Is working in an office really as soul crushing as people say it is?

Is working in an office really as soul crushing as people say it is?

I've just got a corporate job (Deloitte Corporate Finance if anyone's interested) and it's my first real office job, so what am I letting myself in for?

My hours are likely to be 9am-11pm Mon-Fri + studying for the CFAB on the weekends for the first few years.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=D-3Y3NDCT-Y
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Not at all, office jobs are the best jobs that you can get. Nothing is more comfy.

I hope so. I couldn't wait to start, but people I know are saying London is shit let alone working in an office.

do you like sitting in an office? do you mind learning boring, pointless, meaningless shit all the time? do you love money? do you care about your life not meaning anything, or perhaps being a detriment to society?

my office job beats the shit out of working in a 100 degree kitchen during the summer

>deloitte corporate finance

Thats fucking brutal, whats overall comp?

t.private equity analyst turning 82k first year, I havent worked over 60 hrs a week with exception of a deal in november

I love sitting down and learning things. Boring, pointless, meaningless shit is all just subject after all. I particularly like looking at how different company cultures can make or break a newly merged company.

You don't have autonomy in those lower office positions. That's the spirit breaker.

£33k per year I think ($46k)? I'm only 24 years old, so entry level.

It's kind of low but Delotte isn't on par with a dedicated IB I don't think. It's still firmly an accountancy/consulting company.

If you can not manage to acquire this poster then you are surely going to end up going entirely mad; I have seen it many times.

It's okay, as long as you know when to quit. Make sure you don't get too Man y debts and fixed expenses so you can gtfo at the earliest sign of existential angst.

t. spent 7 years in a cubicle.

No, it's just a fucking meme perpetuated by assblasted tradefags and other assorted retards who are gonna end up with ruined backs at age 40 and nothing to show for it.

Of course it's not all roses and violets, but no job is - otherwise people wouldn't pay you to do it.

Not all office jobs are created equal. Some office jobs are brutally stressful, fast paced, no room for error, long hours, how the fuck am I sweating so much just sitting at a desk... Others are browse the web for 7 hours a day, maybe do 1 hour of real work, place is chill, can roam around the office talking to people, bosses don't care what you do as long as you finish what they need.

>cubicles

Lol, I don't think there's too many cubicles at Deloitte London. From what I saw it was all open plan except for the big bosses.

that's 60 hours a week user you're going to want to kill yourself

ITS WHITE PRIVILIGE!!!!

youtube.com/watch?v=D-3Y3NDCT-Y

14 hours a day....fuck that. live your life and let someone else work there.

It's fine for the first 2-3 years, fun even.

Then for the next 3-5 years it's ok, you still maintain a life outside of work and find joy in things.

But then, after ~8 years of wageslaving away it all comes crumbing down. You just eat, commute, work at a desk, commute, sleep. over and over. forever.

wtf are you even complaining? I'd love to work in corporate finance but now I'm stuck in accounting. THAT is soul crushing, at least in corp finance you learn how to value businesses

it depends what you make of it user. Only probelm with office jobs is gaining weight due to sedentary liftestyle. So do excercise or pick up a sport.

As it was pointed out in that movie you are not your job.

It's tolerable if you just pretend you're a British Imperial beurocrat dealing with tea shipments from the Raj or something

The "office jobs will DESTROY UR SOUL!!1!" meme comes from limp-wristed liberal arts majors who can't stand putting their nose to the grindstone.
Yes it can get a little monotonous. Personally I love having a firm routine, but even if you don't you'll manage just fine if you don't have a childish desire to be creatively stimulated every hour of the work day.

9am to 11pm? Seriously?

It’s not bad. Work hard, hit your KPI’s, make yourself valuable and you will get promoted.

>Is working in an office really as soul crushing as people say it is?
Yes. Especially if your stuck in one of those open air Jewish monstrosities.

Are they as (((diversity friendly))) as they say or they only hire whites ?

>working for deloitte
That's a good job, user. Congrats

Finance is brutal

Yes.

Depends on what you're doing.
It's typically men who only work in the office to climb up the ranks and women who complain about how soul crushing it is.

