Starship Troopers

What's Sup Forums's opinion on Starship Troopers?
I still haven't figured out if it's pro authoritarian gov or if it's parodying authoritarian gov.
Some reviews pointed out fascist undertones, I wouldn't go so far, but what's your opinion?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=kdrjzE1SE58
youtu.be/bn2M86AkgHA
youtube.com/watch?v=-M6FXuFPayY
ebay.co.uk/i/302605831139?chn=ps&adgroupid=49962975962&rlsatarget=pla-379145153426&abcId=1129946&adtype=pla&merchantid=9894104&poi=&googleloc=1006669&device=c&campaignid=974199341&crdt=0
youtube.com/watch?v=KIsv1YOFNys
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

It was a parody, still better than current reality though.

It's a parody but it's as close as you can get to a remotely positive portrayal of the fash aesthetic

Personally I liked how they only gave voting rights to “citizens” and the quickest way to become a citizen was military service. People who bled for a nation are going to vote in the interest of it. Democracy is a failure embrace the 3rd position

Book is pro

Movie is parody

(Source: read the book and had a relative have a heavy hand in the making of said film).

For a parody they bring up some interesting points.
For instance the idea that citizenship has to be earned, or that the current elite is so distanced from actual reality that in SST Veterans took over and built a unified human empire

I want to know more
youtube.com/watch?v=kdrjzE1SE58

>Argentinians
>white
it was pure science fiction

Maybe the brits finally managed to finish the job

Supposed to be a parody, but in a classical liberal way it managed to make it a good alternative. I don't get why they only focus on the positive things.

Clearly parody, but as usual, the bootlickers of authoritarian governments fail to see the blatant irony.

well, it's based of the book that is all about a militaristic authoritarian society. If you watch the beginning where the professor is giving his philosphy lesson that incorporates the general tone of the book. The movie took some of the themes from the book but mostly dropped them in exchange for the pop-scifi that the rest of the movie turns into.

It's a positive parody if that makes sense.

They were descendants of the Nazis that escaped to Argentina, not actual Argentinians. This only adds to the movie's authoritarian elements.

The movie is a parody of a book that's a parody of authoritarianism by a guy who didn't read the book. Both are still fantastic.

It's like
>we're making a joke...... well, maybe... not really

I'm sure someone was a closet fascist.

>relative helped make the film
That’s pretty neat regardless of politics stance the movie is great and special effects are top notch

Yeah I thought so too. I mean it feels like a parody, especially with the over the top violence and the complete disregard for human life (like that war reporter that got bisected in a bizarre but amusing way).
But I don't think they parody the core principles of the Alliance. It actually goes out of it's way to explain why it's important and right.

Dude Argentina is one of the whitest countries in South America. The history of immigration to Argentina is really interesting. Further, an astonishing number of their jews have actually left for Israel.

the movie is parody but fun to watch. the book is pro fascism and a great read. Book > movie. I wish America had that type of government.

The book is honest. The movie is failed satire. Heinlein wanted to create a believable civilization that was better than ours and he succeeded. Verhoeven wanted to satirize that civilization, but didn’t change anything except add nazi uniforms. That’s just lazy. The Nazi card backfired.

Verhoeven: Look at how horrible those good looking, strong and brave soldiers are. Don't be a hero like them. Be a miserable, marxist freak of nature like us.

The book is overtly fascist, the film is supposed to be parody. It says a lot about fascism when even a satirical portrayal looks like the perfect society.

>Dude Argentina is one of the whitest countries in South America.

Whitest country on continent of brown people. What an accomplishment.

it was a completely shitty movie unworthy of any sort of analysis other than how shitty it was

Parody that ended up viewed as positive. Much like "He's Back"

youtu.be/bn2M86AkgHA

I believe the movie is good and the people of the future Will listen to JONESwave music ...

I'm from Berlin and I say praise Allah

>blatant irony

Your irony completely failed. That’s always the problem with you hipster faggots and your holy irony. It never occurs to you that your satire can not only fail, but completely backfire. Especially when you play the Nazi card. Shouting "Nazi! Nazi!” like a magic word to scare people, doesn't work anymore.

They lied about Trump, did they lie about Hitler? It's funny that a democrat ad failed so badly that Google Youtube now censors it.
youtube.com/watch?v=-M6FXuFPayY

Talk about the future of europe...

>American
Jesus christ my sides

Read the book and then form an opinion. Heinlein was into some pretty weird shit and I'm not an expert on him but some of his ideas seem pretty Libertarian/ anti-authoritarian.

