The repair of the Oroville dam was a feat of modern engineering...

the repair of the Oroville dam was a feat of modern engineering, but as FEMA decides who is to blame for the billion dollar disaster I can only think of how the entire concept of water resources and sustainability is fundamentally misunderstood in America.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=xhKiq4DSLfY
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

So, that's what a billion dollars looks like.

what exactly is misunderstood and why?

nobody in the area knew why the dam needed money for repairs or understood why the dam was built in the first place.
99% of locals think it's all about the lake and people don't care how the dam provides irrigation water and flood control for farms down river (who's farms had river banks collapse during the disaster because of water mismanagement). and people are also unaware of the operation of a power plant inside the dam and how works in the California aqueduct.
basically Californians knew so little about their own dam that it's no surprise they let it fall into disrepair

how is that different from any other technology or infrastructure?

the spillway broke just last year. but the Keystone pipeline leaked in South Dakota last year and nobody cares about that so maybe the Oroville dam isn't important either

Youre FOS, I live there.

Everyone knows the water is moved south and it is a huge contention between norcal and socal. Also DWR knew years ago the dam did not meet standards and pushed it under the rug. DWR is fucking incompetent

holy shit that's what it looks like now?

top kek

>what exactly is misunderstood and why?
Someone said there will never be water again, and so no repairs were made on the dam...basically.

youtube.com/watch?v=xhKiq4DSLfY

the one that got away

I used to stay up half the night with Crazy Ivan, Math Bong, and Spicy Mario trying to analyze exactly wtf was going on and what might happen.

Always nice to see how things panned out after all. Neat to see how they finally dealt with the retrograde water movement.

>pipeline leaked in South Dakota last year and nobody cares
It "leaked" an amount of oil sand equal to 1/3rd an olympic swimming pool. It was a controlled release between valves to repair a section of pipe.

If it had really leaked, it would have catastrophically exploded. The pressure these lines run at is absurd.

No one gave a shit because it was not covered correctly on the news. When gallons of fuel was put into perspective, it became a non-issue.

t: pipefitter.

>>the repair of the Oroville dam was a feat of modern engineering
>using helicopter to bring in single bags of sand to fill random ditches
nice try didf

Oh man I miss those memes.

>nobody in the area knew why the dam needed money for repairs or understood why the dam was built in the first place.
I can tell you've never set foot in the west US.
It's for drinking water you stupid fuck. You are spewing pure horseshit.

I wish I saved more :(

>tfw never organize meme folders that got too big to fit on single truecrypt volumes so you never even bother trying to find all the good stuff to repoast

The best part was when they were like
>welp no need to test this spillway
SHIT TURN ON THE SPILLWAY
>spillway btfo
FUCK USE THE EMERGENCY ONE
>hillside btfo
GOD DAMN TURN THE SPILLWAY BACK ON
>spillway & hillside btfo
SHIT SHIT SHIT SHIT TURN IT OFF AND PRAY FOR NO RAIN