Arksys is dumb! Animate it in 60fps

>Arksys is dumb! Animate it in 60fps.
>They are using limited animation because...
>Fuck Limited animation!! Then anime should be 60fps!!
>Sees a lot of video of a lot of people trying to make anime in 60 fps.

One question: Should anime really become native 60fps?
Is it even possible without fucking up the design, image and the animator?

Other urls found in this thread:

twitter.com/2dJazz/status/874355292477112323
twitter.com/usami_tyuui/status/480218941034217472
knowyourmeme.com/memes/brave-perspective
youtube.com/watch?v=_RM1zUrY1AQ
cacani.sg
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

This game and Xrd looks like shit. Inconsistent models that look like trash in certain angles, robotic stiff animations.

And my biggest complaint is the lack of any real impact in super moves. What's the point of trying to make the game flashy when the beams and explosions are so flaccid and weak?

That's a lot of frames to draw in a week when most studios (especially SHAFT) already get down to the wire. If anime was 60fps then the animation would be stick figures just so they could complete it in time. People don't understand this.

Kill yourself.

>Inconsistent models that look like trash in certain angles, robotic stiff animations.

That's valid for almost all anime and manga too.
But I disagree to label it as shit.

So the natural evolution, in western point of view, is making anime 3d and hire mocaps.
Since it is 3d, you could animate it like 9001 frames per second if you want.
The problem is I think this would be a shit for japanese point of view.

Cant they just duplicate frames

Then what's the fucking point?

How would that be any different from just keeping things as is? In the end each frame costs money, and anime is made on a shoestring budget as is. Most movies and TV shows are intentionally below 60fps or whatever the latest meme refresh rate is anyways.

Hey there would be more frames

The frame A should be different from frame B.
Apply this to every 60 frames per second, 30 minutes.
Copy and paste would be meaningless.

No. That's just needlessly expensive. Anime is already made on such a shoestring budget that there are a million other things their money would be better spent on than increasing the framerate. 60 FPS is feasible/good in games where you don't have to keyframe everything and increasing the framerate makes the controls more responsive.

>60 FPS is feasible/good in games where you don't have to keyframe everything and increasing the framerate makes the controls more responsive.

Maybe it's good for first person shooters but I disagree about it on fighting games.
twitter.com/2dJazz/status/874355292477112323

>That's valid for almost all anime and manga too.

You don't watch many hand-drawn anime then if you honestly believe this.

Interlacing works wonders
My tv automatically does it to all videos bringing them to 200fps and it's pretty cool

It's called "Over perspective" in Japan.
They intentionally fuck up the perspective in order to give more impact or cool image.
This one has 3d model but which one has more impact?

Oh, I found an better one to illustrate.
twitter.com/usami_tyuui/status/480218941034217472

>Over-exaggerated perspective equates to vivid animation

I guess.

>Should anime really become native 60fps?
Considering most projects have budget, planning and manpower to barely manage to produce a mediocre 24fps anime, most of which consists of pans, repeated frames, mouth-only animation and animation on twos or even on threes, 60fps anime would be a financial disaster.
Unless of course it goes full 3DCG, which would be a visual disaster instead.

Interpolating normal anime to 60fps also doesn't solve the problem, because it leads to artifacts and often very unnatural animation - a continuous movement sampled at 24fps and interpolated to 60fps can be a far cry from the same movement sampled at 60fps.

There might also be an issue of displaying it. I'm not really well-versed in TV broadcasting stuff, so I have no idea if you can just bring your chinese cartoon to TV Tokyo and tell them to broadcast it at 60fps.

And the last, but not the least, money needed for an average 60fps animation would be much better spent on producing a top-quality 24fps series instead.

It looks cool.
knowyourmeme.com/memes/brave-perspective

This.

>animating in halves
woah

Honestly I agree. Certain perspectives visually look great even when they could out looking distorted. It's one a the few yet effective and underused ways to display how powerful a scene is.

Yet just like any other artistic direction, relying on it may come off as gimmicky.

>60fps anime
user, if you want to kill more animators nuking Japan a third time would be cheaper and far more efficient.

I think you mean interpolation, and the problem with it is that it fucks up the animation, especially when we're talking about limited animation.

