newsweekjapan.jp/watanabe/2016/12/sf_1.php
youtube.com/watch?v=T0xQSlsX9Y4
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

natalie.mu/comic/news/237070

Spring 2018

>flash animation
>rock
No

Sup Forums has a lot of irrational hate toward Yuasa OP, don't be expecting any quality discussion in this thread

I don't think I'm going to like the visual style especially if Yuasa uses that really thin line shit like his new movie

Nice visual

If the promotional image for Devilman is anything to go by, the two works won't look alike.

>Flash animation
What a shame,

There's no way this isn't going to be AOTY 2018.

I wonder if Yuasafags or /m/ spics will be the more insufferable fanbase when this airs. Probably the Yuasafags

>Sup Forums has a lot of irrational hate toward Yuasa
What the fuck are you on about? He gets about as much "hate" as any other massively acclaimed director.

Will Eunyoung Choi's dumb views copypasted from her American animator friends get any "problematic" manga scenes censored or removed in the anime?

No, I think the goal is to be as faithful to the original work as possible.

Devilspic is shit and only Gainaxfags care about it. I recommend getting some taste.

Why get the Geass guy as the "series composition" guy, then? It looks to me like it's gonna be a reinterpretation or else you wouldn't need a famous writer guy on board.

Also for the record I'm not a "liberalism is bad" Sup Forums guy, I'm probably more left wing than Choi. She just seems like a basic bitch "signal booster" for the most boring western US lib views from following her on Twitter and that kinda worries me as far as the impact it'll have on Saru's works.

Not a big fan of her as a writer either. But she's undeniably fucking fantastic at storyboarding & directing shit others wrote; Tatami ep 10 was my favorite.

I love Yuasa and have little doubt this will be at least pretty good but he really does have some really crap fans.

Yuasa's style is honestly far more comparable to Nagai's """""low brow""""" works than some of the gay western "art house" shit he gets compared to. They do simple stories anyone can understand but just like using weird expressionistic visuals.
The autistic /m/ fanbase hates Gainax though (I personally love them)

>Why get the Geass guy as the "series composition" guy, then? It looks to me like it's gonna be a reinterpretation or else you wouldn't need a famous writer guy on board.
What sort of logic even is this? Famous writers aren't allowed to work on faithful adaptations?

I dunno man. You're right in a way, he could have just chosen to work on the project because he's a manga fan & not asked for a shitton of money. But it could also be that Saru hired a famous writer so he could inject his writing style & themes into the work.

I mean it's not just called "Devilman", it's called "Devilman Crybaby". The comments I've read from the staff have been very confusing to be honest, it's clear they're using the manga as the basis but I dunno how far they'll go with reinterpreting. I think just doing the manga story with Yuasa visuals would be perfect, since really the original manga was already very visually weird and inventive and surreal so Yuasa's style of motion and color and whatnot would fit it very well.

People credit Mind Game entirely to Yuasa but a lot of what made it good was already there in the Robin Nishi manga, even visually. Yuasa just made it even better in an animated medium.

Also Nishi is a huge loli fag & friends with Sekihan so that's cool

Fuck off, devilman is great

They'll probably add the stuff Nagai added later like how Ryo and Akira met.

Lets be honest here, Devilman does have some problematic stuff. Nothing wrong with updating some of the content to fit the more enlightened sensibilities of the present day.

I thought Sup Forums faps to Yuasa more than plebbit could ever dream of?

fuck off.

Devilman is pretty progressive and overtly anti-fascist, just in an actual insightful manner and not based on the faggot neo-lib philosophy Choi fell for (cringed hard when she retweeted some "Hillary only lost because she's a woemyn" shit, god dammit never follow your heroes' twitters ever)

old school Tezuka-era manga is way better at being 'woke' than the shit Americans & reverse-weebs believe

Get out ,tumblr

Manime is back, baby!

Ok Muhammed. btw, what's that in the Quran about Mohammed 8 year old sex slave ?

Shotaro Ishinomori's work in general also has these completely earnest hippie views about how we all need to get along as equals that would be considered pussy shit these days by both the left & right who are fucking in love with racial conflict

I'm consistently amazed at how much more likable the world views of these old-ass manga series from decades ago are compared to the modern shit

>problematic
Fuck off, tumblr.

once again though I don't want Choi to not have impact on Saru because she's a great animator & storyboarder and wanting artists fired for their views is obviously wrong. Tatami 10 had fucking amazing atmosphere and was the climax of the show as far as I'm concerned (always thought people kinda overrated ep 11). I'd just prefer if she didn't insert her politics in the shows or convert Yuasa.