I want to know more

Higher end budget 'B-Movie' with a comedic critique on actual fascism, imperialism and totalitarianism. Has elements of a late 50s/early 60s screenplay and has a rather stark, dismal tone yet ultimately ends up optimistic despite the war effort persisting. It could be Phil K Dick-esque with some minor plot tweaks and more exploration into the self-righteousness of humanity, but it def seems inspired by his work.

>Plus if you grew up in the 90s it was 5-6/10 spank material

All things considered, worth the watch.

You know what, I'll actually do that, I'm curious now.

In History and Moral Philosophy class. Learning how force is the supreme authority from which all other authority is derived from. Eager to sign up to the military and conquer the galaxy in the name of mankind. Wake up from my daydream in public school, in the twenty first century. Listen to a fat, ugly and illiterate sheboon screeching on about how western civilization is evil. Realize you will never have a teacher as red pilled as Heinlein and as badass as Michael Ironside.

I use it as a model now as a society to aim for.
Good teachers and education, class is full of good looking health teenagers, they all get along well, somewhat economic equality.
Type 1 space faring society.
Not many nigs and muslims.

Pretty much a great society to live in.

>That scene when Hitler shoots a dog cause "muh evil Adolf"

The book is by no means "pro fascism". It's Heinlein's way to discuss various political ideas, such as moral history and politics. It comes across pro fascist because of the setting, which is by no means fascist at all. Not fascist in the Mussolini-sense, nor in the "violently oppress internal and external enemies"-sense.
Maybe in the weird, twisted "muh true fascisuhm"-way that Sup Forumstards seem to favour.

>Verhoeven: Look at how horrible those good looking, strong and brave soldiers are. Don't be a hero like them. Be a miserable, marxist freak of nature like us.

Jesus, you missed the entire point of the film: Violence begets violence.

Does it matter?

Paul Verhoeven movies are awesome.

Any other good satire/parody movies aka where they aren't "winking" at the camera with each joke?

By the way, is the book still available in store? Can't find it anywhere, and i tried in multiple countries...

I'm full sci-fi miliitary books currently, and finished some of the classics, but i'm missing Starshi troopers.

Whiter than you.

just download the pdf, heinlein is dead

ebay.co.uk/i/302605831139?chn=ps&adgroupid=49962975962&rlsatarget=pla-379145153426&abcId=1129946&adtype=pla&merchantid=9894104&poi=&googleloc=1006669&device=c&campaignid=974199341&crdt=0

Hate readind books on a screen. i need a paper version.

And i can't buy on the net right now.

The Federation launched a false-flag operation on Bueanos Aires to initiate an inter-galactic war with the Klendathu. The reason for this is to rally the proles against a perceived enemy while giving the state more power over their lives.

Klendathu dindu nuffin'

Yeah those bugs probably just wanted hugs

Hit your half price book stores, it's like military sci-fi is ignored right now.

Read the book. The moive sucks.

>Be retarded bugs that cannot into technology.
>Somehow have the capability to launch a rock into space at the right trajectory to hit a major Earth city without flaw.

All of those human lives wasted... and for what? To thin the herd?

The original book is a brilliant examination of a civic nationalist government thrown into war. It is about honor, duty and doing the right thing under impossible circumstances. The movie is a gorgeous pile of idiocy.
Example:
>book: No trooper left behind
>movie: Shoot someone for a broken toe

bug lives matter

>movie: Shoot someone for a broken toe
I think you misspelled two amputated legs, and wasn't that just part of the Roughneck-Leader-Guy's character arc?

That's where the brain bug comes in.

Post yours spic.

>you missed the entire point

I got it. It was stupid. Verhoeven completely failed to refute Heinlein.

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history that has any other factor, and the contrary opinion is wishful thinking at its worst. Breeds that forget this basic truth have always paid for it with their lives and their freedoms."
Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers.

>Violence begets violence

Are you a pacifist?

There are these places called "libraries".

Then download the pdf and print it out at your college or public library.

It was a parody of a book he only read five pages of because he hated it.

The entire point of funding this garbage was to ruin any discussion concerning the concept of citizenship that the book raises as now the only thing any pleb will think about is that shitty movie.

Spectacular novel, awful movie. Fuck the hack director who made it

>no qt space captain gf

>When Dina Meyer became one of the hottest milfs who ever lived

>What's Sup Forums's opinion on Starship Troopers?

I liked the part where they didn't sacrifice their high IQ people to the stock market.

The book was rather serious.
The movie was made corny as not to offend people's freedom ideals and precious sensibilities.

nvm, shes a goblin behind the makeup

I haven't seen this movie since it came out in theater. What is it about again? Why are humans waging war against other lifeforms?

Don’t know, but the more I watch it, the more I think it might be possible

Loved it.

Even if it's satire it's actually correct about citizenship. Voting is applying violence to others to get your will, and such power shouldn't just exist because you were born alone.

