Every shonen series ever concieved seems to have a tournament arc

Every shonen series ever concieved seems to have a tournament arc.

Why is that?

To stretch out content while boring everyone to tears.
With few exceptions.

One Piece doesn't have one.

I guess it's the easiest way to introduce and develop several characters quickly: two at a time.

Because when I played football we went to multiple football tournaments.

If you practice any kind of sports chances are that you will go to a tournament soon or later.

bleach had none

Sup Forums here, tournament arcs are literally awesome as fuck.

Writing reasons for characters to fight is hard. Writing "they fight because that's what you do at the fight tournament" is easy.

Because they're the essence of powerlevel faggotry, which is what the author is really writing for and what the fans really desire.
So sooner or later all of them will say "fuck giving plot reasons for fights, I'll just make them compete in this tournament".

>what is Gladiator arc

Dressrosa

FMA doesn't have a tournament arc

>Dark Tournament and Dragon Ball Budokais
>boring

Mostly a good way to display the characters and a good excuse for one-on-one fights

he said exceptions

>Hmmm, I need to write a believable reason for these two characters to fight each other.
>You could just do a tournament arc.
>Oh, fuck yes

i like tournament arcs. they're my favorite cliche arc.

that is all.

Because it is about the fights and a tournament can showcase those fights easily

plot convenient way to set up a lot of fights

>Spee D. Readers even manifest outside of One Piece Generals

Fucking Dressrosa you idiot

I came here to omae wa mou shindeiru.

I wish that Dressrosa had a proper tournament arc. That would have actually made that arc entertaining.

I think in Naruto and BnHA it was nicely connected with the plot

Yu Yu Hakusho overused it a bit but I love YYH

Allows authors to pit characters that are on the same side or that wouldn't otherwise fight one another.

That's a seinen you dumbass.

OP said tournament ARC.

>serialized in Shounen Jump
>literally made Shounen Jump the powerhouse it is today
>seinen
PFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF

Dragon Ball wasn't originally going to have a tournament arc at all, instead it was going to be loosely defined shenigans about Dragon Balls and wishes to make. At some point someone yelled at Toriyama to make it more about the fighting so they added the arc in to define Goku's need to fight and made Krillin as his foil.

So probably as a time crunch that forces the character to be useful in combat in a short amount of time and an easy way to introduce characters as contestants. The strength of a tournament arc comes from outside of the actual tournament and what sort of cheating or side goals one can accomplish between fights

Rule of cool faggot.

it helps that those two are character-focused series.

>seems to have a tournament arc.
>ARC
No, user, you are the speedreader.

>hurr you have to fight in this tournament it's part of your academy training for no reason

No it wasn't

your arbitrary classifications aren't as valid as MY arbitrary classifications!

Davy back fight

don't think Kenshin had a tournament arc

though the Shishio arc might count

i thought naruto was about waving your hands and doing progressively more ridiculous and convoluted magic spells?

Not him but Yusuke fought in the Dark Tournament because if he didn't Toguro would kill his friends and family, and at that point they stood no chance of beating Toguro.

That's not a tournament, it's just that every one of the villains worked as a counterpoint for one of the heroes.

I like tournament arcs also.

That's mostly post-time skip Naruto (avoid like plague)

Chunin exam arc (its tournament arc) had a bit of ninja magic but a lot more skill to it.

I think you misunderstood what he was saying. He's saying it makes no sense in BNHA to have a tournament arc because what kind of school would say "alright now kick the shit out of your classmates, it'll help you become a better hero"

Because in a series that is ultimately about who the strongest fighter is a tournament is a perfect device to answer that question.

The best tournaments are the ones that happen for a reason instead of just throwing some filler for a year, though.

Wow it's almost like ritual challenge is associated with growth and becoming a man.

Oh I see. Well either way, despite having 3 tournaments in a show with only 109 episodes, YYH never had a tournament for the purpose of training or any of that.

>Genkai tournament he entered so he could find and kill Rando
>DT he was coerced into
>Demon Tournament was for succession of rule because of a power imbalance.

to answer stupid fan questions

Martial arts culture.

did Jojo have an arc?
there's SBR but that's when it became seinen

>what is Davy Jones tournament

but it does make sense, since they can't really just fight eachother unregulated because of potential injuries, but there it's a good way to learn about their powers not by just observing but trying to stand up against it, maybe lost and think about what you can do next time, or if a villian has a similar power
if not that, it's experience, not100% legit of course because a villain won't hold back not to kill you
it also wasn't a really long dragged out tournament like in other shounens, it was just one part in that whole competition

I dropped Bleach at the Aizen arc and never looked back

did that have an arc?

Tournament Arcs actually do 3 things at once. They settle the question of who is stronger at that point in the series, it allows the author to introduce quickly a bunch of new characters who use unique fighting styles, and it's an excuse for old characters to show off new moves they've learned.

Fake Karakura Town arc, my dude. Almost everyone had a fight and the victors all moved on to stronger opponents.

you forgot "to give a one on one battle with little to no outside or environmental interference"

the "no items, all Fox, FINAL DESTINATION" of arcs.

mmm phatnom blood battle agains wamu

what of Attack on Titan?

