Is it overrated?

Is it overrated?

Other urls found in this thread:

gineipaedia.com/wiki/Legend_of_Galactic_Heroes_(OVA)#Episode_list
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Yeah, lots of things are. Doesn't make it bad.

It's a solid 5/10. Can't compare to the masterpiece that is K-on!

It has flaws but it's still better than pretty much everything else in what it does so no

Nobody actually likes it. It's just a big meme.
>Hurr it gets good I swear just give it 60 episodes

Wouldn't last 5 episodes with how dry it is

Actually it slows down after that long.
If you don't realize its greatness by episode 10 you just have shit taste

All the shit taste in this thread is kind of sad

Joke's on you, I loved it by episode 7.

It's actually underrated. I read the novels and the anime was far better. The anime added a lot of charm, personality and screentime to the characters that were lacking to the novel.

>Is it overrated?
All things considered. Kill yourself.

I hear the translation of the novels (English) is pretty utilitarian. How were they?

Utilitarian is putting it lightly. It feels like some ESL fan translation of a LN at times. The sole consolation you'll have from reading it is that its still easy to read it in the voice of the narrator.

>It's just a big meme
>everything is a fucking meme
Just end yourself already.

Imperial or FPA? Which side has the best ships?

it's actually pretty good. the biggest flaws come from the lack of complete explanation for battle strategies.

The novels themselves were lacking in details when it comes to the strategies so it can't be helped. At least the visuals were good.

That's unfortunate, I guess I'll get on learning nip

Can't be overrated if nobody actually watched it

I wouldn't bother if i were you. The first two novels had very little details that were not in the Anime, enough to count with one hand. You're not getting a better experience compared to the anime for sure.

Imperial.
I mean look at these green things it's not even fair.

im about 40 episodes in, solid 8/10 rn. will see by end of the series what i think.

No.

Green is my favourite colour so eh. They grew on me with enough time like a good dose of stockholm syndrome.

It's only getting better user. S4 is weaker compared to S2 and S3 for some but its still great for me.

You should learn moon anyway, but it's really fucking hard because
1) Kanji is retarded
2) All the words end up sounding the same (they have these weird pattern)
3) Sentence structure is different from western languages
It's a pretty retarded language

thanks, do you know what episode each season begins and end?

You'll know when the opening changes. Cherish the first three OPs since the fourth one has dogshit engrish.

Third OP, best OP

You saw it?

gineipaedia.com/wiki/Legend_of_Galactic_Heroes_(OVA)#Episode_list

Tonite for you I puray to the blightest stah on the heavenry scream.

I love the engrish. Fourth OP is my second favorite.

What's your opinion on Oberstein so far?

How can anyone like engrish like that? Genuinely curious here. What's the appeal?

It's amusing and kinda cute.

Is it wrong to have the same mentality as Yang, where he simply just wants to live a carefree, frugal lifestyle and retire early?

Looking at how he ended up, yes. Yang could've saved the FPA if he was more ambitious like Reinhard.

yea

9/10

it's okay

But s4 has the best arc Reuental rebellion

>9/10
>okay

The battle was too short for my tastes. Can't believe they did a timeskip in a middle of the battle after so many episodes hyping it up.

There's nothing inherently wrong with Engrish. It's all about context.

>first time you hear the FPA anthem
>it's cringeworthy Engrish
>second time you hear the FPA anthem
>it's cringeworthy Engrish
>third time you hear the FPA anthem
>you cry a river of tears, salute Yang's portrait and sign up for a 3-year tour of service in the FPA fleet

Legitimately the only time I cried while watching this

>feels like
It is

Oberstein a shit

I don't exactly trust him but his Machiavelli methods are admirable. When he was talking with Reinhard about the fact that if they let the boy Kaiser get kidnapped, the one security dude would kill himself, Oberstein agreed that the time might come when he would have to die/be put under for the greater good and Reinhard said "remember that" or some shit. Kinda makes me think he has a death flag.

Go to bed Bittenfeld.

Don't forget, Oberstein placed himself infront of Reinhard during Ansbach's assassination attempt back at S1. Dude can be shady at times but he's definitely loyal.

How did you find the novels user? I still can't get over the fact that Iserlohn was just a generic death star ripoff in the novels.

Yes. It's also the greatest anime ever made.

>e]
well im gonna go watch some more episodes. goodbye user.

