What would have happened to the world of mecha anime had Gundam never been invented?

What would have happened to the world of mecha anime had Gundam never been invented?

There would be no Eva

Dougram would become the most influential mecha anime of all time.

it would be less g-y but also completely uninteresting

And if there had been no Eva, there would've been no moe anime.
Ergo, Tomino is indirectly responsible for the creation of the best anime genre.

real robot would have been invented sooner or later either way

Mecha would have focused more on androids and other humanoid machines like Astro Boy. And we would have been free of Tomino's bad writing.

>eva invented moe
I surely hope this is a joke.

>we would have been free of Tomino's bad writing.
The world isn't square!

This, and super robots would probably be even more of a thing as well.

Ghost in the Shell would have been considered the standard for mecha instead of giant robots.

Hopefully more non-humanoid mecha but i kinda doubt that

Nothing, gundam is shit

>Gundam invented real robot

Also, real robot and super robot don't mean anything. All mecha is fantasy nonsense.

You either die a Real Robot or live long enough to become a Super Robot.

That 3DPD art is hideous.

Gundam initially failed to take hold and was saved by the toy sales.
Someone will have done similar shit soon enough since it was the clear direction things were going but we probably wouldn;t end up with Gunplas or flying bases of operation.

Anime as a whole would be alot different, gundam brought alot of things to the industry that are employed by nearly every genre. It also was one of the first shows that showed investors that you can market anime to demographics that aren't children. Gundam is also hugely influential in Kickstarting the otaku demographic.

This isnt even going into how many prominent directors, animators, designers, voice actora, and artists whom were directly inspired by gundam, or got their start in big break on gundam. Hell you can even argue that the without the rise of gundam models merchandising in anime would be completely different, and japans overall economy would be different since model and toy sales from bandai make a notable portion of it

Eva would be about a depressed special kid who has math skills and is demanded by his father to take part in the japanese mathematics championship to solve puzzles, while in the end it was just a plan from an underground group inside the Japanese bureau of education to help create and trigger a computer program to unite the mind of all humans.

Something similar likely would have taken its place. The whole "if you change 1 minor thing the entire world changes!" shtick is dramatized fiction.

I would theorize that if Gundam hadn't been a huge success Bandai would have started making new toys that copied the ships in Star Wars. And tried to make an anime based on that. And given Star Wars was big in Japan, it probably would have taken off just like Gundam did.

The missing component is Tomino's writing. As much as I hate it, I do have to admit that his writing gave a unique feel to the series. Something that probably would have been missing in a show trying to copy Star Wars. So the hypothetical Star Wars clone might not have done as well.

You should ask /m/. As far as I've been able to tell, Sup Forums doesn't know jack shit about mecha.

Neither does /m/ tho.