What is it that makes specifically Americans so bad at dubbing anime?

What is it that makes specifically Americans so bad at dubbing anime?

>french dub
Okay, the characters sound approximately like they should.
>spanish dub
Perfect, would watch it instead of the Japanese if I was fluent in Spanish.
>english dub
All the characters sound completely different, tone is completely changed, the meaning is changed wildly for no particular reason, everything is overtranslated

Is it cultural ignorance? A small dubbing industry? Incompetence?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=bVpwJbLLivU
youtube.com/watch?v=VMqcLUqYqrs
youtube.com/watch?v=BnmJALXh_sI
youtu.be/YCyo4geEu-0
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

americans are born stupid by default

France and Mexico are weeb countries, especially France. They even get some manga releases before the US.

What is it that makes non-Americans think it's ok to make dub threads? Fuck off.

What is it that specifically constitutes a bait thread?

Is it the facetious filename? A U.S flag? Sup Forums?

Superior Romance languages > Filthy Germanic English

Because they unionized.

Anglos are born dumb because they where inbreeding for thousands of years.

I'm not a native speaker of French or Spanish either though.
I didn't find any other suitable images in my image folder.

>Dubs
>Good

>french dub
>Okay, the characters sound approximately like they should.

french dubs are the worst by a huge marging. american dubs dont even compete with how shit they are. never seen one with actual effort put into it, all the characters sound the same plus horrendous broken accent whenever they have to use a foreign word or name.

but to answer your question its because they are cheap bastards who want maximum profits so they do botchjobs with a lot of dubs and a lot of americans dont care how bad it gets as long as it's american.

>France and Mexico are weeb countries, especially France.
which makes it even sadder how terrible their dubs are

nobody gives a shit about the actual language, what matters is the quality of the acting. well except americans, they really like throwing around the "you only like the japanese version better because you dont understand huurrr" when really its more about them not wanting to accept anything thats not american. i really liked the english dub of xenoblade chronicles and the last story, but that wasnt american and behold, americans kept shitting on them because of "ew the accents are shit lol".

Why are you making dub threads on Sup Forums?
What part of FUCK OFF do you not understand?

English dubs need to stop being done with US voice actors, and switch to UK instead. Great Britain has the highest standard of voice acting in the world, and Americans turned dubbing into a lazy joke. There would not be any drawbacks from this.

I wish British English returned to being the standard instead of shitty Burger English. Fuck Hollywood.

>Perfect, would watch it instead of the Japanese if I was fluent in Spanish.
lol

You obviously haven't ever encountered the Russian dub.

Anglofetishism is one of the great diseases of white people.

>Great Britain has the highest standard of voice acting in the world

That's nothing. You should listen to the Chinese dubs. The chink languages are the worst fucking sounding languages on the planet and this is coming from a chink.

Okay, Big Green.

You can understand English and point out it's problems more easily then Japanese which takes years to become proficient in, it's why so many weebs give them shit.
Not saying they're aren't bad dubs, but the idea that our mother tongue is somehow a cancer on Anime is an ancient meme that will never ever die.

My theory, national wealth and large population means there's a large native entertainment media. So no need to get good at dubbing somebody else's. it might be related to the disdain for subtitles and foreign movies. A place like LatAm on the other hand, has to have good dubs, because it's not just abut anime, but a whole bunch of other media, because people want something more than to watch crap telenovelas.

see
>they really like throwing around the "you only like the japanese version better because you dont understand huurrr"

>There would not be any drawbacks from this.
That would not be very MAGA of you.

No white person likes anglos. And before you make the obvious retort, think about what you will be told in return.

>"you only like the japanese version better because you dont understand huurrr"
But it is true.

Only if you're a fucking moron.

Bring back glorious UK dubbing

Worth noting

Although the exception isn't the rule

Shitty monotone English. No fucking accent, which makes the dub insufferable. Also, they're terrible making girly voice for the girls. They tend to sound horrible.

fuck all of you guys. English dubs are good. I have seen a little over a hundred dubs and most of them are really good, some are great and about 20% are mediocre/bad (The early 2000 ones).

