University shitting on free press

So a university is shitting on its school newspaper for posting an interview with one of its employees and a self-admitted neo-nazi. They're actioning against the newspaper and possibly to fire the interviewer. What do you guys think? Should the paper have known better, or is the university just retarded?

BTW this newspaper publishes both pro left and pro right pieces, as everyone is encouraged to write in: thebaron.ca/

canadalandshow.com/unb-baron-laughs-off-critics-of-nazi-op-ed/
thebaron.ca/2018/01/29/you-should-not-have-published-the-article/
twitter.com/braubora/status/958278751607054336
Some links for context.

Other urls found in this thread:

twitter.com/thebaronsj/
thebaron.ca/2018/01/26/hamilton-unbf-controversy-reveals-campus-speech-issues/
twitter.com/ClaireAwks/status/958491476505264129
buzzfeed.com/ishmaeldaro/the-baron-nsclrp?utm_term=.aaVJyy5AE#.fr2OJJQX3
thebaron.ca/2018/01/25/sex-love-and-tomahawks/
thebaron.ca/2018/01/25/interview-with-michael-thurlow-leader-of-the-nsclrp/
twitter.com/braubora/status/958278751607054336
archive.is/8Qzeq
archive.is/XF1a9
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

A student news site with some balls.

I hope they stick to their convictions and don't go on an apology tour.

The editor in chief does not want to apologize, but the university has already issued a statement against the decision about the article. The counterpart university in another city is also attacking the paper on twitter
twitter.com/thebaronsj/

Tomorrow the editor in chief is being summoned before the board, which probably means firing.

The article in question:
thebaron.ca/2018/01/26/hamilton-unbf-controversy-reveals-campus-speech-issues/

bamp

>Hi, @emmaesquared! The Baron is not an activist platform like the @Brunswickan. We strive to be journalistically neutral on all issues, because, unlike you, we recognize that students are smart enough to condemn racism on their own, and we don't have to hold their hands on that.

Seems they're standing there ground and calling out other publications.

twitter.com/ClaireAwks/status/958491476505264129

There's no place for neo-nazis in institutions of higher learning, you retard.

That was the editor in chief who posted that tweet, the school isn't standing by the paper right now, and neither is the board who oversees the paper.

but the person in question who put up the posters is a student themselves, so they deserve to be heard, don't you think? The paper is politically neutral as well, they have stuff about feminism on their site as well. It's many people writing in, not just a few.

>is a student themselves, so they deserve to be heard, don't you think?
No. Not ever fart or shit from every student is worthwhile. Some should be flushed as soon as they appear. Neonazis don't deserve space on campuses. Using a "diversity and representation" argument to support neonazis is disingenuous retardation.

I suspect that you are much more gay than you realize.

thanks

It's the uni's paper, they can do whatever they want with it. If the kid wants to exercise his liberty he can publish his own paper and then the uni can't do nuthin.

Both you and communists dont deserve a space on campuses. Using a "diversity and representation" argument to support your education and communists learning at schools is disingenuous retardation. Instead, you should be strangled and shot while your body parts are ripped off of you one by one.

>People that doesn't agree with me should not have the ability to use their right to free speech

What a Nazi you are

The funniest part about all this is the person who okay'd posting the article isn't even white, she's half native. And a ton of other women work on the paper too.

A university shouldn't hold control over a student newspaper.

you just can't make blatant displays of liberal hypocrisy up

Neonazis preach hatred and irrationality. This isn't congruous with the research, learning, and truth-enhancing goals of universities. There are meaningful criteria for determining what kinds of knowledge are worthwhile. This is why universities are not free spaces for anything-goes political larping. This is why neonazis don't belong.

Trying to flip the same argument around to groups to which it doesn't apply shows that you don't even understand what counts as worthwhile knowledge.

>What a Nazi you are
ditto. Don't live in perpetual darkness, user.

>You have free speech to talk about the approved topics we choose for you in the manner we proscribe

This is sort of like how it's okay to do Holocaust scholarship in Europe, as long as your research 100% completely agrees with whatever Jews say. Otherwise you go to prison.

same thing in canada. We actually have a court for people who disagree with the government, ironically called the human rights tribunal.

Can you actually point out what the horrible thing this alleged "nazi" said was?

