Haibane Renmei

Why has no one ever attempted an anime like this again?

Did it bomb in Japan?

Why do some people feel a deep, personal connection with the plot while others find it to be terrible and boring?

It was boring and flopped. Also pretentious.

stupid and boring. didn't we have a haibane thread clutter up Sup Forums yesterday?? i'm feeling tired...

the plot was boring and made no sense. the animation was terrible, and the colors were bland and could put you to sleep. nothing else to be said really, moving on

People say it was too short, but it really should have just been a 4 or 5 episode OVA or maybe a small movie. There really wasn't much going on, so I don't get the point.

Why do some people have good taste while others have bad taste?

Because it was ABe's own little thing

I hate nu-Sup Forums so much

If you're new to Sup Forums and lurking this thread, don't be like the dumbfucks you can observe above.

listen, take your nostalgia goggles off and rewatch it. it won't be nearly as impactful or enjoyable the second time around when you realize all its flaws and shortcomings. truth be told, it's really on the low-end of the quality spectrum...

.hack//sign & Haibane are two of my favorite anime & both of them don't look that great visually.

But both of them IMO have fantastic stories that draw you into the world, but if you don't like that kind of slow-paced story telling, you won't like either of them.

It's also the same reason why I love Shinsekai Yori, Jinrui wa Suitai Shimashita & other similar anime.

atleast they havn't reached texnholyze and lain yet

but give them another months and they'll shit all over it

You say it like if it was a Toonami anime that people saw as a tween so it gets too much praise. Haibane Renmei is like any other anime one that you seek out and I don't see how nostalgia plays a part in it.

I always see people trash .hack but I liked Haibane and Shinsekai Yori
Should I watch it?

I love spot the newfag threads

Nostalgia doesn't play a part really, he's just being a snide contrarian. He's also sucking shit at that, though.

whatever bro, threads about dead anime die quickly, so this thread won't last long, i guarantee it, you just watch...

It has one of the best soundtracks ever & the story is more of a super natural version of getting stuck in a video game.

The lore of the series is also really deep because there were several PS games, so even if you don't want to emulate them, you can learn a lot more about the universe through wikis.

There are a few other anime/manga in the .hack series, but //sign definitely has a different feel from the later ones.

>made no sense
You must be 18+ to post here.

It was a product of a specific time. It was written and designed almost entirely by Yoshitoshi ABe, and his friend Yasuyuki Ueda produced it. They worked together on Lain. I am not sure how they got funding for it, but the budget was fairly low. I don't think it sold particularly well at first, however it is regarded pretty highly over there as it got a blu-ray release years later, and ABe was able to sell lots of doujin's about it every year at Comiket for about a decade.

I think it really resonates with a particular personality type, or at least with people who have gone through similar things. If you can't relate to the characters at all (whether due to lack of life experience or just not like them) then I could see it being boring, as the first half is very slow.

>I think it really resonates with a particular personality type
yeah, shut-in beta autists who never went outside, i mean rakka literally acts and talks like an autist in the anime, maybe that's why so many on Sup Forums relate to her...

check out the thread from yesterday here: continuing from that I liked the last question someone posted:
"What did you guys think about that "circle of sin" stuff that the masked guy told Rakka about? If you recognize your own sin, then you have no sin or something. Was it easier for Rakka to get out of because of how the crows lured her to the dead one? Or was Rakka more courageous for even going down there in the first place?"

It is a very Buddhist and Christian idea.

>...
I watched it for the first time as well as twice more last year and it was even more impactful each time because I kept finding more details and meanings that I didn't pick up on with each viewing. Something's not "low on the quality spectrum" because a child like you didn't get it.

So it says if you recognize your sin, you have no sin, but later on, the guy says you cannon forgive your own sin even if you recognize it. What did that mean?

these ones didnt apparently

really? I thought it was better the second time around since you knew how to interpret all of the double meanings in the conversations and could see all the hints about what was coming.

The animation quality isn't great but the aesthetic is spot on and aged better than a lot of moe shows did.

cannot*

>Why do some people feel a deep, personal connection with the plot while others find it to be terrible and boring?
Because there was barely any narrative. It was mostly symbolic and symbolism is as subjective as you can get when it comes to writing devices.
As someone who doesn't care for symbolism, it did feel pretty underwhelming.

