What's the Utena of this century?

What's the Utena of this century?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=K5cC7kXqcEI
dailymotion.com/video/x5ui19g
youtube.com/watch?v=lo4HZGi1XiQ
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

So a story about confused girl who has sex with a guy, she doesn't like it and instead chooses to rebel about it and go away so other girl could find courage in following her to end with her sexually as director told us after the show ends?

Netsuzao Trap anime is Utena anime tier of 21st century.
Utena-Yuma
Anthy-Hotaru
Akio-Fujiwara
Takeda-the good prince guy persona

Nah, it's Madoka.

Penguindrum

>has sex with a guy, she doesn't like
Utena DID love Akio then though. Sure she was manipulated, but the feelings were real.

Utena was fucking shit. I watched the anime, movie and even read the manga and I still felt nothing. It's so damn overrated

Probably Flip Flappers.

No.

gay bears

you are a baby.

nothing yet.
Flip flappers and yuri kuma arashi maybe.
I'd say madoka just for the deconstruction, but the third movie....

There is only one right answer, Flip Flappers is for babbys

Princess Principal

Flip Flappers turned into garbage when the actual plot started

OK, is Flip Flappers TRULY anything like Utena at all?
I haven't watched it, but I wonder if you actually can compare it to Ikuhara's magnum opus.

Star Driver is the closest you can get.

it has a lot in common thematically with Utena. It's very different stylistically, and probably less focused.

>thematically
Oh really? The princess and prince, fairy tale narratives? Theater? Masculinity and femininity? Illusions vs reality?
These are all in Flip Flappers?

>not seeing the musical.

itt's got a lot of weird symbolism that's treated literally sometimes. also has yuri that's not just subtext and some deconstruction of class S themes in certain episodes.

Except there's no yuri in Utena (the TV series)?

...yes
I wouldn't compare them, but you're making a case here

it's not as overt and explict as the movie, but it's there. utena TV makes most of the sexuality represented through symbolism. like touga holding the carrot when he had a boner for utena. or the shots of the flowers dripping with water when anthy and utena were in the garden together.
there's also the whole thing with juri. just have to learn to pick up on more subtleties user

of everything suggested here I agree with this most. rebelling against societal norms theme and a interwoven fairy-tale theme.

Utena is trash, so probably the NTR show since it's also trash

I made a video about the color yellow in Utena and I'm shilling it.

youtube.com/watch?v=K5cC7kXqcEI

If you want to skip the plot synopsis, go to 3 minutes in. It's 37 minutes long because I had a lot to say.

I hate the way you say Utena, so I'm not watching this trash.

I mean, they're both shitty. So they're similar in that aspect.

I actually am curious how you pronounce it. Ew-ten-ah?

I don't pronounce it, because I'm not a retarded weeb. I just type it.

>blocked in my country

>This video contains content from KING RECORD CO., LTD., who has blocked it in your country on copyright grounds.
You might want to upload this on Dailymotion or some other place that doesn't give a shit.

dailymotion.com/video/x5ui19g

Dailymotion link.

thanks m8

literally the same way Anthy pronounces it

Watch the show in japanese and hear how the characters pronounce it m8

More like the love child of Alice and Wonderland and Eva

Someone explain the fucking Juliano play to me.

madoka isn't a deconstruction reeee

No prob. Let me know how much you hate it.

It just doesn't sound right to say it that way in English to me, but I will fully admit I am in the wrong. I was born and raised in Mississippi so I really want to hit that a sound in the middle.

This happens to be correct

The one with the big cat at the end?

The girl wants a cute name for her cat, but won't come up with one herself so she asks her friend to do it for her. By the time she actually gets a cute name for the cat, it has changed into a huge cat and the name no longer fits. Kind of like how Nanami is fixated on her childhood with Touga, even though their relationship has changed into something much more dangerous.

Makes sense.

Also the girl not naming the cat herself shows how Nanami is letting her brother and society dictate her instead of taking responsibility for her own life.

>that digression 11 minutes in
I can literally hear you smile when you are saying that

what's the name of the track that starts playing 22 minutes in?

You make me blush.

The song is Dona Dona from the episode where Nanami turns into a cow.

youtube.com/watch?v=lo4HZGi1XiQ

Probably Star Driver

Retard