Which Yu-Gi-Oh! series was the best and why?

Which Yu-Gi-Oh! series was the best and why?

I feel like 5D's was the best regardless of the flack it gets for being card games on motorcycles. I can't remember much but I remember thinking the plot and characters were better than that of the older Yu-Gi-Oh! serieses. I believe the duels were better as well.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=ebU7DA4GVW8&t=180s
yugioh.edwardk.info/
ygorganization.com/dsod-home-release-error/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

the first one better

Explain why. Don't just give us a half-assed response.

5d's up to the end of the Dark Signers arc was the best Yu-Gi-Oh anime. For manga, the original is unrivaled, great character development and it ends before it gets stale, unlike other shonen manga.

Original > 5ds > GX >Zexal
the rest is irrelevant

The first two arcs of 5D's are definitely the peak of the series.

But the original was consistently good.

GX was a mistake.

The first series has the tightest plot if you look more towards the manga as the anime just kind of starts late while changing things, with the old Toei version technically covering that missing part with some other changes.

GX ends up being the one you have the most fun watching, but the first two seasons are overall weaker than the rest and some eps come off more filler-y even if they aren't all necessarily bad or unimportant.

5D's is hard to get into because of its different feel unless you connect well with it and the duels just didn't do it for me until towards the end of the first arc. But the end of that arc and the second are great, then it retcons some shit, gets slow with painful filler for a while, starts another arc which eventually leads into the end plot which isn't the best but is enjoyable to watch, though the pacing can be slow before this. The MC feels like too much of Gary Stu even for YGO though.

I haven't seen Zexal but I hear S1 is a mess and S2 improves on it.

Arc-V started a bit oddly, but picks up more quickly than most others besides the original at around ep 7 (though early GX eps are entertaining), there's a few more weak eps after that but after that you've got the strongest part of the series for a while, the next part while slow is pretty good, the next parts are weaker, but all in all outside of the action card aspects, the duels are the best written overall compared to the rest of the series even when it somewhat loses itself while not entirely.

VRains is still pretty weak, but the writing feels really weak and I'm not a fan of the rule changes which shits on previous series.

Really most of them do something better than others so they're worthwhile if you're interested in the franchise in different ways.

GX

GX has the best development,with jaden chaz zane cyrus and alexis,some people don't believe zane and alexis had any,but zane was a top that didn't understand the pro world and always thought he was the best,and the loss made him realize how far he is and in the end accepting cyrus is a good duelist, alex was relevant to every arc and gave people development,

>GX was a mistake.
Did you even watch GX?
Arc-V was the damn mistake.

5D's because it wasn't kid shit. And also because the 2nd opening was rad af.

Manjome was the only good part of GX.

Zexal to me. It was the most emotional, treated its cast well (most), the villains were great, the protagonist actually got better with time in both dueling and personality and... I guess that was it. I liked even S1

I feel like zexal hate are mostly because of the dub,I switch from 20ep of the dub to sub and it made me less mad,well less mad enough to continue to watch up to ep40 where we finally got a constant plot

>All those dub names
Had a hard time reading your post.

Arc-V had so much potential and it ended up being the worst of all the Yu-Gi-Oh anime, not that it means much.

youtube.com/watch?v=ebU7DA4GVW8&t=180s

I really love this.

Sanda was a fun character but he wasn't the only good thing about it. Evetyone was a fun character and the sheer craziness was amazing.

Toei 0>GX>DM>5Ds>Zexal>arc v

5DS was almost as much waste of potential as arc V but had genuinly good story arcs, Zexal was mostly bad with some occasional good ideas, DM had too much filler everywhere but the best group of friends and mithology, GX had the best reocurring cast and interesting stories but the first too seasons had too much filler, season zero has the lowest production values but is pretty creative.

I say the first one of NAS.
Gave huge popularity to the game, which later resulted in the creation of the other shows. Amazing soundtrack, fantastic voice acting.

The backbone of the anime was the manga( and while the show pales in comparison to the manga, NAS YGO was good adaptation) thanks to this the show had a main arc and a destination instead of a bunch of mini arcs without a destination like GX or 5D had. ZEXAL had the whole Barian vs Astral thing going on and even when I hate ARC-V they had an overall plot.

Iconic monsters, classic battles and probably the best final duel of the franchise.

Of course NAS Yugioh is not perfect and suffered of budget cuts on the most important arc ( Millennium world), filler and selling cards since the start instead of going with the multiple games we saw in the manga.

