Building an Abbey

>be me
>dont have to work for two years
>longstory.btc
>want to build an abbey by hand
>and grow my own food/brew my own beer and raise little sheepies
>plant physiologist (worked at monsanto before this)

Am I a faggot?

Other urls found in this thread:

es.wikipedia.org/wiki/Catedral_de_Justo
ialsoliveonafarm.wordpress.com/2011/07/31/the-real-deal-on-being-self-sufficient-on-a-one-acre-homestead/
rcs-uk.com/self-sufficient-1-acre-homestead-usa-vs-costa-rica/
neoza.us/brewbook.pdf
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guédelon_Castle
vegetablegardener.com/item/14721/build-your-own-potato-growing-box
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hops#History
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/India_pale_ale#History
youtube.com/watch?v=toEH3q-EPvA
youtube.com/watch?v=1TEcxCsL9tw
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

No.
It sounds awesome

by plant physiologist i mean i have a green thumb. Also theres some sciency stuff i want to work on involving integrated biological systems.

Also it seems /cozy/ af

>enjoy nature and wildlife
am I a liberal faggot?

cool. I was probably going to do it anyway but was wondering if i had gone crazy.

Sounds amazing Senpai, but how will you build this by yourself within 2 years? That shit will take decades

nothing wrong with nature. in fact unrestricted globalism is the single greatest threat to the environment (and liberals support it)

>Cheval began the building in April 1879. He reported:

>I was walking very fast when my foot caught on something that sent me stumbling a few meters away, I wanted to know the cause. In a dream I had built a palace, a castle or caves, I cannot express it well... I told no one about it for fear of being ridiculed and I felt ridiculous myself. Then fifteen years later, when I had almost forgotten my dream, when I wasn't thinking of it at all, my foot reminded me of it. My foot tripped on a stone that almost made me fall. I wanted to know what it was... It was a stone of such a strange shape that I put it in my pocket to admire it at my ease. The next day, I went back to the same place. I found more stones, even more beautiful, I gathered them together on the spot and was overcome with delight... It's a sandstone shaped by water and hardened by the power of time. It becomes as hard as pebbles. It represents a sculpture so strange that it is impossible for man to imitate, it represents any kind of animal, any kind of caricature.

>I said to myself: since Nature is willing to do the sculpture, I will do the masonry and the architecture"

>For the next thirty-three years, Cheval picked up stones during his daily mail round and carried them home to build the Palais idéal. He spent the first twenty years building the outer walls. At first, he carried the stones in his pockets, then switched to a basket. Eventually, he used a wheelbarrow. He often worked at night, by the light of an oil lamp.

idk, it might not be as fancy. I was originally thinking no power tools/only ones i could power from a small hydroelectric genereator (less than 500w) but i'm eyeing one of these bad boys.

The two years is a no obligation trial period I should mention, to see if its the right lifestyle for me. If i like it ill continue.

And if people show interest after the first year when I have a better idea of what i'm doing and they want to join thats cool i guess

holy fuck am I a hippie communist?

that is awesome
and the road the land is on is called Chaval

shivers

If you turn it into a "refugium", a place for people to come and work in peace, relax, or destress. I think you might be able to get state subsidies for that, or just run it as a private place

yeah if done right i think there are subsidies/grants I could submit for. Particularly for soil and water conservation. I'd want to get something established first though. But i've explored some available grants/subsidies and there is certainly potential depending on how it plays out

goals desu

No, user, this is a good plan.

Parasite!

That would be awesome. I'd love to build something with my own hands. I'd like to have a cozy hideout with a nice garden, trees, and I love those old time abbeys. One day I'll leave this sick world and go to a monastery or something

Pro self reliance bump.

Super Bowl False Flag

You'll be loving my dream. Check out people like Justin Rhodes and Joel salatin on YouTube. Excellent insight into farming

Why did you pick a picture in Portuguese?

You're on the right track user. This is what we're coming to.

comfy; what is this from?

every self-reliance thread ever

>Am I a faggot?
nope but might want to scale it back a bit. An Abbey is a multi person project.

But why though?

that was really helpful; thanks a lot. And by "thanks a lot," I mean, Fuck you.

>Am i a faggot?

Only if you don't make it futuristic abbey. Imagine biodome meets the middle ages but with less Pauly Shore. A lot less.

"The Self-Sufficient Life and How to Live It" i think

wish you all the best

Why not just build a farm?

please marry and have plenty of children

es.wikipedia.org/wiki/Catedral_de_Justo

Jeez. Here.

ialsoliveonafarm.wordpress.com/2011/07/31/the-real-deal-on-being-self-sufficient-on-a-one-acre-homestead/

rcs-uk.com/self-sufficient-1-acre-homestead-usa-vs-costa-rica/

Well if doing for yourself being self sufficient and not relying on the government makes you a faggot I suppose so.

In other news we need more faggots.

also linky neoza.us/brewbook.pdf

If only there was some kind of reverse image search function.

This board is composed primarily of of r*ddit refugees nowadays, I bet those niggas think sage is the same as downvotting.

to worship through your work is a fine life to follow, user

Yes, you are.

How are you going to pay for the materials, your taxes, your property tax, loans, etc?

Where is that money coming from? What are you going to do that other people will give you money for?

How are you going to support youself while building, and preparing the land, and farming before you even see any return?

HOMESTEADING IS GREAT AND ALL BUT YOU ASSHOLES ARE ALL RETARDED IN HOW YOU GO ABOUT IT.

youre only a faggot if you grow hops or use them in your beer.

It's from "someone who has never farmed or gardened but knows how to draw prety pictures".

