When did bottled water become a thing, what did they do before bottled water?

When did bottled water become a thing, what did they do before bottled water?

Drank water from canteens or glasses probably.

The kicker is Aquafina is regular aqueduct water from local municipalities. Owned by Pepsico

just drinking clean tap water, spring water, well water.

Water you talking about?

It started back in the 1800s with snake oil salesmen selling bottled 'mineral water' to wealthy but stupid people (usually women).
That quickly declined in the early 1900s when chlorination of municipal water became a thing.
It picked up again in the late 60s/early 70s with those hot/cold water dispensers in businesses with the cone shaped paper cups you had to hold or throw away.
Perrier launched a new American ad campaign in 1977, and bottled water came to be viewed as a luxury item.
In the late 90s, when the youngest Millennials hit the age of majority, overpriced yet relatively cheap shit like Starbucks, bottled water, designer bagels, and 'craft' beer suddenly became status symbols for the (relatively) poor.

I'll never forget this one Millennial cunt I worked with telling me how she figured out that her and her husband could actually afford to buy a house if they just stopped buying Starbucks and Einstein's bagels every fucking day on the way to work--they were spending over $700 a month on coffee and bagles, no joke.
Parting with bottled water would have saved another $400, but she wasn't willing to sacrifice that much.
And this was in 2004.

>spending over $700 a month on coffee and bagles

>spending over $700 a month on coffee and bagles

Just Millennial Things.

yeah those fags work from the coffee bar and live in a fucking van (#vanlife)

JUST

That pic is from a story about how those two potheads live in a van because they can't afford a home.

NOT kidding.

dehydrated water in pouches

you had to wait until it rained then run around with a glass to fill it up

kek :)

water collection from rain was a thing, but you want to catch the water before it hits the ground :P

People just didn't drink a lot of water before bottled water was available. Mostly beer, soda, and milk.

Well water. I think its why i still feel human feelings

I would definitely buy a Keurig, a toaster, and a bag of bagels and save myself about 80% of that.

Topkek

Kek, but it made us stronger.

>what are averages

People had thermos and canteens, but people weren't fucking obsessed about it like they were traveling the Mohave when they were just going to the fucking mall for an hour.

If you were thirsty, you sucked it up or found a water fountain. Restaurants would even give people glasses of water if they asked.

Carried a camel around and used its humps

>aunt had a well
>mfw it turned out to be contaminated by her septic tank

You could get free water at any restaurant. Now they charge you for ozone-tasting bilge in a plastic bottle.

>what did they do before bottled water?

What is still done today: finish a bottle of maple syrup, wash out the bottle and lid thoroughly, fill with water, profit.

Fits like a flask in my pocket.

Bottled water adds salt to make you thirstier so you drink more water

i have a clean natural spring on my property.
it's safe to drink were it comes out of the rocks.
down the road is a pipe sticking out of a rock bluff with spring water shooting out of it.
reading the history of the area says that they used that spring since the early 1800's. people still stop and fill gallon jugs everyday