Evangelion

I don't know much about anime so I decided to watch this since it's regarded as the best of all time. I've watched the first 10 episodes or so and until now it just seems like the generic godzilla/sentai type shit with giant kaiju/robots battling with ridiculous moves amidst skyscrapers but in cartoon form.
Does it get any better?

Is this really the best thing japanese cartoons have to offer? It's not like I was expecting some super deep story or anything, since I really like the ghibli films I was just expecting more of an engrossing fantasy world.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=sIAT72RjlJ4
youtube.com/watch?v=1Bix44C1EzY
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Watch it all the way through

BTW: gtfo normie

Trust me, it gets better.

You can't really appreciate evangelion until once you finish all 26 episodes and EoE

Ignore everyone and go watch Gintama instead.

(You)

All fags must die.

>"I don't know much about anime"
>first ten episodes
>ghibli films

is this bait? don't post.
lurk moar
also reported

Is this another "hidden" Asukafags vs rei fags ft. Kaworufag thread?

I'll try to go through with it, it's just a little hard to take the melodrama seriously when the super powerful mechas are piloted by teenagers who attend public school and their super power is pulling out a detached knife. It felt like watching avatar

im really turned off by adaptations. I'd rather read the source material.

If you had wanted to get engrossed in a fantasy world, perhaps you should have watched a fantasy anime.

here is the thing. Sure to all those points but thats only as shallow as it gets.

What have you really picked up on. What do the evas even look like beneath the surface layer of the armour.

Why does rei value those glasses so much or care when shinji grabs them.

Why does misato offer shinji to live with her so quickly.

Why is asuka so bitchy and agressive everything in this show has layers of both symbolism and narrative from at fields to all kinds of nonsense

some intentional some unintentional

Unit 00 and 01 were not made for combat hence the knife

Why didn't Misato bang Shinji when she had the chance?

He literally turned her down, were you paying attention?

I haven't been spoiled(though a long time ago I saw a scene with a bunch of characters saying "congratulations") but from spending years on Sup Forums I heard here and there that there's gonna be some christian symbolic stuff, I hope it's not just pseudointelectual pretentious bullshit to make it seem deep. For now I'll try to keep an open mind.

Last episode I watched had the the ginger bitch submerged in lava and her robot also had the knife.

such as?

lets not forget the terrible characters

He's trying to not spoil you.

Unit 02 is not for combat either.

What until the end so you can have real questions.

Most of the symbolism is psychological or Gnostic/Jewish. There's some christian influences, but it's overstated by brainlets who don't know anything else.

You fell for the memes.

NGE is extremely bad, even worse than the likes of Naruto and Bleach. Why don't you just watch something that is appealing to you instead of letting other people tell you what to watch?

alright, fine. see you in a few days when I finish this.

meanwhile can I have suggestions for which series I should watch next? All I've seen and enjoyed as a kid were the magic animal series like pokemon, digimon, yugioh, beyblade... and I know it's not anime but Im a fan of avatar the last airbender.

I'm not going to guarantee you'll like it, but the robots wanting the children gets well-justified.

Something I've been getting around to lately is watching all those "old classics" movies like Perfect Blue and Akira, have you ever thought about doing that? I think it's better to do that early than way too late like me.

And for a series I always recommend Tegen Toppa Gurren Lagann first.

What do you like? Fast-paced action, slow-paced cerebral stuff, slice of life comfy, realistic and grounded, what are you looking for?

EVA is all about the ending, keep watching, and make sure you watch the movie, The End of Evangelion. You're right that it starts out pretty slow, but yes, it gets better. The strength of the show is in the interactions between the characters more than the angel fights, keep that in mind as you finish it.

Noted. Thanks

I was thinking of Full Metal Alchemist before Gurren Lagann just because I wouldnt want to jump right into another series about giant robots, but apparently there's like two versions. Which one should I watch? The original or brotherhood? Both?

>Fast-paced action, slow-paced cerebral stuff,
sure

>slice of life comfy, realistic and grounded
nah

Just anything whimsical or fantasy in general, Hero's journey type stuff.

The christian imagery is more for aesthetic appeal than symbolism, the themes of the show are different.

Evangelion was the kind of show i didn't know i liked until i finished it.

EoE really pulled it together, imo.

If you want to watch FMA, I'd argue that FMA:Brotherhood is better, it follows the source material more closely and is generally less edgy. Here's some recommendations though:
>Combat Mecha Xabungle
Lighthearted robot fighting with lots of comic relief
>Katanagatari
Comfy, adventurous tale of an autistic dude and his gf traveling around fantasy Japan beating up wielders of magic swords and jacking their shit
>Dragonball (not to be confused with Dragonball Z, the more more well-known, serious, and arguably worse sequel series)
Whimsical battle shonen about a monkey kid and his weird adventures
>Cowboy Bebop
A story about bounty hunters in a sci-fi future, puts forth some cool themes while staying positive and energetic
>FLCL (or, Fooly Cooly)
A very short surrealist series about a young man's struggles with growing up and dealing with women who are out to use him

As a normie you shouldn´t have started with evengelion. Start with your average shit like: Death Note, YuGiOh, etc.

Wasn't really a recommendation post on his part but thanks for posting this as always.

Perhaps you should watch something more your speed, like Non Non Biyori

I don't see a problem really, Evangelion was what got me into anime as a kid, but I never finished it until I was much older, it's much better to start with the good shit than wasting time with average shit.

Also nice quads.

youtube.com/watch?v=sIAT72RjlJ4

>Combat Mecha Xabungle
uh, more robots? that one is going on the backburner

>Katanagatari
This is actually one of the few anime series I've watched years ago because it seemed really pretty and short. Turns out the the episodes were long and the dialogue dragged on and on. I barely remember anything besides the dude fighting his little sister so it didn't leave much of an impression on me. Great music though.

>Dragonball
caught some episodes as a kid and really enjoyed the early stuff with young goku, it seems the most like what I'm looking for but If I start watching I'll feel obligated to go through the whole thing and later on I know it's just dudes fighting and episodes where literally nothing happens.

>Cowboy Bebop
watched it. was my first attempt at watching anime as an adult. greatly enjoyed it but right now im looking for something a bit more fast paced and fantasy-like.

>FLCL (or, Fooly Cooly)
I'm all for short series so I'll give this a go.

thanks

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

it can be

cant we all agree that Misato > those fugly hoes?

The reason people like this so much is that it's well written and well paced compared to others, so even if it was generic mecha/kaiju stuff it would stand tall and on its own.

But it's not generic. If you're at episode 10 you should have at least noticed that they are alluding to something bigger and the fact that the Evangelions are not just robots.

This might be a bait thread, but I responded just in case.

>since it's regarded as the best of all time
im triggered

Don't you fags ever get tired of talking about the same things for over 20 years? JFC mate.

I've been thinking of rewatching evangelion since I last watched it a few years ago and feel like I'd appreciate it more.
Do you think it's better to watch 2.0 or the original again?

>evangelion

If you're being serious, NGE shines when shit hits the fan at around ep 16 or so. The first half of the show is basically all just character set up that you appreciate later.

The rebuilds are so fucking bad, just rewatch the original.

Part of the problem is treating the EVAs as Megazord type things with super powers as opposed to just giant weapons platforms (for 90% of that section of the show. Berserk EVA happens no more than 3 times in the first 10 episodes i think)

youtube.com/watch?v=1Bix44C1EzY