Cubicles are comfy. They gave me a privacy feeling. They made the company look like a hive, for sure, but being out of others sight makes use for it.

Bitch you can always work in a factory for minimum wage like some white nigger, like me.

Depends on the person tbqh. If you have a comfy family and a stable job it's great if that's what you want.

I'm in engineering. I thought that was brutal. What are you supposed to eat and how do you sleep?

Real men have offices with a window and a female assistant to grope on occasion .

If the commute isn't bad you'll be okay. The combination of being in a cube farm or a lonely office all day AND a shitty commute is what used to kill me. One or the other is tolerable

As other anons have already stated... yesno.

Yes because you will be doing pointless shit, which consequences will not be felt at all, your contribution to society will be the one of an ant and when the introspection and existentital dread kicks in you will be left old and tired looking for meaning in a wasted life, this is not something you can really scape unless you compensate with some progress that you can actually feel(promotion/real raise) or you quit.

It's a biological imperative, like being social, requiring food, feeling uncomfortable with people near your vital space or needing children, some people will scape this for variation is natural in humanity but not all of these factors and I doubt that the need to contribute to your peers or feeling accepted by others has passed your genetic lotery.

Also I would say it's variable, small offices where groups are small and everything is closer and tighter there is a higher chance that you can feel like contributing to something or being able to bond.

Otherwise stay away, you are the XXI setf, a peasant, but only a pseudoslave for you choose your demise and you are the only one at fault for none is forcing you into it.

Office jobs aren't too bad OP. I went from busting my ass as a mechanic for 8 years. To working in sales, literally the best decision I have made in a long time. I spend probably 1/3 of the day actually working. the other 2/3 of the day I am browsing the web or just hanging out with my co-workers. Did I mention I am making a shit ton more money working with my brain than I did with my hands? Totally fucking worth it. 14hr days would be a deal breaker for me though, unless I am getting $100k+/yr. Trades are great and all but not good for the long term. Only people who stay as tradefags are mouth breathers that lack any wit.

Found the autist.
There's nothing bad with open spaces as long as they're < 15-20 people (to limit noise).
Not everyone is a data entry drone who can just lock himself in his cubicle and work alone all day, and also some of us actually enjoy talking to people sometimes.

You eat energy bars and sleep on the train

You scored OP, congrats. Office jobs are the best, because over time, if you aren't a fucking retard or have a very specialized position, you can automate the vast majority of your job using macros. It takes my coworkers about 30 minutes to fully invoice transfers where I work and it only took me 10 because I'd written some shitty little authotkey scripts to migrate all the data from one screen to another. If I'd spent some time learning computer networking I probably could have cut that time down to 5 minutes. It's why I got promoted
So, short of it is: Learn how to use a computer well and you will barely have to work in an office job. I spend most of my time reading and day trading on company time, because I never have work that takes me longer than 3 hours to complete

why are you working 14 hours a day 5 days a week like a slave? oh wait, financial, get out while asap, only idiots hang around long or slave for scum bag bankers. you'll be the first on the street.

I guess that depends what you're doing, how many hours a day, whats the company like and how much they'll try to squeeze out of you

It can be boring but usually it is pretty chill

You have to prove your dominance on the first day. Give people nicknames, like "Dicky Smells" and "Golden Globes", then walk around until you find a chair you really like and take it.

If anybody fucks with you, shank 'em in the cafeteria.

>tfw too stupid to even have the credentials to have a soulless office job

>Train
Enjoy your train wreck

You get paid to socialize and interrupt other workers? Weird.

Nah it's alright
>My hours are likely to be 9am-11pm Mon-Fri
14 hours a day, 5 days a week? What the fuck dude, what third-world country do you live in? Where do you find time for yourself with a work schedule like that?

Just find work in a lab...

>Finance
sorry OP, you fucked up

Work at waste management.
The wetback down the street from me made a decent life that way.

Both sound terrifying.
So glad I'm in trades... Some days I bust my ass, other days I just hide somewhere and shitpost on Sup Forums or read a book on my phone.

How many days do you hide a week?