How can you objectively grade the quality of both works if you can only get the "essence" of what a Jap says versus the whole Language in English?
IMO you cannot, and simply saying it will always be better is a cop out since that's not actually grading the voices in any sense.

Didn't go to voice acting schools and cold read scripts

>No fucking accent
>Implying nips can do anything close to an accent.

I can understand the difference in American, English and German and a bit of French Accents, still can't really tell any difference in Jap dialects.

Do they just not have extreme variance, like an audible drawl or strictness?

The Jew nose. Every fucking woman in voice acting these days seems to have very congested sinuses. Like a guy effecting a falsetto, they speak from the back of their throats, rather than naturally carrying their voice through the entirety of the esophagus. Might also be because they can't reach the same pitch as tiny Asian seiyuus.

One of them is one of the biggest parts of the market where you are required to go to special schools and almost train like and idol.
The other are literal tumbr-tier cosplayers and the same 3 people that wong get a real career.
And just because you are retarded does not mean that people can not grade voice acting, even if you were to assume that they do not understand the meaning.

I actually like they don't reach that ear bleeding squee seiyuus get. Only the most deep voiced of female seiyuus make me think "adult woman", a lot of them sound like they're aiming for "high pitched 7 year old".

screw that french dubs are the worst it make it sounds like you are watching a kid show

I speak 4 languages including nip and English. English dubs do in fact sound worse. Happy now?

>naturally carrying their voice through the entirety of the esophagus
lewd

This assumes only those that get anime voice acting roles do not have any sort of training which is wrong. Just because in Japan it's a rat race to get a voice acting role does not mean that a classically trained English VA is somehow worse.
Also retarded has nothing to do with the fact that you can not objectively grade two different voices if you can only understand the language of one of them. You're basing the other off of presentation and delivery alone, not what is being said.

But that's just it though. The English voice actors somehow believe that they must effect a really high-pitched voice to make the character believable, or acceptable to those watching the series. I'm also not a fan of women dubbing teen boys' voices. Unless your voice went full Louie Armstrong/Marlboro Man during puberty, most men should still be able to effect something 99% resembling their teenaged voices.

Simply put, options and competition.
There's like 5 fucking voice actors in the US so they do shit work.

Perhaps other languages sound better because you can't understand it

In America voice actors who have talent are voicing American cartoons.

>Do they just not have extreme variance, like an audible drawl or strictness?
Your powerlevel is just low as fuck

>spanish dub
>Perfect
It's just ok most of the times.

american dubs are just fucking awful

bad voice direction bad quality overall they're voice acting because they're bad if they were good they wouldn't be doing that job

british voice actors are better they actually had good schools and experience in threater and better voice directors

America has a larger entertainment industry in general. Very few 1st or 2nd tier movie or tv actors do anime dubbing on the side. Also, there is little mixing between the talent pools for American cartoon dubbing (Disney, Fox, Nick, CN, etc.) and Japanese anime dubbing. So the American anime actors are people you've never heard of, and typically do only anime or some local live theater. Occasionally there's someone who was a minor character on a TV show or had a bit movie role.
TLDR; = right

dbz dub is absolutley perfect

The only accents you get are the gaijin thing they do like Karen, but they are a ton of dialects.

>Watching any media in any language besides the native one
Literally shit

Just admit that you are mexican, not it's not.

I want at least one anime being done in australian dub and no toning down, with all australian expressions intact.

If you want a truly hilariously terrible dub, listen to some of Manga Entertainment's 90s releases. Nothing more hilarious than Britbongs trying to do "American" accents.

youtube.com/watch?v=bVpwJbLLivU

>there is little mixing between the talent pools for American cartoon dubbing (Disney, Fox, Nick, CN, etc.) and Japanese anime dubbing.
This right here. There are plenty of excellent American voice actors (the entire cast of The Simpsons, for instance), they just don't do anime.

