Nisemonogatari translation changes "platinum mad" to "dagnabbit mad"

>Nisemonogatari translation changes "platinum mad" to "dagnabbit mad"
Should I even bother buying the rest of the novels? I was planning on buying them all.

>not just buying Bake and Kizu and skipping Nise

holy shit this cant be real
localization at its finest lads

How did they make that leap? Was there a TL note on it? Even if you don't know the pun, there's still a certain sense to be gained from "platinum mad" if you're thinking a bit laterally.

>Monster Tale instead of Ghostory
>Fake Tale instead of Impostory
>Would Tale instead of Scarstory
They fucked up before even getting to page 1.

Wait there was a pun? I thought she was just saying some silly English word.

Kind of. IIRC it's puchi mukatsuku (slightly mad) to purachina mukatsuku (platinum mad).

do us a favor and scan them so we can laugh at >western releases

All I ask for in this world is decent translation to my shitty chinese novels so I don't have to actually learn moonspeak, is it really too fucking much to ask??

Wow one thing isn't the same as your animu. Oh boy its entirely shit now.

Yes faggot. All translation are shit and you're missing out, learn moon already.

Monogatari requires high level moon-puns though

Even more reason to learn then. Would you rather deal with shitty localized puns instead?

Goddammit user! With all this time I waste browsing Sup Forums, where the hell will moonrune fit into my packed schedule?

Give up. Translations are hilarious bad everywhere. LNs, CR+Amazon with anime, shit companies like NISA and XSeed and visual novels

Learning Japanese is fun anyway.

Why would they let someone fuck up Nise after Bake was so well done?
I'll probably read it anyway desu. Platinum mad will come up what, 5 times max? If that's the only major issue then it's still pretty good on the whole.

>>Would Tale instead of Scarstory
this one is barely even a pun

Speaking of potentially bad translations, are the Legend of the Galactic Heroes novels any good?

The titles are the fault of the anime release though. The books had to go with what people would recognize.

>Goddammit user!
Dagnabbit user!

Fucking localization

Fucking frogposters

itt: 2015

Really?

Really really.

One of my friends has been pleased with them so far. I haven't gotten too far into it yet but it seems fine.

"Dagnabbit mad" really isn't that big a deal and "platinum mad" doesn't actually preserve the joke in the original text. Suck it up, you fucking EOP weeaboos.

Partly mad.

OP, I don't think any translation was going to satisfy your autism. Go fire up that change.org petition to fire the translator and editor for daring to not transliterate it 100% accurate to the glorious Japanese version. Better yet stop being a pussy and read the books in Japanese if you're going to have a meltdown over one insignificant localization change

overly dramatic there, buddy.

This

Save it for those frogposters whining about localization in general. OP was just pointing out that the change is annoying and I agree.

"Dagnabbit mad" really isn't any worse than "my heart smelts for you, Senjogahara."

It's the fact that It's one of the most well-known phrases from the series, which means it shouldn't have been changed. A character's catch phrase should never be fucked with.

>Hello mister ruhrohragi
>don't say my name like a cartoon dog

Come on, N5fag. You're just too stupid to think of something better.

Plenty mad, Plentynum mad, Platinum mad is pushing it, but surely even you can tell that it's better than "Dugrabbit mad".

that one was an attempt to adapt the original phrasing that turned out poorly. "Dagnabbit mad" doesn't sound like an attempt to adapt the original wordplay, unless I missed something or the context makes it better.
With that assumption, I think it would be better to stick with the literal translation that people are used to, and doesn't sound any more awkward.

That's actually a good localization.

Is this Yen Press? What are they doing? They're trying so hard to make an LN sounds like an actual novel rather than the Japanese version of a cheap pocket book.

You complain about them translating literally a two line gag in a weird way but not about Kanbaru awkwardly calling Araragi "My senior Araragi" every single time she sees him?

It's Vertical, and as another user said they were probably just following what Aniplex called the anime (which came out years before the english LNs).
Authors rarely get the final word on the title of their books, underpaid translators probably don't even get a part in the conversation.

It's Vertical.

They did the same thing with the Gundam manga and reworded "not even my own father would hit me," and "one does not care to acknowledge the mistakes of one's youth."

Besides that, how is the translation? Was thinking about getting these.

Save your money. You own the only good volumes already.

Adding to this.

The pun is that while it sounds like she's really mad, she's actually just slightly mad. Not as mad she makes it out to be.

Dagnabbit mad is basically the same pun.

Dagnabbit mad sounds like an exaggerated amount of mad. But actually, she's just (dagn) a bit mad.

It's pretty clever all things considered but Sup Forums will ignore this while refusing to come up with a better alternative and shitposting about it.

>It's Vertical
Okay

>probably just following what Aniplex called the anime (which came out years before the english LNs)
It still sounds really horrid, pretentious and terrible.

Damn it OP, just pirate those volumes, even better if its fan translated.

I'm N1, you N4 faggot.

None of your suggestions work because "puchi" means "a little bit," which is the whole joke. It's supposed to sound like she's saying she's really mad, but actually she's trying to say she's only slightly mad.

Aside from the general awkwardness that comes from trying to make Nisio's very Japanese puns work in english, it's pretty good.

see
Sure the pun is clever, but a character's catch phrase is more important.

>reading trash

Also:
>reading western releases

What books would you consider not trash, within the scope of anime and manga?

