en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_New_York_Times_Manga_Best_Sellers_of_2016
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

who gives a shit

>fuck you I don't have to define my terms
Opinion discarded.

well
fucking
duh?

That's because any series that starts selling well enough gets an official translation. As scummy as it is I'll give them credit for trying to reverse cause and effect to push their narrative/business.

>Makes claim
>No proof

Plus, it's the opposite. Shit gets scanlated because there's no other way to read it. Of course no one wants to buy the official translation when it finally comes out a decade later.

It's the digital age, there's no excuse for American distributors to sit on their ass for so long with translations.

Also, I don't care about supporting US distributors, who gives a fuck. They're lazy and do shit work.

Wow, this is so unexpected, I think this piece of news is gonna change the anime industry forever.

I'm gunna steal this digital copy teehee

> Wait 10 years to translate
> Shocked, SHOCKED that cold iron doesn't sell

What popular series that wasnt somehow scanlated despite its popularity sold well?

Lol. Asking for scientific standards is besides the point.

That's like saying "sunlight causes cancer, but asking what conditions and amount of sun is missing the point. Just avoid the sun all together"

>higher quality free product which releases content faster than a lower quality paid service dominates the market share

Woah...So this is the power.....Of analytics.

>listening to some cunt who calls herself Deb

Women were a mistake. I have more than 7 solid years of data to back that up.

of course if something is scanlated it wont sell, that's why its scanlated, because its not popular enough to get a proper translation.

literally this desu

Wow, I am not paying jews to translate my stuff so they can toss a penny at japan for every 100 volumes sold. I should feel bad I am destroying an industry that is always complaining about dying but never dies.

yet publishers mostly license scanlated titles. seems legit

>The translations themselves are shit, paper quality is awful, and for some series they actually edit out certain lewd parts so they don't have to plastic wrap and r18 sticker them.
>Shocked when it doesn't sell.

>One Punch Man
>Naruto
>Attack on Titan
>Not heavily scanlated

>scanlated manga won't sell
>manga left unpublished because it isn't popular
Ok sweetie you start churning out the literal tonnes of yuri manga I read then we talk.

Sort of Gundam Origin's Vertical release. The series was only ever half translated/scanned and the hardback release sold really well for a manga. Although this was a really weird case where the series had gone neglected for years and there was a large push by the fans to go and actually buy and support the series and the books themselves were actually pretty damn nice with color pages, decent paper quality, and lots of extra content like guest comics and interviews by popular mangaka, directors, etc.

This just in.
One Piece, Naruto and Bleach sold poorly in foreign countries.
Apparently.

I have no idea how they can even compare scanlated licensed title and non-scanlated licensed titles. The only non-scanlated titles to be licensed are typically scans with excessive liberties taken (ie Lupin), heavily dependent on Japanese humor (Crayon Shin-Chan), or academic (read: shit printed in Garo fifty years ago that doesn't sell in Japan either).

It's the publication industry. Look at American comics. Most sell at under 20k/month, but they're supported by the blockbusters selling 100k to make up for their loss.

Why would the manga publishing industry in the West be any different?

>Ok sweetie
Fuck off with this sweetie shit faggot.

>has nothing but praise for the Death Note Netflix adaptation on her twitter feed
Opinion discarded

Don't forget their target was one of the most autistic otaku fanbases on the web, who will pay anything for more UC Gundam.

Who is this bitch and why should I care what she tweets? If the manga authors don't care about scanlations neither will I. It's 2017, there's no excuse for us distributors to take a decade for translations. Scanlators do that shit in days, just hire them ffs and stop spending all your money on marketing and social media monkeys

I hope they know that most series scanlated aren't even licensed in terms of US releases.

Sounds like bullshit.
Shounenshit still sells like hotcakes and it's the definition of heavily scanlated. You'd think only unscanlated manga would sell by that logic, but I don't see publishers in America publishing niche stuff. Manga sales are thriving in countries like France and Italy, but it's easier to find a scapegoat than to admit the American market is shit. Decades of capeshit have killed the mainstream comic book culture and there's not enough weebs to compensate.

>no really, our industry is different than everyone else!
>but we won't tell you anything specific about the data

>big shounen are the biggest sellers
>big shounen are the most scanlated series
>series that have little/no scanlation have no fanbase
>series that aren't well known don't sell for shit and get cancelled, leaving fans salty because fucking companies will DMCA scanlations even when they have no intention of pursuing official releases due to non-profitability

really makes you think

Yeah, Vertical actually put effort into their release. Unlike those jews, the former Tokyopop who used garbage quality paper and had shit translations. I did always respect how they would take on just about anything though and not just the popular stuff.

The US comic industry is super fucked and really needs a massive overhaul. Unfortunately, I don't see that happening until Diamond is abandoned or goes bankrupt

Kill yourself.

How many series with official ENG/EU releases weren't also scanlated though? I saw this only a few times and it were always unpopular series nobody scanned because nobody asked for it. Not that they were bad, but I highly doubt they sold better than scanlated ones. The western hits are always series that have shit tons of scans like the big shounen and shoujo series, sports stuff and such.

Cool.

Please write "USA" when you mean the USA, don't use 'The West', it's confusing. It's the USA that has major problems with its publication industry, not the rest of the west.

>scanlation vs. official translations

Ok.

Seriously, what DOES "heavily" scanlated mean? Is she saying that things that have lots of scanlators, like Jump every week? Things that have been scanlated fully? Things that have popular scanlations?

You mean like stuff you have read online anyway?

Does that mean that manga title that aren't scanlated always sell?

