Death Note

youtube.com/watch?v=gvxNaSIB_WI

L is black, thoughts

you have 10 seconds to name the smartest black guy in history

I wonder how much the trailer is intentionally misleading. The cuts seem odd, I can believe the audio and visuals aren't from the same point in the film a lot of the time.

But L's quirks are there, that's good, sweets scattered around and weird sitting.

Well, it's official now

Why is L so angry :(

>REEEEEEEEEEEEEEE NOT JAPANESE!!!!!!!!!

George Washington Carver, the man who invented peanut butter. Because what better product to smear all over my body and have my dog lick off?

Why did they cast Light as a school shooter/narc?

I thought the irony was the one thing he didn't invent was peanut butter?

Black Kramer was the best character in Atlanta

>3DPD

Because if he was an american student, that's exactly who he would be.

Is this what they mean by cultural appropriation?

>not a smart charismatic chad

Not anime.

Don't delude yourself, we know Light is a beta.

Shout out to Africa one time

No, in America Light would be in a comfy path to harvard.
The whole concept of Death Note doesnt fit the american philosphy thats much more optimistic than the japanese mentality.

>being this new

Black L is the least of my worries. What the fuck was up with that ferris wheel.

He patented it. Peanut Butter is Mayan/Aztec/ some Spanish fuck toy.

better the actor from Get Out than an effeminate Japanese twink like he was in the anime

>gather nuts
>smash em in a mortar
>"I invented a thing"
yeah okay

I love Sup Forums tier thread on Sup Forums its epic ftw If I do say so myself.

that's what carver claimed to have invented, yes

I thought we already knew this.

>we live in an era where characters are now getting blackwashed
What a time to be alive.

>willem dafoe ryuk
the only redeeming part of this

The point is that this is very much an American adaptation of the story, not a direct adaptation.

If you want Japanese people re-enacting the story the same way just watch the japanese film.
This is trying to tell the same story in an American school setting.

Light isn't some perfect, smart pretty-boy because that doesn't really fit the archetype for what he ended up doing in America the same way it does in Japan.
L being black also does the same thing. Rather than looking like some kind of shut in white guy, which most people would be able to find the name of very easily in modern America's social media focused culture, they made him into some black guy who probably got roped up into his role at a young age cause no one gives a shit about black kids.

I'm kinda neutral on the Light decision, but I love the idea of nigger L.
Hell, even if he figures out what his name is, it'll take him more time to figure out how to spell it probably.

Does he look like a detective to you?

L is black is the least of it's problems to be honest. It's barely one in the first place.

Why is Light a bottom feeder loser? Who's that lady character? Why does it feel like she's the one who drives Light? Why is he still called Kira? They're in the US. And above all else, why the fuck would Light ever say "We're not the good guys anymore"?

This. Also I hate that Light isn't a prim and proper white cis Harvard student. Wated opportunity here.

It's Dragonball Evolution all over again.

My thoughts is it was going to be shit regardless of who they cast. The only thing that might have saved it is if they had a completely audacious cast (Gilbert Gottfried as Light, etc) and it was just an entertaining trainwreck.

No, neither OG L did

He looks like those dudes in black that attack republican events

Because Light is not a villain protagonist anymore. He's a kid who means well and is really just misunderstood.
Fuck this shit. Why don't people rage about this instead of whining about blackwashing.

Orginal L didn't look like one either to be fair. But this L looks more like a terrorist or a rioter from this image.

I love how everyone on the comments is defending this because L is black but bashed ghost in the shell for a similar reason.

>L is antifa
>Sup Forums finds his identity in a day

>Hell, even if he figures out what his name is, it'll take him more time to figure out how to spell it probably.
mfw

welp, I think my subscription to Netflix is done for. Time to check Hulu.

ALLAHU SNACKBAR

The whole plot of DN revolves around Light being too smart to be caught, keikakus and being so attractive it causes issues when women give him too much attention.

Some other notes:
Bullies, in america if someone bullied you that much theres a good chance they go to prison and pay huge medical bills and ruin their academic career.
Light trying to save a girl? In the manga he actively tried to get rid of the girl and wished she died.
Everything to do with L was retarded, why is he wearing a mask now walking in public and giving speeches? What the absolute fuck?

is this kino???

What if black L is a decoy for the real L?

Where the fuck is Watari? Why is there this broad daylight bullshit? Couldn't someone just decide to snipe him and be done with it?

I guess they didn't wanted to do the screen with the "L", but yeah, they are butchering the logic of the characters

They Americanized Death Note. There scenes from Seattle, Light and Misa (in the movie it is apparently Mia Sutton) are American and not Japanese. Death Note just got sold out to Hollywood which is more concerned about how the movie is accepted, and not actually staying true to the story. Point is it is Light Yagami not Light Turner. It is Misa Amane not Mia Sutton. Anyone who try to correct the way I say there names are wrong, and needs to fucking take a lesson in appreciating another person culture. I am so sick and tired of this bullshit. Hollywood needs to stop, and I bet almost none of this film is filmed in Japan. Where this story is based. Wanna hear a joke? Americanized Death Note. that's a joke I tell you.

