What the fuck is the big deal about Kimi No Na Wa?

Watched this just earlier today on the recommendation of a friend who was gushing over it. I was less than impressed.

Then I took a look on its Wikipedia page and was utterly flabbergasted to find pic-related. The normie masses were this "wow"ed by babby's first time travel romance?

Shinkai pander to normalfags.

In no particular order:

>good plot
>characters actually acted like humans instead of robots
>good casting and voice acting
>twist is pretty good
>excellent visuals and music timing
>ends on a satisfying note

If I remember correctly, it has outsold every single Miyazaki film now and is one of the best sellers of all time for anime films.

> on the recommendation of a friend who was gushing over it
> was utterly flabbergasted to find pic-related
>normie
Fuck off to wherever you came from, you cancerous newfag piece of shit.

/thread

Its pretty mediocre but it panders to the normalfags' emotional state of mind.

It's vanilla as shit and closer to a disney cartoon than other anime

also, fuck off normeddit

He's right though

Only retards love this sort of shit movie

Then why don't you love it?

Its visually impressive if all you care about is animation. So its basically like most of Miyazakis movies since those hardly ever have anything but their visuals either. In fact, Kimo no na wa has more plot and character depth that the vast majority of Miyazakis films. It could have been an unprecedented masterpiece, but then it didn't stop after 60 minutes and started to go full fucking retard.

I don't give a shit if he's right or wrong, he's a casual faggot who didn't know about a hugely popular anime that people have talked about every day for a year now. He needs to fuck off to wherever he came from.

You're right, other anime is much much worse

it's great that their sexual trope filters are working to keep anime casuals at bay

I prefer to see them as stand-ins for substance and creativity, as opposed to filters, but you do you

It's not bad but it was disappointing considering the praise it got
And the asspull was badly executed

Its a movie anybody can walk in and enjoy pretty well. Its a simply love story that anybody can enjoy.
Sure it doesn't have niche appeal and will probably be forgotten about by most people in a couple years but its still a very worthwhile film. Not to mention its visually impressive.

I prefer to see picky watchers as uncultured, as opposed to refined, but you do you

>flabbergasted
Why do most people who use this word always come off as a huge faggot?

The deal is that it's a normalfag movie with great production values and a happy ending.

There's nothing cultured about being a sex-starved otaku into trashy dickbait shows

sex, not violence, makes things more adult
sorry to burst your teenager bubble

Koe no Katachi was a better anime than Kimi no Na wa.

So it's a generic film that looks pretty like every anime film looks pretty?
It's boring and the only parts that were interesting were the few fanservice scenes

This is categorically and demonstrably false.

>normie
You need to go back, faggot.

KnK enraged me due to everyone acting autistic.

Counterpoint; they're both great but Your Name is grander and more breathtaking

I went to the movie theatre when it came out and liked it. Don't be such a bitter cunt.

>most of Miyazakis movies since those hardly ever have anything but their visuals either
>it could have been an unprecedented masterpiece, but then it didn't stop after 60 minutes and started to go full fucking retard

>panders to the normalfags' emotional state of mind.
Which would be?

Nice blog there nigger.
>normie
>not knowing already KnN's success already

Its the most successful Japanese film of all time, by a huge margin, thank China for that.
If anything, this cements the fact that the Japanese anime industry is quickly becoming bigger than its film & TV series industries combined.

People who don't romanticize nihilism and are able to form healthy long-lasting emotional bonds with other human beings
It's not surprising otaku are so bitter over the movie

Ignoring how idiotic it is to use generic as a criticism, how the fuck could you even justify calling this movie generic?

that's false because Sup Forums said anime is dying

The irony is that anime would be dying if it weren't for the international market.
So Sup Forums's existence and popularity is partly why anime is not dead. Also look at r/anime's subscriber count history, its growing like crazy.

Wew sure feels like summer in here

spoken like a true dumb millennial

How good are the visuals ? Is it as good as, say, Redline ?

you have to go back

Gen Y is actually chock full of lonely tech-savvy idiots, unable to interface properly with the world around them. If anything, the people I describe are the typical millennials.

Please don't make threads about this normalfag movie.

Hey, another one of these threads.
You're all fucking morons, I hope you are well aware of that.

Do you faggots really care if what you're watching can be construed as something for normalfags? Why does it matter? It's as stupid as people hating shit for being popular. Outsiders have nothing to do with the movie/show so shut the fuck up about other people and talk about them on their own terms.

real talk, it's a boring ass movie for virgins that think they know everything about life despite them being really young

like get over yourselves, seriously

I hope with Kimi and Koe no Katachi's success a new age of anime movies is ushered in.

Flying Witch > Sansha Sanyou > Shit > Anne Happy

For what it's worth, the characters actually got a good bit of depth to them for such a short film, which made them interesting and easier to root for. Give me those two over self-insert LN protagonist niggers any day.

It's a nice movie about self-discovery, searching for purpose, and taking control of your fate. It also has two likable, well-acted leads, the animation is really good, the story takes an interesting turn halfway through and ends on a positive note that isn't overly saccharine. I also really liked the way it dealt with dreams and déjà vu. It was just a comfy and relatable movie.

Anne Happy > Flying Witch > Shit > Sansha Sanyou

Because it reminded you of yourself?
Don't get me wrong, KnK was also a terrible movie. It didn't get the same kind of praise that Your Name did, though, so it's not really subject to the same criticism.

"Grander"? Literally babby's first time-travel romance lmao

Fuck off crossboarder

>"Grander"?
Yes. In scope, scale, and presentation.

