Do you need a University degree to work in Information Technology?

Do you need a University degree to work in Information Technology?

Depends. Some IT jobs just require certain certifications and not degrees. Like sysadmins, network admins, etc only need some CISCO certs I think?

Poojeet already took the job. Sorry.

Software Engineer here. You need a technical bachelors degree to get interviews for almost all Software Engineering positions. Computer Science, Computer Engineering and Electrical Enginering degrees are requirements for most jobs

This desu. I got a 2 year degree from community college but it was just a path to a ccna. Get your cert and network a little, you can get a pretty good gig without much effort. Most businesses don't understand (or care) what you do

Please call us at 1 800 Treason. Ask for Scemey McDrumpf.

It's true that a lot of the positions have gone to Indians but that only extends so far. There are many Engineering industries that are required to be Americans (think national security, etc.). I've been doing this work for 16 years and I don't see them beating me out for jobs. Experience still reigns supreme

Not necessarily. Get a tier 1 support job, preferably from a smaller company. Work your ass off but more importantly, make connections. Talk to people and be cool, even if you hate them. Build your resume and make a nice LinkedIn with written endorsements. Networking and a good reputation is all you need.

>t. 90k salary with no degree

>Do you need a University degree to work in Information Technology?
No. Don't be stupid.

National security does not require them to be American in the sense that would be most beneficial.

I work a dumbass help desk position and make almost 40k. Ez work, cozy conditions, chill bosses, 40 hours a week, etc. Some of my coworkers don't have degrees, and none of our degrees actually matter. Still somewhat of a shit job, but better than the bottom rung. There seem to be a ton of helpdesk type jobs now. Stuff like taking calls to troubleshoot a company's specialized software or whatever. Try applying to staffing or temp agencies. Try putting yourself as "seeking X degree" or "graduating in 4 years" or something like that. Even if you aren't enrolled or anything, it makes you sound like a grad-to-be. Or maybe you can try to do freelance stuff or learn enough actual useful skills that people will overlook the lack of degree.

I knew a Sup Forumsentooman who got paid six figures because he could do basic PC repair and was available 24/7 for the company he worked for. He'd get paid thousands in bonuses to fly out to business meetings across the world on a moment's notice just to plug a projector into a laptop because dumb boomers and normies consider it beneath them, or hdmi cables to e alien technology.

There are many Engineering contracts that are offered by our military to design and build anything from weapons to submarine systems. These absolutely can only be filled to American citizens as they are subjected to security clearance.

Do you feel like there are opportunities to move up?

No but probably not a good idea.
No experience + no education = your boss using you as an excuse for cyber crime.

companies that do defense contracting are required to only employ american citizens with clearance, is my understanding. at least for certain projects. lots of job security there if you're a citizen with clean piss and a clean record.

>be me
>get good at java and php in the late 90's
>wizard.jpg
>poos and azns work twice as fast for 1/10 the pay
When I get work, it's only because the prospect is tired of translation issues.

I just don't think it can work without a more homogeneous society.

Those contracts are more plentiful when the right assumes control of Washington. Democrats cut military spending when they're in power and then those contracts are hard to find

You don't want to be in IT. That has been filled with Pajeets and females.

You need to learn development.

I just want a comfy office job that pays decently and there is a new university opening up next year where I live.

Not if your best friend has a degree and a job.

>You need to learn Engineering.

Fixt that 4 u. Engineering is one of the last bastions of meritocracy because if a company hires a bunch of idiots, the project will fail and waste billions of dollars and potentially cost lives.

IT can be a great career choice. I make $156,000 annually. There's plenty of job security these days but you have to like working with computers because it can be a lonely job with not much human interaction compared to other jobs

I don't know how it works in your country, but in the United States CompTIA certifications, namely Security+, help go a long way in getting the first job, then just build experience. A college degree is not required.

No, you need a keyboard.

Wrong, I work in IT and have to deal with people every day and it can be a major headache. Different branches of IT I guess.

Sort of. I think large companies' HR departments want to see a degree, but you can get one on the side while working. My company pays for your degree if you stay on for 2 yrs after graduating and if they approve the degree. Some people at my company were promoted while not having a degree yet.

My current job doesn't teach a ton of transferable skills (it's specialized to my niche industry), but I could probably easily transfer to another help desk, including ones working with more universal subject matter. I've re-enrolled for a master's, since I think the prospects would be better than moving up the ladder in my company.

This

IT can mean a lot of different things. Maybe you just hang out in the server room and never talk to anyone and are in charge of keeping the servers running.

IT could also mean you help dumb boomers and normies find the internet explorer icon on their desktop.

You're right. There are different disciplines of IT, some of which deal with people often. In my job, I don't deal with many, other than meetings

You just need to be not a retard. Most people have trouble with that.