Even with perfect interpolation, one that doesn't leave any noticeable artifacts, it would still be a bad idea to use it in many cases.

Examples:

1) Smears/squash and stretch. The function of smears is to cover a distance on the screen, at a speed faster than what the frame rate allows, without the audience losing track of the thing. Smears are supposed to be a tangible thing in the world of the animation, but the interpolation software can't know this, so it will create new "half smears" before and after the smear frame. This will be noticeable even at higher framerate and it will look clunky. Of course if animators know that the inbetweens are going to be machine made, they would stop creating smears. But then that'll be the end of stylistic use of smears (and plenty of other effects) which is one of the hallmarks of anime.

2) "Too smooth" is a real thing. Animators already do not use all 24 frames in the second because in some cases increasing the exposure of the drawings to 2 frames per second (so 12 fps, animating on 2's) makes the movement look better. That's just how it is for some reason. Maybe it's the inherent imperfections in drawings that create the problem (too smooth of a movement for too crude of a visual throwing the brain off) Who knows.

3) Lack of "punch". Sometimes you want to leave a larger gap in spacing between the drawings for a greater impact, breaking the above mentioned rule about why we use smears. Sometimes it works, and you don't want machine interpolation to ruin that.

Interpolation done in the production process can be manageable and useful once the technology gets there, but it will never work when done at the user end.

Yeah that I messed up the term
And I'm talking about interpolation done during production, to smooth out the animation and make it look more fluid
Why isn't it possible at production level yet?

Storm games are STILL the best anime games, xrd looks like Storm 3 at best while Storm 4 has updated visuals that just put it at another level.

And let's not talk aboutt he animations and artstyle, it's just much better than any other anime game so far.

youtube.com/watch?v=_RM1zUrY1AQ

Tech is nowhere near good enough.

>Interpolation done in the production process can be manageable and useful once the technology gets there

It'll be really interesting to see if machine learning will be able to help animators by doing tasks such as inbetweening or correcting QUALITY to be more on-model.

>And let's not talk about the animations and artstyle
user, that's exactly why I made this thread.
I would have made the thread on Sup Forums if I wanted to talk about the game itself.

I wasn't talking about gameplay.

I said the visuals alone were the best, then there's the animations that are better than everything else

>shoestring budget
I wouldn't call 10mil$ that. The industry just has to change the way they work. They need to plan things away from airing more and pay the animation team way better than now.

>let machines do inbetweening and fixing QUALITY
>budgets and quality control drop because "the machines will do it"
>nothing changes

>inbetweening
It already exists, and it's very good. cacani.sg

Anime studio only gets one fraction of that to produce anime.
Most of part goes to the PR, TV and some shit.

Yes TV because you have to pay to show the anime.

What Richard Williams calls "intelligent inbetweening" is the most difficult hurdle to overcome and it's really difficult for me to imagine how that's gonna happen.

Machines can already do "unintelligent" inbetweening fine now For example in the video I linked here, , the facial features are tweened pretty okay because there's no change in form. unintelligent inbetweening is just moving and distorting shapes.

Intelligent inbetweening is turning forms and not treating all aspects of the drawing equal, and that's the difficult part. For example a machine can easily inbetween a character who is waving their hand in the air from side to side because there is no big changes in shape. But if the animator were to make the character rotate the characters hand, like how a posh royalty would wave their hand, that's where machine shits the bed.

The machine would have to recognize that the shape at the beginning and the end of the motion is a hand, and that it's the different sides of the same hand (which they can do already to a degree) Then it needs to figure out how THAT HAND would look from a side view and draw it, and that's what they can't do. All they can try is to do a weird mesh of the palm and the back of the hand.

The only way I could see it work is if with machine learning the program is able to generate a bunch of generic hands that will sort of fit the purpose, which are then sent to the animation director who will fix the drawings in the correct style.

Also pic related for all other kind of troubles with unintelligent inbetweening.

How many characters will there be and who are they? That's all I care about for now.

If you invest 5*10^7 Yens only 8*10^6 Yens is used to produce the anime itself.
All others goes to PR companny and to both local and bigger TV companies as permission to air the anime.

So what is stopping the animators do like Storm 4 to their animes?
Yep it would make it look less like traditional anime but it will be 60 frames per second.