Koe no Katachi

>"bwaaaahhh, all I had to do was nearly kill myself to make a few extra """"""friends"""""""""" that are gonna forget about me a month after highschool's over anyway, boohooo I'm so happy the world is so beautiful, everything's my fault"

The deaf girl and the fat boy were really the only friends of his worth keeping. Surely no one actually expects grade schoolers to have a developed moral compass, right? What a bunch of worthless, spineless nothings.

>Japanese ethics folded over 1000000 times

kill yourself

Fuck off, Ueno

bump
Shit did I watch this too late

BEST
E
S
T

Are you fucking stupid, OP? The "deaf girl" that tried to kill herself, even though everyone cared for her and her life was dramatically improving and thus gets rightfully beat up by Ueno for being so selfish, is the only friend worth keeping?

She was really nice to him even though he bullied her. She was too nice. She just tried to kill herself because she was sad about being deaf.

>even though everyone cared for her and her life was dramatically improving
wut
>Her grandma died
>She feels like a burden for the people around her, especially her sister
>Her mother is being unreasonably harsh on her
>Was bullied for most of her life
>Her hearing is getting gradually worse
>Blames herself for the bridge incident and Ishida being isolated
>Is told she is useless and not good enough for most of her life

This. Anyway OP read the manga if you didn't already. Much more complete

Shouko always best gal

After seeing this movie I'm convinced that japanese "people" are fucking sociopaths. I know victim blaming is a huge SJW meme but these guys really are scum.

Hopefully you're not insulting my husband.

Some of the stuff they pull is downright evil and could drive people to murder-suicide. Meanwhile the idiot fat fucks on Sup Forums defend them because they're kawaii.

>isolate yourself from the world due to the fear of others from how you bullied a girl into leaving school
>finally gain the courage to look at others faces and face them properly
>realize how vibrant and wonderful the world is when you push aside your selfishness and listen to others, and just how loved and cared about you are
I think anybody would cry their heart out at that moment, user. Hell, I cried my heart out watching it.

>beat up by Ueno for being so selfish
Yeah, Ueno beat up her because Ueno was a fucking selfish slut who felt that Shouko stole "her" Shouya from her, but forgot that she was one of the reasons he was bullied back in school, what a fucking bitch, worth of keeping as cumdumper and nothing else.

This. Ueno was he only half decent character in it. The rest were betas and cunts.

It's just a bunch of stupid bended logic so they can have a lot of emotional moments that mean nothing.

>Surely no one actually expects grade schoolers to have a developed moral compass, right?
Are you retarded?

Everyone except some minor side characters and the deaf girl where fucking monsters and no amount of mental gymnastics you mongoloids come up with will change that in the eyes of a mature person.

>depressed neet projecting his insecurities is mad that a 2D character found a gf and is finally happy
Consider getting help OP

I am, he is a spineless nothing but not really in a bad way. He's a good kid, he just needs a father to tell him to stop being a bitch and letting the cool kids step all over him.

>Are you retarded?
What do you mean? All of the highschool kids acted like the stuff he did to shouko happened yesterday. I mean no shit elementary schoolers are gonna do evil things if they aren't watched, children lack the mental capacity and/or the experience to have decent morals (generally speaking). Shouya wasn't even punished for bullying shouko until it was too late. The adults literally just let the situation escalate until it got about as bad it was gonna get, and then put all the blame on one kid.

The end was really rushed but well done all things considering.

Considering the movie was 2 hours I didn't mind the ending, sure it could have been better and I wish I knew what that glow at the very end was supposed to be, but they pulled it off pretty well imo. I didn't cry, the movie got me :thinking: but nothing more dramatic than that.

I might have a minor fetish for deaf girls because of that movie

Yuzuru is top tier. It's all that matters.
Ueno did nothing wrong after elementary school.

>mc is crying
What a beta cuck

Chex.

This.

She tried to kill herself because she knew she was making everyone around her miserable despite her trying her best.

I know, user. They make for a really good breakfast. I'm sure that's why Shouko likes them so much.

>all I had to do was nearly kill myself to make a few extra """"""friends"""""""""" that are gonna forget about me a month after highschool's over anyway
>It's just a bunch of stupid bended logic
>mental gymnastics
The guy couldn't even look at people's faces, the point was that he got over that. Not that the others were good people, KyoAni outright cut out all the shit focusing on the other characters and changed the ending just to say that even.

The ending really irked me the wrong way. Everyone in their group is still a superficial piece of shit, but they all just decide to pretend like they're not and somehow that constitutes a happy ending? Everything about this was really good but the ending was not the right way to conclude the story.

Having digested it now, I can see that it was just a use of cheap emotional cliches.
It was a good watch but it's nowhere near as good as Kimi no Na Wa or Byousoku 5 Centimeter.

>Ueno was he only half decent character in it.
Ueno's the worst character there. Not because "she's mean" or whatever the fuck, she's just a poorly conceived source of conflict and nothing else. Everyone else was moving on with their lives. Shouya himself didn't particularly care about her even back then. She was irrationally obsessed with this shit and dragged everyone down to her level just because.

The story needed some sort of 'antagonist' for the sake of drama I suppose but she was undeniably the weakest part of the story.

Memes aside, I can't see anyone giving this anything over a 6.

The ending was atrocious
And there are little blips in the writing, like when they got the video of the girl slapping the fuck out of her on the ferris wheel and they did LITERALLY nothing.
And how the actions of gradeschoolers carried so much weight in highschool, it's understandable for the MC because he was the main perpetrator. But after all the apologies and such it should be like water off your back.

This 100%

>but they all just decide to pretend like they're not and somehow that constitutes a happy ending
The MC getting over his issues and being able to actually look and listen to people is what's supposed to constitute a happy ending. There are good people and crappy people but they're still there regardless, that's all. It's not exactly some 2deep4u shit going on here, it was symbolized by characters having big fucking crosses over their face even.