I like the cases where it's as simple as helping someone find IE on a desktop because that's easy. I don't dislike the people where I work or anything, some of them are really cool... but sometimes they need things that require a LOT of time and effort on my part for things that are negligible in terms of inconvenience on their end. I wish I could dictate their priorities.

Australia has trade school. It has a weird name like TAFE or something.

I know, sorry... I wasn't trying to come off as rude (though this is Sup Forums), just done with a busy week working in IT dealing with people and venting.

Absolutely NOT. Certifications are the way to go. They go a long way, in my experience they help more than degrees. While I was being a liberal turd in college, my best bud just took certification classes CCNA, CCNP, CCIE, etc. He easily makes over $100,000. Im working my way on doing the same. You can take these classes from home too. Be strong and don't give up OP.

You're fine. Have a good weekend.

You too!

Thanks I'll give them a look are they expensive?

I went from working in an office doing the worst kind of menial data entry to earning more than a Doctor in IT (without having to live in London) in the space of seven years with no degree or previous IT experience
It wasn't easy but it is doable if you work hard, think fast and have confidence in explaining complex things to idiots
I believe in you OP

It takes WAY more than home classes to get CCIE. You'd need over a decade of in depth networking experience minimum to even begin to study for that... and even more to go for Architect.

>you just have to work hard to be given a chance

Read my post, CCIE takes a LOT more than what he's saying to get... though he is right, you have CCIE you will easily make 6 figures many times over.

Just get a degree from trump university man.

No, if your willing to man a support desk for a while and work your way up. Certifications count more round here, and companies will pay for those courses.

Nowadays you need a University degree to stack boxes in a warehouse, so yes, you do.

not over here. hard to find people who know their shit. if you are smart, can code and are strong in linux the only reason I wouldn't hire you is if you have personality issues.

Thanks brah it's just tough because the city I live closest to is Brisbane meanwhile most IT jobs are in Sydney or Melbourne.

you can go to tech schools for that shit. But this goes to all younger people here, you NEED some form of higher education if you want any sort of good job. Dont let SJW boogeymen scare you out of getting a good STEM degree if you can get it

pajeets are often shit and lack creativity. they only make sense at scale.

I am a data "engineer".
i just spend my days automating shit with R , the most social interaction i have is handing out forms so your average sweatshop spic can feed the database.
comfy as fuck when everyone around barely knows excel

>they lack creativity
>create ever poojeet god

I did some quick googling and found a place that does 5 week CCNA training classes for around $2000 AUD.

I'm a system engineer and it took me 10 years to make 80k with no degree.

Accept something entry level and grind.

Yes

I'm a network admin and engineer for a small (1000 users) ISP. I got in through practical knowledge and a desire to learn.

I'm pretty sure I was the only one to apply...
Anyways, experience and certifications are more important than a college degree. Start low, call centers and shit, and work your way up.

And even if he didn’t know how to fix something he could just say “it’s totally fucking fucked m8” and the commie boomers wouldn’t know otherwise.

Do this:
>Get virtualbox
>Pirate Windows 2012 & RedHat (or use Ubuntu)
>Build your own little virtual environment consisting of one domain controller, a windows box and a Linux box, domain join the two latter
>Mess around with group policies / account management
>Pirate some of the Microsoft course material for their quals and use your new little lab for the lessons & excercises

If you’ll let me shill a moment, IT shit is all about certs. That’s all that matters. Literally. They take about a week or two for the most basic and then as your knowledge base grows, the more ridiculous certs seem less so.

Start with A+, then go for net+, then sec+ and by then you’ll know which path you want in the it field.
I use plural sight for my training because they just teach to the test- nothing more or less. It isn’t for pooranons though, each cert runs a bit and nicer certs cost more.

I should probably ask, what do you want to do in IT? Because depending on what your goal is it may require a degree.

Pajeet is the worst coder on the face of the planet. I've contracted at loads of places that outsourced to the likes of Tata/TCS a few years back, now they're setting up in house dev teams again. I've made good coin sorting their shitty code.

Hardware side, sys admin etc

getting the nod from a friend is the biggest lift you can get for entry job. building up experience is all you need after that.

i've worked (it contractor) with dudes with no degrees and dudes with masters, all on the same wage.

You should get into deployments and field engineer posts.
Lot of driving/lot of good mileage money, no shitty office to rot in, decent pay, high level of freedom, talk to lots of fine women, get off early most days

You definitely don't need a degree for that. I'd recommend starting out, for hardware, getting CompTIA A+ exams, then Network+ and Security+. Security+ is big for defense contracts, but that's more relevant here in the US. System admin you may be better off going for Microsoft certs, but I'd get at least the basic CompTIA certs first. I recommend talking to someone from your country who works in IT because what works where I live may be different. Good luck!

