What Do You Think of The Rose of Versailles?

What do you think of this late '70s, early '80s anime? Has anyone seen it, or also read the 1970s manga? The Rose of Versailles is critically well acclaimed, and has even been made into a 1979 live-action film, parts of it are on Youtube too.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=PO2zSrALkmc
youtube.com/watch?v=I_5rd2bJln8
youtube.com/watch?v=RNl3oevaOkc
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

>Oskar ended up being straight

dropped

pre-LOGH

Of course she was. Oscar was given a male name by her father in order to act as a son so that she could legally join the military, since he only had other daughters among his children. Interestingly, she is even allowed after everyone just sees her as a woman. Effectively, she was doing the Joan of Arc thing by French Revolutionary times. She also had affections for the main man in the series, André.

Impatiently waiting for the English manga.

There was an English translation used during the making of the 1979 live-action movie, but it ended up getting lost soon thereafter. It's too bad that no new translation has surfaced since then.

It's one of the most famous cartoons in here
Been years since I watched it

The music for it is also excellent.
youtube.com/watch?v=PO2zSrALkmc
youtube.com/watch?v=I_5rd2bJln8

I've watched it at least 5 times. It's super popular in my country. Even between normies.

I love this series so fucking much.

Its been getting traction recently for some reason.

There ought to be a monument to Oscar in Paris.

What? It's been translated for ages

>There ought to be a monument to Oscar in Paris
>The same Paris that's now actively ashamed of Napoleon

>tfw the sequel has never been translated

I'd kill to see it happen.

Literally one of the first manga ever translated to English, it was done before 95% of the people on this site were even born

I'm just intending to buy it.

Rose of Versailles is my shit. I love it so much.
I love Ikeda's artstyle and the anime adapts it fairly well, and the OP is fuckin great

The Takarazuka musicals are also really pretty to watch, if you can afford the dvds of them I highly recommend it
They stream them sometimes too but then you have to deal with a bunch of XD tumblr people

Tfw you will never have a statue of Oscar in your country

Were his actions justified, Sup Forums?

Parisistan should be nuked in its current form, when will frenchfags rise up?

I remember an user asked the publisher when it was coming out since we were supposed to have it last year, did we ever get a confirmation of when it was being released this year?

I guess it is because it handles some LGBT themes pretty well(identification of what gender you are and shit), not to mention it was popular in France from what I saw so I imagine a lot of French normies would be nostalgic about it.

Yeah, Marie was kinda ruining the country with al her spending and leading to poverty

As an austrian I can see clearly that Marie is best and canonically the most beautiful girl.

Diane is a nice girl too

I'm sure she'd be a nice girl to hang around.

She didn't deserve

Is no one going to give any love to Rosalie?

She would be the best girl if Oscar didn't exist.

Rosalie is also lovely
I think she's my favourite girl besides Oscar

Is Oscar the most perfect girl in anime history? She's definitely in my top five but it's amazing how handsome she is.

Have a great intro
youtube.com/watch?v=RNl3oevaOkc

Oscar is the perfect woman. If I were a woman in the Versailles court I'd be just as thirsty for her as they are

What's wrong with these threads?
I never see any love for Jeanne de Valois, which is an absurd.
She steals the show near the end.

Don't stick your dick in crazy, her sister was cute though.

I can't believe they really aired that sex scene near the end. But then it was beautiful and I never heard about anyone complaining about it.

>tfw some news of a movie started floating around then...nothing

She was a well developed villain, but I think her treatment of Rosalie was a bit off since she just wanted her sister to come back to her

She was absolutely fascinating. I never could rejoice seeing her fall, the real villain for me was the capricious Marie Antoinette.

Why isn't she holding a tennis racquet?

Has anyone read or watched Oniisama e? I tried to read it a while back but the scans were awful
I know Ikeda just reuses the same designs as Marie, Oscar and André but it sounds pretty decent

That's a nice Oscar, do you mind if I save it to send to my friend?

Animation was the top

The rare case when the anime is superior to manga.

No, she is mine.

Understandable

This guy looks like Reinhardt + Griffith

I wonder what would have happend if Oscar ended up with a girl in the end, for the time the it was first published that is.

Andre is great though, the best childhood firend there is and actually won, for a short time

Do you think Oscar just let herself be shot by the canons? Seems like before they began to siege and she was looking about she decided "fuck it"

She probably just wanted to see André again after all that had happened
Though she did want to stay alive long enough to see the flag raised

Sword of Paros is the better manga. Stop being plebs.

>better reverse trap
>actually a lesbian
>better male foil
>better antagonist
>no marie cuntonette and court pettiness

I like Versaille no Bara as well but the art was so shitty and I hated everyone but Oscar and Andre and not!Andre.

scanlations already exist, tard.