>This is sort of like how it's okay to do Holocaust scholarship in Europe, as long as your research 100% completely agrees with whatever Jews say. Otherwise you go to prison.
Nah, this just means that your arguments and use of evidence have to make basic standards of plausibility and persuasion. Without these, you're just an ideological faggot making shit up and deserve only to speak on Sup Forums. It's as though you retarded faggots think that truth is a meaningless concept.

I've found the best way to discuss politics with people in Canada is to be so outlandishly liberal that it points out the flaw in the mainstream narrative. And nobody can criticize you for the views you express for fear of being called a bigot

See:
Posted around campus by the person in question.

Can you explain to me what exactly is "nazi" about that image?

>I've found the best way to discuss politics with people in Canada is to be so outlandishly liberal that it points out the flaw in the mainstream narrative. And nobody can criticize you for the views you express for fear of being called a bigot
Nope. Doesn't work that way. It's as though you think universities are for nothing other than bullshit. Actually, they're designed to promote learning and knowledge, which means the absolutely are not spaces where anything goes. This is why you keep failing, user.

the strangest thing for me tho is I've met like 2 extreme liberals. Most people I meet in life are conservative or sort of classic liberal.

Personally I don't know, this is just what has been the determination from the university.

Nice job ignoring me, so you can't point to anything actually reprehensible?

Oh to me it's pretty obvious, if you're not anti-white you clearly are a nazi. If you don't apologize for being born white you're a nazi. That's how it is to leftists.

Your troll-fu is actually quite weak and your argument essentially boils down to "I DONT LIKE IT SO IT SHOULD BE BANNED!"

Teaching communism on campus opened the door to other extremes, sorry babe.

These Jews have no standards
Completely rediculous rats
They took down the stormer
They demand free speech for communists but then shut the door on anything they don't approve of.

There can be no freedom with these kikes at the reins

He hasn't even defined what he doesn't like.
He simply thinks if someone is accused of being a "nazi" it means their views should be censored regardless of what they actually are.

If you could pass some advice to the students at the newspaper experiencing the attacking right now, what would you say?

As we all know by now, "Nazi" just means "white person" in libshit parlance.

guys, report this sort of shit to Far Left Watch

Thank you for the tip, I will as well. I already contacted Ezra Levant on twitter.

I am in a program where even moderate viewpoints are strictly forbidden, and most people fall into the generic liberal pool. If people thought I was actually a conservative, I would be shunned and my chances of getting good references for careers would dry up. While the average 'Canadian' might be slightly conservative, any workplaces with more than 30% women are extremely hostile towards anything that goes against their liberal worldview.

Fuck off kike
You pretend to know nothing about Natsoc
Natsoc is living according to the laws of nature
You kikes hate it because you can't manipulate and parasite off of us.

They can never do that because they will be found out for the lying rats they are

>your argument essentially boils down to "I DONT LIKE IT SO IT SHOULD BE BANNED!"
Nope. It's about mutually agreed, disinterested criteria of what counts as knowledge or truth, which in turn determines whether or not something has a place in a university. This is why universities are full of grading and peer evaluation. Just because you failed doesn't mean you can say it's because there's a conspiracy of meanness on campus. Instead, they function as a meaningful community of scholarship. After all, the name derives from phrase used in the University of Paris in the early medieval period "universitas magistrorum et scholarium," which means a "community of teachers and scholars." The community gets to determine what is worthwhile based on the best available criteria of knowledge. History is full of whinging faggots such as itt who found their ideological agendas didn't meet these standards and so resorted to butthurt whining. Go waaaaaaa as much as you want. You're still a retarded loser.

I'm interested in what a neo-nazi's perspective is actually

>We'll just ignore these people and shut them down and pretend everything is going great until civil war breaks out
Oh for sure professors are intelligent and well versed on the real world

What free speech does Canada have?

We don't. Section 33 of our charter states the government oversees speech and can persecute whenever it chooses to do so.

>Actually, they're designed to promote learning and knowledge

while simultaneously rejecting the very liberal enlightenment values that are universally agreed upon to be both inalienable and necessary for any functioning, free, western society

or so i'm told :^)

Me too! Especially when that person is a student as well.