Simple. It was shit.

Fuck off.

Did I hurt your feelings, user?

>Naruto threads on Sup Forums used to get you banned
>Boruto thread up on Sup Forums completely unharmed, nobody bashing it at all

>Haibane threads used to be regular with enhanced discussions about its themes and storyline direction
>today, Haibane is treated worse than Naruto

It's a paradox you can feel trapped in. If you think you have no sin, you are prideful and therefore are sinning. If you recognize you are sinning then you can be forgiven, but you can't forgive yourself. The answer is that you can't save yourself, you need others. Rakka had the person represented by the bird (probably her mother or father) while Reki had Rakka reach out to her.

It was more along the lines of forgiveness and forgiving yourself. If you feel guilty over something, you will beat yourself up over it and feel like you dont deserve to be saved.

there was a thread for the past two days that hit 400 replies and there were barely any shitposts. It's luck of the draw.

Hawawa~

>moe show
Moe=/=cute. Unless you're going out of your way to use such terms in a misguided attempt to get weeb cred, stop if you don't even fucking understand them and just describe them normally.

I literally cannot unsee that now

Boruto isn't popular as Naruto was back then

>The answer is that you can't save yourself, you need others.
Who saved Kuu?

In general, yes, but Boruto is far more popular than Naruto ever was on Sup Forums thanks to the nonstop 24/7 Generals.

Kuu wasn't ever trapped by the circle of sin, she was just a typical Haibane with her own flaws. Kuu realized she could be her own person without trying to be everyone else or something she was not. At that point she was ready to move on.

I meant moe style of the early 2000's. please don't make me go get the renmei to yell at you.

You said something so fucking stupid that that response was all I can give. You must have a very narrow idea of what makes for a tangible, "objective" narrative because the show is certainly not lacking in one. What the hell are your standards for narrative?

It's a kind of sick moral to be telling those as in real life there are countless people who need someone who never get someone even when they cry out for help.

Moe also isn't a style, you ape. It's a feeling similar to endearment. You could say that it was meant to illicit the feeling of moe but a cute style isn't inherently going for that. The use of blue in film is often used in dour or sad scenes but you wouldn't go calling all movies with a heavy use of blue a sad movie.

>What the hell are your standards for narrative?
A story? Haibane is pretty fucking vanilla when it comes to bare basic story. Compared to something like Lain where you need to understand a lot of shit to get a handle on the story, you don't really have to think at all to get the gist of its story, which is only in about 4 of its episodes spread out along the show.

It doesn't mean you can't be saved if someone doesn't come for you. Reki who was struggling reached out to others and became someone who could be saved.

In general if you try to connect with other people despite the possibility of being hurt by them you will feel so much better. Instead of turning inwards and bottling up your problems, its better to turn to others and share in your struggles

why are you so angry? you have a bird out there too, you know that right?

>see Haibane OP, expecting comfy thread, 50 posts not bad
>come into thread
>people whining about the show and bickering back and forth

Sup Forums is kil

go read this one it was super comfy

Yeah, but slow as hell. It took 3 days to reach that many posts, and it didn't even hit the bump limit. This one's at 50 posts in the span of an hour, making this thread 6x faster, but it's filled with garbage. Why can't we have both a fast-moving and comfy Haibane thread?

>Kuu realized she could be her own person without trying to be everyone else or something she was not

Is that the plateau that Haibane are attempting to reach though? To become a complete person? I don't disagree with you, I'm just trying to figure out what triggers a Haibane to move on, and I think from there we can go back and figure out why they're in Glie in the first place.

I wonder if their presence is Glie is something so grand as becomming a complete person. I kind of think maybe the Haibane are drawn there in order to fix a certain character flaw. From the start, Kuu was a pretty childish and immature girl, tending to act like a child out in public and was often attempting to emulate the older Haibane she was friends with. Maybe Rakka's arrival finally instilled a feeling of being an adult there in old home, which allowed her to fix her own flaw of being childish (I don't know if you'd call that a flaw per se, but hopefully you see where I'm coming from). Kuu confided in Rakka she wanted to be like an older sister to her, and Rakka said she'd like that. Not long after, Kuu departs. We don't see much of them interacting, but it's not hard to believe that Kuu perhaps took on a more mature personality to help Rakka get accustomed to life there in Glie.

