany obliged and sent two ships, one with a few example engines and a one with the technical documents. The ship with the documents got sunk but the engines made it. The Japanese military decided to try and produce the engines by eyeballing it from the examples they had. Imagine trying to recreate an engine just by looking at it. This resulted in several test engines exploding in the faces of Japanese engineers and killing them. Japan almost had a functional jet but the war ended before any of the designs exited trials.

>If they were 'bad soldiers', what does that make the KMT and CCP armies?
No one is disputing that Chinese armies were dogshit

>I don't know, but I can point you in the right direction
Much appreciated user, I'll check it out
>Japan struck the USA to prevent it from being a future threat
Yes this is generally the narrative you'll find here taught in the USA too. I've read alternative motivations though and have been curious about it
>Yes, but can you also be more specific?
It's going to sound silly, but when I was younger I had some past life memory stuff about world war two. A lot of stuff I'd never heard about before, and one element was of traveling to Japan while accompanying several German officers to establish a lab with Japanese scientists on bioweapons. There was also talk between Imperial and German representatives on some weird occult stuff
>I haven't heard it, but it doesn't make sense
There is another one I've heard about how the boats where actually empty, or another that Japanese never attacked and it was explosives the Americans used themselves to justify a war to the public. Same way the US did to justify the American-Spanish war, or had planned to do to get the public on board with a Cuban war, and a few other incidents

nope
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kyushu_J7W

I got a chuckle. poor old China, it has like a 0-159 win/loss record in international warfare. Every illiterate hooligan that could saddle a horse or sharpen a bamboo stick basically went to town on them. Must feel fucking bad to be Chinese.

Apparently the modern Chinese military leadership is entirely made up of the sons of high-ranking political appointees, as well, so it's not gonna get better in the short term.

On the other hand, I really respect their desire not to intervene militarily in other countrie's affairs. That's very respectable I think. War is awful.

That is pretty interesting user, thanks

Well I'll be damned. I'd better retake Japanese History 106: Identifying military materiel in manga and anime (advanced)

also what is meant by "bad soldiers" isn't that they were bad at fighting, but that they don't fit the archetype of what you want a soldier to be. The ideal soldier is one who always follows orders and is only occasionally brave, as a soldier who is too brave doesn't tend to live long.

Please take a moment to refute the notion that a niggified library will suffer from theft and vandalism.

If you can honestly admit that niggerhood precludes literacy, I'll consider your integrity intact

>can't identify both flying and armored meme machines in any form of media
sad

Wanted to study a postgraduate in Library Studies to be a library tech but I jumped out at the last second cause I'm too old.

The largest impact manifests in display content and programming. This becomes readily apparent in articles that cover things such as drag queen storytimes (which I do not approve of) and, on the other hand, traditional storytimes.
I firmly believe that you can judge the political inclination (or lack thereof) of a public library's staff by the lineup of programs offered by the children's department and the displays in that area.
Homeless are prevalent in many libraries, to the point where there are very unique policies regarding them on a library by library basis. Some have zero tolerance for public safety reasons (usually small to mid-sized libraries in small towns that border troubled cities), while others have given up entirely (San Francisco). Personally, I believe the public library should be a resource for the civil homeless, while uncivilized homeless should be straightened out by a shelter before being allowed entry. Cuts down on heroine needles being left in places.

Very interesting, thanks for the response.
My main objection to homeless is hygiene issues and 'camping', with people sprawling out on seats/tables with large numbers of bags and dirty blankets etc.

Personally I think strict limits on personal effects and bags, and personal hygiene policies (I guess these are hard to enforce), would make libraries much better.

As for ideological content, it's tricky. The whole drag queen indoctrination nights are fucking bizarre. I can't imagine what kind of parent would take their kids to it, or what kind of respectable librarian would go out of their way to organise it. Really strange cultist stuff. I hope it gets snuffed out soon, but I'm not too hopeful. It's very alienating to conservative families too, since the library ceases to be a neutral study and learning space that they can use equally. The library should be neutral political ground in my view.