>wasn't kid shit
>duel jesus plays card games in a bike
Come on, user. GX had Judai in love with an hermaphrodite being, original had people getting killer over Card games, ZEXAL had kids dying.

5Ds first half > Arc V's first 30 episodes > DM > GX > Zexal = 5Ds second half > Arc V's last 100 episodes
Arc-V is among the worst wastes of time I've ever seen

As much as I enjoyed the original the first time, it's pretty flawed in a few areas. 5Ds though is pretty damn good.

It has the best and catchiest OP's in the series

>Arc-V is among the worst wastes of time I've ever seen

How so? I haven't seen it yet but plan on watching it soon.

First 50 episodes are pretty strong, but the show doesn't pay off well, and there is a literal block of 50 episodes in the middle that mean NOTHING in the grand scheme of the plot.

I love DM/NAS to death and I agree with you in most of your points but saying it was a good adaptation is far from reality.
Most of Bakura's interactions with Yugi and friends were cut out, replacing them with non-sense like Bandit Keith's duel with Yugi, the anime version of the first RPG was joke and what the fuck were those magic Egyptian lasers in Battle Ship about.

I wanted to used subs,but every time I used subs,nobody know who I was talking about here

Agreed. 5Ds up to the end of Dark Signers is easily the best YGO anime and definitely one of my favorite anime in general. It's just fucking solid.

It has an incredibly strong first 52-55 or so episodes with an ensemble cast that gets pretty solid relevance and development and then just stops trying to do anything with that beyond ep 64 and basically loathes to let the characters interact for anything more than the absolute minimum required to convey plot details during the later parts of the show. It honestly feels like the writers gradually just gave up entirely for some reason and I don't know why. There WAS a notable increase in card shilling as the show progressed though, so it's possible they just gave up after enough interference.

first 20 episode are bad,episode 30 was a dark duel that made it gain popularity,synchro arc was repititive and the villain were bad/not that strong of a villain,xyz was rush,fusion was perfect with some people didn't like the ending of fusion arc,but the show ended pretty badly with character development being force/wrong way,the last 10 ep was extremely rush,and the first 2 arc made us think yuzu was the best female protagonist but they made her like akiza from 5d and set her aside pissing a lot of people like me,the biggest problem was every character was loved in the series yet everyone got soo little screen time,it had too big of a cast.

Thing is, synchro was still better than what came after it. Xyz, fusion and pendulum were all pieces of pure shit that made fucking synchro look decent.

What was so bad about Synchro?

Not really the worst, even at it's weakest parts I found it more enjoyable than the weaker parts of 5D's, partially because I didn't care for a lot of the cast. It didn't live up to its potential, but if you look back the Fusion arc had plenty of good duels, with a few interesting plot points and moments and that's more than you can say for a lot of stuff. Similarly even with XY in such a mess you get duels like the double duel with Grace and Gloria. At the time I was into the card game again and that just made it feel much better until DN went down.

I can't speak for Zexal and I've only read a few of the manga series.

All of the characters spent the majority of the arc in individual locked hotel rooms, which was a black hole of character interaction and growth.
The core plot is a shot-for-shot adaptation of the Fortune Cup Arc of 5Ds.
All of the OG characters outside of the villain are completely stupid and deserved the villain taking them over.
It's a year long.
Absolutely nothing happened that actually carried over and mattered in future episodes. Crow and Jack return but they do nothing but say lines other characters could say and job in duels that other characters could job in.

Just read the synopsis of Arc V and it looks like dueling has been relegated to entirely nothing but entertainment.

Zero character interaction, Yuzu becomes trash, that fucking cockblock episode, everything said, the list goes on. The only good character introduced in Synchro is Roget and only because he's too fun to watch.

One of the major themes of the show is a balance between Entertainment and Practicality. The MC wants to make people smile with dueling and the enemy faction (as well as resistance factions that show up) is using extremely practical dueling to decimate foes.

The problem with this is that Yuya is a very poorly-written MC. He goes through important character development that teaches him about how there's a time and place for making people smile, to the point where he is WILLING TO COMPLETELY DITCH HIS IDEALS TO SAVE HIS WAIFU, then he just...forgets it. After a time, this eventually progresses into him being a mindless EGAO-spewing duel zombie that brainwashes villains into his cult of EGAO and fighting for the side of good.

Because why bother actually having a complex talk about there being a time and place for fun and games, right?

>The only good character introduced in Synchro is Roget and only because he's too fun to watch
He was too good for this shitshow.

Arc-V past episode 50 is irredeemable shit.