Fuck this looks awesome. I was worried that it'd have that shitty line weight that Lu has, but that doesn't seem to be the case if this key visual is actually representative of the final work. Don't disappoint me now, Yuasa.

Yuasa's the boss of the project anyway, he'll put Choi in her place.

Yuasa seems way smarter about world politics. Linked an article that was one of the rare good Michael Moore comments, in this case basically saying Trump winning proves the system is broken, democrats fucked up & that it does not actually mean America is a bunch of literal nazis.

Yuasa is the kind of guy who understands why really fucked up violent & sexual shit is integral to the Nagai experience

Really Choi seems like such a pleb she probably just plugs that stuff to please her American friends & would be too afraid to actually call out bigotry in Japan or Korea. But it's just annoying seeing this gay shit chase me everywhere, even on anime creators' social media.

they literally said "original ending up to the LAST PANEL"

what better way to reach the original ending than adapting the original fucking story. Now if you're worried about some detail in some scene getting changed then that's another thing but Yuasa and Oshiyama also said it would be "sex filled and violent" so

"Adapting" sure but I could see it being a reimagining, it still ends with shit hitting the fan, humanity fucking itself over and a big showdown between Devilman & Satan but there's a lot of weird fanfictiony stuff

come on, they put all that emphasis on the original ending because everyone wants that. they'll keep it as is, the only thing I could see happening is replacing the full-frontal panel of Miki's head on a stake with something more indirect (not shitty jap TV censoring though, they wouldn't). But I think they'll keep it.

I'm still skeptical, I mean they even gave it a weird subtitle. If it wasn't a reimagining wouldn't it be just "Devilman" and not "Devilman Crybaby"?

You now realize you cannot name a massively acclaimed director that Sup Forums does not have an irrational hateboner for.

Yuasa Violence Jack when

Japan typically doesn't like to reuse titles for new, separate works the same way America does for remakes/reimaginings. There was already an anime just called "Devilman" back in the '70s.

>They do simple stories anyone can understand but just like using weird expressionistic visuals.

Which is why it's silly that he always gets brought up in the obscure/elitist tier of directors when his style isn't even that difficult to comprehend at all. Yuasa's by far my fav anime director, but it's hilarious how a lot people are intimidated by what he does.

Takahata, Kon, Dezaki

I hate Takahata.
Kon gets shitposted frequently.

how can you hate Takahata?

>flash
Where?

>Why get the Geass guy as the "series composition" guy, then? It looks to me like it's gonna be a reinterpretation or else you wouldn't need a famous writer guy on board.

Because the original Devilman work is already kind of plot twisty, gay and edgy, let's not beat around the bush. Even a literally faithful adaptation would contain lots of stuff that, frankly, is not in particularly sophisticated or even traditionally good taste from a mainstream point of view (and thus wasn't in the sanitized TV version way back in the day).

That's an analysis of the theme. But the text, the actual content, isn't that clean to say the least.

They are going to make it more of an insane love story between everyone's favorite duo. Which fits even with the original ending.

Yuasa's studio Science Saru uses a Flash-based animation pipeline. I don't think it's inherently bad, but some people are cautious of it.

The Devilman OVA was called The Birth, I don't think it's that odd.

It was The Birth and The Demon Bird because the subtitles summarize the arcs covered.
What are you basing this on?

>some people
Sup Forums shitposters and useless white noise sakuga cliquer yuyucow

oh gof oh god i can't fucking wait
thank you based yuasa!

【スタッフ】
原作 永井豪「デビルマン」
監督 湯浅政明
脚本 大河内一楼
音楽 牛尾憲輔
アニメーション制作 サイエンスSARU
Produced by Aniplex Inc./Dynamic Planning Inc.
In Association with Netflix

Wakfu and Dofus were pretty fun even though they were flash animated.

youtube.com/watch?v=5nnJUXdSqlw

Based Oshiyama

With this and the upcoming Mazinger Z movie (my.mixtape.moe/xzafyy.mp4), It's good to be a Go Nagai fan these days.

The Mazinger Z movie looks pretty lame though.

I think it looks great. I'm more hyped for it than Crybaby.

Just like Shin Mazinger, Dororon Enma-kun Meeramera etc.