>talk to lots of fine women
I am deployments and I never meet any fine women
All of the women I meet are menopausal thick as shit Project Managers

SLIDE THREAD SHOULD HAVE BEEN ON Sup Forums but greater than usual B8.

oh fuck off maybe I asked Sup Forums cause it's my main board, it's not slow and unhelpful like Sup Forums and Sup Forums will actually give decent advise

kek

i meet plenty o the fat ankled mongs too, but they may as well be furniture, they all blur into one.

Sup Forums is literally nothing but 14 year olds script kiddies and mid 20 something year old NEETs running arch linux who have never worked a day in their life. Oh and crossdressers, lots of those.

>a university degree

No. You can take a technical degree so you can become a code monkey, which btw will turn you into a far more skilled programmer than most engineers.
Not even trolling.

I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you're referring to as Linux,
is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I've recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux.
Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component
of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell
utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day,
without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU
which is widely used today is often called "Linux", and many of its users are
not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project.

There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a
part of the system they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system
that allocates the machine's resources to the other programs that you run.
The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself;
it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is
normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system
is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called "Linux"
distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.

I.T. is very broad, exactly what kind of I.T. job are you trying to get? Networking? Penetration tester? Software developer? Programmer? DBA? Tech support? Web developer? QA Testing?

You don't necessarily need a degree depending on what you want to do.

Do you write open source software? Contribute to projects on github?
Certifications are sometimes an excellent option.

The path you take depends on where you want to go.

Why would you ask this on pol?

Got a friend who is in the industry, says that degrees are worthless. The company he is with started out with choosing people based on degrees, then since most of those were literal retard and had to be taught a bunch of things, they switched back to interview, now the requirement is to do a task they give you, if you know your stuff you can get in without a degree. I would say that unless you are very unlucky, if you do actually have the skills you can get employed without a piece of paper.

Sys admin, web dev u dont need degrees, just certs and boot camps.

But any serious software engineer/ computer engineer/ data scientist has a degree. But that doesnt mean you cant make it, plenty of people have high paying jobs without degree which kinda pisses me off.

I go to the top tech school in region for CS, the maths and other semi EE/semi math classes are hard as fuck, people are dropping out right and left, everyone is learning 24/7...

I mean yeah its good cuz most CS guys get hired at fourth year and later when they graduate and work for a year-two already make 2x the average salary but then you have people who just randomly decide "hey i wanna get into le tech" and after learning land some shit job and they are now self proclaimed IT "engineers".

Fuck that shit.

Do you still learn on BBC Micros?

Sory I dont speak Arabic so I dont know what you mean

No
correct

True but real networking is not easy. It is fun and rewarding though.

Get an INE subscription after you learn how to use GNS3.

real network architects are just network architects and can do more than cisco, especially now where your fw's and routers are being virtualized. If you want to go the CCIE route it'd be better to simply get a second CCIE.

I was creating DMVPN's in the real world while you were paying someone to learn something I had already experienced first hand.

Oh -- and then my company paid for my schooling, for free, all of it.

Is it better to do a CS degree rather than an IS or completely depends on what I want to do I just think CS would be seen more highly.

Listen kid, I've been using computers since the original Apple 1 was in stores. In high school I ran a multi-user BASIC system running on a Data General Nova minicomputer connected to 3 schools via 300bps modems over leased phone lines. The first computer I built was based on a 1976 Popular Electronics article and used an old Teletype ASR-33 as a terminal. The next three computers were S-100 bus systems running CP/M v2.2. Depending on your age, I was writing code in C under CP/M before you were even born. I've owned no-name Taiwaneese knock-off XT clone motherboard-based systems I built on the cheap, with monochrome graphics. I remember the original Mac looking like someone's idea of a joke to me. I thought Windows v2.x was the most useless thing on the planet. I actually ran IBM's OS/2 for a couple years and thought it was awesome. The only reason I changed from Win95 was because the USB support was virtually non-existent. The only reason I changed from Win98SE to Win2k was it wasn't stable on a CPU running over 800MHz. I had an entire WinNT4 domain, complete with PDC, running in my apartment, while I was getting an MCSE.

You still want to call me "new", friend?

Check your Linux privilege. Not all of us are running it, and your overwhelming arrogance indicates to me that you're rather young, and perhaps you aren't being totally honest about making your living the way you do.

Not if you know what you're doing. For a while they didn't take people that did drugs, so I stopped caring about the legit side of it.

You sound like the guy who works in IT who gives all the routers names from Star Wars and uses his annual leave to go to Minecon

linux is for poor people

underrated gold post