Death Note Netflix Movie

NETFLIX LEAVE MY ANIME ALONE

Trailer youtube.com/watch?v=0SiyGOyAlW4

Nobody gives a shit about it, OP

but i do

Ah yes this brings be back. The moment where Light fought so hard to save this girl from falling from the London Eye, or when he stood up for a couple of randies in the street because he was no sociopath, but rather a caring soul. They might as well say that he was the one that made 9/11 happen. Shit movie

WE

Looks about as bad as expected. Waste of Willem Dafoe.

This shit is gonna bomb hard

This will be worst than the live action

try harder Sup Forums

WAZ

Ls

KANGS

Fuck off.

dat filename

N

>Has to read the words out loud and follow them with his finger while reading to understand them
Just as smart as in the anime

kek

Did you know that L is black now?

He's american. What do you expect?

The 14 year old version of me who had a crush on L doesn't know what to make of this.

Try furiously masturbating

How can I when they replaced the only cute character?

Then why are you talking about L and not Ryuk?

Both L and Light are going to be butchered beyond recognition. From what I can see in the trailer, they're both doing this for what they perceive as justice, when neither of them cared about that in the slightest.

Well Light thought he did, at least on the surface. In reality he was doing it out of narcissism, but he saw himself as a just God striking down the evil in the world, so he was at least telling himself that it was because of "justice". L mostly did it out of boredom and as a career though, that is true. I'd say he disapproved of Light's actions, but he definitely wasn't very emotionally effected by it as he seems in the trailer. The thing that pisses me off really is that it seems like Light is supposed to be a somewhat moral person. There's this scene where he saves Misa and where he's saying "we're not doing the right thing anymore", and neither of those fit at all. I'm holding out hope that both these times he's just trying to manipulate her, but it doesn't look good. It seems more like they're setting him up as some Hollywood hero who's going to have some moral dilemma about his actions, which would really piss me off.

t. tumblr

they had to make L and fucking black guy didnt they? It looked decent enough until i saw L and his acting.

Also the story went to shit after the guy died

>so he was at least telling himself that it was because of "justice"
I disagree. That was mostly just lip service for his narcissism. He was completely aware what he was doing was for himself. He even has this gigantic monologue about how he's going to remake the world in his image, and he'll be the god of that new world. He doesn't subscribe to some higher ideal of justice. He considers himself the essence of perfection, therefore his moral compass is, by definition, justice. Light was completely aware of this.
But what you said about the rest is absolutely right. And they're probably going to remove all of the high-level autism-tier mind games between Kira and L, which is what made Death Note so popular in the first place.

They have to "make it right" for the american public, aka remove what made death note good. Now were going to see another flop and hopefully its the last one as well.

Well, Light's actor tried some evil smiles, so I hope at least it will be a proper descetion from moral guy to full of himself and evil.

>He considers himself the essence of perfection, therefore his moral compass is, by definition, justice
Yeah of course, that's what I was saying. He's not subscribing to a higher ideal of justice, but in a way he is doing it partially out of justice. He sees the world as unjust by his perspective, and decides to deal out his brand of justice to everyone. He never saw himself as some evil God who didn't give a shit about the world, he saw himself as a wonderful God who would punish the wicked (by his own definition). For instance he does have problems with killing totally innocent people at first even if they are trying to catch him, at least until he figures that anyone who dares oppose him is morally wrong and thus deserves death. He's not fighting for a higher ideal of justice, but he is fighting for his own type of justice.

Why do Americans like the live-action version of anime?

>but he is fighting for his own type of justice.
Yeah, I can agree with all this.

Except the actor also looked like a fucking loser. Light was always in 100% control of himself, up until the moment of his defeat, because he was a supergenius and saw himself at the epitome of perfection. This Light comes off more like a confused kid who got bullied too much.

I don't know any American anime watchers who thought the Dragon Ball Z adaptation was good in any measure.

Wrong board: Sup Forums - Anime & Manga

Its just moneywood trying to get more shekels from popular series. and butchering it in the process

>This Light comes off more like a confused kid who got bullied too much.
That's my main problem. American adaptations have an endless circle:
>Oh shit, we made everything the same!
>We need to find something different to adapt!
>This looks exotic and original enough!
>We just need to americanize it to make it more digestable. You can't have a psychopath as a protag! Let's make him bullied loser No. 2605!
>Oh shit, we made everything the same!

why do japs like live action version of anime? theres a fucking live action Hyouka coming out

The director have already said the movie is going to skew from the source material anyway.

It's an adaptation. It's gonna be different. Who cares.

There's two entire bad live-action Death Note movies with Nip actors if you want the manga-but-with-live-people.