It has a new subtitle to differentiate it from the old Devilman tv series.

>liking Go Nagai
Grow up

>liking Gundam
Grow up

Go back to ANN

>not liking Go Nagai
Grow up

No thanks.

Del Toro's a fag.

I think the main problem is I highly doubt Del Toro & the people going YASS SLAY QUEEN at that tweet actually care about Nagai's own work, just the Toei adaptations

Nagai's original vision of Mazinger was so different in the early chapters, he practically disowned the later stuff because Toei made him change it to turn it into an anime tie-in.

>and thus wasn't in the sanitized TV version way back in the day
>confirmed for not knowing anything about the TV version

Too bad no one seems to care about Nagai's original vision, except for Anno. Really, with some minor changes they could make a Mazinger adaptation loyal to the source and it'd pass as a modern anime. It has so many interesting ideas going on

Isn't this true even now? I mean, anime adaptations will always be more popular than the source and you'll get lots of people who only care about the anime but don't give a fuck about the source. So, if the adaptation's shit, good luck convincing people to give the source a try.
It's not like it's limited to Nagai properties, Del Toro and the people who replied to that tweet. It happens with most adaptations currently

The fujo in me is looking forward to seeing Ryo animated

It's not gay if he has tits.

i'm so ready.

What about Shin Mazinger? It's not QUITE the same but it's clear Imagawa loves early Nagai Mazinger. He even adapted the Lorelai story fairly closely.

It really pisses me off how Eva fags who only know Mazinger through the Toei show think Eva was made to "deconstruct" Mazinger and prove it's stupid or w/e dumb shit.
Sucks with Violence Jack cuz some of the manga stories were fantastic but Itano & the rest of the OVA staff just didn't adapt it that well. The changes made to the Evil Town story (like the villain cannibalizing his tranny waifu LITERALLY gave him demonic super powers, instead of being an insane animalistic act to show how fucked up humanity had gotten) really highlight the problem. The original was gory manly fun but it also had themes and ideas, the OVA adaptation ONLY got the "hardcore badass" part out of it.

Miki > Ryo

I agree so much with this. This is one of the reasons why I prefer old comics to today's ones. They had a much more positive outlook on the world in general.

>she retweeted some "Hillary only lost because she's a woemyn"
Holy fuck does she really believe that? Now I'm worried.

Everyone with an actual brain knows that Hillary lost because she stood for the status quo, at a time when people wanted change. It's that fucking simple.

Now I'm worried for Devilman. I don't want her pushing her views onto it.

Evafags aren't particularly smart or knowledgeable about other mecha.

Mazinger is the OG world destroyer. In both MazinSaga and Mazinger ZERO, Z / Mazinger Z goes on rampage and destroys everything on earth.

Mazinger is a lot scarier than Eva, and the only thing scarier is probably Getter Emperor.

Delete this

>Holy fuck does she really believe that? Now I'm worried.
A lot of anime people are buying into this stuff.

Takafumi Hori being into Steven Univese made him get into identity politics, he treated Rebecca Sugar like a goddess just cuz she said she's bisexual & faved obviously made up "a Trump hat man attacked me, an oppressed asian lady, but a proud attractive black man came and saved me from the white devil!!!" stories

Kazuki Nakashima retweeted a horrifyingly bad Bush-defending, literally-friends-with-Hillary Asian-American neo-lib's take on a book about lower-class white southerners that was pretty much what you'd expect from such a person (maybe he was more interested in the book being discussed than her take, who knows; but it's still sad this is where he gets his info about US politics)

Mitsuyasu Sakai hasn't worked on anime in a while but he has influence on the industry and he's the worst by far. The type that unironically thinks Gamergate & "the alt right" got Trump elected and other utterly insane shit. He went to college in America so lol.

Japan is far from safe, as the industry's relationship with western animation creators improves more and more stuff like this will happen. Stuff like this is why I want Japan to stay insular. Hell they're better off being like Hiromu Arakawa & caring about their own oppressed groups like the Ainu instead of getting into American bullshit they don't understand to look cool & global.