Catch phrase? She only says it once in the entire series.

>which came out years before the english LNs
The light novels started getting translations while Bakemonogatari aired, which was eight years ago.

This is not a request thread.

>not trash, within the scope of anime and manga
if i had a frog i would post one now

Come on, half the world is reading fucking Harry Potter

this too
see

oh good people are finally coming around to realizing this translation is awf-THEY DID WHAT

>The light novels started getting translations while Bakemonogatari aired
Not the official ones, genius, which is what the user was talking about.

>Dagnabbit mad sounds like an exaggerated amount of mad
It sounds like an exaggerated amount of Buck Strickland

Except she says it in the anime opening, and I have spent more time listening to that opening than I have reading the novels and watching the series combined.

>changes "platinum mad" to "dagnabbit mad"
>people will shill and defend this
>MUH WESTERN RELEASES, MUH SUPPORT THE AUTHOR
>when western translations are generally shitty and fans translations made by japs and volunteers are better

Sometimes I wonder when will you guys ever learn not to support western releases. Then I remember you eat like this shit for virtue signaling points of "look I supported the industry!"

>everyone is a mouthbreathing mongoloid, i shall follow suit

I think the main problem with keeping "platinum mad" is that it doesn't convey how stupid and forced it sounds, because the translated phrase sounds pretty okay-ish in English. The entire context of their discussion about it changes if it doesn't sound ridiculously stupid.

Nise is shit anyways so who cares?

user, Nisio basically says that he wrote Nisemonogatari as a joke and never intended to publish it in the afterword. This series is not high art.

Cool, but this is the novel, not the anime.

Come on. Harry Potter was good before the SJWs started using it for arguments and shit.

It's alliteration, which is still wordplay. Better than "Wound Story"

That's not even a good pun though because the emphasis falls on the wrong syllable. Most people won't even catch it because you can't read it out loud. It's a visual pun, and English is not a fertile language for visual puns like Japanese, not that this even was one in the first place.

>dagn
what the fuck is a dagn

And now you have to change an entire page's worth of dialogue and every time the phrase come up again, change the entirety of the conversation just so that platinum mad makes sense is the connotation she's using it in. Also, she explains the pun right after.

Congrats.

>Harry Potter was good before the SJWs started using it for arguments and shit.
how can real world shit affect the quality of a book

This was never even implied.

That's where you're wrong, jimbo.

>Most people won't even catch it because you can't read it out loud.
She explains it a second later, so no one is going to miss it.

It's not like puchi/purachina is actually that intuitive either.

I get a Yosemite Sam vibe from it.

She has to explain the logic behind the pun immediately after in both languages.

>"""official"""
Not an excuse to use their place in the publishing industry to rephrase or inaccurately translate books. Localization is damaging to translations, for example Funi mislabeled a character in their subtitles for To Terra and Vertical went with their typo instead of accurately translating the name from Japanese.

Viz also fucked up big time by publishing Yukikaze with American measurement units instead of just using the metric lengths written in the novels.

Sure, sure "N1". I believe you.

As I said, it's not perfect, but it's a whole lot better than something as ridiculous as "Dagnabbit mad".

Are they going to do any more audiobooks? The kizu one was actually enjoyable, even if they did make Episode sound like a black guy.

Harry Potter was never good

Are you okay, user? Did you get lost somewhere in this conversation?

The whole thing become cringey. They started using it to "Trump is the Darklord Voldemort, so we're on the right side of history!"

All I can do as I watch everything from half across the world is hide my copy of the Deathly Hollows in my cabinet. I can't even bear to bring it out.

>Viz also fucked up big time by publishing Yukikaze with American measurement units instead of just using the metric lengths written in the novels.
What the fuck

It's supposed to be ridiculous you dumb fuck.

>Razzafrakkin' onii-chan

It's not better because you completely changed the meaning, you gigantic retard. How can you accuse other people of not knowing Japanese when you don't even know what "puchi" means?

>tfw I've watched so much subbed anime I've learned enough Japanese to follow an episode without subs

Wow, learn to keep the context in mind, ESL. "Ridiculous" as in "Outlandish and ill-suited to an adaptation of this LN".

You haven't once actually explained why it's ill-suited to the LN beyond "but shitty Aniplex subs didn't translate it that way!"

>Nisemonogatari translation changes "platinum mad" to "dagnabbit mad"

So do we translate the song as "dagnabbit disco" now?

Not him, but I thought it was supposed to mean she's "a little bit" mad instead of really mad. However, dagnabbit does not mean "a little bit" in any way, so I fail to see how it's a good localization. In fact it might actually be completely backwards if you think about it.

Yet here you are

At least the alliteration makes it sounds nice.

>completely changed the meaning
And dagnabbit doesn't do that, huh?

>"plenty" mad
Ever heard of "quotation marks"? They can be used to convey sarcasm and irony.

Jesus Christ, how many of you are complaining about this without actually reading the entire passage from the novel?

"Dagnabbit mad" makes it sound like she's really mad, but she was actually saying she's "a bit" mad, since dagnabbit has a sound similar to "a bit" at the end. The entire fucking joke, as the characters explain it literally right there in the text, is that her word choice makes it sound way more dramatic than it actually is.

>dagnabbit
>abbit
>a bit

Sure, it's a stretch, but so is puchi/purachina.

No it doesn't. But the whole situation is just laughable.