>9-11 and study on the weekends
they're just going to work you to the bone until you quit

How do I be normie enough to consistently pass interviews?

I have failed many graduate interview processes in London.

It's what you make of it. It's better than being a weed-smoking neet.

It really depends on:

1. The nature of the job
2. How many women are in your office
3. How sensitive you are to excess sound, heat, smell, crowding

Personally I work in an office with 50% women and they demand that the windows remain shut all the time, that the heating be turned up all the time, they laugh and talk loudly all the day, and they heat spicy food in the microwave stinking the place out.

On quiet days when half the office is away it's actually quite a pleasant experience. Aged 23 I hated working in an office as it demands that you be somewhat submissive, deceitful (e.g. pretending not be working instead of browsing some website), and chances are your co-workers will be uber-normies / chad tryhards. But I have really forced myself to cling to my job and work hard and 4 years later I am much calmer, more level-headed, WAY less selfish and much more energetic than before.

Working any mind-numbing full-time job is in my experience a useful contemporary means of learning discipline (self and external) and also learning how to become a leader. My boss for example is from a totally different social class and background but I respect him and work as hard as I do for him partly because I realize how rare it is to have such a nice guy leading you.

Yes.

really paddy, really?

Dont forget ability to ignore ethical dimension of what youre doing.
Evebtually youll ve steamrolled into having kuds and youll preyend to do all thus devious horrific shit for their benefit, and make a pittance at it.

I’m a Data Analyst
I mostly shitpost all day. Do maybe 10 hours of work a week

>It's better than being a weed-smoking neet.
Nah.

If you don't have a soul-crushing job, you're lazy. But if you do, your soul is crushed.

It's far worse than I ever thought possible. Teaching English in China was a far more fulfilling career.

>Personally I work in an office with 50% women.
I'm sorry.

>9am-11pm
Yeah, fuck that shit. I make 100k a year fucking off in maintenance at a factory and don't work near that many hours.

You've signed up to live to work, in a particularly repetitive and brutal industry, in the hopes that one day your noose will slacken and your existential dread can be paid off? My friend, I think the physical surroundings of your chosen occupation are the least of your concerns.

Oh and London is pretty shit, and if you're a regular on Sup Forums then you're going to find obvious reasons to hate it.

My guess is that you'll be working near London Bridge? If so I recommend renting a room somewhere like Forest Hill, so at least you can snooze on the train straight after work and at least you'll have somewhere relatively cozy to go home to at night.

I don't understand why you'd put yourself through working 9am - 11pm but I know a lot of people do it to get rich quick and then retire early or take a few years off to avoid burnout. Stick around and you'll see some finance guys post ITT. I saw a Finnish guy working in finance (metals trading) here recently who is moving back to London soon.

33k a year? Working 14 hour days?

I hope you're joking.

>11pm
Jesus Christ

I work as a software engineer, you need to talk with the others on your team all the time.

It's fine, but you got shit hours. I work office hours and even so I see how hard it can be to get shit done after work and before bed time. Well at least there's weekends eh

>working in IT consultance
>45-55 hrs every week
>choleric boss
>always under pressure
>people that don't meet expectations are fired
>only women in the company are secretaries
>aggressive all the time due to high stress
>can't relax even in free time

The experience he will gain there will look damn good on a resume and land him a better paying job in the future

I used to manage a warehouse + webstore, which was a combination of office work and some floor work / supervisory stuff, and a lot of travel to retail locations for training new staff and that sort of thing. It was fucking awesome. Every day was different. Best job I've ever had.

Then I got a big promotion and became director of purchasing, which was 100% office at our corporate building. I didn't even last a year. I was good at the job, but I just couldn't fucking stand it. The constant staring at spreadsheets. The boring meetings with old men who have no idea how the company even works anymore. The stupid fucking questions from middle managers. The HR women looking for something to do all the time, stirring the pot and causing fake problems.

They doubled my (already very good) salary and it still wasn't worth it. I will never work in an office again. I fled the city and moved to a mountain town with only a couple thousand people, and now I own a small backyard farm where I sell veggies to local restaurants. I don't even make minimum wage but I'm way happier.

sounds like fun.
do they give people raises that exceed expectation?

