Animu Backup

Which HDD manufacturer does the average Sup Forumsnon trust most to store their most beloved Chinese cartoons on?

picture intended to grab your attention in the hopes of garnering helpful replies

Other urls found in this thread:

translate.google.com/translate?depth=1&hl=en&prev=search&rurl=translate.google.ru&sl=fr&u=http://www.hardware.fr/articles/954-1/taux-retour-composants-15.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Less interesting but more relevant image. Seagates are terrible apparently.

Western Digital and/or Kingston. I have had my 5 for nearly over 5 years with no faults, I am watching them like a hawk for any sign of failure. Will likely buy same brand again once they fail.

Out of curiorisity, how large are your WD and Kingston drives?

>Seagates are terrible apparently

I don't know shit about harddrives. But I'm having a seagate originally from a prebuilt pc and now still using it on my own built pc. 4 to 5 years old and no problems with this one.

Pic related. The cpu and gpu are newish but the drives are my old ones

I've been debating between two 3TB drives versus one 6TB. I've read that larger drives utilize more platters, increasing failure rates. I think I'll go with 2 x 3TB western digitals as well then.

Thanks user.

> Kingston
They don't manufacture HDDs, just put their logo on chink usb-sata boxes with whatever cheapest HDD they can shove inside.

Trust nobody, do raid6 of all manufacturers. Have two servers, each with raid6, one live and one backup (policy: add new, log/mark deleted, copy on edit)

It comes down to 90% how you treat your HDDs and 10% luck. Basically the less you use them the more they will last.

Is this true? Should I ask Sup Forums? I have that Toshiba at the top and I bought it because it was the cheapest available. What the hell.

never seagate never ever... that fucking drives fails like butterflies. and wd greens have bad durability, they tend to fail around 3-4 years, for me atleast. for seagates they shit on you on the first month or you're living in the constant hell thinking, "when will they fail, when will they fail"...again from experiance.
fuck seagate

for referance: i currently have
1 wd black as os drive(old as hell about 60k power on hours) -blacks are durable as hell but pricey,
2 wd blue in the chasis,
2 tosiba external as "nude",
2 samsung external as "nude",
1 wd green external as "nude",
1 seagate which has smart warning (fuck you seagate) external as "nude",
1 hitachi external as "nude",

2 dead seagate drives, all of them start to give smart warning after 1 month and shit themselves after 4, fuck you seagate,
6 dead wd green,which 2 of them i fried the pcb, dont force the molex-sata power converter if it doesnt go easily or you will fry the boad, my bad, other 4 died after 3-4 years, i think its about intellipower thingy, varible rpm's maybe fuckes the plates more quickly.

I've had the same Seagate 1.5Tb HDD for a couple years. Whilst the thing is still alive, it takes about two or three tries of plugging it in and out before my computer finally reads it and when it does read it makes this rather loud clicking sound. I just know this thing is going to die on me any week now.

Don't get Seagate. It's no meme, they're genuinely terrible.

If Hitachi is available, go with it.If not, western digital.

I'll never trust Hitachi. I've had two of their drives fail on me. WD are good. I have a Seagate that I've used for the past 2 years and works fine.

Hitachi & Toshiba.
Superior nipponese products just like my animes.

Older Seagate drives are terrible but they have been decent since they bought out Samsung's HDD division.
RMA rates from EU's biggest retail net: (lower is better)
Seagate 0.72%
Toshiba 0.80%
Western 1.04%
HGST 1.13%

translate.google.com/translate?depth=1&hl=en&prev=search&rurl=translate.google.ru&sl=fr&u=http://www.hardware.fr/articles/954-1/taux-retour-composants-15.html

Got myself a Synology NAS with 12tb capacity in raid 5. Should last me a while.

I have a Seagate 1.8TB HDD for three years, and it works just fine. You sure it's not a problem with any of your USB drivers? Have you tried different ports?