I'm not a Sup Forums type at all and in fact got into politics through anti-nationalism (my country is like Sup Forums irl sometimes). I just hate the kind of liberalism that these people represent and it's really sad to see it's the only coverage they seem to get as far as western politics are involved

If anything Yuasa just got lucky since he came across an actually reasonable post-election take that acknowledged there were shades of grey (that or honestly, maybe he's just smarter than Choi)

Typical Go Nagai manga:
DUDE RAPE LMAO
Rape by ape NIGGERS
DUDE TITS LMAO
le epic gore so edgy XD
Shitty drawings

Go Nagai fans:
You don't get it, it's stylized! He failed at anatomy on purpose
Based Uncle Go. You triggered SJW cuck? Moms gonna freak! El burrito.

You triggered SJW cuck?

He has the coolest looking art ever to be honest

Anime Japan commentary of how Ryo is also the protagonist and how his relationship with Akira, hate and love they share, is the foundation of Devilman.

Damn. That's sad.
>Takafumi Hori
Identity politics is morally wrong.

>Kazuki Nakashima
Holy fuck. Bush is a war criminal. What I hate is how neo-libs are now defending him because they think he's not as bad as Trump. It's disgusting.

>Mitsuyasu Sakai
Some years before Gamergate, gamers were defending violent video games from right wing loons, and now they're branded as alt right over the failure of video game journalism.

>Stuff like this is why I want Japan to stay insular
Same. The west is putting a lot of pressure on getting Japan to ban loli and shota. I'm glad that even Nagai stood for his rights back with during the controversial tokyo bill. After all he did produce Harenchi Gakuen.

>just hate the kind of liberalism that these people represent
I hate neo liberals and neo cons. When we get down to it, they're both hypocrites. Liberals needs to do some soul searching and stop demonising people with different views, and conservatives need to stop being terrible to people in general.

>he's just smarter than Choi
Not necessarily. I think the problem comes mostly from the media from both political spectrum, spreading bullshit and falsehoods. People who only watch tv news and don't bother looking up whether something is true or not is the problem.

It's spelled Debiruman

Informative

He can do stories with a purpose and stories that are just violence & sex for the hell of it and both are fun.

I never defend him by saying he's good at anatomy, hell I don't even think people who normally get praised for anatomy like Araki are good at anatomy. I care way more about good faces, poses, composition etc; a lot of the beloved manga people excel at that more than they do at anatomy.

> I care way more about good faces
Then you should hate Nagai

This

>Gainaxfag who watches Let's Plays thinking he has any semblance of taste
busterbeam posts are always hysterical

Shin Mazinger has nothing to do with the original manga beyond homages to some panels or scenes. Like it or hate it, Shin Mazinger is its own thing.

I may have misread the Bush namedrop and it may have been a quote in retrospect (but I'm not sure either way), don't quote me I'm terrible at Japanese twitter.com/k_z_ki/status/793685341311873025

But she does have selfies with Hillary on her Twitter and she wrote this insane garbage newsweekjapan.jp/watanabe/2016/12/sf_1.php

>Same. The west is putting a lot of pressure on getting Japan to ban loli and shota. I'm glad that even Nagai stood for his rights back with during the controversial tokyo bill. After all he did produce Harenchi Gakuen.

Nagai would be considered a problematic edgelord now for the shit he pulled on parents who took offense to his work back in the 60s and 70s.

A really interesting aspect is that according to this dude a lot of the outrage over manga actually came from leftist groups in Japan back then youtube.com/watch?v=T0xQSlsX9Y4

That's not me faglord.
His basic facial construction is wonky sure but he's great at drawing more exaggerated expressions.
My point is it shows a love of the Nagai manga version and just feels more similar to it in tone than the Toei stuff.

Maybe I exaggerated the similarity of the Lorelai arc, I should reread the manga version.

You're just gay.

Really amateurish

Spot on. Only underaged third worlders like Go Nagai.

you have no fucking idea how busy Nagai was during that time dude. what he pulled off is amazing given the circumstances.

>basic facial construction is wonky
It actually depends on which manga. If you're talking about his 70s stuff, sure, but that was a long ass time ago. Not many people even drew realistic poses well during that era.Go Nagai is a much better artist than what you give him credit for. Meanwhile, I've seen people fellate Miura, even though a lot of his scenes lack the dynamism of Nagai.

I've seen worse from guys like Matsumoto and even Tezuka. Or how about Kurumada's proportions? I can name hundred of other worse artists than Nagai.

Triggered as fuck. What's wrong with third worlders huh? I have better taste than you, I have a loving girlfriend who actually listens to me, and I'm not an angry white cuck.

Go back to masfrustration and blue balling, Steve.