French dubs are not good. Spanish ones usually are though, and it's weird how that works.

Lets break it down step by step.
First: America is the number 1 country in the world.
Second: Every other country is not number 1.
Third: Because they're united under the shared, common trait of not being number 1, the rest of the world likes to get together and insult America because they're jealous. They have incredibly hard biases towards their own things, and against American things, and out of their hatred of America they'll even be biased toward every other countries things just for the sake of being able to say it's better than Americas.

It's the same shit that happens in every era of human history. When Rome all but ruled the world guess what everyone thought of the Romans? "Fucking romans bunch of stupid idiots they don't have any unique or interesting culture my country is better. Oh hey neighboring country, do you hate Rome too? Yeah totally, our countries are WAY better than fucking rome, rome sucks at everything." When the british empire was the biggest in the world guess who everyone hated? The british. And now the same is happening with America.

Tis the petty, jealous and ever unchanging nature of man.

Try listening to Kansaiben vs regular Tokyo Nihongo vs whatever the heck Fukui accent(Arata from Chihayafuru is the one that mostly comes to mind) is supposed to be. That last one sounds almost like Korean.

Man, you're mad.

the main problem with dubs (aside from them not translating japanese text on screen) is that you loose the subtle nuance of hearing their stupid japanese words or when they try to speak english. makes a funny anime even funnier, and by watching subs, your parents cant hear whats going on, but its harder to watch anime drunk unless you watch dubs

Let me guess, people with that accent are made fun of since Japs hate Koreans right?

Don't the Japanese find any accent outside of the Kanto plains to be exotic when seen on tv? I heard that somewhere.

>First: America is the number 1 country in the world.

I have no idea, I honestly can't remember if he got made fun of in school for that. It's just that the way he stresses certain syllables, and specific pauses in the sentence, remind me of what you might typically hear in ads for Korean dramas. Don't ask me to differentiate Korean regional accents though, I don't watch kimchee, though if I did, I'd probably be able to tell you accent A is from Seoul, B is from not-Seoul, and C is from Pyongyang.

The rest of latin amerrica exists user, and everyone got the mexican dub. And even hating mexicans as much as we do, everyone appreciates the masterwork known as the dbz spanish dub

that's the Philippines, you nig

>First: America is the number 1
Pretty sure that's Afghanistan.

Is it? Cool lets all talk about how much we hate the Phililppines now.

Seriously, what is it about filipinos that makes them so incapable of making a good anime dub? Every other country can do, so why not them? Is it cultural ignorance? A small dubbing industry? Incompetence?

Well, most of all those Southern Asian Countries are filled with wild untamed jungles, not every person on those islands may be :civilized" and infrastructure is kinda crap outside major cities.

Hell, Guinea only became important after WW2 because we found oil deep in the jungles.

Youre biased, thats all

youtube.com/watch?v=VMqcLUqYqrs

I like how you equate english dubs to america

Anyway animu characters speaking a subhuman language like spanish is a gigantic turn off famalam

>what's a joke

I don't know about their dubbing industry. But I'll go with Mexican dub anytime. It's good, and has been since the beginning.

even thought, voice actors get shit pay, and really nothing from it, they still do it

I grew up watching dubs like this. I generally like dubs nowadays. I'm halfway though Tsuki ga Kirei and it sounds pretty great.

ding ding ding

American voice actors tradtionally have to have a shit ton of range because back in the day they had monsters like Mel Blanc who could do a gorillion distinct funny voices. Nowadays they have a handful of guys who are expected to be able to do like 15 different distinct voices for iconic cartoon characters and they usually don't mess around with niche shit like anime dubbing.

youtube.com/watch?v=BnmJALXh_sI

Also, as others have pointed out, the REALLY good actors are doing Hollywood-type shit, which dwarfs pathetic Nip media. That being said, I fucking love shit like the 4kids dubs.

