Which translation subtitle do you believe is superior?

Which translation subtitle do you believe is superior?

Other urls found in this thread:

twitter.com/MichaelToole/status/473928023071145984
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

I have to wonder what failed writer thought the right was acceptable.

anime?

And I think left is

Kizumonogatari
Take a guess

Left is superior

Right is stupid

whoever says left, is a fucking reddit tier weeb

it's commie isn't it

Right because I have fucking ears.

nice try with the false flag.

Right is something normalfags would want.

Who did the right? Don't think I've seen that particular sub for Kizu 2 yet.

you guessed it

thankfully most of you said left, and only two of you have autism

I wonder what zany memes they'll edit it into.

I'll take right. If you really want to know the exact play on words, you'll learn enough japanese to pick it up from the audio.

Right but with left as a tl note

I'll take the one that is actually a translation.

>reddit spacing
mkay

ah, so what you want is localization

meaning means nothing to you as long as it sounds good right?

no wonder commie isnt dead yet

Fuck off teen

Left is a translation
Right is a localization

>Left is a translation
Questionable.

No

and how the fuck does left have more meaning than right?

it gives you an understanding of the context in a show that is supremely esoteric in its japaneseness, rather than diminishing its flavor in a loose poor translation

It helps you learn moonrunes

You genuinely don't know what the term localization means, but that's not really surprising. You've never learned another language or worked in translation, you're just here for the memes

The left one is definitely better because it provides more information.

It literally is not a localization

ITT: people who post on Sup Forums have small vocabularies and the only mean word they know to make fun of subtitles is "localization."

Sure, rewrite is more accurate.

It is obviously an attempt to fully translate to English while maintaining the original's intent. Herkz is a fuckiing idiot, but I won't fault the translator for trying

>Changing a Japanese wordplay into an English wordplay
>Not a localization

That's correct. You literally do not know what the term localization means, because that's not even close.

For a single pun that's unrelated to the plot at hand, I'd rather take a very similar pun that works in English. This specific example though is shit since silliness and business don't rhyme. I remember one in Owari about knees that was fine.

Translating is a bitch. For this one I might have gone with "act" and "pact" but it'll never feel as natural as in jap

The right. If I wanted an untranslated anime I'd watch the raws.

localization makes things that are esoteric based on language and location and makes them not so

this is a modification of wordplay into something that "rhymes" in english; literal localization

Taking a similar example, like in Steins;Gate where the characters uses 2ch memes, while the sub "translates" them into Sup Forums memes, would it be considered a translation or a localization?

That's not a similar example at all.

The first half of your post is right, so you must have looked up the definition, and then proceeded to misunderstand it yet again. Localization is when the script is changed for cultural reasons, rather than a language barrier. "Jelly donuts" was localization. Attempting to maintain the fact that the original line was a pun is not. Next you'll say that translations of Dante's Inferno atttempting to maintain the increasing crudity of adjectives as he delves deeper into hell is localization

Not similar, yes a localization

But both are something that can only be fully understood in Japanese, but were changed in the English sub so it makes more sense for English speakers.

>But both are something that can only be fully understood in Japanese
They're not.

Nigga, you dumb

holy shit. i hope your just trolling and not this stupid

Herkz, I know it's you false-flagging to pretend that people who don't put up with your shitty memes are stupid nitpickers.

Hey herkz and commie niggers
There's only 2 genders, and Trump is a great guy

Posting superior version

my fucking sides

im not herkz

Japanese inherently has more meaning than English can possibly convey.

You can literally hear the pun. It's not like you're going to watch the anime on mute because it's subbed.

>commieshit
>in the year 2017
Why do this to yourself?

Right is really well done / creative. As someone who can understand 70% of what's said in anime though I'd rather see left as the translation.

Now you've done it.

Which one Sup Forums?

maybe, but you can't understand japanase anyways so why even point that?

left
right

They say almost the same thing though.

>herkz

right because it focuses on giving the same experience watching the show as someone who knows japanese would have. the left has more meaning, but the meaning loses its comedic timing and thus is pointless.

thats not even related. by that logic, both would be equally bad.

Has anyone else watched the Irrational Typesetting Wizardry sub of Noucome. that shit was gold. I'm surprise it's not more of a meme on this board.

Objectively it should say "Kore wa(This) ore no(my) Higi(secret technique) Jijo-Jibaku(Self-Flagellation) desu(is)"

If you google that technique,the first post is twitter. following the reply chain up to the original tweet by some ANN guy, you may spot someone familiar.
twitter.com/MichaelToole/status/473928023071145984

>right because it focuses on giving the same experience watching the show as someone who knows japanese would have.
>Line exists and works solely due to the fact that it's a pun
>Remove the wordplay and change it to what amounts to "No I'm serious"

>t.One of the idiots responsible for meme-worthy localization fails.

