Why are politics and consumerism so inextricably linked these days?

Why are politics and consumerism so inextricably linked these days?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=eJ3RzGoQC4s
gradesaver.com/democracy-in-america/study-guide/summary-vol-ii-part-2-chapters-1-20
twitter.com/AnonBabble

why wouldn't they be

Companies found you can a lot money off indentity politics.

because leftist were in charge and politics for them are not politics at all but a subtle way of climbing the social hierarchy ladder and cultivating a more r selective environment.
also the jews use it to mold the minds of the masses.

Liberals have managed to inject politics into literally everything. That's why.

>He doesnt know that it was the Republicans who created lobbyism
nice

Because all products are the same.
All cars are the same.
Anyone can make a championship microbrew in their own home.
Movies are all the same, follow the same arc, so do TV shows.
Computers are all the same.
Phones are all the same and do the same thing.
Houses are all the same for your region/nation.
Healthcare is all the same.
Clothes are all the same.
>people who argue otherwise muh nVidia vs AMD are just examples of one exploited market niche that is required to differentiate anything at all.

actual responses only, brainlet
please

>people with no jobs or money successfully boycott businesses

what part of that response hurt your feelings

Is this post supposed to make any sense or are you just pretending to be pretentious? The entire planet isn't Muttland,

This isn't true. There are levels of quality and you should discern between items. Something of quality will last a lot longer than something that's junk.

The end goal, however, should not be to obtain material items.

Okay. But what I said still stands. Companies like to use politics as a means to advertise their products. Put your product around a social issue and you'll get eyes and coverage on your product. Keyword being Social issues. They're easy to market around and don't cost you a dime. That's why you'll never, EVER see these companies talk about tax reform. That shit hurts their bottom lines, better to keep people distracted arguing about inane bullshit while they reap in the profits.

more memes pls

because of capitalism
why are you asking a rhetorical question?

Materialistic Ideology.

Politics and consumerism mending created the worst kind of place on earth.
>inb4 Communist
You can be a fervent Capitalist without the likes of Private Prisons, Lobbyism, and Bribery.

I don't dispute this user but part of the marketing trend is because of convergent evolution of products.
1986 Yugo vs 1986 top-end Mercedes
>Major quality difference
2018 Hyundai (a meme brand 15 years ago) vs 2018 BMW
>almost no difference at all. Hyundai will probably outlast the beemer.
My dad's worn the same Timex for almost 35 years. He's a blue-collar worker and wears it every day.
He's owned the same rifle and shotgun since 1964 or so. Low-end examples that get used every year.
Mansion build out of OSB and with composite OSB joists and the exact same siding as on a Section 8 apartment.
Tell me all about quality differences, user.

politics are linked to everything now. Donald Trump is a glitch in the system, so the system rebels.

>Hyundai vs BMW
Massive quality differences.
Test drive both and report back.

youtube.com/watch?v=eJ3RzGoQC4s
Watch this then you know.

>I'm poor and make broad generalizations about consumer products
Trade in your PC for a 1995 Compaq Laptop then, Mister "It's all the same." Trade in your car for a station wagon and watch your gas bill go up. Only buy clothes from Goodwill.

Individualism.

Every single reputable car reviewer of age agrees with me. A 1986 Yugo is almost impossible to keep on the road at 75 mph. One actually blew off a bridge in Michigan once. Going 70 mph in an American musclecar is light-speed. You had to have a Corvette or European performance car to get that kind of performance.
Today a Ford Focus easily goes 100mph, stays on the road in ice and snow, and the quality of drivers has fallen precipitously as it takes almost no skill to drive at all.
I have driven a Hyundai and some BMWs... the convergence of their quality is apparent to anyone with a long experience with cars.
Perfect example. Computers used to rocket ahead. I had networks with Zenith 248s and Pentium IIs on the same working campus.
Today computers get traded out every 5 years or more.
A 1995 Compaq was a piece of heavy Iron, the generic no-name was a chintzy piece of shit. Today all computers are the same and you have to have a meme case and lights and other geegaws to get any differentiation.
You are blind if you don't see this.
>all products are the same and meme muh case and water-cooling is proof that there is no difference in products so you have to buy dingle-balls to make them different.
All products from China are especially the same. They have to fit in the same boxes and ship for the same money.

Consumerism is a matter of national security at this point.

If you don't keep the money circulating it could come down.

That's why Trump always talks up the economy.

Old Computers were durable but had just as many bell and whistle memes then , if not less, than they do now.
>Explain how they are different!
>Don't give me none of that different shit!
A 300 Laptop is objectively, aesthetically, and materially inferior to a 2000 dollar laptop. One will last longer and handle different tasks. Laptops as a consumer item are going down in sale anyway in favor of Smartphones, really only jobs purchase them. Your problem is assuming just because something looks vaguely alike, its the same.

