What is it with all the half-western/half-american love interests in anime?

It's really weird. Sakurasou, Nisekoi, Steins Gate, etc.

Foreigners are like a shiny pokemon to Japanese manga writers. Having a foreign love interest is more interesting to some of their readers than if it were a childhood friend or some shit, that is why Nisekoi is the way it is.

The blond haired foreigner cliche has exploded in popularity in the last couple of years, to the point where people are only writing characters into that cliche to jump on the band wagon, and not for any other reason.

TL;DR they are a meme that sells to lonely otaku

It's not weird. They're different from the norm and mysterious which is attractive.

It's so they can pretend they're cucking hoaito piggus and remaining faithful to the superior nipponese race simultaneously.

I thought all anime characters looked white?

Gathering popular fantasies and fetishes of people. As usual.

they're just being tsundere for the west, they could open the doors wide open for immigration and weeaboos would have solved their negative population in a couple years.

Weeaboos don't breed.

nips have had a blonde fetish forever

Exoticism. Same root as yellow fever.

Same reason why yellow fever exists.
It's not weird, it's just how it is. Thinking about other people is human curiosity working at it's best.

Not by choice

They find Euros exotic. It's like Sup Forums being attracted to anime girls.

Every time this happens I try to think of a single example of the opposite where it's a western man with a Japanese woman.

watch jojo

Not western but in G Gundam Rain's old boyfriend was a Turk.

Oh right, I forgot about Josuke since he's british on his father's side.

It's "yellow fever" but with white chicks instead.

Basically they get the icky white chicks that are still Japanese enough they can absorb Japanese culture and they don't need to learn a western language.

It's getting the prize without trying.

>anime
>Western

Pick one

Back to kindergarten

Anime is produced by the most liberal of Japanese, and they use it as propaganda to push for anti-nationalism and multiculturalism.
Japan is just so staunchly nationalistic, that we can't see their more liberal stuff as liberal.

>I love pulling shit out of my ass
Quoting you.

Then explain why Eriri is less popular than both Megumi and Utaha.

Code Geass

>half-western/half-american
Americans are not Western?

they're barely white anymore

Koe no kotachi

that's blacked not bleached tho

Japan is a very "ethnically aware" country. To them, being Japanese isn't just something you have on your passport, it's ethnicity as well to a large extent. An American that moves to Japan and gets a Japanese passport is Japanese on paper only, and will always be seen as foreign. He's effectively an eternal tourist. Hell, even second and third generation *Koreans* are treated as outsiders (I think Japanese has a special word for it, but I've forgotten).

My theory is that by making a foreign character only half-foreign, the author tries to strike a balance: the character is foreign enough to be exotic, but indiginous enough to be functionally Japanese.

Let me know when American anime becomes more acceptable. Until then, there's nothing Western in anime what-so-ever.

These things are not related.