Similarly, Reki's flaw was her inability to rely on others. She began to learn how to rely on Kuramori, but she left before Reki was done. Reki then regressed to a point where she hid her flaw and learned to turn it around. Once Rakka came along though and showed her true kindness, she finally accepted that she could rely on others.

The flaws of the other characters are something we could guess at, but they're not spelled out quite as much.

I'm annoyed at you misusing that term, at the general misuse of the term in general, and on a larger scale, people feeling the need to use words like moe and shit all the time when they could just use English words instead. It leads to a bunch of idiots going around and using it incorrectly. The fact that moe carries such a negative connotation nowadays is proof of this. It's like how people misuse words like "animation" (when referring to the character designs, shot composition, or other elements that don't techically have to do with it), "epic", and "literally".

because it's Haibane. Not Lain, not any other good oldie. Haibane appeals to little people
threads were full and more fast moving, without garbage and trolls, at least 3 years ago; but people either leaves Sup Forums, move on or die.

for me Haibane is about people dying without accomplishing anything, nor having any dream or a reason to live.
then you have people like Reki and Rakka who most likely committed suicide
so yeah, Kuu moved on because she realized that she can have a goal, that she had to become something, that she can't be childish and helpless all her life. Rakka helped to that, sure.
Reki on the other hand is more complex. She finally had a goal, but she could never forgive herself.

>literally
I literally think you're literally retarded for literally hating the usage of the word "literally."

Does a Haibane's wings twitch when he/she has an orgasm?

Y-yamero, that tickles!!

Finally, somebody remembers.

Yes, and their halo spins faster
>tfw can't fuck a haibane because I am not secondhand goods

Underage posting is against the rules.

Wouldn't that be a problem for Rakka since her halo spinning faster would cause her hair to go out of control?

>most likely
I'd say definitely.

Why is tomboy best girl?

That's what I'm leaning towards too. I think they all had "flaws" and died unfulfilled. Glie seems to be a place where they can safely resolve those issues before moving on. I agree with you on Kuu and Reki. Rakka had similar issues as Reki did, but had the bird to "save" her and realize that people really did care about her and wanted to help her. Nemu probably resolved her issues by becoming friends with Reki and caring for her, and would have moved on if she wasn't waiting to help Reki. I don't know about Hikari and Kana. I could guess Hikari is kind of scatterbrained and doesn't think things through before talking, so being an older haibane "in charge" might help her. Kana is kind of lazy but I think she needs to accomplish something (like fixing the bell tower and being a responsible person) to move on.

I think we are only seeing more Haibane threads because crunchyroll just added it so people are finally seeing it again.

I thought nu-Sup Forums liked this sort of stuff to be "hehe pseud thoughts fight for social equality". Its comfy.

Could a reboot of Haibane Renmei work today?

Say, it picks up where the old anime leaves off with the twin Haibane being born.

To be honest I don't think the haibane are all that sexual either. They are all teenagers/early 20's and nothing seems to really go on between them. Reki and Hyouko are the closest to a "thing" but even that wasn't for romance. Plus relationships would get in the way of why they are haibane and what they need to do to move on.

That and lewding the haibane feels kinda gross

there is no point though. It tells a complete story and adding anything else would just take away from its message and feeling of "realness"

The fact that you want more just goes to show how good it is, and nothing could live up to what you imagine happens after.

Lewding the Haibane feels weird. I can lewd almost anything but there's just something unlewdable about them.

Sora no Woto is Haibane Renmei done right.

Rakka is kinda hard. Maybe she didn't want to commit suicide at the very end, but she coudn't help it or something happened, she slipped or something. She's a klutz.
Hikari has just to move on out her little world in her brain, and Kana is currently fulfilling what she must do, and she really likes it, so she doesn't wanna go soon at least until she fulfills it. But yes, I agree with your point.

No. Too much generic cute, bland scenarios, shitty cgi, and generic designs. Sure, Haibane had crap animation, but the scenario, design and even soundtrack was spot on.
Also Haibane is a really closed world, up to you to interpret it. Or read that murakami book.