I rewatched this movie last week. It dawned on my that its fucking hilarious that Sup Forums shills this movie/(((book))) despite being a literal SJW trope shooting gallery.

>muh women leadership
>muh argentians are white
>muh overrepresented women roles (commander, fleet pilots, infantry grunts)
>muh NPH is a wizard

if nothing about this movie changed and it was magically released in 2018, you faggots would make it the shitpost meme of the year

To my knowledge it is not a parody or the book is not one. Robert A. Heinlein the author of starship troopers was militaristic.

I forgot to post this kino song from Starship Troopers 3.

youtube.com/watch?v=KIsv1YOFNys

This movie is very quotable. Whenever I fuck with my friends or we play a again where someone shows fear we all yell "ITS AFRAID. ITS AFRAID!"

The book was completely different than the movie, you retard. In the book there were no women in the infantry. And the guy who made the movie hated the book.

Those elements are treated as no big deal and the entire organization is meritocratic.

It's not like there's a weird obsession with making sure there's another message like with the new Star Wars movie or anything. The movie, even parodying the book, showed a merit based society that ignored identity politics.

There is no Starship Troopers 3. There's Starship Troopers, and that's it.

Books are for fags so absolute moot point, you festering vagina

The interesting parts are all from the book. The movie was intended to be a satire of fascism, but didn't entirely neglect the source material. The basic plot outline is the same, too.

The thing is that the book is no way pro-fascist. By making it a parody of fascism, the movie has mislead a lot of people into thinking fascism is awesome.

In the book, their government is a militant libertarian democracy. The closest real world equivalent was Rome in its very early days. The only resemblance to fascism is the militarism, but even then it's more like the wehrstaat idea than Hitler's Reich. Non-citizens enjoy more freedom than real American citizens do.

mfw Casper van dien has a 10/10 daughter
>good genes

>Books are for fags

Found him. Tell me more, tyrone

It's a play on Rome. Very enjoyable movie with many tiddies.

>What's Sup Forums's opinion on Starship Troopers?
Nationalist propaganda with some crappy, mystical, psychic ending.

NPH, boobies, and CGI are redeeming though.

Service guarantees citizenship, that should be a thing.

The book was deadly serious about service giving the right to govern. It's the central theme of the book really and makes a lot of sense. Why wouldn't the people with the most stake in the system be given full rights? Why should freeloaders make decisions for those of us with investments? We need to go back to property owners OR military service only having the right to vote IMO.

The movie was directed by the guy who did Robocop so it's pretty tongue in cheek.

It is so over-the-top fascist that it can't be anything else but a parody.
Also, the book was better.

What are you, a commie?!

She's aged amazingly well for almost 50.

Read the book. There's more to becoming a citizen than just serving in the military.

Is that the brain bug outpost shit?

It literary is though.

no, 2 is absolute wasteful shit. (outpost headbugs)
and 3 is low energy starship troopers 1, and i mean LOW ENERGY.
like they don't want to have a decent successor.

the movies is a parody, the book is a full advertisement

The other two movies were convoluted as fuck. I unironically enjoyed the mind bugs more than the travels of Mohammad.

more white than you muhammed

storywise perhaps. they just hired extremely shit actors or an extremely shit director to shoot that movie.
>kek travels of muhammad
only reason i like 3 better is cos of 'le goynny rico' reappearing. but that's really it..

Saw a thread a while back where a guy hinted at being in this movie and saying he had to keep his views to himself if he wanted to maintain good lifestyle in the biz.
>Hint: it was Rico

The movie is made in a way to come off as Propaganda. It's over the top, exciting, it minimizes the casualties in favor of over emphasizing the heroic and the powerful and the exciting. It's to make you feel "Hell yeah, I want that!" and to make you clap and cheer and, if bugs were invading, join up. Take for instance the Brain Bug. "It's afraid" is normally suppose to be the humanizing moment where we realize "Oh no, maybe we were doing to them what we feared them doing to us, they're just like us all along!" but instead, they all cheer that they've struck so fiercely that the enemy is in complete disarray and a state of absolute fear. Now imagine the bugs as being an extreme dehumanization of another group of people, regarding them as savages who can't be TOO dangerous, and far from being human. You're merely defending yourself from an inhuman, bug like threat, not a second thought whether it's bad or not, killing anything with more than two legs is either neutral or good!
It's propaganda to the extreme.

Of course "Propaganda is bad!", but I think most of us take from the movie more than the "Intended" message. If the enemy were a group of people rather than bugs, the merits of the governing style would be disregarded immediately as being cruel and imperialistic, but, with the emotional response of "But those are people!" taken out of the equation, people are more willing to think about and judge the system by it's own merits, regardless of it's cruelty to those outside the nation.