>The story needed some sort of 'antagonist' for the sake of drama I suppose
I'd argue that it didn't need her specifically, both the MC and the deaf chick had plenty of other problems to deal with.

Ueno was one of the more believable characters in the entire thing.

Sounds like you're just projecting.

If they randomly stopped being superficial pieces of shit then it wouldn't be a happy ending, it would just be a fairy tail ending. Realistically, hypocritical and superficial people will always be there, as sad as it is. Not only that, but the story is about Shouya's and Shouko's redemption, not the other characters.

I don't think it's really necessary to show them become decent people, especially if there's no plot device that affects them directly to trigger that change (unlike with the protagonists).

Why would you not break off a small piece and pick said piece up to eat?
I mean unless you eating that egg in one mouthful picking it up to eat like this seems pointless.

She was the least believable character in the entire thing. It wasn't just that she was unable to grow up, no one had any reason to bother entertaining her dumb shit at all. She was only in the story to start up random conflict, nothing else.

She was key to Shouko's development. Ueno was the only one with the balls to tell Shouko that by doing nothing, she's just making it worse.

Shouya was key to Shouko's development. Her grandma's death, her hearing getting worse, Shouya failing to understand her confession, and her already feeling like a her mother and her sister is what triggers her actions. You can absolutely take Ueno out of the story completely and not much would change, at most it'd progress a little slower but the same shit would happen regardless.

She wasn't believable, you'd like her less if she was I bet. Her being popularly hated due to so blatantly only existing to inject melodrama into the story and not functioning as a standalone character herself activates your contr/a/rian senses and you're persuading yourself into thinking that she was some sort of deep misunderstood well-written character. There's always that one character in the popular shows/series where this happens on here, and KnK's one is Ueno.

I don't think you know what that word means.

>all these characters are acting in superficial ways and don't genuinely care about others in the group despite evidence to the contrary!
Sounds like projecting to me. Even Kawai went out her way for Ishida, its kind of obvious that they genuinely care.

I don't know why you think she' so unbelievable.
To me it's more far fetched that anyone could be a doormat like Shouko.

You can't possibly think all the characters are somehow morally perfect and don't still carry their own issues after the ending. Even the people refuting me that it was indeed a good ending agree all the other characters are still superficial. Open your eyes man.

>You can't possibly think all the characters are somehow morally perfect and don't still carry their own issues after the ending.
Yeah but that has absolutely nothing to do with being superficial, that's just being human.

Their only problem for the entire plot was how superficial they all were. Jesus Christ it's like I'm talking to a brick wall.

Personally, I feel that the fact that some of them didn't change is.. important to the story.

It's a story about isolation, redemption and growth. An important thing however, is that it isn't for everyone. Ueno is still a bit of a bitch, she is trying a little harder to get along with the group but ultimtely didn't change. Kawaii is still going to be manipulative and two faced, maybe she will improve, but as of now she kind of hasn't, but that is fine. That is part of the story, that is part of life, accepting that people can change is as much of a part as accepting that some people won't, and you still have to deal with that for better or worse.

Just my two cents on it, if everyone changed for better happy sparkles I feel the story would lose a huge sense of the realism and scope, it focused on what is important, the feeling of isolation and the escape from that what Shouya yearned for, everything, even his developing romance is a secondary catalyst.

I also liked the thematic pairings, the comparisons between Sho' and Sho' setting up their mutual depression without outright stating it. The close shot of her climbing out of screen very early. Him failing to catch her the first time she jumps into the river. Both suicide attempts being backdropped by Fireworks, The second watch through I saw a lot of little things that were well placed.

On the topic, I watched this one night on a whim after some shitty jonah-hill movie and thought "Eeh, anime movie why not." and fucking adored it, I only wish I could have seen it in the cinema I genuinely really loved the film and starting to read the Manga as others have said there are differences.

What are some good suggestions, I had no idea I'd be into this kind of drama/romance genre but I'm really interested in more. I've heard good things for Kimi no na wa and that is getting a Cinema release in a few months in the UK so I want to wait and watch it on the big screen.

>Their only problem for the entire plot was how superficial they all were
Did you even watch the movie?
Ueno was the most honest and went straight for the underlying issues between them. Literally the opposite of superficial. Her issue is that she's too forward and has a short temper but she means well.
Nagatsuka absolutely adores Ishida for sticking up for him, enough to spend hours looking for Ishida's bike alone. He's probably the most normal of the bunch, he's just too high strung for others to handle.
Kawai blissfully believes she's innocent, but she does genuinely care about Shouko and Ishida. She tried to get people to make paper cranes for Ishida but nobody would, so she ended up making them herself.
Sahara is a coward, she directly states so herself. Even in the end she cannot look at Ishida in the face because of how awkward the situation is.
Mashiba is a literal who in the film who's just friends with Kawai.

Not even going to bother explaining Ishida and Shouko because they are way too developed to summarize in a couple sentences.

>And how the actions of gradeschoolers carried so much weight in highschool

This, MC had a decent reason to be depressed because everyone started hating him and then that made him hate himself even when everyone stopped hating him, it makes sense. How everyone still treats him like he's a bully even so long after is kind of ridiculous.

Everything you've just stated is all encompassing their superficiality. Go rewatch the scene on the bridge in which Ishida tells everyone to fuck off because of how superficial they all are. None of them ever get past this shit. In the end they're all just like "Man we've been through some shit so let's just chill for now." There is no substantial growth for any of the characters other than the protagonists.

And for that matter, Ishida and Shouko were never really a part of this discussion. They're the protagonists so obviously they have the most, and only, growth of all the characters.