They are ran by the same people

the fact that it was a totally meaningless thing to say that doesnt help anyone.

Because corporate welfare commie faggots and the Jews.

>Trade in your car for a station wagon and watch your gas bill go up. Only buy clothes from Goodwill.
All station wagons are the same. All hatchbacks are the same. All sedans are the same. All SUVs are the same.
A Rolls Royce shares the same chassis as a cheap sedan, has the same crash rating, a slight difference in power but NO difference in legal performance. The same fuel efficiency, the same RPM, the same heated seats, the same climate control... nothing is better on the Rolls.
You have to have the ball fuzz from 3rd world ophans for carpeting and LED lights to make the RR seem special at all.
Volvo is just as safe as every other car.
>1977 Ford Pinto, be rear-ended by bicycle and burst into flames.'
>1977 Volvo wagon, head-on a semi and walk away.
>2018 Volvo 2018 RR 2018 Holden, exact same 5-star safety rating.

because politics sells

remember how everything didn't used to be political from entertainment media to what you're eating?

>a 1977 Station Wagon has the same gas mileage and safety rating as a modern SUV
>a 2015 Camry has the same gas mileage and safety rating as a 2019 Camry
You are retarded. I'd take you more seriously if you posted nonexistant sources.

>Old Computers were durable but had just as many bell and whistle memes then , if not less, than they do now.
What part of needless differentiation provided by LEDs and water-cooling tubes do you not get?
>A 300 Laptop is objectively, aesthetically, and materially inferior to a 2000 dollar laptop. One will last longer and handle different tasks. Laptops as a consumer item are going down in sale anyway in favor of Smartphones, really only jobs purchase them. Your problem is assuming just because something looks vaguely alike, its the same.
I provided you exact proof based on internals, yet you pulled some "you are saying they look the same" right out of your ass exactly like a man that has lost an argument.
Smartphones have a load of shit you have to root/jailbreak to get off because they have absolutely no difference in performance between models and no difference in performance between generations, now.
In 1986, a cheap Sanyo stereo sounded like the shit it was with frequency response 100-10,000hz, and a high-end Blaupunkt with JL and Boston Acoustic speakers sounded like a Heavenly Symphony with a 20-20,000 hz dynamic range. The difference is immediately apparent. Today any car comes with an optional stereo system with subwoofer, and Blaupunkt doesn't even exist. Because of convergent evolution.
Now every single smartphone only have differences in performance in envelopes ABOVE what the average normie uses. There is only a difference to the nerds, point which I already made.
Product differentiation is a meme because of convergent evolution.
Face it, user, you have fallen for the Marketing Jew.

I said none of those things. You have shit reading comprehension, probably because you're stupid enough to think a RR badge on a car means it should cost $300,000 more than the exact same car with a VW badge.

Would you care to explain how all smartphone models are the same? Last I checked different Operating systems, bodies, functions, CPU and Cameras quantity as "different." But I'm sure yur gonna write this long drawn out paragraph about how these specs "don't really matter" and move the Goalpost yet again despite being unable to prove your point.

Because liberal democracy
In a liberal democracy we're all equal and thus we don't give a shit about anything else than our bubble. Which implies the material goods.
We spend the energy we'd be spending on politics on things like materialism.
= Liberal democracy.
I suggest you to read Tocqueville democracy in america 2
Great book
Burgers quit derailing these threads with your near retarded answers. You don't know shit you pleb.

Premium materials=premium price
If you think a RR has the same materials and effort put into it as a 2002 Honda Civic you are retarded. And probably poor.

gradesaver.com/democracy-in-america/study-guide/summary-vol-ii-part-2-chapters-1-20

If you truly care you'll read this.
If you don't give a shit you'll take the things coming out of the burgers

Take the same photos with the same apparent resolution and only a difference in stats that only nerds care about.
Provide the same functions.
Operate at the same network speed.
Now post some irrelevant nerd stat not a single normie cares about, so they need a "Takes a selfie of you with dog ears" app to be any different at all in use.
You seem stupid and tied to the idea of paying a lot for status, which I don't dispute: You pay $350,000 for a RR because I can't. But my car is exactly the same on the road in a legal manner and probably more reliable.
Differentiation, and thus identity politics, is a marketing tool.
Because all products are the same.
Go cry in a corner because you paid money for something that's no different.

