AZ Charter Schools

Are the charter schools in AZ a good or a bad thing? I constantly see lefties and the media talking shit about charter schools here which makes me kneejerk think they are a good thing. A few searches show that of the top 10 high schools in America, 5 of them are AZ charter schools.
I saw a lefty friend who is a teacher in an AZ public school post this and go on a long rant about how charter schools here are ruining education in AZ so I don't know what to think. Article related: azcentral.com/story/opinion/op-ed/ej-montini/2018/02/10/charter-schools-bilk-you-dump-kids-and-lawmakers-dont-care/324359002/

Other urls found in this thread:

azcentral.com/story/opinion/op-ed/2017/10/20/charter-schools-failing-parents-and-taxpayers/770295001/
en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/1838_Mormon_War
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

They hate it because the schools only let white kids in.

In education there are the motivated and the unmotivated, and these groups naturally separate. This happens in individual classes- what makes advanced classes aren't the teachers, but the students. Charter schools are an extension of this, and accepting natural hierarchy is inherently right wing. They're good.

On another note: I have a full ride opportunity at NAU- is it worth is? Weather's nice up in Prescott, but there's required diversity classes even for engineering degrees... Any AZ bros went there and can tell me if there's a way around it or if the school isn't bad besides this?

So is that Democrats main argument against it, everyone should be forced to sit in classrooms where Pedro wants to stab Paco and no one learns shit? The thing that I see most is that charter schools steal money from public schools, and that's not fair to kids who don't get in to charter schools.

You'd be hard pressed to find a college these days that doesn't have forced diversity classes, unless the school specifically advertises it as a conservative college. I went to an engineering school in CA that was full of all the latest progressiveness and everyone in engineering just kind of ignored it or mocked it.

Saging to not bump on double post. Here's some of the arguments against it.

I attended a charter middle/high school in Arizona and this sounds about right to me. Very underfunded in a lot of areas and lots of people leaving early, with pretty much the only benefit being around a bunch of very bright kids. Also, it was EXCLUSIVELY run by Turks.

Flagstaff. Nau is in flagstaff. You sure you’re smart enough for college?

Well, unfair distribution of money in education is a problem throughout Arizona, with money laundering and boomer-tier budgeting (yet we still have high welfare). Charter schools are problems when they drain funding, but when they are simply merit based and have more rigorous course load they are fairly ideal. As for the motivated non-charter kids, they should have the chance to take Honors English while Pedro learns grammar in normal English. If this isn't how most high schools are set up, either the school is shit because they cater to minorities, or it's in a more multicultural area of Arizona where not much can be done until they're sent back.
Also, thanks for the mandatory diversity class info. Glad that most Stem students at the least haven't lost their mind.

I attended a college prep private school. My SAT scores were WAY better than public school students. I graduated business school at a large university with a 4.0.

Yea, private/charter schools are so bad. How dare they prepare kids for college in such a shitty way.

ps. I have a job that pays very well. Interestingly most management was also private schooled. Might be a pattern emerging...

I took women's studies just so I could learn what agenda these bat-shit women were pushing. I had no problem regurgitating their shit to get an A in the class.

I am not a fan of the cold, but if you have a free ride from NAU....do it.

>Leftists hating private-like institutions
You don't say OP?

Also, can any other AZ bros give me a rundown on Mormons? Are they /our goys/ or not?

Free market in education is good..

i went to a charter school in AZ for 7 years, middle to high school.
was the better for it, got a classical education and turned out way better than my drop out parents/siblings. the downside to them is they have many homeschooled/sheltered kids.
they are technically public schools but receive a thousand dollars per student less funding from the state. public schools hate them because all the good teachers go there because there's less drama, no license required, and generally the kids' parents care more.
i understand why lefties hate them because they are prominently white, religious, and middle class (and middle class means RICH to them). my school was 85% white. i'm mexican so i was "diverse" lol. the schools dont discriminate in who they accept, just the work required naturally excludes many students. fair enough, your education shouldnt be a fucking daycare.
they can be very strict. i went to tempe preparatory academy, which is one of the older ones. it's pre-great hearts and basis. great hearts and basis are the two highest performing charter schools. there are some charter schools that are flimsy and they fit the misfits of public school. however, great hearts/basis are the highest performing ones.

same guy here, i would like to mention that my school accepts people by lottery. im pretty sure the majority of them do too. it's only 7-12 education, not some gifted school.

just curious, did you vote red or blue? how about other mexicans you know?