Have fun user.

No, I wouldn't say so.

>not sobbing uncontrollably at Yang's death

Well lets look at it

>positive aspects
Characters, although most of them are still flat considering the ridiculous length of the show
Art, at least to a certain extend. While bland most of the time the character art is executed fairly well

>negative aspects
Too drawn out and convoluted considering the simple story its trying to tell
Amateurishly executed diplomacy and warfare aspects
Two dimensional combat maneuvers in space
Lack of proper animation which at best can be considered on par with shows at the time but sure as hell not above it
Audio design lacks depth, particularly when it comes to the dialogue. That might or might not be related to the limitations in regards to technology

Now tell me, should a show with this many flaws be 9/10? Fairly sure it shouldnt. LotGH is a good show but insanely overrated for what it is. Among western anime fans its the "watch this to appear knowledgeable" show so many will probably even pretend to have finished it just to get some big boy points on MAL. Theres no shame in liking it since it has its upsides, but considering a show that makes hardly any use of being adapted to a virtual medium as "the best thing ever" is delusional as best, and knowlight lying to yourself at worst. The difference between novel and OVA is not big enough to justify putting it on screen and claiming for it to be an improvement.

HIKARI NO HASHI O KOETE

Extremely. It's pretty much the only anime of it's type though. That's why it's praised so heavily.

>Logh has only 2 positive traits

But it's not trying to tell a simple story?

It might be that you were disappointed by LoGH because you completely misjudged its intentions.

>Amateurishly executed diplomacy and warfare aspects

I remember someone saying each battle in the series had a historical counterpart. It's the main reason for all the weird aspects of the series ( like the Empire using scorched earth tactics on entire planets ), and of course, 2d maneuvers in space.

It was more like denial. I was always waiting from the narrator to just say it was a joke and bring him back next episode. But it never happened.

nope, but the fanbase is annoying. almost as annoying as evangelion an umaru chan fanbase.

its an undeniable masterpiece in terms of story, easily the best in anime, but the lack of expression in certain momments, weak and uncreative angles, among other technical problems could be valid reasons to not watch for some people.

I covered all the big aspects. Art, animation, audio design and all form of writing in form of characters, plot and immersion. Unless I missed something I dont see which other ones would end up as positive traits.

>you didnt like it because you didn't understand it
Quite frankly, considering how amateurishly most aspects are being executed in that show that's a fairly offensive thing to claim. LotGH isnt deep by any means.

That certainly would make a lot of sense (its the first time I hear about it) but quite frankly that would only be more of a point to criticise. Taking inspiration is fine, but adapting a battle that happened in a completely different setting and trying to sell it as high class warfare kills any form of immersion to someone who has more than a dozen braincels since he'll realize how flawed the approach is.

The first season is great though.

If we're talking flagships, Empire and not even close.

General fleets though it comes more down to personal taste.

>>you didnt like it because you didn't understand it
This isn't what I said, and I didn't call LoGH deep. You may now apologize to me.

I am sorry for having accused you, fellow button presser.

But that climax, the longest day of his live, what an awesome chapter.

Thank you. You may go on your way now.

Maybe in general, but Sup Forums has as many threads shitting on it as it does complimenting it.

It's definitely a good show, but not the best as some retards claim it to be. Full Metal Alchemist: Brotherhood, Akira, Cowboy Beebop, Fate/Zero, just to name some, are better overall.

Shitposters hoping for a quick (You) don't count. Valid criticism like are harder to find.

>Taking inspiration is fine, but adapting a battle that happened in a completely different setting and trying to sell it as high class warfare kills any form of immersion to someone who has more than a dozen braincels since he'll realize how flawed the approach is.

That's just the author's style, he takes a lot of inspiration from history. The Empire is a clear example of that.

They made an Akira show?

Then neither do the people who only say it's good and nothing more. I guess in that case it's just completely unpopular because hardly anybody's rating counts at all.

If only Kircheis were alive, it wouldn't have been overrated.

In our day and age? It's perfectly fine user.