This

Is that even minimum wage?

Corporate finance cucks are pathetic. Nowadays they dont even make a lot of money. So so sad.

>The boring meetings with old men who have no idea how the company even works anymore. The stupid fucking questions from middle managers.
Top kek
Ive been in meetings with a vendor where there is half a million dollars sitting between us and nobody knows how much of it belongs to whom and the discussion just wastes 3 hours and leads to even more questions and spreadsheets for the next 3 hour meeting.

Depends on the office. The smaller places are laid back. People come in with casual clothes, Large chains will be strict and bureaucratic. That's the nature of autonomy and size though. Smaller communities are tight nit. Larger communities are impersonal and intense. It's an emerging value of human instinct, we're not meant to be in gigantic tribes.

>will look damn good on a resume
>I am being extorted but at least I might get a better job in the future
The absolute state of wageslaves

>9am - 11pm
Where the fuck do you live? Who the fuck has 14 hour work days in an office? Jesus Christ OP, also monday through friday+? Does that mean you are literally going to be working 6-7 work days of 14 fucking hours? What country has sweatshop conditions for it's white collars?

Not if you're social and can make friends with your co-workers. If you're a creepy dude who can't hold a conversation to save his life then yeah, an office job is gonna be pretty shitty for you.

You have to build, user. After 8 years he'll be eligible to make twice what hes making now.
t. guy that worked 3 years for 35k then 4 years for 52k before making 78k.

Londistan

Working in general is soul crushing.

Imagine spending all your best years pinned to a desk, doing brainless repetitive tasks. It's pretty much hell.

All I want to do is work. what else is there to do?

>t. guy that worked 3 years for 35k then 4 years for 52k before making 78k.
Wow that sounds horrible. Good job on participating in the race to the bottom. The proletariat is so very screwed.

you start with an average salary of 50-60k with a determined raise of 800$ every year, but big raises only come with promotions

I work for a company that sends me running around delivering medical stuff from one place to another. Today i went to a health equipment providers office, it resembled the typical semi cubical office type place. Weird 2 rooms one room was all women sitting at desks, the other room was all men setting at desks, anyway, looked comfy as fuck, honestly it was laid back, guys on their pc's doing work and watching youtube. They made a few calls, most of them looked like cucked soyboys, but a few looked like right wing chads. Idk i thought to myself today fuck i should be working at that job.

>Imagine spending all your best years pinned to a desk, doing brainless repetitive tasks. It's pretty much hell.
Its not hell if immediately after work you have more money than you know what to do with and a gf, user.

Open plan is horrible. What is has amounted to in the past for me is -
>manager sits next to me, or within speaking range
>everyone including your manager always listens in on your phonecalls
>plenty of noise and distraction

I must say youre working hours are pretty heavy OP. Thats MD level, except without it being a well paid and rewarding job.

Depends.

Most people find them comfy, yes.

Some people can't stand the. The environment, the politics, the day to day go against every fiber of their being.

I'm one of the latter and this is slowly killing me.

>Wow that sounds horrible
It wasn't soo bad. Had money, paid car, saved money, live how I want without fear of no monies.
Whats your life like, user?

How old are you? I suspect you're LARPing but I would be interested to hear more.

Read some books and practice. Go to job interviews that you have no intention of taking just for the interview practice.

>you have more money than you know what to do with
So you already had a house paid off or something?

How can anyone have "more money than he knows what to do with" when he is not even a millionaire? I dont get it.

>Whats your life like, user?
Oh its awful, but far better than when I was working in an office. Benefits are truly the aristocrat's choice.

Good for you user.

jobless art degree confirmed.

They say it takes ~7 years for a man to become institutionalized in prison. The same goes for an office job.

I hate these with a burning passion. They reduce my productivity by at least 75%.

I found 4-5 in the same room to be optimal for teamwork/productivity.

>you already had a house paid?
I'm white, my parents own 4 houses, all,but one paid. That's the one I live in. I pay my dad $650 to live there. I'll be inheriting 3 of the 4 houses.