At least for NGE, it seemed like they managed to get the characters somewhat right, unlike the American where Asuka sounds like a 40-something year old and Misato like a 20-something year old.
But it's apparent the tone is entirely different, compared to any of the foreign dubs.
OK = perfect in the sense that it's an accurate reproduction

THe worst english dubs i heard never even came from america

>an't really tell any difference in Jap dialects.
>but they are a ton of dialects.
Implying anyone gives a fuck aboot japanese dialects.

This is pasta, right?

>When Rome all but ruled the world guess what everyone thought of the Romans? "Fucking romans bunch of stupid idiots they don't have any unique or interesting culture my country is better. Oh hey neighboring country, do you hate Rome too? Yeah totally, our countries are WAY better than fucking rome, rome sucks at everything."
That's not what happened.

>When the british empire was the biggest in the world guess who everyone hated? The british.
That's not what happened either.

People hate America, because you deserve to be hated. You don't even deserve to be told why you're hated, because you wouldn't even accept the reason.

Looks like a pasta. I wont get mad.

>watching dubs
Why would you watch it with anything other than the original, intended voice actors?

Say that shit to my face bitch, Kansai dialect gets me rock hard, it's the best thing ever made.

>spanish dub
>perfect
I can't understand how people think this. French/German is almost always pretty good regardless of media, however.

Because the japanese voices sound boring. I don't understand japanese, so i don't care about those bland voices. Im not autistic enough to pretend that some nip-non-ching-chong bullshit is gods own language. I want to enjoy anime. I want to watch it and listen to it. That's it.

>being buttblasted over a copypasta

Seethe , bitch

French and Spanish are romance languages and have a lot of fast cadence to them. You can also conjugate verbs to imply subjects, much in the way that Japanese functions. English demands subject specificity more than Japanese, which makes the two languages already at odds.

Then you have to consider our American talent pool-- it's atrocious and unionized. The women all sounds super manly and lack the extreme degree of femininity that Japanese intonation has, and since English has less flow than many other languages, you're going to get just ugly women voices everywhere. The only good female VAs I have heard for covering the Japanese voice ranges are from Tales of Berseria-- those girls were good. But everyone else has been so patently awful. They just do not sound feminine enough. US women in voice acting are too god damn manly to pull off cutesy characters.

Women in other countries are way more feminine, but US women really suck. They are the worst in the world. Watching them imitate actual feminine ladies is painful.

Computers and the internet are British.

Look up NPL Network, Babbage, Colossus, etc.

>non argument
>non argument
>non argument
>"And I'm not arguing because you don't deserve it and you're too stupid to accept me superior reasoning"

Haha I totally can't wait until China takes over, they're gonna be so much nicer to everyone than the USA.

It is my dream to be a voice actor, but I am so hesitant with Funimation being the ones to handle things in this country. They stick to big names and write horrid dubs.

I'd be happy to just be a traditional actor, but voice work would be the dream, truly. It's a shame our best are shoved aside.

At least some gaming has hope.

Optional: Post any character and dialogue and I'll do a quick reading. Feel free to give direction.

I don't know. The "american" """actor""" for Yuno in Mirai Nikki for example sounded excessively feminine/young for example, like an actual 14 year old was doing the voice acting.

Stopped reading there

>The pleasure of knowing the mere existence of your country inspires hope and pride in the down-trodden and foreign, but also wrecks destruction on the hearts of the corrupt and unjust.
>The pleasure of knowing they follow your news, politics, celebrities, business, science and general affairs religiously
>They use our inventions (computers, internet, English language, electricity (Faraday Motor)) to shitpost nonstop about how much they hate you and everything related to you.

Russian dub is great.
youtu.be/YCyo4geEu-0

While we're at it, let's talk about the japanese dub too.

Changing how the voice of a character sounds is not really a bad thing if done correctly. A character may have the potential to have various voices and still fit. It all really depends if its done appropiately.

I'm sorry who? Are you britsh or something? Nobody cares enough about britain to hate or love it. How would you even rationalize thinking the world is obsessed with you? What do you base that belief on?