The one thing i hated about commie is the fact that they applied ye olde english subtitles to kagenui in tsukimonogatari
basically if """localization""" couldn't get any more tone deaf

>Hadena
I haven't thought about their garbage in, like, five years.

Why did you make me remember? Why did you bring the pain to the surface again?

Daiz destroys that motherfucker. And I don't even like Daiz.

oh boy i love localizations

This is one of the rare cases where they actually almost made an equivalent pun in English, so I kind of give right a pass, even though the rhyming is terrible.

Compare this to Crunchyroll turning a gag in Sakura Quest specifically based around kanji written by Spanish people being turned into a misunderstanding about accidentally writing "peach" instead of "peace." That one did need the TL note, because translating it completely removed the original gag.

A deal is a deal arararararagi-kun!

I actually the right is pretty good, it's just missing the part where the words sound almost identical. It's about as good as you can get without going full tl note like the left.

>it's a phrase that people actually say
I don't know the context of this scene but nobody in their right mind says "my sides" at the start of a joke. That should come during or after they've laughed their ass off.

based commie fighting against the herkz tranny

Would you translate moon incantations?

I prefer the left here.

They both kinda suck. Regardless of whether or not you want to translate it, there's no point having it in the dialogue subs and also on/above the kanji.
I'd take right over left just but also want to say that the "secret technique" part isn't actually in the red kanji but they printed it there anyway...

my sides is not a real life expression
it's what overly sensitive twitter girls say when someone makes "le epic roast!!111!!1XD" and its not even that funny

Left is really no better than a TL note. At least right tried something.
But most weeb prefer their anime to be translated almost word for word so they can pretend to know japanese.

I'm sure somewhere out there there is someone who says "my sides" in that kind of context, but either way it's not what the character said.

I'd post the old Gundam screencaps that've got "who (dare) dares interrupt (jama suru) my taikanshiki (coronation)" and shit, if I could find them. I can't, so I'm just posting this one instead.

>there are commie shills ITT right now

>my sides is not a real life expression
Yes, it is. Just because you or those you know have not lived in a place where it is spoken does not mean that it is not spoken. Does Patois not exist because you don't hear it regularly?

It does, but don't call it English.

That wasn't the direction of my point, and you knew that.

since when is "my sides" unironically brought up as response to a joke
i've just never heard it tb h and it sounds especially corny with all the twitter/instagram memes

>He still calls the Eotens "titans"
What's your excuse

Every translation thread is just the exact same screenshots with the exact same shitposts. Are we still going to be arguing about that one line in Amagi in a decade?

Not really that useful for them to be here either, considering Sup Forums will always swing towards being faithful to the original meaning within reason over blatant USification. Though I guess there could be some fence riders out there that are a step away from either becoming Sup Forumsutists or full blown normalfag retards.

I don't know about america, but I've heard that phrase here eveb in flipland

>flipland
Doesn't count. Flip English is mainly loanwords and the other half is just fucking memes.

The actual kanji on their shirts said "Safe birth" or something right? The peach thing is even more egregious, since in the episode before the one where they do the peace/peach explainer they translated the kanji on the shirts accurately as "Safe birth".

That's Sanskrit though, not moon. Also the shinto chants and incantations are always in Sanskrit.

I would have went with "It's not a joke, it's a toke*

*TL Note: Legalize It"

Ahhh much better.

I speak 4 languages and worked for 2 years as a translator. You're full of shit.

If you honestly think the left image of the OP is an acceptable translation then the only place you could find a job as a 'translator' is the local taco bell, Paco. Shut the fuck up.

I speak 6 languages and founded my own translation company. You're the one full of shit.

>ITT
>bunch of fucking weaboos
>Pandering the idea that ONLY MOON LANGUAGE CAN HAVE PUN

Both are perfectly acceptable ways, but from a fucking viewing standpoint, I don't need to fucking deconstruct every single fucking word and some (CONTEXT BUBBLES) to fucking get the idea behind a pun.

That being said, gr8 b8. Has triggered me.

Neither is an acceptable translation. Right is not a pun, left is awkward.

The correct way to translate it would be to use an annotation, so everyone who cares would pause and everyone else would continue reading the regular translation. This is how books have done it for ages, in my language at least - anime is not above that as a medium.

The "Keikaku means plan" shit was terrible yes and notes were definitely abused, but I think it's a fucking tragedy that they were phased out entirely.