STEM IS NOT A GOOD CHOIC-

oh and pol btfo

Enjoy having your job outsourced to Bangalore.

Being in "tech" and living in one of these cities I can assure you they either have a vary narrow criteria for "tech worker" or are straight lying

start job hopping you idiot

also, support/it is not tech

pol is hiding in shame

Lol show me what "Tech" means. I guarantee that shit is the average between R&D Master's/PhD level positions and a bunch of bachelors plebs with salaries 50-75k

you realize that it's 'STEAM' now right? and I'm not kidding

wtf does the a stand for?

-E

JUST FUCK MY SHIT UP

Autism

>living in paris and not being a moky

Don't trust an article where they literally can't get a single location correct on a map

> making $110k/year
> live in a suburb of Portland
> buying a 4 bedroom house for $266k
> being groomed for a promotion to $125 or $130k
> NB4 "ur larping!!"

Suck it, Trebek

Kek. London and France can kiss my fucking ass. Sounds like the beginning of a song.

> start job hopping you idiot

This.

I went from $45k in 2005 to $47.5k in 2009 then laid off in a bulk layoff because of the fucking economy. Got a six week severance for my 4 years.

Got a job mid 2009 for $45k. Next job in 2011 at $60k. Next job 2012 at $75k. Next job 2014 at $89k. Next job 2015 at $96k. Next job 2017 at $110k. If I don't get this promotion I'll probably leave this summer for a job at $130k.

IT and construction celebrate this shit

>135k global average
>mfw I get 14k a year as a mechanical engineer after working a year

Yep, so good to be Hungarian.

>buying a house in portland
Obviously you don't care what life your children will lead. Have fun when your son cuts off his dcik and your daughter marries an illegal to save him from ICE

NORTH AMERICA NEEDS TRADE WORKERS

Never worked with Hungarian engineers. How is it over there other than the low pay? As long as yall are not as shitty as the french you ok in my book

what's wrong with canada, why are they making so little

Fuck the numbers, do you have good standard of living?
If so then it is fine.

STEM is always a good choice if you can hack it. That being said, that salary in those type of places will feel the same as a guy that makes 40k a year outside of a city.

The line that says Austin is pointing at Dallas

More
The Latest: Vice President Mike Pence and his wife did not stand for the combined Korean team’s entrance.

Tech jobs are being given to more women and minorities these days. Good luck getting a tech job as a white guy in a pozzed profession for betas

Honestly pisses me off seeing people talk about the economy, can't get no jobs, millennials cant do this blah blah blah.

Quit being an entitled cunt for a year and go dig some holes, start building a house, retards can get trade jobs and make a killing doing it.

Sadly a nihilistic and post modern culture made not fun jobs not worth doing so everyone wants a cushy education.

SLIDE THREAD NOT POLITICAL FUCK OFF JEWNIGGER.

/pol is being raided and OPs post is a Jewnigger raid post.

>> making $110k/year

After federal, state, county, muncipal taxes in PDX you're taking home $40,000 max.

>> live in a suburb of Portland
So you're in Hillsburrito. Congratulations. A modest improvement over Sacramento.

>> buying a 4 bedroom house for $266k
That has paper-thin walls, black mold, roaches, and needs $175,000 in upgrades to be liveable for someone used to life outside of a 60,000 unit apartment complex or cinderblock Section 8 housing.

>> being groomed for a promotion to $125 or $130k

wow, a ~4% raise. barely keeping up with inflation. and welcome to your new life...

".... Ah, ah, I almost forgot... I'm also going to need you to go ahead and come in on Sunday, too. We, uhhh, lost some people this week and we sorta need to play catch-up. Mmmmmkay? Thaaaaaanks. I'm going to need those TPS reports... ASAP... ...So, if you could do that, that would be great."
That is, assuming any of this is true which on 4chins, is doubtful.
>> NB4 "ur larping!!"

Get out of my state. You aren't even native.

>Austin
Put it on the map where Dallas is

LOL what an angst filled teenage faggot.

>Toronto tech workers getting paid as much as my dad that paints floors in a power plant and lives a few hours away in cheapsville, Michigan.

How the fuck does this work?

Are you retarded?

110k to 115 is 13.6%
His take home pay is way more than 40k. That would be a 64% tax rate.

As a B.S. chemist I could at most make $40k per year (started at $32k out of school.) Got my M.S. and my top end ballooned to an incredible $55k per year (oh I only make about $45k though)!! Only 6 years of work after high school to earn what a union factory worker with zero education makes. Wow STEM was a great choice when I could've actually enjoyed the best part of my youth. Thanks for the advice, Sup Forums!