>try to find lewd pics of Rakka
>0 results found

Thank you, Internet.

At least some things in this world are still sacred.

>for me Haibane is about people dying without accomplishing anything, nor having any dream or a reason to live.
I agree, and this is why I believe that every Haibane in Glie killed themselves in some way and that's why they're there. I feel like dying without having accomplished much is pretty common, and most people on their death beads probably feel some form of that. The loss of the will to live however is something many depressed people feel, and is something you may end your life over. I think that ending up as a Haibane requires a specific set of circumstances to be met.

I think that the Haibane died in a specific set of circumstances, where both their full potential on earth was never realized, and that they were the ones who ended everything early. Whatever higher being controls that universe decided to give them one more chance, it deemed them worthy of trying again before finally moving onward. More importantly this god gave them a brand new start with a social support network they could rely on, in a town full of nice people, all so that they could try again. He took away the feelings that led them to the choices they made, and starts them back at square one.

At the same time, their lives in Glie aren't perfectly blissful. They have to live on the outskirts, can't hold any kob they want, and everything they own is second hand. To me, this feels a bit like a punishment. If they simply died young, why would god handicap them in this way in their second chance at life? That's why I also like the idea that Glie is a sort of purgatory for the Haibane. It's a second chance, but not an easy one. And if the Haibane fail to prove themselves, they are forever trapped in Glie, unable to move on.

Don't
please.

Suicide isn't something that you can by split-decision change your mind on and then suddenly slip. At least, not if you've been contemplating it enough to be sent to the strange limbo-afterlife.

>Haibane appeals to little people
this is also the reason why this thread started out terribly, so you really cant blame them.

i just rewatched this yesterday, it cured my depression then gave it to me double once it was over

I'm with you on most of it, but I still don't think they were all suicides. I do think they probably died unhappily though. Rakka is very ambiguous whether she killed herself or just died in unfortunate circumstances. I interpreted it as her running away from home in the rain after arguing with her parents and feeling alone and then slipping and falling (maybe into a well?) and dying.

Glie is supposed to be safe and comforting but not comfortable. They have to have some motivation to keep moving forward and not get complacent. Hence the second hand goods and second class status. The townspeople do treat them well though despite that.

>It tells a complete story and adding anything else would just take away from its message and feeling of "realness"
I wouldn't mind an OVA or two, but only if they don't touch the main story. Have them set far in the past or future, don't mention any characters of the show. Really, if they focused on a Haibane in the abandoned factory that would be neat. We really don't have much info as to how they go about their lives.

Pretty much this. If you're depressed and you watch it, you start to feel nice until it's over and it REALLY hits you that not only will you never get to be a Haibane, people on this planet really can't be trusted as long as money exists, and no one can help you that can't help themselves.

It depends on what you take from it. You might realize that you have a "bird" too and reach out to them. The world looks comfortable but being a Haibane isn't the best place for a person. It's better if you learn from it and try to make things better now. Otherwise what can you get from it? And there are good people out there, but they are people too and have flaws of their own. That's what Rakka notices in the 2nd or 3rd episode, they all have issues and are holding each other up.

I will admit old home looks super comfy though.

You search this up for any other anime, you get tons of lewd and sexualized images, but for Haibane Renmei?

Nothing.

It's beautiful.

This was a great scene but I don't have too much else to say about it. I enjoyed it but the plot didn't go in the sort of heartwrenching Angel Beats-esque plot I was hoping it would.

It was more subtle though. Angel Beats was like the notebook, sad for sadness sake but it didn't have much depth to it.

I've got two IMCO lighters on my ebay watchlist, hopefully i can pick up one or the other. I'm taking some advice from the last thread, an authentic used one seems much more true to the spirit of the show than a new chinese copy. It's not easy to find them though.

It doesn't sell, sex sells, as said thousands of times. You don't have to keep making threads like this user, if you want a Haibane Renmei thread, just say so.

This, sex and violence are what sells, and this show barely has any of that. At least with Lain, you got to see her with her white shirt barely hanging on to her body and multiple nude shots. With Haibane, you just feel dirty imaginging them nude.

They're all over the Boorus.

NO THEY'RE NOT SHUT UP