>Adult woman screaming as she dies
>Sub: "No father please, I won't do it again"
>Dub: "Daddy no, I'll be a good girl"

>Rub-a-dub, thanks for the grub!

>subs translate hanbaagu suteiku as salisbury steak

>Through the dark lord. Amen

>subs is done by Sup Forums

that's accurate

I know, I posted that because OP's example is accurate as well.

>subs translate 'keikaku' as 'plan'

>subs translate rub a dub dub thanks for the grub to thanks for the food

How else are you gonna translate basically untranslatable expression?

>subs translate "pinch" as "trouble" or "tight spot"

Name 1 anime where this happens

>sub translate spell names

>character says "onii-chan"
>subs say his name

>character calls someone surname-san
>subs use first name

yamato nadeshiko = perfect wife
itadakimasu = itadakimasu

That's an effort to make the translation sound like actual English. It's the same reason they translate a person's name as "you" even though when nips speak they rarely actually say "you", they just say the name of the person they're talking to. Trying to preserve the exact way of addressing people that is used in Japanese makes for a much worse translation unless you're catering to a market of weebs who think they know Japanese. So I guess maybe that's a good argument for leaving it how it is in Japanese...

Since itadakimasu seems to be something said before every meal, i would say it's equivalent to "Bon appétit" (or whatever Anglos say, I'm French)

this is an english- and occasional japanese-language board, please refrain from using diacritics

Diacritics are this: é ?
If they weren't allowed, they would ban them, like they do on /r9k/. So you can go fuck yourself.

I TOLD YOU NOT TO USE THEM

>subs translate keikaku to keikaku
>"Note: keikaku means plan"

ééééééééééééééééééééé???!!??!??!?

/r9k/ would be an exception anyway because of the oregano filter.

you're going to have to buy me a new phone if you cause this one to break

Not the same exact thing, but in Getter Robo Armageddon the professor yells "SO LONG" in engrish, in the dub they switched it to "SAYONARA"

after war gundam X

Cory in the House

>subs translate "itadakimasu" to "bon appetite"

Not really, Papa is also an english word that means the same thing in English as it does Japanese.

Hamburger Steak is japanese terminology for a word that means something different. Kind of like how you would have to translate "Viking" into "Buffet".

That would actually be an accurate translation of the term.

>not translating it as "rub a dub dub, thanks for the grub!"
Plebs these days, I swear.

What do you mean?
>character says onii-chan
>sub says fucking nigger

youtube.com/watch?v=AcEY2EcQeZY

Stop putting spaces before your question mark, dumb frog

>ironic shitposting to avoid having to commit to an actual position

>character name is Ringo
>translated to Apples

>characters having a conversation
>subs appear to be a transcript of one of hitler's speeches
>new scene, just shows some forest scenery
>subs just keep going on about exterminating jews

>characters use english words for spells or name
>french dub translates the english words but leave the japanese words as they are

In Casshern Sins? Seriously?

Ăŕț ţhőų úp§ěť?

>subs
>he still doesn't know Japanese
What's your excuse, you pathetic waste of space?

>subs translate ancient nip shinto voodoo incantation as pic related

>diacritics
I didn't even know that was the name. Though I get a sense of déjà vu. Anyways I'm sure you have a better raison d'être than playing cliché backseat mods nazi.

It is, and that honestly is the best translation. You see it every now and then.

Isnt that a song by Disturbed?

You don't.

>MC interprets 'sister' as 'semen receptacle'

Those are literally synonyms.

> Translator's note: Keikaku means plan

>limeys and burgers don't even have a word to wish someone a good meal
Fucking pottery right there

> What is grace
Oh that's right culture is a hate crime now.

Grace is thanking the lord you have food, not an irreligious wish those who are eating with you enjoy their food.

> Irreligious
nice meme.

Good luck finding a religious reference in bon appétit and itadakimasu.

> Believing that anyone or anything needs to hear what you have to say before eating
Nice faith desu.

Did you know faith is necessary in both science and appernticeship? Can you stop being 12 now?
Why are you so mad? Do you actually think your country's food sucks? It was just a joke you know.

>MC interprets 'warning shot' as 'instant kill'

>in the dub
>Not the same exact thing
Not even remotely the same thing. English dubs rewrite lines entirely all the time.

> MC interprets "Never betray anyone" as betray everyone

>MC interprets "Yeah...sorry" as an argument to grant full amnesty to a war criminal

That is a good translation. It keeps intact the switch of native language for the audience.

