Baki Dou 162 translation

Have you heard? CITY's getting scanlated! They're almost done with multiple chapters already, I hear.

Oh, yeah, and I was gonna translate this Baki chapter. Right. Let's get to that. First things first, though: no anime news, no hype.

>Chapter 162: Knuckles

TN: I'm using knuckles because there is no real single-word synonym for "fist" in the English language that I could use. Musashi's using a word for "fist" that nobody else is using in the manga, and it technically just means "hand bone[s]". I'll probably have something better figured out for the scanlation, but this is now and that is then.

Speaking of the scanlations, we released a chapter like an hour ago. Our continued apologies for the molasses-like slowness, as there is no other real way (of which I am aware) to compensate for the offense of it.
spinybackwebdesign.com/2017/06/21/chapter-126-rerelease/

>Twigs: Wow!
>T: He picked him up with one hand...
>T: That's that samurai I saw on the news!
>T: A fight!?
>T: Why's he wearing a fundoshi?
>T: Is that a sword? A real sword?

>Hanayama: O-Samurai...
>H: Can you keep going?

>Musashi: Hmm.
>M: Funny...

DOPPO BEST BAKI

>M: You would ask if we were to continue.
>M: Heh-heh...
>M: How foolish.

>Narrator: A big fist...

>N: Once more.

>T: He drew it!
>T: He cut him!!!
>T: He cut that guy's hand!!!

>M: Incredible...

>M: Though I parted your knuckles,
>M: My viscera are spinning about...
>M: Oh.
>M: Oh?
>M: OH!?
>M: OHHH!!!

>N: A big fist,

>N: A third time...

>T: WHOAAA!
>T: He still slugged him, with the sword like that!
>T: He went flying again!
>M: Hey...
>M: Man of knuckles...

>M: Even Benkei... was less powerful.
>Tokutsumi: Utsugawa-sun.
>Tokutsumi: That's Hanayama for you!

They're speaking at the same time in the same bubble, and the text is literally overlapped. Obviously Gonna have to figure out what the fuck to do with that in the scanlation.

End chapter.

what if hanayama is kill?

'no'

Who's scanlating it?

>literally linked you to the site
Come on now

Well that just deflated my interest. Been waiting for months for a Baki update.

At least Aiki S is getting some love I guess.

Ok I dont care if he jobs anymore, he's doing a wonderful job at it.

>Well that just deflated my interest
What do you mean?

Also, we've got like 2-3 more Dou chapters that are all essentially done; so, we shouldn't expect any sort of hiatus like this again. There's also one Grappler chapter that's about ready and one that's 75% ready.

because new projects tend to stretch resources and affect other series being worked on or cause rifts.

I'm not saying that there WILL be issues caused by a new series but there's always potential issues with it.

Oh, don't worry about that at all. I'm translating Grappler Baki, Baki Dou and Kenjin; while Spiny translates everything else on his own. The redrawers we have for the Baki stuff only work on the Baki stuff. And our cleaner is always like a volume ahead of everyone else. So, no resources stretched or multitasking in any way.

I posted this on the previous thread but nobody replied:

Does anyone else really dislike the characterization of Musashi in this?

For a "sword saint", he surely comes off as a ruffian/greedy simpleton

Itagaki took that one sentence from the book of five rings about the spoils of the way of the sword being glory for oneself and one's daimyo and based his entire character off it

I also don't like how inconsistent his powerlevel has been. At one point he's Yuujiro levels (and even impressing Yuujiro), then he's taking multiple serious strikes from people objectively much worse than Yuujiro. Yuujiro would never be seriously struck by Hanayama. Or Retsu. Or have a scar left on his face by fucking Motobe of all people

How in the hell hasn't Musashi lost any teeth yet

Personally i think he's merely pretending to be a cunt and taking this chance to live his life as the polar oposite as he did his last one.

But i really doubt that.

>Itagaki took that one sentence from the book of five rings about the spoils of the way of the sword being glory for oneself and one's daimyo and based his entire character off it
Trust me, that's not what happened. There's a LOT of different things that Itagaki used to build his depiction of Musashi. Lots of lines directly from the Book of Five Rings (you'll actually see that as we go on), stuff from his other writings, lots of lines from Eiji Yoshikawa's Musashi, the story of Ji Chang, arbitrary legends about Musashi and so on.

The depiction of Musashi as a trickster is not a rare one by any means. And, he definitely does not come across as an idiot. He comes across as ignorant, which makes sense, given that he's 400 years out-of-place.

To speak to Itagaki's depiction, here's a random few lines I just fished out of the Book of Five Rings; it's about standing position:
>Adopt a stance with the head erect, neither hanging down, nor looking up, nor twisted. Your forehead and the space between your eyes should not be wrinkled. Do not roll your eyes nor allow them to blink, but slightly narrow them
>It is necessary in strategy to be able to look to both sides without moving the eyeballs.
>Grip the long sword with a rather floating feeling in your thumb and forefinger, with the middle finger neither tight nor slack, and with the last two fingers tight.
>In single combat, it is easy to win once the enemy collapses. This happens when you injure the "corners" of his body, and thus weaken him. It is important to know how to do this, so you must research deeply.
That's exactly how Itagaki depicts Musashi, always. See pic.
(Substitute "corners" for "edges" in that last one for comparison to the scanlations; they are the same word in Japanese.)

You're free to not like the depiction, but it is extremely thoroughly-researched and accurately-depicted.

Err - the first one is about standing position. The rest, of course, are not. I need to read over my posts more.

Bump.

Musashi is going to win again.
An you know it.

im in shock

I reject your truth and substitute in my own: Musashi will die here, from the accumulated damage that's all gone untreated

Pfft

I appreciate the the nicknames you've used throughout your translation threads, they're good for a chuckle

Hanayama is going to win and be the new protagonist. Screencap this.

You're just jealous because you know you're wrong
This is Musashi Dou, after all

Little old guy sure is getting his moneys worth isn't he

are there's any other manga out there like baki the grappler?
i already checked out kengan ashua

CITY?, please confirm

memetobe is the strongest character in the series

Why the author of bakis has such a raging boner for Hnayama. He is not the main character but is 10 times coler.

>Why the author of bakis has such a raging boner for Hnayama.

You mean Doppo.

Hanayama is rather shit when it comes to powerlevels, too. He was worse than babby Baki on the first series, and low tier during the Maximum Tournament

He's probably weaker than modern Gaia and much weaker than Pickle

This is a fact.

Pickle is still in the top 5 strongest characters easily, so being weaker than him is no shame.

jesus christ, thats an fucked anatomy

That's a fucked grammar.

Strong is literate.

But where the fuck is this arc going now? Unless Itagaki gets more experimental than ever with the storytelling, we know Baki has to fight Musashi at the end. So this whole business with Hanayama (and the cops before that) feels like pointless filler.

Don't worry Ali jr, will rise from the grave and kill musasho now that he's weak after having fought non stop without taking care of his wounds.

>Ali jr, will rise from the grave
He died?

Of humiliation I assume.

thank you :) I still can't believe we are almost at chapter 200