FMP IV

>Background art looks worse
>Some shots look really close to the KyoAni art style others don't and look more 'modern'/flat.
>Arm Slaves look the best they've ever been. Just insane amount of detail.
>Coloring is closer to Argevollen. Kurtz hair is almost a neon yellowish.
>The character art level generally looks between Gonzo and KyoAni level. Some shots such as Tessa and Mardukas on the sub looked great.
>We didn't see any 'sakuga' moments (something with a lot of motion in it), so I can't say anything about the actual character animation.
>Backgrounds were kind of disappointing as there was a lot of CGI in them. There was a shot of a hangar siren going off and a city explosion.
>Colorwise it's more colorful than I expected. It's definitely along the lines of Keijo and Argevollen.
>You can tell Xebec is dumping all their resources onto the mechanical side. The decision to animate Arbalest's eyes make a huge difference.
>Pure hypothesis but they might still be working on the backgrounds and they're just not done.
>They had a shot of the TDD moving forward towards the camera and it onviously looked better than the Gonzo/KyoAni version but still CGI.
>Photography-wise I'm not sure Takashi Aoki is director of photography. It didn't really look like him. We didn't see any UI stuff either.
>There are worrying points such as lighting and background art.
>I will say this,the characters look near identical to the KyoAni designs although updated a bit.I initially thought they played old footage.
>Gatoh also promised no expositionary episodes and that the new series will be "full throttle from the beginning".

Other urls found in this thread:

twitter.com/AlphaJarmel/status/881232548784873472
twitter.com/AlphaJarmel/status/881284706330828800
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Oh shit, I forgot about this. How long ago did they first announce it, again?

Even if it's shit i will still watch it.

Are the mechs CGI?

>2017
>Mecha not CGI
Hand drawn mecha animation is dead unless you are sunrise.

Generally sounds pretty good.

>Gatoh also promised no expositionary episodes and that the new series will be "full throttle from the beginning".
Not sure about this. Then again sigma doesn't have much that warrants "expositionary episodes". But if they're finishing all of sigma in 2-cours then it's going to be rushed regardless.

Q/A section with Funimation staff:

Reaction to finding out making more-
Gatoh: Been about 12 years now so I was a little worried but we'll find a way to make it work
Shikidouji:I was worried that people had forgotten the series.

What was some of your initial inspiration for the series?-
Gatoh: It's been twenty years, I forgot. Someone proposed to me that I do something related to school. Something like that

What brought you to this property?-
Shikidouji: I had a relationship with Fujimi already.

Kaname and Sousuke are very different people how did you make them mesh( paraphrase)?-

Gatoh: There is a Japanese comedy style called manzai(spelling?), in which characters play off each other. Romantic tension took a back seat and wanted to focus on comedy.
Shikidouji: In the original version, Kaname had black hair but she changed it because she thought it wouldn't work that well for comedy. She was worried Gatoh wouldn't approve but he signed off.
Gatoh: I changed the scripts after I saw her drawings. It was pretty easy.

Any stories about making the original novels?-

Gatoh: Shikidouji added Sousuke's scar of her own volition. In the novel, I never addressed his scar until the very last episode(probably means novel). I finally decided to address it. Thought fans would have more issues with it but they accepted it.
Shiki: I added it because I felt it needed it.

Gatoh: Originally when I described Kaname in the novel she had a ponytail.
Shikidouji: Initially she had a ponytail but when it was serialized, another protagonist in the magazine had black hair and a ponytail. So I took the ribbon in her ponytail and moved it down.

About Invisible Victory-
Gatoh: No more expository episodes. Full throttle. It'll follow the original work pretty closely.

Invisible Victory PV 1-

Initially I thought they were showing old footage as the designs looked so close to the original but I realized the difference after a bit. Horuichi kept the designs very much in line with the original although they are tweaked a bit.