Should also add that this is basically the precursor of Utena.

I'm still mad.

I also want a quality Oscar figure

I only watched it and loved it except for the ending.

Oscar-sama is prime Kaiser material.

How do I get Oscar's heart to go doki, doki for me?

I might just torrent it then over the next weekend

>>better reverse trap

What a P L E B

Be the Queen's lover. Otherwise, it may take her 30 years to notice you.

That was such bullshit ending, but it can be interpreted as a metaphor for the D.

I'm watching it now. Shit's pretty intense. The bullying has no end.

Doesn't her friend try to kidnap her or something when its her birthday? that's pretty fuckin wild

SIEG KAISER OSUKARU
SIEG NEUE REICHII

Mariko isn't her friend, she's her yandere lover, and kidnapping is the truest form of love.

That sounds pretty intense honestly

Honestly, Oscar's death in the manga struck me as being a bit too over the top with the way that Andre's ghost comes to visit her and everything.

I preferred her anime death, where she mistakes a bird for Andre and doesn't give a massive monologue, a lot more.

The anime is top tier.

At least there's one in Japan, but Takarazuka version.
Has anyone here watched those?

I prefer the anime's take on the deaths honestly. André dying by a stray bullet rather than jumping in front of Oscar makes it seem like the world is truly against Oscar. And having Rosalie be present for both just kind of adds to her character in my opinion

Are there subbed versions?

YOU KNOW IT MY MAN
I personally love the 2001 version but it might be bias because it was the first one I watched.
The OG was apparently really nice

Couldn't Oscar at least have pity fucked her just once?

Not that I've seen, but I know some people on tumblr stream them with fan subs sometimes
I just kind of go off my knowledge of the series and Japanese to grasp whats happening

Although I think there's a subbed scene of the 2001 play on youtube

>at least there's one in Japan
Where?

This is the first I'm hearing of this.

In the city of Takarazuka, near the big Zuka theatre I believe

The only thing I'd give the manga over the anime is that it goes up until Marie'x execution, and that the dresses in the manga are much prettier.

Other than that, the anime is pretty solid. TThe characterization is a lot more smother, and I like the attempts at giving it a dramatic flair, like making Robespierre into a fucking supervillian, and more emphasis on Andre's "problem"

Alain is a much better character in the anime. There, you get the idea that they're a rough and rumble group of civilians at the eve of the French Revolution, doing what they have to to survive.
In the manga, Alain acts like a fucking child and is ready to try and kill Oscar at any whisper of something going wrong.. I also like Jeanne being more of a tragic character in the anime rather than a selfish witch
OVER THE FUCKING LINE, CARLOS

I think the manga as a whole looks prettier, the dresses, the faces, the hair, the shoujo sparkles
I just like Ikeda's art style
Also the manga has that scene where Jeanne calls Oscar a lesbian and she gets so mad she tried to cut her down in court until André stopped her

I was totally fine with André's D but Onii-sama's D was indeed bullshit.

Shame that the Japanese hated Rosalie, hence why she had less and less screen time as it went on. Proving once again Japan has shit taste.

Girls loving girls are made for suffering. They don't even deserve pity fucks.

Objectively greatest anime of all time.

that's the good shit son

If that scene happened in a modern and popular manga imagine the sjw rage kek
Thanks user, I've never seen Takarazuka but I wanted to get into it through the BeruBara ones. Even if I have to pretend I know moon to watch.

I know, that always upset me
Rosalie deserved more screentime, at least she's in the sequel manga

I'd go to Paris once again if they did that.

The anime has that scene as well.

The majority of scenes from the manga that got cut where stuff that was honestly just filler, like the Mozart cameo in the early chapters.

Roaslie was trash. Worst girl who took up too much screentime. Her only redeeming moment was at the end of the series.

Hang on, I might have a few more screens saved from a stream a while back , let me find them

I remember there was a dorama long ago about an OL that admired Oscar-sama and had her as her role model.

Yeah but it isn't as Over the top in the anime, it doesn't show how rash Oscar can be
Its more tame in the anime from what I remember

Literally Brienne in anime form

trifecta.

>it's an Andre describes Oscar's painting episode

But Oscar-sama is actually beautiful and handsome as fuck.

another Oscar/André one since these apparently are the only ones I have from that

>Andre is great though
I really had a hard time forgiving Andre after he tried to rape her though. In fact, I ended up liking Fersen at the end more.

>the moment when you realize the full extent of what Andre is and has been going through

>tfw you realise that Andre was describing the femininity he saw in Oscar that the rest of society couldn't see

That's probably the exact moment Oscar realised she loved Andre.

>Set in France
>Characters speak Japanese

Stupid