It stands for 'art.' There's also 'STREAM' where the R stands for 'religion.'
Nobody takes either of these terms seriously, it's just a way for retards to think they're special and as smart as a mathematician or physicist without having to expend any effort.

>working in tech
>awful working conditions
>awful people
>awful hours
>corporate wankery to the extreme
>no freedom for the worker in any way
>no proper education standards so the market is being staffed by Chinese and Indian workers who work for almost nothing compared to western workers

I started out doing programming for EMC/VMware but decided to move onto programming PLC's since the actual amount of PLC programmers who know anything other than ladder is tiny.
Now I'm an Automation engineer, making a pretty similar salary to what I could've previously expected, but that's excluding the money I make from travelling to various manufacturing plants since they pay me for the hours spent travelling but don't officially include it in my salary. So I pretty much make money for sleeping at a hotel, go to the plant in the morning, conclude if whatever they're having problems with needs to be replaced or can be repaired, get paid to fly home in the evening.
Tech is a bubble, take a line of work that's actually engineering.

Welcome to Orygun. Trust me, with all the bites of the apple including all the nibbles from every possible bloated bureaucracy begging for his nickle, that's about right. But I'm talking to a child so what do you know.

Programming and IT in St Louis is like 10 years behind the rest of the country. A lot of people leave for $$$ and never come back.

Its sad but hey, where is there actually a good place to work in tech? All the high wage cities seem to be shitholes.

Yeah they are all shitholes, I am stick in Austin and it sucks.

I want to move to a small town but working in tech limits those options.

See living here, you hear all these great things about places like Portland, Austin, Denver, Nashville, etc.

Somehow idk they'd live up to the hype.

If you are young and a bar hopper type then Austin and the places listed are great.

Otherwise it is all overrated garbage.

>young

Do young people move there, make money and get drunk, then leave after 5 years?

Vantucky not Hillsburrito. That's why my home is so cheap. Schools are better too. Lower crime. Lower property taxes. Better roads. Fewer hobos mingling around. Almost non existent gang/graffiti culture (our gangs are Russian car thieves and sex slaves so they keep a low profile)

I net a little over $1600/week after taxes and insurance, which is a little over $80k net. I don't know where you got the $40k from.

I don't work Sundays and would never go in on a weekend. Shit I'm telecommuting right now.

Cry about it more.

>stem is not a good choice
When has Sup Forums ever held that opin-- you know what, nevermind. Fuck off, Brock. Now I'm gonna look for that thread what's being slid.

What position do you hold/work do you do?

the power plant is actually useful.

STEM and Trade Schools are both great options for real working men. Your other options are wage slave beta soon to be replaced by robots or useless welfare nog to be replaced by generation z economics. Sort yourself out.

BI engineer. Being groomed to be either a software principal or data architect.

Currently working for a trucking company but previous employers have included retail, telecom and finance.

Data is a great gig if you can get into it. It's a little tough learning the basics and pays way less than actual app dev. But the platform/language/fundamentals don't change. SQL is SQL and is always SQL. App devs have to learn a new language every couple years, hardware/systems guys have to learn new changes every couple years.

Plus, data is a safe job even in recession, and the US private sector only outsourced data overseas once in our history. Just once. This happened when all the banks were merging. India derped and accidentally lost millions of accounts during data migrations, costing billions in lost revenue/debt collection. Russia/Ukraine did a better job but sold the details on the dark web. So systems and app dev get outsourced all the time, but companies keep their data governance in house now.

Yes. Hence the lack of community or purpose other than establishing a career or reputation, making some money, showing off, and moving on to a real, established life somewhere more realistic and sustainable.

Note they say "average" and not "median".

Averages are inflated by that one person who's family owns the company and gets millions of dollars in pay, washing out the 10 people making 50K

>Toronto
>Economically viable in any way
Lol no

Trade schools are a great idea. I was urging my oldest kid to do this. He joined the army instead. But he's going combat medic route so when he gets out he'll probably be an EMT or a nurse.

He doesn't want a boring desk job like his old man.

this is how it is in the U.S. also and it's getting worse with the whole STEAM thing now with Arts being included. Within 10 years good luck getting a job as a white male in any stem field

Ugh. That's not Portland, Oregon. It's the wrong Vancouver. That isn't even a real place. Dark, wet, depressing, only thing happening is counting cars on I5 bridge and watching the birds shit. Also, $80k if you're a reddit shut-in.

Drive for more than 20 min a day and live an active life and watch the dollars disappear. I know. Mt. Tabor here.

