Alt-Deco General II

We are fighting a culture war on all fronts. In this thread, we will focus specifically on returning to grace the institution of European Architecture from the hands of the degenerates. Modernism has failed us, Post-Modernism seeks to actively destroy, hence we are the alternative: Alt-Deco.

In the thread last week we discussed a myriad of architectural styles and critiqued them, coming to a general consensus that those among us have shared taste and interest in this craft. Let's continue to explore more genres and aim to generate new ideas for the Alt-Deco movement. I will focus my critique on the interplay between interior and exterior design.

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1916_Zoning_Resolution
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

I prefer Elizabethen, but Art-Deco will suffice.

I'm thinking of an Architectural mix between Bioshock and Blade Runner.

We begin with Frauenkirche in Munich, an example of the Gothic Renaissance style and a distinctly less gaudy one at that.

Notice the shape of the Cathedral, how it towers above all else in the city yet through a sharply angled series of tiled roof brings itself down to almost standard rooftop level - appealing to both heaven and those who dwell on the earth yearning to seek it. The hexagonal back-bracing of the building holds the altar, while the gates lay in between the twin spires ringed atop with copper and golden orbs. While less ornate, each step from the tower is different from the last in subtle ways, forcing those at ground level to admire it from multiple angles in order to discern it's mystery.

While not pictured, ringed along it's base lie inscriptions of the history of the cathedral, the city it sits within and the nation it represents. Written in Latin and German, these sit at the base of the tall, imposing stained-glass windows as if to act as a messenger to those too intimidated to venture within.

A fine example of chaste architecture with a purpose to both it's people and the divine. A part of it's city, it would be sorely out of place otherwise.

Inside the Frauenkirche we begin to see the mystery hinted at in the exterior, as well as what can be described as a classical shift in tone - quite different from most gothic cathedrals.

We see here the view from the front of the pews towards the altar - high alabaster octagonal columns rise towards golden struts almost appearing as ropes - yet these columns too show their modesty as they remain unadorned, simple, flat. Hanging high lie traditionally gothic light fixtures, with asymmetrical wooden and brass sculptures of Jesus and Mary sit pointedly to each side. This placing is incredible - not overbearing and watching from the stained glass hallowed above all else, but to the side and ushering in the sermon which is to be given on a similarly plain yet polished altar. The glass is brightly colored, almost muted and hidden between the towering structures. Mystery even unto the end.

Before we proceed too much further, here is a screencap of the previous thread. You may also read it in the archive here:

It saddens me that the Muslims will destroy it.

It would be nice to have art deco without it going full Batman (The Tim Burton one0

Modern International - this house claims to be a home befitting the citizen of the world, indeed the style itself attempts to go beyond borders hence it's name.

Well, as can be plainly witnessed when one goes beyond borders one tends to find it difficult to reduce the commonalities of human desires and interests, as so much of who we are are tied to our history. Insofar as one could find common ground, most architects of the Modern Internationalist style tend to focus on something they're good at and what they mistakenly believe all find appealing - mathematics.

Look beyond the building - we see a scrub hillside and a highly maintained lawn with simple, off-the-shelf shrubbery. Boring. Inoffensive. Manufactured. The building follows suit in it's egg-shell plain desperation, and symmetry more fitting a cheap hotel than a place one can call home. Industrial waist-high railings, also painted white, jut about the balconies without consideration for the inhabitants but rather for continuing to maintain to the perfect 90 degree angles created on the floor plan. Indeed, the lazy addition of what could be best described as a protractor to the lobby leaves this feeling soulless and void.

Degenerate not necessarily by design, but by inability to realize something greater and by general laziness.

The point is not to worship the ashes, but to keep the flames alive. Is not about the preservation of the physical, but the mindset that created it

Modern International interior - the best thing that can be said of it is that it is as consistently off the mark as it's exterior.

Trying to capture the 60s but without trying to limit itself to being distinctly American (as that might offend the highly intelligent international citizenship, naturally) we see vague shapes of cold granite sitting above a blindingly white concrete floor. Indeed with recessed lighting, recessed cabinetry (in the form of industrial vats it seems) and recessed ceiling struts - it's hard to not feel recessed yourself. Certainly uninviting and almost masturbatory to the architect who designed it. Can one imagine children in this setting?

Much too far in the direction of style over substance. The kitchen of the housewife who never cooks but loves to entertain people she secretly despises.

Well said.

This exactly. Buildings - great buildings have been destroyed and will continue to find the same fate. The same is true of ideals, virtues, lineages.

There is no one architectural style that can encompass and inspire a people unless these are indeed a people. The desire to fight back, to keep rebuilding, to persevere and radiate beyond our own small lives is a distinctly European value set worth fighting for. So long as we understand this, we will continue to seek and create inspiration.

Like anything it can be corrupted. While I enjoy some Art-Deco structures, I find it more fitting for places of public utility and institution; The home would need it's own vision.

There's also Greco-Deco user

or Mayan Revival

I'm going to end my critiques a bit early with the as-yet-unnamed 'redwood cabin' post-modernist style home - quickly finding a place in the US West Coast.

This is an example of taking sectionalism to the extremes - here we clearly see half of a barn and half of what was likely a retrofit of the original structure. Like some parasite this half-unfinished credo latched on to everything around it, from useless yet painstakingly off-placed patio tiles to some sort of tertiary structure with plain round wooden posts serving no purpose other than to be the quirky aspect of that section of the grounds. This is what a hipster thinks living rough looks like, and their poor choice of anything beyond showing the whole world how chic their living room looks likely extends to their lack of creative thought.

Angular, haphazard and anti-utilitarian, it neither fits in with it's environment or exemplifies any good exhibited by it's owners. Pathetic.

i dont like this at all

Freedomfag: you have the worst taste in architecture.

Sorry the Patriots lost though. I wanted them to win too.

The stepback skyscraper which you are referring to as "art deco" was not a result of
"design", but to comply with building codes

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1916_Zoning_Resolution

kek
quiet kid, grown-ups are talking

No one has referred to any skyscrapers as Art-Deco in this thread.

You bring up an interesting point though Charlton, building codes. The 1916 Zoning Resolution Authors were George McAneny (Democrat) and Edward Basset (Democrat, son of a merchant). Most building code revisions and licensing have come from Democratic party members, or those of Jewish descent, to rending buildings more "safe". It's true, new standards and styles emerge from this, but so many others die along the way.

I wish my city had more than one Art-Deco Tower.