Arc V

Found a collection of Bittorrent files for Yu-Gi-Oh! soundtracks and some episodes.

yugioh.edwardk.info/

YAMEROOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

DM is best. But there are others that are also good.
GX is pretty entertaining and watchable. I don't know how.
Early 5D is kino.
Other than this it's just average. It's watchable but not great. That said, I didn't bother watching Zexal but I saw a late season episode and that was pretty good.

>Early 5D is kino
...does that mean good or bad?

I don't understand why people act like Arc-v was great in the first 50 episodes and only got bad at synchro. It had consistently terrible art and animation (remember when the discussion threads kept promising it would get better when the skilled animators were back from working on DSoD?), and even worse was based on the premise of duels as entertainment with an MC who was utterly incapable of having entertaining duels. Pendulums + action cards combined to make some of the most repetitive and predictable duels in the series, and were vastly worse even than Zexals stand battle duels.

As someone who watched Zexal in sub from the start, it definitely was bad from the start. Yuma crosses the line into pure retardation too many times to take him seriously when he's in a serious battle. That being said, I also agree with Zexal 2 being some of the best yugioh out there.

This is correct. 5ds is great, but the original manga is still the best.

In terms of enjoyment, Zexal is 5ds in reverse. Zexal has a bunch of really frustrating moments in the first half, with a few great moments, but in the second half it builds on the characters of the first half and honestly ends up great. Given the weakness of the first half, it's kind of amazing how well it sticks the second half, much like how in 5ds, given the strength of the first half, it absolutely shits the bed in the second half.

I'm still salty over how quickly 5ds went from great to really-fucking-boring.

Maiami Championship had plenty of good duels, both Yuya vs Reiji duels were fantastic, and there was still a semblance of character development and interaction before Synchro. It's obviously not one episode on in its own the mark of the series decay but it certantly got worse after entering Synchro.

Yuya's duels were absolutely typically pretty boring (the ones without the following characters or Mieru involved anyway), but Shun, Sora, Sawatari, Gongenzaka, Yuzu, and Reiji all had really exciting duels throughout standard arc and some beyond. Yuto and Yugo (especially Yugo) also had good duels almost whenever they did duel.

Arc-V did a bad job with the broad narrative elements in its latter half (especially when compared to how zexal evolves in that respect), but I'd say the more typical moment to moment duel shit was handled fairly well compared to zexal since not every duel in ARC-V was protect the castle bullshit.

the first one better

I don't think Zexal ever reaches the sort of peak that 5Ds started with since even when it gets good it has tonal problems that keep it down a notch compared to how fucking good early 5ds is; but calling it a reverse 5ds is an apt comparison nonetheless.

Mild error here. Pacing problems; not tonal problems.

good

How did the man who directed the best Yu-Gi-Oh anime also directed the worst Yu-Gi-Oh anime?

>Bought Dark Side of Dimensions bluray cause I have nostalgia for dub and enjoyed the theatrical run
>Surprised to find the bluray has the Japanese version
>Decide to watch, love the Japanese cast
>The subs are just subtitles of the english script, and not accurate at all for some scenes

Oh well.

Are you talking about Arc V or what?

You are one lucky user.
ygorganization.com/dsod-home-release-error/

5d's first half and GX's second half are the best in the series. I don't count the original Duel Monsters because the original manga's superior to that

Would have liked Roger more if it wasn't for the fact that we spend 50 episodes seeing him play chess and then he just uses more fucking Ancient Gears.

Eyyy, thanks user.

>the more typical moment to moment duel shit was handled fairly well

>Sister drops food onto ground
>Picks it up while saying "Five second rule."

>Mfw but you'll still take damage

DM manga > GX > don't care about the rest but probably 5D's

Why GX? What did you like about it?

I remember watching GX on 4kids and getting confused as to why it ended with Jaden dying. Fuck 4kids

I actually rewatched some of the 'better' duels in Arc-v recently, and they are far less appealing the second time through.
A lot of them are a case of a complete lack of variety in their duel styles: once you've seen Shun go through his rank up chain, it's pretty much all he does in every duel, and the same holds true for Reiji's synchro, fusion, xyz spam (Yuya strangely has the opposite problem, he has so many different random performpals his deck has next to no consistency at all and feels incohesive). Going back to the first time they did it isn't as impressive because you've been watching them do it for every duel they've had since.
Also, they were intense at the time because of how much they stood out from the humdrum duels that were the norm in the first half, but compared to the duels in 5ds, or even Zexal, they drop off quickly after the first viewing. They're far from bad, and still some of Arc-v's strongest moments, but they're still don't hold up to what we've seen in other series.