I fucking said it required baby ball-fuzz to be different, you stupid motherfucker.
That was the point. In order to provide differentiatino, it's muh leather.
The cars are the same. The chassis is literally the same. The engine is the same. And the legal performance is the same.
Brands are differentiated by meaningless marketing, not function or even performance.

Also.
Reading this will make you understand why burgers are so retarded on average.
He explains it with genius when he tells some pleb he doesn't want to waste his time with him and the pleb just keeps on going because it actually thinks it's equal.

Edward Bernays.

yikes

Not the source.
Liberal democracy is the main source of political disinterest toward materialism. It couldn't be like that in a system of cast.
The shit you people add is secondary and came much later.

>Take the same photos with the same apparent resolution and only a difference in stats that only nerds care about.
Oh yes because ISO, HDR, and other things that DRAMATICALLY affect picture quality are nerdy stupid frivolous unneeded things. Brainlet.
>Operate at the same network speed.
Because 3G has the same connection as LTE? Brainlet
>Now post some irrelevant nerd stat not a single normie cares about
Just because you don't care about anything doesn't mean there is no rule of thumb or quality here. You are a BRAINLET. Ifs its' all so identical go shoot an IMAX movie with a 2008 iPhone. Cuz its all the same and minor differences are for nerds, and you aren't a nerd, you are a CHAD. A strong independent man.
>paying a lot for status
Nothing to do with it. RR have objective safety, luxury, material, and engine performance that put them leagues above any low-end car. But I guess facts are for nerds right?

RR is built on the BMW 7 Series platform, it's a 60K car being sold for 350K.

In times of equality people tend to be individualistic, disposing each citizen to isolate himself and limit his interests to a small circle of relatives and friends. This individualism is dangerous to society because it eventually merges into egoism, which "sterilizes the seed of every virtue."

Look how the burger enters the vein details, it's not their fault if they're retarded.
But be quiet peon. For the respect of the people above you.

Because religion and ideology has failed to give humanity a purpose larger than life.
We are now struck at the peak of our civilization, to be identified with what we consume

Y ep, and when every facet of your identity is customizable, you can be pandered to i n new and innovative ways.

Fuck off street shitting leaf.

Silence you luddite communist.

Americans cleave to their material prosperity with a feverish anxiousness, making them restless in their desire to enjoy as many pleasures as possible in a limited time. A result of this insatiable drive for comfort is that Americans are generally unable to sustain an enduring effort towards one goal, because they are so accustomed to instant gratification.

Equality is another cause of this restlessness. Equality can never be complete, because there are always inequalities of talent and intelligence. Yet the more equal conditions become, the more noticeable and irritating the slightest inequalities become, and the more insatiable the longing for equality becomes as well. This insatiable longing is the cause of general anxiousness and uneasiness

Read filthy plebs read nobody cares about the shit you think in your children's mind.

Canadians are culturally identical to Americans and so are you. If you were a purist you wouldn't be online.

Not to the source.
The us is founded upon liberal democracy
Canada is not.
And even you telling me it's a big nothing burger shows how you don't know jackshit.

Really? I was just at the low-end cell store and every single phone has HDR, 4GLTE, and cameras that all exceed a normie's perception in resolution. The phone market is boiling down to Apple v Samsung which have different OSs but the exact some output in terms of use.
Smartphones are all the same, nerdlet.
>RR have objective safety,
No they don't, that's a law. Learn more kid.
>luxury, material,
That's exactly what I said, dipshit. You need the fluff to differentiate the car now.
>engine performance
Not at legal speeds, they don't. No one will drive the cars on a track, and no one will care about getting better passing performance than your average I-4 200hp engine, except you.
Which is what you pay for. To know you have something different.
But the cars are not different.
In 1986, they WERE different.
You are slow.

The taste for physical pleasures can lead people to be industrious, form associations and exercise their political freedom. Yet because the greed for pleasure can also make people forget about the connection between private wealth and general prosperity, people may disdain the exercise of their political rights. In such a climate of political indifference, a despot or a small faction could easily come to power as long as he guarantees good order and material prosperity. Americans have not fallen into this state because they regard freedom "as the best tool and the firmest guarantee for their prosperity."

You don't know jackshit. Not a single thing you say is provable. Go back to Mundus Millenials

The social instability inherent in democracy combined with a skeptical outlook on life which questions the possibility of great lasting achievements can lead people to limit their endeavors to ephemeral and petty aims. Philosophers and legislators must, in such a case, strive to help people look more to the future and establish long-term goals.

I don’t know shit about cars but you’re very wrong in your generalization.