>Within 10 years good luck getting a job as a white male in any stem field
You know what the fun thing about applied technology is? You need capable people or your shit will break or not work. There's only a limited amount of PR hires you can make before your profit margin goes down the drain.

You do have to be careful to consider housing costs as well.

Amazon reached out to me, offered me $135k/year, plus $15k signing bonus and $15k moving expenses, with a promise of $25k/year bonus and free stock with every bonus.

Sounded like a sweet deal until I saw that houses in Seattle proper are crazy expensive. Like I'm paying $266k for my 4 bed in Vancouver. Comparable homes in Seattle are literally $1 million dollars what the fucking fuck. By the time I found comparably priced houses it was over 50 miles outside of the city.

I'm either looking at a 20-30% net loss after housing, or an additional 2-3+ hours commuting every day. And Amazon doesn't like it when you telecommute.

Fuck that shit.

Work in trades. Making a killing is a meme. They always try to sell up how much you'll make to.
In parts of the US beaners have collapsed wages in those industries.

>tfw engineer with a masters degree
>tfw make way less than the average in my area
>tfw it's probably all the poos with H1B visas living in the city making shitty retarded apps and enterprise applications for their poo managers

>In parts of the US beaners have collapsed wages in those industries.
Are they even doing a job worth paying for? I mean, I get why you'd hire Sanchez to do the job for half the pay, but what good does it if it breaks two weeks later.

>working
Youtubers and twitch streamers make what you earn in a month.

The downside everyone overlooks is having to live in any of those cities.

Yeah the quality sucks but they have managers who make their jobs as fool proof as possible on an assembly line and they act like obedient retards

I'd rather starve to death than work as a IT soyboy faggot.

Are you actually a democrat?

Vancouver has a bad rep. I didn't want to move here. But it's actually really chill.

Like I said, schools are better. Houses are cheaper. Crime is lower. There's not nearly as many cute or eclectic restaurants and bars. We have a lot of fucking strip malls and franchise food so that's a downside. But there's hella farmers markets and they're all waaaaay cheaper than Portland farmer markets. Probably because they're actual farmers, not greedy hippies.

You learn to make your home the cute eclectic place. Shop around and find fancy microbrews and drink at home. Get a good bbq and pans. Learn to cook decent.

I'm saving so much more money because I make a nicer food/bar atmosphere at home than any of these fucking franchises here. So you get used to that.

Our neighbors are all super cool, so we just hang out with them instead of bar flies.

It works. It's a good life. People have no idea but Vancouver is actually a huge upgrade from Portland.

The funny thing is when Portlanders call me a hick or redneck because I live here. It's like, dude. We legalized gay marriage before you. We legalized weed before you. Our schools are fully funded. Our cops aren't under constant federal investigation for beating hobos to death or dealing heroin. And we can buy booze at the grocery store because our government trusts us to be fucking grown ups.

my penis is 11 inches long i make 250 thousand dollars as the manager at wendys

>tfw I only make $30k a year at walmart that I've been working at for 13 years

just waiting to die at this point.

Already had some exposure to the trades. 18 hours in the texas heat surrounded by spics and white meth heads. No thanks.

Yea but I don't like hippies or whiny SJWs. Really more of a left leaning centrist I guess.

I tend to vote Dem for Senate/president, and Republican for local offices.

I don't know why I keep coming here. Glutton for punishment I guess.

> NB4 some larper threatens to hang me on "the Day of the Rope" lol

>boss is redpilled
>is a hunter
>has a luger pistol
>doesn't hire muslims
>mfw scored a bingo in IT

You can easily get a 60-70k starting wage in many areas...

Source: Not living in mom's basement

>Vancouver
Be careful, niggers are moving there en masse.

Oh I know. But I live in a good neighborhood. They're moving into apartments

Wow why even work if you’re Canadian or yuropeon?

I don't think you're a hick. Not at all. Just that place is a bit dark, damp, and depressing is all. Any small town whose connection to the interstate is vital for its success generally is a bit lackluster.

Farmer's markets anywhere near a city are cash bait for idiots, granted. I hope you have a big yard and enjoy the life there - a bit too slow for me. Get down to Cannon beach if you have yet to do so. Thank me later.

Eventually, the market is going to be oversaturated with STEM majors with bachelors. Plus STEM is going to be affected by automation like the rest of us.