There was a lot of CGI in the backgrounds. There are three scenes that stand out to me, a hanger siren going off, a shot of a building exploding, and characters talking in a classroom at Jindai (I think it was Ono D and the teacher possibly along with Kyouko). The backgrounds in all three of these looked bad or rather not good. The building lacked a bunch of detail along with being CGI and the siren obviously looked CGI. The background at the school was really plain. It definitely doesn't look to be up to KyoAni's current standards background art-wise as seen in Euphonium or say Hyouka. I would have to rewatch Fumoffu and TSR to see how those look as the background art might be the same level there as KyoAni hadn't developed into the beast it is today. There was a shot of Tessa in a grassy area, from the prologue of Continuing on My Own, which looked nice from a background aspect.

The character art is a mixed bag as there were a few shots of Tessa on the Tuatha de Dannan with Mardukas standing next to her that looked great. Tessa in general looked the same as the KyoAni version and so did Mardukas. The lighting in that scene was solid as it had the emergency/combat lines on. The designs don't look worse but the lighting makes the show look more modern and at times a bit flat. I recently rewatched the ending fight in TSR and the character lighting in that was fantastic. The school scenes don't have a visual oomph to them and so it looks sort of inbetween the Gonzo and KyoAni version. The Tuatha and Tessa prologue scene look much better. There was a shot of Kurama, the new villain, that was a semi closeup where the lighting was somewhat flat.

I wasn't particularly wow'd until I saw the Arbalest. Oh boy. Even the teaser image doesn't do it justice. I would have to rewatch the scene but it looked like it had more detail than even that key visual. Seeing the Arbalest's eyes make a huge difference that can't be understated. Detail and visual-wise, this is easily the best the Arbalest has ever looked. Flat out blew me back. Just looks insane. I need to see it moving around though to see if Nishii's 2D/CGi approach is distracting in motion. It reminds me of Nishii's 'Hyper Detail' work that he did for the Yamato 2199 artbooks. Xebec is clearly prioritizing the mechs. There was also a shot of the TDD underwater moving towards the camera and it looks better than the KyoAni/Gonzo versions but that's to be expected. Doesn't look embarassing anymore.

Color design-wise it's a mix of Argevollen and Keijo. Kurtz's hair has a similar shade to Mio's from Keijo. It's much more colorful than I anticipated. Photography-wise it doesn't look like Aoki or of his caliber. That said this was a bunch of stuff they likely threw together at the last minute so photography-wise it might look a lot more polished later. We didn't see any UI shots either. I'm wondering that it might be Morooka who is Directory of Photography though instead of Aoki which would be a shame.

PV 2- (not really)

They showed a bunch of settei of different mechs, characters, and backgrounds.

They showed the settei for Kurama and Fowler(another villain). Kurama's design isn't particularly interesting although he's clearly based off of Leon in The Professional. Fowler was shown in his pilot suit and looks much cooler. A few girls were gasping haha. Fowler looks like a younger version of Gauron.

The backgrounds here in the settei looked a lot better than what was shown in the earlier PV. There was a shot of an Arm slave next to a Japanese Shinto style temple. One of a warzone next to a blown out church (not 100% sure it was a church) overlooking a boxed in courtyard. Then there was one of a busy market in south east Asia where a dilapated Arm Slave (I think it was a Savage) was literally built into the marketplace. I really liked that shot as it gives a sense of history to the world in the way the dead Kaiju in Pacific Rim were used. All of these were just settei though so not sure how it will look in finished product.

They showed a number of mechs such as the Belial and Cyclone along with a few others. The Cyclone is Sousuke's machine after the Arbalest gets wrecked and looks like a heavily modified Savage with a white and yellow color scheme. The Belial looks cool as expected but there wasn't a lot of poses for it shown. A bunch of other mechs were shown. I personally didn't like the colors shown for those mechs as I thought they were a bit too bright/colorful and sorta reminded me of the colors of the mechs in Akito. That's a really subjective thing though and they'll probably look different in the acttal show than on a white piece of paper.

Also of note were the dates shown on the settei as they indicate the timeframe of the production. A couple of background settei were from mid to late last year and I think the Belial settei was from April.

My overall impression is that the mechs look really damn good but the character art needs another pass at to look great with more emphasis on shadowing. It should be noted though that they didn't show any of the scenes related to the attack on Jindai as they're probably trying to save those for spoiler reasons. So we were shown the 'boring' stuff story-wise. They didn't really show any scene with a lot of motion so I can't speak for the actual animation quality. I am concerned about the backgrounds as there was too much CGI shown but the stuff shown in those settei looked really good so hopefully the push back to Spring 2018 allows them to go all in on that.