Viz announced 4 scanlated titles yesterday.

No shit that series that have been getting scanlated for years won't sell if the official scanlations take a fucking eternity to even catch up.

The big three or four american comics publishers need to pull all their titles, disband and start over in a capefree world.

Yeah like Bleach, Naruto, One Piece, Attack on Titan.

too bad the rippers scene is dead and you need to read from cancergroups.

>Vertical actually put effort into their release.
Depends of their releases. They flipped Tezuka for fuck sake.
Vertical just want to make money, and they figured "classier" releases would sell. There's no other reason for using those idiotic hardcovers.

So are you going to publish Hyouge Mono and Rainbow? I've been waiting for years for those manga to be fully translated. What?! You aren't! Because they're not popular?!

The reason we have scanlators you dumb halfu is that there are countless numbers of niche manga that only a dedicated group of fans have the patience and time to translate and who aren't looking to make mega bucks when they do.

I don't even know if manga is really as niche as they claim it to be. Not American but here in Germany we get tons of niche series I never saw any threads for or series none American seems to have read and we get tons of new series every few months. I highly doubt they would release so much if manga sales were rather bad.

Lies. "Heavily scanlated "manga in France sell a lot.

Here is it how it actually works
>publishers see a popular scanlated manga
>they decide to buy the rights and sell it in the states
>they are then surprised because not everyone who read the scanslation buys the official translation

Translate Weiss Side B and I'll buy it.

>"heavily scanlated"
What does he even mean by this

I still stand by "the West" claim. Certain titles prop up the rest of the industry. It's certainly more noticeable in America, but it happens everywhere.

Though dumb opinions like pic related do seem exclusive to the US.

If you're talking about the Gundam books, they're HC here in Japan too. It's especially strange because nothing ever gets a hardcover. One of the few titles I've ever seen with the treatment.

>publisher realises their mistake
>publisher buys the rights to little known manga with no anime adaptation for next to nothing
>they are again surprised because this little known manga sells even less than heavily scanlated manga
>decide to focus solely selling heavily scanlated manga and just complaining constantly about people not buying your manga

>uh, you're kinda missing the point

Sup Forums once again misses the point deliberately

Saying 'we now have 7 solid years of data that prove that manga titles that are heavily scanlated don't sell.' reasonably implies the opposite. That manga titles which are not heavily scanlated DO sell well. Otherwise she cannot be making the claim

Instead you go on the defensive and claim that means that the title must suck, or lacks fans, or whatever. That's problematic however, titles with official releases get exposure, even if they aren't particularly good titles they probably sell well enough. However titles with scanlation projects don't sell because people would rather pirate.

Get over yourselves and stop pretending that your actions have no consequences. I'm sick of the idiocy of this board sometimes.

up to date?

Define heavily scanlated and we can take you seriously.

>200 chapters scanlated
>Hey guys we are dropping it because of the official releases!
>now play 2-3 years of catch up on volumes before you can continue the story
No shit no one wants to buy volumes of something that basically stopped them reading said series.

They jumped on Naruto extremely early, and Attack on Titan was pretty early aswell since its a monthly series. OPM also pretty early if you want to not include the webcomic into what they were picking up.

That doesnt explain when they release unscanslated shit.

Most popular releases currently in germany here. I doubt that all scanlated series sell bad in america.

You forgot
>use cheap paper, with an awful translation, and possibly even flipped

In the USA I guess. The French market, were I live is still extremelly alive and people buy and collect the items the like nearly as fanatically as real Japs

Thanks user this was good for a laugh.

Nah.
They'd be telling people if that was the case.

What manga sells best in the US anyways.

My knee jerk reaction is more along the lines of, you don't have more like 30 years of data showing this?

I was strictly talking about The Origin. Which was why it sold so well. I don't see why you hate hard covers. Shit is more durable.

>One Piece, Naruto and Bleach sold poorly in foreign countries.

No, it's just America. Germany, France, Italy, or Spain. Any of those countries easily outsell he US when it comes to manga.
American market is simply saturated with capeshit. It defines American comics and non-capeshit simply does not sell because comic readers are nerds, nerds who love their gay dudes in colorful spandex.

>localisation
>calling it "official translation"

Bitch better pay royalties to Britain.

i have 17 years of data proving that publishers hardly ever license unscanlated series.

>heavily scanlated
>one group doing translations
>heavily
>scanlated

>en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_New_York_Times_Manga_Best_Sellers_of_2016

lol it's literally all stuff with a serious scanlation scene

In Italy it's One Piece, Dragonball, and Eoten onslaught.

If something is popular - Translate it your damn self when it comes out. it's not difficult. It's not expensive. Sorry, that is just a fucking lie. They just don't want to do it.

>Saying 'we now have 7 solid years of data that prove that manga titles that are heavily scanlated don't sell.' reasonably implies the opposite. That manga titles which are not heavily scanlated DO sell well.
Statistically speaking, you cannot make that conclusion based on that data.

Why are French publishers so much more daring when it comes to picking up "niche" titles? Dozens of excellent series have gone completely unnoticed among American readers over the decades.

They really should just start selling localized manga as collector's items. Make the quality really high, sell it for higher price. That way people who have already read the series have an incentive to buy it.

I checked the tweets, claims it's quoted from that manga publisher panel and that she didn't say any of them.

It actually sells.

Here in mexico people will buy anything that gets realesed just for the sake of buying it the industry is pretty alive here

Pd: we contribute a lot to spanish (spain) manga sales

Bigger and more varied market can absorb niche products. For example, I'd bet the french print a lot more josei manga than the american industry.