Charter schools are great. They are way more advanced. Shitty teachers get fired and aren't protected by tenure. The best of the best teach at charter schools.

My friend's kids were A students in public school, and they got enrolled in charter schools and were C,D, and F students until they got their shit together.

red. im on pol after all. other mexicans vote mostly blue.

Do you have any knowing as to why they all vote blue? Is it just because of welfare or a stigma that Republicans are racist or something?
I didn't even vote just to be intellectually honest here

It's all about the gibs

I think a lot of them are Catholic and watch the news. Without any other influence that's enough brainwashing to turn most normies blue.

NAU alum here, Flag is full of commiefornians and transplants from Washington state trying to turn the city into a mini-Seattle. I never took any diversity classes but I was there from 2011 - 2013. Things may have changed. The entire political science department are lefty as fuck but they're pretty subtle about it.

The problem in Arizona is that unsavory people are using them as get-rich-quick schemes by milking the government of its tax dollars and putting their under-qualified or completely unqualified family members in high paid low function positions. There's hilariously few guidelines and regulations on ANY of it.

Basically, if you think to yourself "lol well they're just smart about it" you're justifying all of the trickery that (((they))) do to milk the system.

>putting their under-qualified or completely unqualified family members in high paid low function positions
Citation needed.

Also if these teachers are so terrible how it is that the students are doing so well academically? (I will grant you that there have been a small number of shady charter schools, but the vast majority are much better).

>Citation needed.
Alright:
>azcentral.com/story/opinion/op-ed/2017/10/20/charter-schools-failing-parents-and-taxpayers/770295001/

>The first policy report, Following the Money, presents financial data on charter school management salaries from IRS declarations. These figures illustrate one reason why charter administrative costs per pupil are twice district management costs.

>Charter school administrators, often the same people as the charter holders, typically earn 50 percent or more than their public district school colleagues of similarly-sized districts or schools.

>Unlike district schools, the people who administer charters are legally permitted to sit on the board that determines salaries, including their own.

>One case showed two administrators earning $500,000 for managing one school with fewer than 300 students. The top earners are often husband and wife teams or other relatives receiving more than $100,000 a piece to oversee a few hundred children.

>In another case, the top administrator earned nearly $200,000, even though the small charter’s academic performance has been failing. Equally disturbing were CEOs running charter schools from another state or country, earning huge compensation while paying their Arizona teachers poorly.

tl;dr: they're just the means by which scammers can get salaries footed by the tax payer, then create a whole bunch of bullshit administrative jobs that they give to family members at HUGE expenses. Anybody that supports this shit might as well give a million dollars to every nigger walking this country.

>Public policy must be called out when it is not working as intended. The report's key recommendations provide a pathway forward. Charter schools must:

>Conduct public competitive bid processes similar to public district schools.
>Ensure consistency among AFRs, audits and IRS 990 filings, including using the same accounting method, Cash, Accrual, or Modified Accrual across all reports.
>Adopt executive salaries comparable to similarly-sized public district schools.
>Be subject to annual audits by the state Auditor General similar to public district schools.

So the article is written by a retired teacher and school administrator working for the Grand Canyon Institute advocating charter schools function like a public school and government oversight. This institute seems to solely attack charter schools and is top heavy with democrats. I smell other motives here like trying to sway public opinion against charter schools in order to shut them down.

Literally this, fpbp, no niggers in charter schools here

Granted, but on an objective level, do you tolerate the things highlighted? You may not like the person taking aim, but you're fucking nuts if you approve the (((practices))) of the target.

What it boils down to is this: education is flawed in America, regardless of the label slapped on it. They're all money pits and run by shitty people that do NOT put kids at the forefront of consideration. Saying that charter schools are some sort of panacea rather than a different type of poison is idiotic.

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/1838_Mormon_War

We owe the corrupt a visit

it's the gibs.
catholic implies anti-abortion implies red.
but that sweet $$$ is more important.
at least thats how a hispanic friend explained it to me.