SG isn't the best, but it works. On the other hand, my previous WD HDD died on me within a year, so I stayed away from them since.

have had*

Western Digital

Western Digital and Seagate.

>Seagates are terrible apparently.
I've used a 1tb external seagate for like 7 years and it's been fine. I recently moved everything to a 6tb drive though.

There's a lot of stuff missing, and a bunch of shows I need to replace with BDs.

Use WD or HGST, or go back in time to prevent the best manufacturers from being killed.
All 2.5" drives are shit and will fail, probably due to glass platters.
Use offline 3.5" hard drives for storage, with more copies for the rare or more import stuff.
Don't keep them on but copy what you want to a buffer hard drive (also used for downloading) and then shut them off.

>RAID
Multiple copies synchronized to offline drive are probably easier for the average user

Those blackbaze people run them on custom chassis designed to be as cheap as possible, they probably get a lot of vibrations and stress

You can disable WD Green power saving with wdidle3, not sure if newer models support it but I have one from 2009 and one from 2012 and never had any problem.
But if you use them to only backup/copy stuff and then turn off then it shouldn't be an issue

The chart just means you're more likely to encounter a bad drive with Seagate than others, probably a problem with their manufacturing. You just got a lucky pick.

I too have a 1.5TB Seagate Freeagent that still works. It should be around 10 years old now. I have never reformatted it as well. It's one of those types that have their own power bricks.

I burn them on Blu Rays now and catalog which disc has what.

You can get a 100 disc stack of single layer recordables for 40 bucks translating to somewhere around 2.2TB of effective storage with a much longer shelf life with no worry of them suddenly dying on you. Worst that can happen is the disc drive breaking down but those still cost less than most hard disks these days. I no longer have to live in fear of all my years of sadpanda suddenly poofing into nonexistence.

I wanna add a blue ray drive to my pc, not just for backing up things but to also watch Chink blue rays.

What's the best bang your buck?

What the fuck do you do with 3 TB's of animu?

3TBs worth of animu is probably enough to entertain a Milfag on deployment to a shit hole with little to no internet access.

Dream of one day rewatching it all. Otherwise nothing.

Watch it?

> Multiple copies synchronized to offline drive are probably easier for the average user
Synchronized manually? Fuck that shit. Average users can just get some cheap 4bay and use raid5 there with zero effort, at

>he doesn't have 3TB of stuff from past couple decades
step it up, kohai.

The problem with that data, the company is too cheapo, using Seagate low-cost desktop models (ST4000X) for nearline storage applications. If they are using seagate enterprise drives, the result is comparable

Are 10TB drives reliable yet?
I want to replace my 8x3TB RAID6 setup because I'm out of physical space and don't want to mix external drives. Is 3x10TB RAID5 fine enough? Will it survive rebuild into RAID6 a few months later?

For mechanical SATA, Western Digital or Hitachi. SAS Hitachi and SATA SSD either Samsung or Intel.

Someone who can help and donate some money?
I only have a 60GB hard disk and it's impossible to save Anime there
Is extremely painful watch streaming at 720p

get a job to support your hobby you fucking piece of shit

>Synchronized manually
Rsync or one of the many point and click backup software

Is this a troll bait? 60 GB HD is from the early 2000's. What have you been doing since?

Search in the trash or at ham radio festivals or used ones on ebay

I'm not living in freedomland, soo...

Where the fuck do you live that you can't buy hard drives? How fucking poor are you?

WD and Hitachi

albeit small sample size on the one model, seagate still has 2.5x the failure rate of the hitachi drive on the model that has a large sample set

I'm now imagining that guy as a Somalian on Sup Forums.

If you buy disk drives for RAID, don't be a cheapo and buy the standard desktop 3.5" drives. Buy at least NAS disk drives.

Sup Forums has/had a legitimate Somali posting for a while now. He's probably branching out from banging his maid to watching Vietnamese fingerpainting shows now.