The non-military scenes look between Gonzo and KyoAni tier while the military shots were noticeably better and were definitely closer to TSR level. There was a quick shot of Sousuke in Arbalest that I literally thought was from TSR. That external Arbalest shot though is beyond even TSR.

I'm wondering if the foreign locales will look better than their Japanese counterparts. That was the case with Fafner Exodus and Yamato 2199 (in a way).

Based Xebec.

>Then there was one of a busy market in south east Asia where a dilapated Arm Slave (I think it was a Savage) was literally built into the marketplace.
It's Namsak. Nami. ;_;

Funny when one of the flops a couple sessions ago wasn't.

>Then there was one of a busy market in south east Asia where a dilapated Arm Slave (I think it was a Savage) was literally built into the marketplace.

So BOMF is in. I'll drop the show after that arc since the rest of FMP is shit.

Literally can't wait for this, FMP is my first anime and I'm very attached to it.

>mascot with testicle mouth.

When is it airing? I have the originals on my backlog and would like to finish them before this starts.

spring 2018

How was it?

6/10.

That means nothing. Explain with words.

>tfw the animation won't be this good or in 2D

we need to see it, pics or the pv

October last year I think

KYoani BTFO

It was October 2015. Trust me, I'd never forget it.

Kind of went nowhere.
The animation was nice and it was kinda heartwarming at moments, slightly interesting in some others.
It's not really so bad you'd have to force yourself to watch it for the animation alone but it's sadly rather mediocre as far as the story goes.
Still think it's worth a shot if you don't have too much to watch on your hands already.

BTW, I'm not the user you asked.

Thanks. I haven't heard much about it since it aired so I wanted to know what people thought of it.

Damn, and we still have to wait another year

You mean May 2012

why live

Where are screeshotss?

Where did you get that from? Was there a pre-screening?

>The Cyclone is Sousuke's machine after the Arbalest gets wrecked and looks like a heavily modified Savage with a white and yellow color scheme.
Don't you mean Crossbow?

Does Tessa feature heavily?

So I guess DVMC really is getting skipped in animated form, then?

Oh god no.

Exactly!

Afraid not.

This is the important question.

Even if this flops at least we got Heavy Object which was pretty great.

They wouldn't have done it as a drama cd otherwise. To be fair, if this really is just two-cour, then DVMC absolutely had to go as it's the only novel you can pretty much skip entirely.

Ah fuck this shit I want Fafner Beyond.

I hope they make it into an OVA at least

Better buy some BDs.

>looked better
>CGI
You lost me

What part don't you understand?

Modern CGI is mostly great.

PV
twitter.com/AlphaJarmel/status/881232548784873472

Damn the character designs look the same as ever. Glad to see the consistency.

>that cg mech

It's shit.

Xebec is easily one of the better studios for mechs though

>one of the better studios for mechs
>Xebec

I'm not wrong though. Fafner and Argevollen had nice mechs.

Yes.

>get hyped for FMP 4
>friend warns be about the events from LN
>read them
>story goes up shit creek so much I lose the desire to see it animated
Enjoy it all you can lads, and don't look any further into it

twitter.com/AlphaJarmel/status/881284706330828800

Full PV

I forgot how fucking cool arm slaves are

>implying
We'll finally see the best girl animated.

>Teresa

Oh FUCK
this looks so good
I'm hyped now.

I'm reading them right now, as long as Chidori and Sousuke are happy together, I will be happy.

in thumbnail that looks to be south park style

Any news from FLCL panel?

None worth repeating.

I will never be happy.

Argevollen was shit and Orange did the mechs in Fafner.

Argevollen was top 5. Wake up.

Looks pretty good, all things considered.

>about the events from LN
done withe the LNs, what do you mean?
the east asia mech arena plot?

>32 years old now
>still no Sagara

Not bad, Xebec

Doesn't look 16.

>Kyoanus will never make another /m/ show.
At least give me the cake show.