Most of your negative aspects are bullshit.
>too drawn out and convoluted considering the simple story it's trying to tell
It isn't a particularly simple story, and off the top of my head only a handful of episodes could be considered unnecessary. Almost all of them have some major importance to the overarching plot.
Dead wrong on this one. Read about actual warfare and diplomacy and you'll see LOGH is far more realistic than many more fantastical portrayals.
>Two dimensional maneuvers in space.
Again wrong on this one. Rewatch the battle of Mar-Adetta, or pay attention to the projections of fleet formations in battles, you'll see them show the fleets in 3D formations. As for maneuvers in space, LOGH is far more realistic than most other sci fi. You can see your enemies, provided there isn't something physically blocking your way, for thousands of miles. Any large scale ship movement is going to be matched by the opposing fleet before the effects of the movement can be felt. Any small scale movement can potentially ruin your own formations. Yang only pulled off the shit he did because he had canonically one of humanity's best experts at fleet maneuvers.

>Too drawn out and convoluted considering the simple story its trying to tell
How is it convoluted and too drawn out? I got the opposite impression that there should've been even more details.
Diplomacy could've been better but i liked the warfare enough as it is.
>Two dimensional combat maneuvers in space
I liked the fact that it was a homage to historical battles so i don't mind. Besides, can you name a single sci fi series with 3D combat in space?
>Lack of proper animation which at best can be considered on par with shows at the time but sure as hell not above it
Fair, but the show didn't really need good animation so it's not that bad.
>Audio design lacks depth, particularly when it comes to the dialogue. That might or might not be related to the limitations in regards to technology
Mind elaborating further?

Even with all those negative aspects though, did you enjoy the show? How would you rate it out of 10?

It's been years since i've watched LoGH. Should i rewatch it or wait for the remake?

Wait for the remake. LoGH isn't an especially well-directed show or anything, it's the type of story it is that makes it unique. Hopefully the new series will have better production values and more evocative direction

While waiting, watch Gaiden.

>Not rewatching it once a year

Already finished Gaiden.

How much of the story do you think the remakes will cover? I wanted a sequel but beggars can't be choosers.

I have no idea honestly, I have done no research into the remakes, nor do I know that much about the source material. Hopefully everything is covered.

Last I checked the website only mentioned the first novel, which ends with the Kaiser's death. But that might not mean anything, they'd probably be starting with the first book regardless of how much they planned to cover. Hopefully we'll get more details in September.

>Hopefully everything is covered.
That's sounds impossible given the length of LoGH. Plus i doubt shows like LoGH will sell BDs nowadays. At least i can finally get a figure of an Ajax-class Battleship.

I cant wait for the remake so I can bitch how they have butchered it.

>LOGH is far more realistic than most other sci fi
Try reading a book.

What would you recommend?

I'd be more worried about the shitposters it'll invite. I fear these months will be the last time we can have a LoGH discussion in peace.

Then at least we'll see some decent action with the capture of Iserlohn and the FPA invasion of the Empire.

War and Peace, for starters.

>I'd be more worried about the shitposters it'll invite. I fear these months will be the last time we can have a LoGH discussion in peace.
We will use stealth sip threads then.

>War and Peace
>Sci-Fi
You should practice what you preach user.

>Autism out about people praising LoGH
>give a shitty author's third best book as an example of a realistic sci-fi novel

I am laughing.

I can't wait for the remake so I can post gay shit in all the threads.

>I'd be more worried about the shitposters it'll invite. I fear these months will be the last time we can have a LoGH discussion in peace.
I am familiar with this feeling.

Right now on Sup Forums we can't have any good Star Trek threads without being overrun by tourists. I'll be sad to see it occur with LoGH too.

The Expanse series
Anything by Robert Heinlein, Arthur C. Clarke, Larry Niven, or Alastair Reynolds.

That's just off the top of my head, there are plenty more hard sci-fi series out there. LOGH is a great story, but it's even less realistic than Star Trek.

Stop pretending to be me.

>War and Peace
>Sci Fi
What the fuck?

Which side has the best cups?

Will the Star Trek threads get better in the future? I'm thinking of giving the series a shot.

Not him, but thanks. I've been dying to read Sci-Fi ever since i finished LoGH.

>The Expanse series
Absolutely not. Thank you for giving me a good reason to ignore you.

I liked it until Kircheis dies

I need you to point out the areas where realism fails in regards to LOGH. I'm not saying it doesn't happen, but no glaring examples spring to mind.

Though it is important to keep in mind that LOGH is far more about history than it is science fiction. The autism the great sci fi writers put into their work is almost a world wonder.