(I also think it's a problem of the characters also: it's a lot harder to care when we've seen that nothing that develops from those duels really sticks to the plot in any way.)

Your list is pretty good, but it's telling that almost every character jobs HARD in the second half. It feels like Gundam seed destiny where the shit second half undermines a lot of what made the first half interesting.

Do the subs actually mess up the plot, or is it just character names and card names and whatnot? I was considering buying it, but hearing about the botched subs has me reconsidering.

Masaaki Endo OPs were the best fucking thing.

Thank fuck they actually are fixing it. Pic unrelated.

>Do the subs actually mess up the plot, or is it just character names and card names and whatnot?
Yes, but the BD is supposed to have the Japanese version of the script as well. It does now, but the first batch didn't by mistake.

The dub changes some of the baseline of Kaiba's motivations and has it pick up from the anime canon. It's honestly a bit of a gag dub in places. The original is manga canon and actually explains shit.

GX had a certain charm to it.

What the fuck was up with that Darkside Dimension movie. Did they get rid of the rules again?

They explained Dimension Duel rules when it came up: it's not complicated. You can normal summon any monster without tributing regardless of level, and instead of battle damage, you take damage equal to the attack of your destroyed monster.

I just noticed the link about the flaw linked by that other user. I'm very relieved, as it's a release I do want to support, and I hate buying media I can't watch (in this case, buying the jp release and then downloading a proper subbed version).

Have another Kotori, I recently did a pixiv run, and have plenty to go around.

They did go back to summoning in face-up defense position for some reason.

Watching/reading guide when?

Face up? Or face down? What is the most patrician option?

Literally just google [series] watching guide.

Face-down Attack position, of course.

Sorry, forgot to add "recommended" to the beginning. As in, which parts should be avoided.

What was even the point of the errata for this card? It has literally never done anything and Links can't be Face-down anyway.

There's watch guides for every series but Arc-V. Arc-V has the unfortunate side effect where your options are between
>watch until Episode 53 and then make up fanfiction
>Watch most of the series and no matter what feel the decline in quality because even if you skip the worst parts it still goes downhill.

The duel monsters manga (plus the movie) is one of the best things to ever come out of Shonen Jump. The first anime was a pretty shit adaption, but it still created a worldwide phenomenon on the strength and creativity of the source material. GX was an unfocused mess, 5Ds was ruined by executive bullshit so hard it nearly killed yugioh in Japan, Zexal was an entirely adequate kids show, and Arc-V was somehow worse than 5Ds and GX.

How good are the gem beasts cards?

I'd say "watch until ep 55" would be more accurate. That first Riding Duel was pretty great and the way security tried to catch Yugo in spite of him winning the duel was good at setting it apart from 5Ds.

But yeah that's a pretty accurate assessment of things.

They aren't. Like, at all.

Even their pendulums are trash, honestly.

>Zexal was an entirely adequate kids show
>Kaito_on_the_moon.png
Why are japanese kids shows so good?

That's why they made Book Of Moon user.

I never got the point of cards that are strictly worse than other ones. I guess they work as Duel Links fodder in the present though.

Space ambulance makes it kid friendly.

Kaiser btfoing Judai was great imo.

It was funny, the characters were likable and Judai is my favorite protag. I liked the conclusion with Yubel.
Also Asuka best grill.
I can see why others might not like it and it does have numerous flaws but I still find it enjoyable.

GX was the best for me personally. It had an internal arc of Dueling slice of life to b-grade shounen plot, to shounen plot 2: more tropes, before subverting that in season 3 and coming out the other end in 4 with the message that you can grow up and still have fun.

Haven't finished 5ds, but I'm not quite into it since Yusei is not that fun a character to watch, nor does his VA give him much range. KENN as Judai was the perfect pick.

Four is such a retarded and funny character holy shit

I wonder when we will get the blade runner of card games.

What does that even mean?

DM because of he Yugi-Atem dinamic and some arc are really fun. Vrains has potential. 2 autis helping each other to heal sounds really COMFY.

My Favorite part of yugioh is the first part of GX. When the duels meant nothing, and they were having duel tests and Crowler was threatening to through people out of school. I enjoyed no drama yugioh.

I want a series with no holograms or overly dramatic shit that's just about people playing the card game. Then they get to really high level play and become disillusioned because of how shitty and unfun playing within the meta is.

>5-episode OVA about how the game is dying.
But seriously what you're looking for is Episode 9 of Akiba's Trip.

A yugioh show with the setting and some of the themes of bladerunner I assume.