Maya "Megalopolis" Below Guatemalan Jungle

>In what’s being hailed as a “major breakthrough” in Maya archaeology, researchers have identified the ruins of more than 60,000 houses, palaces, elevated highways, and other human-made features that have been hidden for centuries under the jungles of northern Guatemala.

>The results suggest that Central America supported an advanced civilization that was, at its peak some 1,200 years ago, more comparable to sophisticated cultures such as ancient Greece or China than to the scattered and sparsely populated city states that ground-based research had long suggested.

>Already, though, the survey has yielded surprising insights into settlement patterns, inter-urban connectivity, and militarization in the Maya Lowlands. At its peak in the Maya classic period (approximately A.D. 250–900), the civilization covered an area about twice the size of medieval England, but it was far more densely populated.

>“Most people had been comfortable with population estimates of around 5 million,” said Estrada-Belli, who directs a multi-disciplinary archaeological project at Holmul, Guatemala. “With this new data it’s no longer unreasonable to think that there were 10 to 15 million people there—including many living in low-lying, swampy areas that many of us had thought uninhabitable.”

>Virtually all the Mayan cities were connected by causeways wide enough to suggest that they were heavily trafficked and used for trade and other forms of regional interaction. These highways were elevated to allow easy passage even during rainy seasons. In a part of the world where there is usually too much or too little precipitation, the flow of water was meticulously planned and controlled via canals, dikes, and reservoirs.

news.nationalgeographic.com/2018/02/maya-laser-lidar-guatemala-pacunam/

Other urls found in this thread:

gutenberg.org/files/2131/2131-h/2131-h.htm
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Browns can't maintain a civilization.

who cares honestly

Blame the Spanish Inquisition

anyone here ever listen to Manly P. Hall or read his works?

a lot of the info in this thread is related

mesoamerica was a bit more than meets the eye

AN ACCOUNT OF EGYPT

By Herodotus

gutenberg.org/files/2131/2131-h/2131-h.htm

I hope the mestizofucks squatting on the land wont plunder it now and sell it for cheap.

>hurr

It sounds like this civilization petered out before the spaniards arrived

So what is the spanish equivalent to "WE WUZ KANGZ N SHIET"?

they did. The people living there when the Spaniards discovered them had lived in the forest outside of it for years before, when they moved into the cities the people who built them were gone. Incan structures are better put together older, Egyptian calculations are better when older.

/thread

That seems like a pretty informative thread. It's too bad though, even for the Aztecs it seems like they were pretty much doomed by disease, even if the Europeans had been peaceful. I know at least to some extent the clergy that followed them could be scholarly and helpful. I'm not very informed on it, but I took an art history class in college that involved some mesoamerican stuff where we talked about instead of destroying some monumental statues, they'd purposely bury them because they didn't want to lose the history, but they also wanted the indigenous people to forget their old religion.

That civilization went for more than a thousand years, the US is only 250 years approx

Will blacks try to take credit for this civilization too?

>WE WUZ KUBLAI KHANS N SHIET

I don't think anyone is denying that Meso American and South American precolonial civilisations weren't Africa tier. Heck, the Aztec city of Tenochtitlan was pretty much on par with Paris or Venice at the time.
They just got fucked over with the whole gunpowder/steel/diseases that the Spanish brought with them, combined with the slavery revolt thing.

I disagree. Mesoamerica had some fascinating civilization and forays into mathematics and architecture

that's why you don't build a civilization in a jungle so dense that explorers can't find most of your ruins 1000 years later

Sure, the people who didn't even invent the wheel were as advanced as the Greek and Chinese.

>Posts picture of darker skinned Mayan art
You whites were in caves while we were telepathically making this.

>don't even invent the wheel
>advanced understanding of astronomy but still think you need to sacrifice babies to make the sun rise
mesoamericans were only a few steps above kangz

>didn't invent the wheel

Fucking retards.

>invent wheel
>don't invent wheelbarrow
>don't invent water wheel
>don't invent windmill
>don't invent crane
>just make toy
yeah that is retarded

>moving the goal posts

Nigger.

They were certainly more advanced than Scandinavia.

>>>/hist/

>the results found that central american natives at one point advanced to the level of ancient greece, then sunk into savagery and idiocy until some horny angry spain bois came and raped them all.

wow such a great civilization

Replace "spain bois" by "niggers and muslims" and you have the modern day West.

No, why?

The Mayan civilization collapsed from drought and starvation way before the spaniards ever came to America.

no, the natives of central america were destroyed from the outside, we are killing ourselves from the inside. there is currently no human force that could destroy 'the west' our military might is still far too powerful, and disease is doubtful to weaken us to the same extent.

Mexico is a shithole because they are mostly mixed race. America will get worse if we keep it up.

This tbqh. It's population probably ended up exceeding available land for cultivation which led to implosion and collapse.

Do you really not understand the intention of the wheel?

human sacrifices make sense to control over population, human sacrifices or war

There were no inquisition in south america, inquisition was an organ by the goverment to make sure the converted jews keep being christian and stopped being crypto jews (keeping their practices and jeweries)
Jews in england and netherlands knew this and then started spreading the black legend

Nosotros éramos Reyes i mierdas

that explains why rome collapsed

>at its peak some 1,200 years ago, more comparable to sophisticated cultures such as ancient Greece or China
Yeah, good job! You had an advanced stone age civilization in 800 A.D.! Whoo-hoo!

>moving the goal posts

Nigger.

>Nosotros éramos Reyes i mierdas
So who's Reyes and who's mierdas?

Why is it that Mayan, Aztec, Inca people, etc, were able to build pyramids and have major cities while the Natives up north like the Apache, Sioux and all of them stayed at a hunter gatherer level of technology? If they all came from the same ancestors from across the Alaska land bridge that means that the civilizations far to the south got there much later than the tribes up north had already settled in.

Yeah people forget this shit, just like the Mayan empire, it wasnt for another 2-400 years before humans inhabited that land that was the roman empire.

To be fair, their society advanced in near total isolation, unlike Europe and other nearby cultures who could share their knowledge and speed up the process.

>seven story pyramid discovered
I have a strange feeling that discoveries like these are going to increase significantly in the coming years

Fascinating bud, any textbooks or researchers I should look into on that?

>This is how all pre-columbian natives would have looked if white people hadn't colonized.

And, the Chinese only used gunpowder for shit cannons and fireworks while the Europeans went beastmode for ~600 years.

The people that inhabit the region now have undergone massive dysgenic shifts and hybridization with populations brought over from the old world. It would be fascinating to study what the pre-Columbian DNA suggests their IQ's/temperments would be

Feminism killed the Mayans.

There were several "civilizations" like the "Mound Builders", but its better to imagine the Northern non-costal Aboriginals as more or less Mongols who ate all their horses

That pic is very true, but the Spanish were particularly brutal with them.

>elevated highways

If only they domesticated bisons, damn!

my mo-tard friends telling me this proves this book of mormon

From what I understand, they weren't the same group. The central/south america natives came over significantly earlier than the north america natives.

>at its peak some 1,200 years ago,
No, much older.

cute!

Correct. Over time, languages will splinter into a gradually larger number of dialects. Lack of dialectical variety in Amerindian languages in the northern part of North America suggests that the speakers of those languages arrived later than the more established populations of the South.