Skewing from source material is fine and expected of adaptations. Rewriting it and calling it the same thing is not.

I don't have the excerpt but there is literally a line in the books that specifies Hermione as being pale. Fucking hack of a woman.

>very clever
>white skin not specified
So she means Hermione was asian?

>nigger L

On top of that the acting sounds cringeworthy. I'll pass.

Maybe she's pale brown.

>We don't want anything from the original, only it's name, so we can sell it to fans and normalfags at the same time.
I mean, I understand that's how you can extract the most money out of it, but it still hurts.

Knowing Americans, they're probably made it a black vs white social justice thing.

Rowling didn't say Hermione is black, if she was, she wouldn't be white on the covers and in the movies. She just says making her black doesn't really go against canon. Since it wasn't specified, any skin color is technically headcanon.

There is a difference , the japanese live actions are usually faithfully adapted. Its just that they have shit actors.

10-something years later and the jokes about Hollywood turning L into a black guy played by Samuel L. Jackson became real.

>read that as "leave netflix to me"
I've been here too long

>First I will kill serial killers, then murderes, drog dealers, then thieves and liars, later maybe even the lazy! And then, there won't be any blacks left!
Final confrontation will be Kira in KKK outfit and L in BLM shirt.

thats racist!

Why don't they just buy the scripts and shoot the movie with American actors? Switch the names and places of course.

A shinigami named Ryuk drops a death note into the human world out of boredom to see what happens and a kid who is a little too smart for his own good finds it, and the story is his descent into madness and evil starting from an urge to fix the world and his cat and mouse game with an eccentric detective who goes by the name "L".

That whole structure is there. It's Death Note. I think it's stupid they even kept the "kira" name. If you're gonna adapt it where the story takes place in America then you need to basically go all-in on matching the cultural norms of America.

Light Yagami being a perfect honor student whose dad is a high-ranking cop doesn't command the same kind of respect in the US as it does in Japan. The anime/manga makes more sense to us because we kinda innately get Japanese culture at least a bit more than your average person does. The idea is that Light really is the villain- you're gonna have to change him from this dude with insanely rigid standards (until his slow breakdown towards the end) for an American audience that may not watch any anime because we have way different standards on the death penalty.

Light to a Japanese early-2000s era audience is unequivocally a monster from the outset. That may not be the case THERE now, much less here. It'd just end up like Breaking Bad where there's a lot of people who think WALTER DID NOTHING WRONG despite the whole fucking arc of the series is him destroying his entire world and countless people just so he could feel "alive" and powerful.

NINJAS

No matter how bad Light is in this, it can't be worse than idolfag Light from the J-drama.

>Light Yagami being a perfect honor student whose dad is a high-ranking cop doesn't command the same kind of respect in the US as it does in Japan.

I think you'd still be respected in america if you get the best grades in school, with a cop dad, a psychopath's charm and the looks of a supermodel in America.
Besides, there's a big gap between an ubermensch and a total fucking loser like this new guy,

They'll obviously push some evil whitey propaganda. This shit's selling these days.

They should've made Light kill "offensive" people instead of criminals.

stop shilling your shitty films here faggot

That's a given. This is Netflix we're talking about.

It helps that Whites actually are evil.
Just look at what makes up this board if you want proof

>a total fucking loser
This. It's almost a complete 180 with them turning him into an unattractive, underachieving anybody.
Thats all thats missing at this point to really Americanize it.

We don't even really know anything about him other than that he has really dumb hair and seems to be together with "Misa" from the outset. Also the thing where he gets clocked fighting the bully makes more sense from a US perspective since the whole thing Yagami does where he never openly rocks the boat and just follows his neatly planned-out future would make him appear more of a recluse in the US where in Japan he's absolutely a fuckin Chad.

Also Misa pretty much HAS to be changed. Idol culture doesn't exist here and honestly Misa was really insanely fucking annoying and stupid in the manga.

None of what you said was Death Note's "point". As I said before, the reason why Death Note became popular in the first place was the high-level autism-tier mind games between 2 supergeniuses, neither of which cared much for conventional values. This movie makes the conflict between 2 normalfags who want to do the "right thing" and judging from the trailer, there's going to be more action than mind games.

>we're not the good guys anymore

Literally something Light would never say.

>Idol culture doesn't exist here

I know I've been out of the loop but are Disney tweens and teens no longer a thing?

>Leave animekino to me

That would actually be a relevant and intresting western adaptation. Light, the SJW first kills those who kill blacks, then kill cops who accidentally shoot blacks, then kills even those who make sexist jokes. Then, his enemy being a black dude would be intresting. Then Light is forced to kill blacks and women to reach his goals would be one of the moral dilemmas.