The stormer is up, it's never been down for more than a day or so

Buzzfeed article:
buzzfeed.com/ishmaeldaro/the-baron-nsclrp?utm_term=.aaVJyy5AE#.fr2OJJQX3

>the very liberal enlightenment values
Wat? Universities are not fundamentally "liberal." Liberalism is a very specific political tradition with its foundations in Locke and British empiricism. It then takes a right swing with Hume and gets used to justify free-speech as a mask for economic self-interest. But this is nothing to do with the core principles of universities.

>or so i'm told :^)
And you wouldn't have a source, would you.

What is the definition of bigotry?
>intolerance toward those who hold different opinions from oneself.
When they talk about hatred just tell them to go look in a mirror.

I got fired from a job several years back, minimum wage first job type situation, for having a conversation with some staff (who agreed with me) that they were worried about liberal government. Very tame, away from customers, but manager (female) overheard.

You still have pointed out what was so horrible that needed to be censored.

You misread the post you responded to. He didn't say liberal values were considered necessary for universities, he said they were widely considered to be:

>inalienable and necessary for any functioning, free, western society

Would you agree with that?

What a load of stereotypical deceitful leftwing bullshit, have you scum got no shame? To literally just lie and project your failings onto others is beyond pathetic. Kys

You are one delusional piece of shit... I mean holy fuck... you are about the most hypocritical person I've ever had the displeasure of reading the opinion of...

I'd say "It's OK to be White!"

You've got to be fucking kidding me. People are freaking out over THAT? That is the most neutral student article I've ever seen (it's still left-center)

These people have lost their minds.

>>inalienable and necessary for any functioning, free, western society
>Would you agree with that?
No. The word "free" is way too narrow. We're talking about universities anyway! If anything, your position sounds like George Soros's open society initiative, which isn't my preferred style.

>stereotypical deceitful leftwing bullshit
Nah, I'm giving a conservative, minimal position on what defines a university and what makes it distinctive.

>You are one delusional piece of shit... I mean holy fuck
Hugs to you too user. Nice arguments too.

It's a whole different ball game on this side of the boarder. pic related is a few canadian responses on the issue. Middle is press statement from university.

Sorry, here is the university's statement

You can't interview a neo nazi in 2018. shut that paper down

this. just once i wish 'x' would call a press conference after some sjw generated controversy and say "go fuck yourself".

You have to understand. They are not using words to communicate the concepts they describe. They are using words to maximize the social validation the will receive.
When we say
>I support free speech
we mean free speech as shorthand for the underlying concept that men have a fundamental right to present ideas and engage in political and social speech openly and without fear of violent repercussion.

To leftists, free speech is just something that is popular and people like. They want to support things people like. So they grandstand and say
>I support free speech
but it might as well be
>I support kittens and puppies
>I support juicy watermelon on a hot day
>I support fresh morning air
When someone comes in and says something they don't agree with or that violates establishment conventional wisdom they have a full retard meltdown and scream
>"THAT ISNT FREE SPEECH HATE SPEECH SHOULD BE BANNED REEEEEE"
because free speech is just [insert popular thing] untethered from the underlying concept that we know it.

What they are really saying is they support *the consensus of the group*.

>What they are really saying is they support *the consensus of the group*.
holy shit, shut it down, you just described modern canada in one sentence.
Interesting how we can talk about this on an anonymous website like Sup Forums, but on twitter the accounts with real pics and names are doing exactly what you described with the fake words for attention.
It's just so disgusting and disheartening to see even teachers attacking the paper they shouldn't have claim over. I saw one teacher on twitter say he is gonna go down to the school and file a formal complaint. Against a student. It's like they're honestly afraid of this group of kids.

I also saw one journalist on twitter admit the university is in the wrong and the paper should be defended, and the immediately tweet the paper deserves the backlash. What the fuck.

I wish we had someone like Tucker Carlson up here in Canada, who can report on this without fear of having their life destroyed. No journalist here has enough clout to talk about this with an alternate view.

lmao, we couldn't even do that when we had conservatives in the government.

thebaron.ca/2018/01/25/sex-love-and-tomahawks/
you sure its not this one theyre complaining about

Yes, my bad, I should have mentioned there were two articles they're upset about. That is the first, I should have linked it too. Honestly I didn't think anyone would even reply to this thread.

And also:
thebaron.ca/2018/01/25/interview-with-michael-thurlow-leader-of-the-nsclrp/

But then there's also articles on the page about climate change, sexism, child poverty, etc, so you can't say the paper is leaning in a particular direction.