There's a reason its'a cartoon, because it's not feasible or profitable.

Can I come be a monk? I'll do my own haircut.

OK you got my attention, and what beer do you consume sir?

i don't want bees near my ducks

Ah damn. Why does growing hops make me a faggot? I'm guessing a lot of faggots do this. Is it negateated if I grow my own barley too?

That was actually kind of my inspiration. Monks were based af apparently, I used to think the just sat in cells whipping themselves all day.

I grew up near a defunct Jesuit seminary. It was cool exploring the old foundations and tunnels and stuff. If your going to do the whole self sufficiency thing might as well do it in style

The drawing might be far fetched, but it's not unheard of. Never been a farmer, only a hardcore gardener, even when I was little. But I come from a long line of farmers and got paid to genetically modify corn in my normie job. I was a bit of a legend at tissue culturing never before tissue cultured species. If that counts towards anything

Check out Monty dons work. He is what I aspire to

Nigga it's called wise savings and investments and no gf

Thanks desu

Super Bowl False Flag Threads
(Deleted)
(Archived)

Somewhere on the internet, there's a guide for growing potatoes in a 4x4 box.

Go for it OP, sounds pretty cool and im not even religious

Aditionally I heared about these people in France building a medieval castle using only contemporary methods.

Here it is:
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guédelon_Castle

>100ft farm a good idea
>until you realize it's likely illegal because of zoning laws and environmental laws
>Example, people have been fined thousands of dollars for building a man made pond because muhh endangered migratory birds

There is a reason these don't exist anymore. Homes like this were common. I remember going to my family farm home when my grandparents were alive. They build the home by hand and were self-sufficient. Thank god the home is still there but the farm is not. This type of living was first assaulted by the feds in mass by Clinton but didn't really get bad until Onigger.

it sounds amazing. Keep us posted; I always wanted to build a house in the woods desu

Do this. I will bring maple syrup.

>people have been fined thousands of dollars for building a man made pond because muhh endangered migratory birds
I really don't understand the logic behind this one.

Is your name Tim? Because this sounds a job for Bob.

Too lowbrow, and since I was in agbiotech (Monsanto) I did a lot of thinking about our systems of agriculture. I'm not a GMO Monsanto hater, but from a macro ecological and environmental perspective, there is too little being done to address integrated biological systems.

So integrating the home, farm, faith, charity and research is kind of the goal here. If successful I want people in the local community - which is fairly urban and rap/stadium country retards to look and say "that's the lifestyle I want"
Or at the least raise this municipalities reputation within the region.

Think Jefferson and montecello - but slightly more reverent (needed in these times)

Barrel them instead.

I've always found this style of homestead so daunting. I'd rather focus on one or 2 of the things. I can't be an expert in a fruit trees, pigs, vegetable gardening, bees, aquaculture, birds etcetera.

I meant ecological and economic. That's the trick I'm interested in - balancing the economic side. I favor relocalization from a global economy - kind of like city/ metropolitan self sufficiency. Some of these midwestern rust belt cities could really be epic if the vertically integrated their economies to produce most of their basic needs - from tomatoes to steel - "in house"

That's getting a bit ahead of myself, but gotta start somewhere !

Understandable. I'm a bit of a jack of all trades so I'd like to try my hand at all aspects, and at least theoretically be able to produce most any worldly good in house.

But it wouldn't be full primitive technology. More like 18th-19th tech with a sprinkle of 21st century magic

Fuckin eh. I had real syrup for the first time about a year ago and it ruined me. I can never go back to the fake stuff

ive always wanted to do somthing like that too!

>am i a faggot
is this not Sup Forums nigger?

OP, I think it sounds cool. I have a similar in bishan with a small Orchard of fruit and nut trees, fish ponds, and perhaps a limited live stock population. Although instead of an abbey, I think of it as a homestead.

hops are a trendy fad by soyboys which were appropriated from India.
The water in India is disgusting.
It stinks.
It tastes like shit.
So, they killed their beers with hops to mask it.
This is where India Pale Ale (IPA) was created.
Here in the 1st world, our water is clean and fresh, so there is no functional need for over-hopping beer.
A true beer is malted barley, yeast and water.
The best beer in the world is Ayinger Celebrator.
Try it and you will be enlightened and never soil your tongue with an IPA again.

really doing this would require some massive donations of money and probably land.
This used to occur in Europe before the reformation because people rightly believed donating their wealth helped their soul.
Protestant kikes stopped this because muh Indulgences

Hold on a tic, I can agree with you when it comes to overly hopped beers, but even the beer you mentioned has hops.

People are building a castle in France using contemporary methods at this very moment. Its certainly possible.

Initial capital to be able to weather the first year and most importantly land is the main economic barrier for entry. I lucked out on the land thing, but didn't inherent it. Pulled some Jewish tricks and good timing

>little sheepies

You're my new favorite one. :)

The box setup lets you harvest potatoes one level at a time instead of all at once.
vegetablegardener.com/item/14721/build-your-own-potato-growing-box

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hops#History

Thanks for the link I saw a you-tube video on this a while back but have only done barrels. Might have to repurpose some pallets and give this a shot as spring is about here.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/India_pale_ale#History

Just reverse image search you frustrated pussy

youtube.com/watch?v=toEH3q-EPvA
youtube.com/watch?v=1TEcxCsL9tw
This guy composts using green june beetle grubs (crawly backs). You shouldn't use these if you have or live by a fruit orchard, since the adults eat fruit. Brown june beetle grubs (belly crawlers) destroy lawns and potatoes.