I know with complete certainty that with modular furniture there are drastic differences in quality between brands. Your issue seems to be that he difference isn’t always reflected in price appropriately. That’s called market value. Everything at the time of purchase is worth whatever a consumer is willing to pay for it. Do your research and don’t fall victim to advertising. Being cynical about every product being he exact same is naive and counter productive. There actually ARE differences between handmade knives and stamped steel. Why don’t construction workers buy all their tools from Harbor Freight? It’s because the quality of the product doesn’t work for the job. You can be nonsensically bitter about buying your stupid Suburu or you can assess where you need a higher quality product to accomplish a goal you have and shut the fuck up like the rest of working America.

It is.
The US was founded upon liberal democracy
Modern europe later adopted it, it wasn't born with it, same with Canada. And my friend that's where stems the typical burger arrogance.
The proud ignorant who doesn't give a shit because deep inside no matter what he feels as entitled as you.
It's typical from burgers, it makes them despicable retard with 30 layers of plastic ego, yes, it is a thing.
Fuck off peon, kiss my feet

don’t get the obsession with cars. unless you have a legitimate interest in them it does not make sense to me to pay upwards of 30k usd for one. it’s only a way how to get from point a to point b. buying one as a status symbol is bullshit, aside from being shallow as fuck i never saw anybody mirin another person because of a car they bought.

Why you mad?

I post this sometimes too, very educational.

Yeah the car thing is dumb. I can understand how people like them but it’s not something you’re using much of the day (for some) and it mostly sits in your garage.

It’s a hobby. I think it’s a dumb hobby but everyone has dumb hobbies and strange appreciations.

Fair enough, but modular furniture, despite if you are a millenial who buys that and is around it a lot, is not a driver of anything other than modular furniture.
>cars
>computers
>phones
>homes
>planes
Those are the types of things that drive culture, and they have converged, sometimes due to legislation when there is no rational way to argue that they aren't the same, such as car safety.
> There actually ARE differences between handmade knives and stamped steel.
There are. I have a stamped steel paring knife and it's enough. There are handmade paring knives that are fucking awesome, but I don't need one. My stamped steel, plastic handle knife far exceeds my use. ANYTHING BETTER IS A STYLE difference, which is what I stated originally and continue to state.
>Why don’t construction workers buy all their tools from Harbor Freight?
True, but then construction workers are not your average consumer, as you've just pointed out. And tool marketing has become a thing BECAUSE OF THE LACK OF DIFFERENTIATION IN THE MAIN CONSUMER PRODUCTS.
And tool collecting is it's own hobby, which is a new thing because there is no difference in the base products. So the idea of having a hobby to buy things is now itself a consumer division, like RC cars, watches, vapes, and other soyboy shit pursuits.

Yeah much of it is stupid consumerism. Not much you can do about other people’s spending habits but write a book.

I hope you have a nice cup of coffee this morning. I prefer instant. I used a French press for years. People turn their noses at the instant coffee but it’s great! The world is full of strange creatures. Love it or hate it. Well all go to the dust eventually, just find what fulfills you.

I come to boards to mash keys. This all means nothing. I'm actually a rich guy that collects watches, cars, and builds custom gaming rigs. I made my money selling smartphones.

cause of target demographics lel

>totally meaningless

just like this thread

My grandma has a 95 merc that is still a phenomenal car today. It's not the fastest or flashy in terms of amenities but it's ride quality and acceleration are great even today. I rented a Hyundai the last time I was on vacation and it doesn't even come close to the Mercedes (don't know why a brand new car would have lifter ticker)

So my grandparents bought a car for $45k 23 years ago that has served them well for that entire period or you can buy a new Hyundai every 10 years, pay the same and not even come close to the quality and comfort.

checked

>digits

must be true, congrats

Frankly, old Mercs are trash. '95 is just about the the latest year you can buy a quality merc.
You should tell Gramma to go buy a 2005 Merc.
Also, I know your story is bullshit because Merc doesn't use some super rubber for the bushings and door gaskets. That shit hardens and rots like the cheapest cars, ruins the ride, makes noises, and changes the handling.
Just saying, I know a fuckload about cars so people telling me "well this old what and waht does this and that" I know they are either thinking "well it's an old Merc so it's good..." which is bias, or they're completely full of shit.
Wires chafe, hoses rot, bushings crumble, and plastic hardens. So what you have is a unicorn car because maybe a 1970 Merc would last in it's original condition for decades, but no '95 car will. Not a single one, not even a Merc.
Is it possible it's still a nice ride? Sure, I'll buy that. But then again, that was in '95...
And if your Hyundai had a problem, that doesn't mean much. Hundais are overall more reliable than '95 Mercs. Sorry.
I might have bought '85 or earlier High-end Merc.