Glad I'm not the only one who thought Nanaba sounded oddly sexual in the dub. God, the dub sucked.

>character replies with "hai"
>subbed as a complete grammatical reply

How exactly is that wrong?

They also don't have words for "first/last day of school" although they do have "graduation" and "matriculation", which is not quite the same concept.

youtube.com/watch?v=SxJ4VWoeOzs

Pronouns are much less important in Japanese and more rarely used compared to English.

Literal translations would sound wonky as hell, so some liberties are taken to make it sound more natural in English.

Changing surname to first name is not "making it sound more natural", it's just being retarded.

>Character uses the honorific "chan" to refer to another
>Subs use some made up nickname

Yes it is, as the japanese's use of first name basis is must more limited than ours as western people. Other there only your close family and best friends will call you by name. Hell someties even they don't and just recently in Kado there were those two characters from upper middle class who had a kid together and still called one another "Surname-san". But that would just sound weird in the west. I think that, unless the setting justifies it (royalty and the life), a downgrade of Keigo is in order. Not a negation of it, but a downgrade.

But that's actually a good thing, chan is an endearment, it stands to reason that it would be trasnlated as a nickname. How else would you do it?

If you're translating something set in normal Japanese culture, ALL the fucking dialogue is going to be a huge departure from how people talk in Burgerland. Changing surnames to first names and making the subs confusing bullshit won't change that one bit.

-chan is a diminutive honorific that functions as a term of endearment.

It substitutes a pet name or cutesy name for the person.

It's why it's usually translated as Little or Lil', unless context makes something sound better.

Just include fucking chan. Don't make up your own nickname for a character, that's retarded.

>Little or Lil'
I fucking hate this so much.

>If you're translating something set in normal Japanese culture
But that's the thing, most of anime is not set in japanese culture. They're set in generic isekai worlds.
Why bother then? Might as well make this shit accessible, it's not like japanese culture is relevant here, unlike say, I don't know, Tokyo godfathers.

>just include a foreign word that no casual will understand
Sure thing weeb. I'm one as well, but really here there's no point except stroking your boner for japanese culture. The point of the chan is to convey that this character holds this other character dear in a casual way. A nickname achieves that. Chan doesn't, because no casual knows what it means.

Me too, lil' user.

>teenagers calling each other "miss" or "mr"

bon appétit !

>casuals won't understand
Who the fuck cares? And the degree of casual required to not know "chan" is ridiculous, anyway - we're talking "watched Pokemon, DBZ, and some Ghibli movies, all dubbed" tier shit. Even the userbase for fucking paid streaming sites knows this stuff in 99.9% of cases.

>i don't understand japanese because im American therefore i'll use french to understand japanese that I can't understand in english
k e k

>most of anime is not set in japanese culture.
Yes, it is, what are you talking about?
>[most anime is] set in generic isekai worlds
No, really, what the fuck?

>sayonara
>not sayonala

He's some faggot from Sup Forums that's watched a couple battle shounens and thinks he's an anime expert. Didn't you see the unironic use of "weeb"?

Rapeman-kun~

らぺまん?

It isn't. It's just unneeded localization.

Japan is hyper-polite past 5 years old dude.

This. Grace is the exact same thing as 'Bon appetit' or 'itadakimasu', but since it's vaguely connected to christianity its evil and most people don't say it anymore

Blessed o' lord through these our guest which you are about to receive through our bounty through Christ our lord amen.

>just include a foreign word that no casual will understand
>Sure thing weeb. I'm one as well, but really here there's no point except stroking your boner for japanese culture. The point of the chan is to convey that this character holds this other character dear in a casual way. A nickname achieves that. Chan doesn't, because no casual knows what it means.

Jesus Christ. It's a diminutive; that's not exactly a difficult concept to grasp. If a character is introduced as "Mana" and her friends and family keep referring to her as "Mana-chan" it's not going to take very long for the audience to figure out that it's a term of endearment, even if they are completely unfamiliar with Japanese culture. Meanwhile, calling her "'Lil' Mana" or similar comes off as weird and artificial. This isn't how most English speakers talk so the end result feels considerably less natural than simply leaving the -chan suffix untranslated.

>he doesn't call his friends "lil' [name]"

>friends
Where do you think you are?

Why do half of these matter? It's like people complaining about a character saying onii-chan and the subs say brother. That's what it means.