So big govt. Is your thing? I'm a newfag myself, and I thought this was where the alt right hung out. But scrolling through all of these posts, I keep reading and seeing all types of people here. I'm a small govt. Guy personally.

kys and lurk moar

But women have their own STEM
(Shopping, Talking, Embroidery and Maternity)

>mdw $70k first job out of college as a mediocre software engineer
99% of people who FUD STEM are jealous business majors who were too retarded to pass basic calculus, let alone high-level abstract math classes.
The best part is if I ever get bored of programming I have recruiters in finance contacting me all the time to be an analyst for them because they know STEM people are on average 30 IQ points above business and communication majors. STEM degrees are all about versatility: I can get hired in other sectors. Non-STEM people can’t get hired into STEM roles without getting certifications outside of school.

I recently signed myself in for a bachelor in Chemistry

did I make a bad choice, Sup Forums?

Yeah I also did chemistry. Total waste. Only people in my graduating class that still do it are Ph.D.s. Everyone else just opened up a small business or married a wealthy significant other.

If you don’t stick around and get your PhD then it’s dumb. My cousin has a bs in chem and is locked into making under $80k for life basically. In the yuromarket this probably means you’ll be making like 10k a year or something. However getting that doctorate means you can do a LOT. There will never be a surplus of phd chemists

It’s a waste dude. Just to some computer nerd shit. Way more versatile.

I'm doing a professional bachelor, not an academic one. Should I just become a chemical engineer? Is there anything in Biology that earns well?
I don't want to be a code monkey

There’s legit chemistey Ph.D.s who run social media stuff for start ups because they’re not needed for lab stuff. Shit is a total waste outside of perpetuating itself at this point. Unless you like dealing with shit head college students or being ass fucked in the private sector you should really just avoid it.

>science
>technology
>engineering
>art
>mathematics
One of these things is not like the other

You’re going to have to learn to code anyway eventually nigger you might as well get paid well to do so.

> So big govt. Is your thing?

Not necessarily. Don't generalize people.

I'm a capitalist more than anything else. I believe very strongly in the great spirit of American entrepreneurialism. But I believe everyone should compete to see who offers the best services. If the government can do a better job than the private sector, fuck it, let the government do it.

I used to fight forest fires. The USFS does a better job fighting fire than private sector crews. So, I support the USFS being funded so they can do their job. The military does a better job than mercenaries like Blackwater. So, I support the military.

To that end, I'm pretty sure that if we ditched HMOs, raised my taxes to about what I pay now for HMO insurance, and just told hospitals to deal directly with the government and leave me the fuck out of the billing process .. I suspect it'd be a better system than what we have now.

I don't categorically believe all government services are bad and only private sector organizations can and should provide all services to all Americans. Fuck it. Let the government make bids. If they can outperform a private sector enterprise, then so be it.

Yeah I chose STEM, now I'm an overworked code monkey nonperson. Just another gear.

Doesn't matter what profession you do, tradesmen, engineer, retail/food, everyone is overworked and replaceable.

No. Its an extremely versatile major that serves as a defacto proof of genius level IQ on resumes etc.

You can easily take what you learn toward professional fields of medicine, engineering, as well as higher ed in chem, physics, eng and med.

You also will be forced to become familiar with computer science, stats/data analytics and hardware/software/embedded programming. You will have to become an expert w/Excel and that skill alone is a prerequisite for getting hired anywhere.

Without technology and science the mankind will perish but left leaning liberals can't seem to grasp that simple concept and invest their time and money into something more worthless like "gender studies" and "liberal arts" which will gain nothing for the future generations
the human race truly is doomed carrying all these burdens/special snowflake or whatever they like to define themselves

What part of "I don't want to be a code monkey" did you not understand, nigger?

>not fun
Sure beats sitting in a chain among the office bugmen for me, no matter the temperatures.

I'm already pretty good with Stats and Excel so I guess I have that going for me.

STEM will only be a viable option once the H1B visa program is ended (or seriously curtailed) and all the poos are deported.

>go to small state school in shit state
>get computer science degree

>can't get a job other than tech support making 12 an hour cause my school isn't prestigious enough and/or i don't have the right connects

That means you have nothing going for you.

That is entry level not really a skill stuff.

Another question

Is biochemistry a good idea? I can do that in my second year

Is chemical engineering a good idea?

And lastly

Should I try and get into medicine?

>Already had some exposure to the trades. 18 hours in the texas heat surrounded by spics and white meth heads. No thanks.

Should've joined an actual reputable contractor or gone union instead of Cletus' small town shop. We pay our helpers (brand new to the field) $40k a year, apprentices (worked for a few months + signed up for apprenticeship classes) $55k, and journeymen $75k+ with 401k, 2 weeks paid vacation, health + dental insurance, etc.

^ oh look it's an Australian weighing in on the US economy