WE WUZ DETECTIVEZ N SHIETTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT

Why the fuck murrican writes killer as "KIRA"

are all americunts fucking weebs?

first ghost in the shell, now this

eh, i'm willing to give it a chance since i'd like to see more stories about people getting death notes, but they should have done more to set it apart from the original story if they weren't directly adapting it

like how the main series story was different from the oneshot, just do your own thing with the general premise and rules

AYOOOOOOO HOL UP u be sayin this cracka kira be doin sum racist shit killin mah homies in prisonz and shiet s m h this whiteboi aint know he dealing with KINGZ we gonna cap yo ass

This doesn't need to be one to one compared to the anime/manga in order for it to be great.
However, and it can't be stressed enough, people don't like this transparent pandering bullshit. You want to make your money back I get it but, you don't need to aim for the lowest common denominator in order to put asses in the chairs. Death Note is a great story because it has an awesome premise and borrows just enough from other establish genres to make the progression of the plot and the character archetypes interesting without being cliches. However this gentrification of the characters not racially but, narratively kills any hope of attracting people who think they'll see something captivating. Instead all that happens is people see through the twist, turns, and character arcs because you've made it fit into the cookie cutter. So the only people who watch this that were not apart of the original audience many of whom you alienated by the way; are those who think the premise is cool and that's it. No big celebration, no one posting about how much they love it, just a fucking turd that garners a little attraction at first before the smell tells people to stay away.

and black.... sorry i meant nigger

Im gonna get dis whtie boi and bring his ass to the dem hood, We gona show him black justice nigga.

Well since america making americanized live action movies of popular 2000's anime, when is my K-on, movie?

Fuck off summer kid.

no the writers are just retarded. the writers changed stuff like yagami for being too japanese yet kept kira and ryuk

ben carson

>light isn't some perfect, smart pretty-boy because that doesn't really fit the archetype for what he ended up doing in America the same way it does in Japan
What the fuck, not all bishonen are actually evil, and archetypes exist not just to be used, but also to be subverted and challenged. They could do it if they wanted to, turn Light into Disney Channel Zack Effron or early Justin Bieber. They just didn't want to.

What pisses me off the most is that he seems to have an actual gf. One he actually cares and isnt just using.

If they turn kira into some whinny emo anti hero instead of a magnificent bastard, evil protagonist he orginally is ,. then they really fucked up this adaptation.

I actually agree with you, user. Like said Light should have been portrayed as the top student in this class, acing every exam and probably already attending Harvard as a freshman. Should also have been portrayed as a perfectionist who can't handle failure. That way, it makes his inevitable slide into insanity more believable. I don't know, maybe they'll go this route. But from what we've seen, this Light doesn't exactly seem Harvard material. In my opinion, they could've made him a bit more prim and proper. I don't know, like a Harvard student would be I guess.

NIGGER NIGGER NIGGER

>the book with "shinigami and apple" illustrations
CRINGE

why does hollywood hate asians?

The characters are so out of it I dont understand why did they want to adapt it in the first place?
Like how do you justify changing EVERYTHING in the adaptation and still calling it death note?

What I don't get is why they didn't cast L as Japanese or at very least a mixed race Asian American. That way they'd be pretty immune to most whitewashing accusations. Instead they cast a black guy because reasons.

>"reasons"

not sure L was japanese even in the original manga

>people in the comments calling people making criticisms weebs

Was Death Note ever good?

because blackwashing

Well he sure wasn't black.

Yaeh. If they make Light an anti-hero then they're missing the entire point of Death Note. The manga/anime/Jap live action never once portrayed Light as being right. He's a murderer. And despite his fans who root for him, myself included, he is still a murderer who was simply brought to justice at the end. I don't want them to turn Light into anti-hero or god forbid, a hero. Neither should L be. L should still be a morally grey guy who isn't exactly above using low blows to get to Kira. Race jokes aside, I just want them to do a good job of it.

He wasn't, he was British.

Everybody is this thread needs to fuck off back to Sup Forums or Sup Forums or wherever the fuck they came from.

Maybe they didnt have the choice to be very picky seeing that its a shitty anime adaptation.

He was likethe only white character

oh he was british, guess thats why hes black then

I think the race casting in this movie was brilliant

People angry angry about "L" being blackwashed would have to acknowledge the rest of the cast being White washed

People angry about the White washing of the cast would have to acknowledge that "L" is supposed to be a white male anyway

People who wanted a majority asian cast to go 1:1 with the anime can be told to fuck off and just watch the original live action movie.

This shit was some 4D casting. No one has any solid ground to complain about race choices

Hope it flops like Pork in the Shell did.

And since when are brits niggers?

I don't know. I guess they're just not 'good' actors if you get what I mean. I feel like white and black actors are what Hollywood wants in a hero or villain. Asians usually get cast as side characters only. But it's ok, I'm Asian myself but I don't really care. I just want them to make something good.

I wish the fucking west would leave anime alone.

OP here again, he reminds me of Watch_Dogs
2 more than a detective

It's like we're in bizarre world where racism by brown people against white people has become normalized and accepted. Give it another hundred years and we'll be locked up in chains like the blacks of back in the day.

Ever since the gave full British citizenship to colonized Africans for their services in the African campaigns during the World Wars.

>if you want good chinese food just go to china, you should just accept shitty food because its not made in china

L isn't even japanese. He was barely a fourth asian. What matters is for Light to be part of the racial majority of the country the story takes place in while L isn't.
Whoever's in charge probably intended to play up the contrast between the protagonist (white and a loser) and the antagonist (black and an authority in his job).

Remember the days when Sup Forums would just dismiss this whole adaptation as 3DPD, instead of this moronic racism shit?

No, of course you don't.

>People using weeb incorrectly
This triggers my autism. Why do people use words they don't understand the meaning of?

you're right let's 'improve' it to the usual Sup Forums standards

OMG MISA A CUUUUUTTE

MAI WAIFU

>we're not the good guy anymore

Did they watch one episode of this show or read the manga?

Fuck off back to Sup Forums.

JUST

>Give it another hundred years and we'll be locked up in chains like the blacks of back in the day.

damn dude stop i can only get so erect

are you sure

>Wanting it to be full of little nigress girls making a rap group.
It's like you don't learn your lesson about shekelwood.