>normie
fuck off disgusting subhuman
though I agree with you

Word of mouth always had a strong effect. Add the magic of memes in the internet age and you'll get "hype" which can literally make any mediocre content a bestseller. As for the awards and the critics, their opinions are worthless.

Literally entry-level time travel romance

lel, he is right. It is way worse than the hype it gets from normies.

Say "literally" again, bitch

And? Entry-level has nothing to do with quality. Talk about the actual content, assuming you have anything to say about that. Also, learn what literally means.

I'm going to think of you when I buy the BD

>entry level has nothing to do with quality
Really?

Well, I can't speak for the "normie masses", hipsterfag, but how about I share what I liked about it?

>the drawings and animation are beautiful
>the protagonists are both human, understandable characters that actually feel real
>said protagonists are also given a nice deal of depth for a movie
>the relationship between the two builds steadily and in an enjoyable manner
>the twist is one of those punches that feels like it came out of nowhere, but was really hinted at the whole time
>the supernatural elements of the film doesn't impact the reality in a way that makes it feel "less" real
>the ending is just right; not overly mushy or retarded, but satisfying regardless

Not gonna lie, I fucking adored that movie despite being a negative, hopeless-feeling asocial asshole. I don't give a shit about what rewards it got or didn't get. I liked it, and that's what matters to me. You didn't like it, and that's all that should matter to you. Don't get assmad because you didn't like it while a lot of normies liked it; hipsters are retarded.

Yes. A lot of factors can make something entry-level. For example, I know several people who got into anime because Casshern Sins played on Toonami or whatever the fuck. Are you going to go act like that show is terrible now because it was aired on American TV for normalfags to watch?

I thought the gags were ok but when everyone in the theater laughed it made me not like it because they weren't appreciating the comedy on the intuitive level of Japanese culture. Ultimately this led me to not liking the movie as much either. Too much normalfags enjoying the movie for all the wrong reasons made me question if this movie was a genuine piece of work, or merely a quasi-Japanese film intended to appeal to westerners because it's foreign.

meh.

Wanted to post to second this, actually. Pokemon is an "entry-level" RPG and monster-catch-and-train game. That doesn't mean that it's bad, by any stretch of the word.

>Too much normalfags enjoying the movie for all the wrong reasons made me question if this movie was a genuine piece of work, or merely a quasi-Japanese film intended to appeal to westerners because it's foreign.
Alright, then judge for yourself. Think about your standards for a "quality movie". Did it meet them?

no, it's a flick draped in pretenses to make it look "deeper" than it actually is

All art is pretense

This is what happened if anime reach normalfags

Could you elaborate on this?

>All millennial art is pretense
Watch Evangelion.

If that's your first reference point for art, you might need to do a little more homework

>muh red string of fate
>muh natural disaster to make an allusion to 3/11
>muh "social divide" between urbanites and those in the inaka
>muh shintoism
Shinkai just threw a bunch of shit at the wall and it worked

It already did with Ghibli, Hosoda, and in one or two cases, Shinkai as well.

Would you want to rethink your example? It seems you've typed something that runs counter to your point and such mistakes can be understandably frustrating. I'm sure you'd be allowed to revise that because it was frankly really embarrassing.

I wasn't talking about art in the first place, and it was in the context of art in anime, not art as a whole. brought up art.

All human expression through a medium is art, dummy. The term denotes purpose and form, not quality.

Absolutely not, Redline is a far better movie than Your Name in the visuals aspect.

I'm sorry, by elaboration, I meant that you went in-depth about why you believed what you were saying. I wasn't asking for a vapid response cluttered with the misuse of the greentext function and an unhealthy dose of reductionism. Sorry for the confusion.

>tfw no body swapping gf

>tfw you get to enjoy Koe no Katachi, Kimi no Na wa, and Mary to Majo no Hana all in one year

Not an argument. Not surprised your nameshitters can't properly defend their shit normie-bait anime.

FAR better? Dang, ya think?

Here, let me summarize Evangelion, then.
>muh robots
>muh emotionless robot and tsundere waifu
>muh "sensitive" protagonist
>muh apocalypse
>muh jizz all over my comatose classmate
>muh asshole dad who ruins everything

Anything can sound stupid the way you put it.

How could there be a defense when there was no attack that was worth a damn?

Poor attempts at challenging the objective opinion.

>objective opinion

>Mary to Majo no Hana
Literally what

[hollow elitism intensifies]

Difference is Evangelion is polarizing which automatically means it's deeper and sparks more thoughtful conversation even to this day while KnnW really doesn't have anything to talk about because it's shallow and unmemorable.

>objective opinion

Piss Christ was polarizing. That doesn't make it good.

not!Ghibli movie made by Ghibli staff

How can you people expect to have any kinds of discussions if all you have to say about the movie is "it's bad because I said so"? Can't you apes explain yourselves or are your thoughts just that shallow that you can't justify why you dislike it?

Piss Christ looks amazing though unless you're a christfag

>unmemorable
So you're blaming the movie for your shitty memory?

No. It's kitsch and a shallow exercise in provocation.

>"Grander"? Literally babby's first time-travel romance lmao

That doesn't refute his statement though and the statement itself isn't a negative. Objectively speaking, Kimi no na wa is grander than KnK because they were both made to be different types of films.

No the movie was just not outstanding enough to merit me caring enough to remember it. Don't get it confused, I remember what happened in the movie but by memorable I mean it's not something I will fondly remember years from now. It's not timeless.

It's the Despacito of anime