Don't think so

it looks like the'yll be pushing the relationship bit with Misa, whereas in the series/manga she wasnt anything more than a tool for him to get the upper hand on L

Not particularly no. If they had done this adaptation like 10 years ago having the US Misa be NotHannahMontana would've worked but now notsomuch.

People staring intently at eachother doesn't make for an exciting trailer to US audiences. We'll see if they really fucked it all up.

>People staring intently at eachother doesn't make for an exciting trailer to US audiences.
Depends on the direction. The anime managed to make Light eating potato chips and asking a lady for her driver's license very intense scenes, much more so than the "person falls from a high place and other person barely catches them with one arm" cliche that's done in every Hollywood movie nowadays for cheap tension.

Can somebody explain what that bit with the Ferris wheel is? Can the Death Note kill carnival rides now?

Light is played by a jewish man though.

Those scenes were really great in the manga/anime but would need some really, really excellent performances and direction to have a similar impact with live actors.

Hollywood can't make a movie without high impact action violence.

Right, I'm just pointing out it's possible. Considering how (in)famous the potato chip scene is, if they had any sincerity in adapting Death Note, they would definitely attempt to reproduce that scene. Instead they'll probably just rewrite the whole thing with Hollywood cliches, get some cheap weeaboobux, and call it a day.

Celebrity culture is a thing, but it's far from the norm for teen celebs to also be popular with adults as idols are in japan.

I guess she can be NotTaylorSwift, then.

>jews are white

If you think Netflix adaptation of DN is the worst thing that could happen with franchise, you know nothing. Just google leaked Hollywood's Death Note script from 2009.
>Light renamed to Luke
>his mother was killed by some bad guy so now he tries to find the murderer
>no Ryuk whatsoever, Light just finds the Death Note
>at first he starts to kill criminals and people chasing him just like in original
>but then he suddenly realizes that Death Note is actually starting to posses him and forces him to kill people
>later he hides DN and wipes his memories about it
>L lets him go because Light is good guy and didndu nuffin

The problem with the chip scene is that this is pre-smartphone era shit where he buys/sacrifices the portable TV and kills people under surveillance. Even if L has magic NSA internet surveillance at his fingertips in the new one I dunno how you make it work in a world where you almost can't help but inundated with info about what's going on everywhere at all times.

I'll definitely think it's a failing if they don't recreate the "duel" between Naomi Misora and Light though; that whole thing is one of the most tense moments in the series.

Up next:
Evangelion where Rei is black because that's the true mother of mankind and Asuka is Muslim

But then Asuka would be forbidden from driving her eva.

Why is L making is so clear that he's black? You'd think that he'd want too make a secret; you know; it would make it easier too identify him.

Also, why does he cover his mouth but not even bother too wear sunglasses? Whats the point of covering up your mouth?

Also,why is Light called Kira. Kira was just the result of Japs being unable too pronounce the letter L when trying to pronounce Killer.

is Trump going to be president in the live action?

Wait, wasn't there a proper movie and the netflix one a series? Or it's only the netflix one and it's a movie?

He will be the first victim, for his crimes against humanity.

The use of "Kira" bugs me. Like yeah it's sort of "iconic" to the series but it'd be just as dumb as an American adaptation of "Akira" still being called "Akira".

Akira is a common name; it's supposed to be creepy and weird in Japanese because of that. It loses that contextual meaning as a title/theme if you just use the same fucking name because people recognize it.

>use a franchise to boost viewership
>fuck up half the things that made the franchise good
>bitch that everyone is racist/whatever for not liking it

Don't they always put an actor to be the president in these movies?

>Trump doesnt die because his last name is really Drumpf

Japan did live action movies that were decent enough

>The problem with the chip scene is that this is pre-smartphone era shit where he buys/sacrifices the portable TV
Right, but that's not the "point" of that scene. That scene went viral because it had 100% serious and legitimate tension for a teenager eating potato chips while studying while his best friend is twerking in the background. You can replace all the other circumstances, but keep the core "very tense scene as Light eats potato chips".
I think Naomi is great too, but this movie is probably going to ignore her part completely.

Yeah, this is something they should have changed. I think "Killer" would be the best replacement. But for some reason they decided every single name was set in stone while changing pretty much every other aspect of Death Note. It's weird.

L being black in this one speaks to diversity pandering IMO but the thing really makes L as a character is him being such a fucking weirdo.

We might even get an orange actor to match.

Yes because Light being a white is not pandering. Fuck off.

>black guy playing a genius
How is that gonna work?