Also if you haven't read these, they are all great:

journals.cambridge.org/images/fileUpload/documents/Duarte-Haidt_BBS-D-14-00108_preprint.pdf

businessforum.com/WSJ_Race-on-Campus-05-06-2016.pdf

I regret to inform you that you are a sheltered twit.
I worked in an inner city library, with all the availability and amenities of a typical library, smack dab in the cebter of an extremely diverse community. From what I see, the theft largely done by community members would denote a lack of both civility and education, but also surprising ingenuity with how they were able to find new ways to steal without us catching them, going so far as to have their kids remove security labels in the chaos of the children's section and hide the stolen items in their mother's purse.
The information is free
The services are free
The card is free
The materials are largely free
Yet theft still happens, on a surprisingly large scale.
Why is that?

you have a very ignorant outlook of the world

maybe if you treated these people with fucking respect then maybe they wouldn't steal. or maybe you realize not alll the black people stole. instead you are blinded by white supremacy capitalistic bullshit you only see the bad in people. so you think its okay to not allow young black kids access to books?

you do know if a child grows up without books in the home he willl learn slower?
sciencedaily.com/releases/2010/05/100520213116.htm

so you are okay not giving black kids access to books? you do know most black people are poor and can't afford books? you do know that right.

or maybe you do but you are a fucking racist bitch
l

let me quote remy ma

"are you dumb"

The only enforcements we would have would be bans. Banning has become more commonplace, unfortunately, as staff are too overworked to care about handling each case with personalized attention.
I have seen libraries give bans to people who carry in garbage bags of their stuff. Eventually, word of mouth in the homeless community stops these people from bringing them in. Sadly, not enough libraries have the spine to enforce even this.

>graduate degree in library sciences
how retarded do you have to be to say this with a straight face

you should try reading this. It's a position that is in some disagreement to yours, but I really do recommend it, if only to furnish you with an insight into the general patterns of thought of those who disagree with you:

Also to be honest, basically everywhere on earth that has a lot of black people in it - from the micro of neighbourhoods to the macro of nations - is quite awful compared to places with few blacks. It's hard to ignore that, for many people.

>internet killed libraries
But libraries have free internet
Checkmate, atheists

It's an awesome degree you illiterate bogan. Who do you think curates, maintains, and archives the knowledge of our ancestors for future generations? I imagine for you endlessly squatting in the outback, shitting in bushes, and drinking foul watery beer is a life well lived. I sincerely believe Australians should be banned from this board. Hopefully when you are fully conquered by Chinese property moguls they'll bring in the Great Firewall and finally cleanse this board of your subhuman ilk.

Oh my, that's a whole lot of nothing you said.
Librarians are, at their core, the most equality minded professionals by way of allowing access to information in exchange for following guidelines for a free service. This has no pre-existing qualifier on race or age.
Did you also know that kids who score low in English have a higher chance of going to prison later in life, and prisons are built near these areas with overall low scores based on that reason?
But is this because everything is racist? I apologize, but throwing punches at ghosts is no way to go through life. Please be more concrete in your reasoning before you start typing.
Thank you.

Says the piss water-drinking inbred who wouldn't know the difference between a Boolean operator and an emu's asshole.

>Did you also know that kids who score low in English have a higher chance of going to prison later in life, and prisons are built near these areas with overall low scores based on that reason?
Couldn't that just be a correlation to low IQ and not because they no speak English good?

>3D printers
Okay
>Carnival-esque events
What the fuck, no
>Digital delivery services (books and audiobooks)
You can get these own computer, and you need your own computer anyway to receive anything anyway.
>Miniaturized outlet libraries
I guess? You really want stuff to be as centralized as possible, little libraries in areas with little population aren't going to do much.
>Equipment rentals
Okay, for niche stuff.
>Laptop rentals
Mixed feeling, getting a little welfare-y here, won't work in areas with lots of blacks/people who treat there welfare handouts like shit.
>Video game lending
What the fuck, no.
>Conventions (gaming, anime, other interests)
If it's limited to single rooms.
>Conference room renting
Isn't this already a thing?
>Genealogy classes
What, like Ancestral history? Sure?
>Literary lectures
These lectures and classes don't sound like they'd be very popular, I guess? You could just find this stuff on the internet, if it's like a college level lecture that be nice, but I'd have doubts for all libraries to do this.
>QR code library card replacements
Why does it matter?
>Library use Steam accounts
Please no, I doesn't really matter, but please no.

That mostly due to the enviroment of the country as a whole, public works and facilities don't really function when your country is going to hell, it works in Japan because everyone is already relatively rich and can make use of places like libraries with that perspective in mind.