>Interesting how we can talk about this on an anonymous website like Sup Forums, but on twitter the accounts with real pics and names are doing exactly what you described with the fake words for attention.
Anonymity is Sup Forums's strength. Let's be real, this place is a piece of shit website made up of brilliant social commentary mixed with braindead trolling. But no leftist can come in and create a social hierarchy here. Every idea and every post is weighed without regard to ethos. Each statement must stand on its own and there is no social structure to subvert. They don't even know where to begin, so they say stupid shit that makes no sense when identities and social standing are removed, which makes them readily identifiable as a shill or lefty.

This, by the way, is what people mean when they say that this cannot be solved with words. We use he same words to speak an entirely different language.

The best part about this is, that editor girl suggests that she's not even white, and she's still being called a nazi just for sticking to her principles of being a fair editor.

>twitter.com/braubora/status/958278751607054336
banned from a news stand, oh no

Replace "Nazi" with "Juden" and you have Germany in 1936. Striking parallels here.

She isn't white, ya kek

you're absolutely right. I don't think anyone has ever properly described this before

Someone did a similar experiment on twitter replaces "white" with "black" on anti-white posts, specifically saying this was what they were doing, and twitter still banned them for hate speech.

It's like Canada is really some freak version of Nazi Germany.
>We don't permit this at our university!
>Paper just interviewed a marginalized group and did nothing to take declare a supportive position on the matter whatsoever
You'll be rounding them up and "re-edutcating" them or genociding them soon.

Taking a step back, how sad is that in general though. He's actually admitting to trying to erase a whole publication.

>The editor in chief does not want to apologize
>a real liberal on a university campus
And I thought they were extinct. The replies are depressing, however.

>did nothing to take declare a supportive position on the matter whatsoever
That's exactly the issue, that they provided the piece without commentary. The expectation is that they would either never publish the article in the first, or write a context twice as long disavowing the writer. See pic related.

>banned from a news stand, oh no
Banished from country, career, and the public. Kill yourself, nunazi scum.

You guys want to try fucking with huffington post? Well this is the thread for you!

Wonder what can be done about this. Seems like poor customer service to me. Would be a shame if somebody left a one-star review and a story somewhere...

Unfortunately, as states above, they are most likely going to be firing her tomorrow over this whole topic.

Beautifully worded. She has more balls than Canada can handle. Wish she could be given honorary citizenship in the States.

but user, didn't you putting your customers down is the best way to generate revenue?? United airlines has a seminar about it.

She'll probably have job offers lined up if it gets enough publicity.

can I get some archive links or screenshots?

>political refugee
I just hope they don't eject her from the university altogether. Sad day when newspapers and journalists have to answer to administration. Great way of preparing students for a life of never asking questions and always agreeing with popular narrative.
I know they just voted her in too, I wish they'll give her a whole shot.

One sec I'm on it

>didn't you putting your customers down is the best way to generate revenue??
I work in customer service, user. It's a very, very good way to get fired. While lefty-toity establishments (the likes of which pontificate their leftardedness on their menus and SM accounts) get a pass because it's entertaining, there is always, ALWAYS dirt that can be dug on them. One place here was found to be advertising Poo Ocean sourced crab as local and got absolutely reamed by our local newspaper. If you make the right case, somebody else will load it aboard a cargo train without brakes, which is precisely what we specialize in. Get data from customers that are jilted, rumors of sexual advances, impropriety, wrongdoing, rudeness, anything. The bug is pervasive, but its presence cannot be concealed forever. The time to clean house must inevitably come.

That'd be sweet, but very few newspapers, etc, dabble in alternate views.

Fire some messages off to fox, daily caller etc.

There's no place in higher learning for mentally ill Marxists either and yet there seems to be an infestation.

I'll make it a post later

Here's the first one, the interview.

thanks man

Heres the second

you scrwed up the right hand side, have you got a full page screenshot tool? if not just use archive.is

I was thinking also more Canadian sites, but maybe since buttfeed got involved fox will too. Maybe they can stick it in a segment about US campuses and freedom of speech, that would be nice. Tucker Carlson did speak about something I tweeted to him last year, but he later mentioned it didn't really matter since it wasn't in the states.

You're right I did, my bad. Didn't know about that site, here ya go:
archive.is/8Qzeq

and:
archive.is/XF1a9

thanks fren

No problem, Satan.