>OP uses obvious hyperbole to make a point about the popularity of tournament arcs among shounen writers
>Multiple posts in thread are just "UHHH NOT THIS ANIME, IDIOT"
I swear you guys are all the real kind of autistic.

It seems like a fairly natural progression for a genre about people fighting each other.

Death Note you nigger

Most popular shounen post-DB have them though

>Dragon Ball and YYH
at least three
>HxH
Hunter exam and Heaven's arena
>One Piece
Dressrosa
>Magi
Riems
>Medaka box
Flask Plan, Minus, and Black Wedding arc
>Shaman King and Gash Bell
the whole series is one big tournament arc
>Naruto
Chunin exam
>BNHA
Sports festival
>Sports series
just sports series

It's a manga with battles
it's a shounen
it's a battle shounen

objectively so

Shonen audiences tend to like fighting, a tournament is literally a contest with a shit ton of fighting, come on man.

You two need to go back

Literally nothing wrong about tournament arcs. Most of the time they are the best arcs in the series.

uhhh Fairy tail???

Is steel ball run the tournament arc of jojo?

It's an easy plot device to advance character arcs all at once.

I actually like them when they're done right, because I like watching specific character arcs more than some broad arc, and when a tournament arc is done right it's exactly what I want several times over. Hero Academia was a great example of a tournament arc done right. Todoroki, Midoriya, Uraraka, and many others all had wonderful advancements in their character arcs.

>>One Piece
>Dressrosa
That one really doesn't count as a proper tournament arc. It's more of a distraction and a chance to reintroduce Sabo than a proper arc.

Can you explain in non-buzzword terms and without using the word "reddit" why liking tournament arcs isn't welcome here in your opinion?

Toriyama said that he decided to do a fighting tournament because the Penguin Grands Prix were the most popular parts of Dr. Slump.

Tournaments can world-build, develop and introduce new characters, and all characters to display their abilities all in a cohesive story arc

Didn't FT have a post timeskip arc?

You forgot the shittiest arc in the series, the Grand Magic Games

The tournament in YYH was the very best arc.

Because its more entertaining to watch the hero test his skills against even stronger opponents without there having to be life threatening stakes.

It's a good way to establish power levels.

My bad, I meant the Ankoku Bujutsu Kai Tournament...
The one with Toguro. Where Hiei reaches his best.

Shounen authors aren't that much smart to not go with the 90 years old cliche's of the genre

I bet you would put a tournament arc on a stream, you fucking faggot.

Since we are talking about shonen

How is Yu Yu Hakusho? and does it have a tournament arc?

Tournament arcs are good because they give side characters a place to display their talent and actually win fights.

We all know in most shonen the side cast is just punching bags so the MC can beat the big bad.

This.
And non-magic/semi-realistic martial arts themed stories naturally progress towards a tournament.
If they didn't, then you would have a martial arts themed slice of life anime. (read: animeme power rangers without zords, zordon, or transformations)

Post apocalyptic 20XX martial arts theme violated the semi-realistic rule and Ki/chakra violates the magic rule.
Dealing with threats greater than thugs/degenerates necessitates magic power or 'surpassing the limits of humanity'.

The only story that I think you could make martial arts themed and (conceivably) avoid a tournament would be an anime about a rebel peasant faction in an alternate history waring states era time line. Even that is no guarantee because it would be incredibly easy to have the rebels be captured and forced into a tournament to fight for their lives.

I don't know what anime you have been watching, but sports days are pretty common in anime as they apart of Japanese school culture. Sports are usually integral to it, it makes sense for a ultra competitive school in a world filled with super powers to make a olympics style showing with theirs.

H×H frontloading the tournament arcs was a bad idea

It has three
They're great

Bleach didn't have a tournament arc right?

Fullmetal Alchemist does't have a tournament arc either.

It's the heavy influence of martial arts on boys manga in action. Although, more specifically, martial arts as a sport.

That being said though, not every shonen manga is about a bunch of folks fighting to be the strongest or whatever. Like, I'm pretty certain that you won't find a tournament arc in City Hunter for example.

>Why is that ?

Ring ni Kakero and Kinnikuman did them and sold well so everyone started doing them.

Yu Yu Hakusho is among the best shonen because it actually has something resembling character development, and up until the end doesn't manifest such absurd power level faggotry that everyone is relegated to jobber-tier in comparison.

My only issue really is the ending being somewhat unsatisfying to me because I would have liked to see a BIT of the aftermath.

I didn't think it was so bad. For the hunter exam, they reversed the regular tournament bracket and had the main character be knocked out in the first fight. Heaven's Arena was more of a rank-based system rather than a bracket. Sorta like the Glitz Pit in Paper Mario.

Although if we're talking about tournament arcs, Black Clover is absolutely killing itself right now because holy fuck has it gotten boring

He also went to the Genkai tourney so he could be trained by Genkai. Rando made it a 2 for 1 deal.

Does Death note count?

One Piece is also the worst shonen series ever conceived. Coincidence?

>I would have liked to see a BIT of the aftermath.

I recall there being a short where Kuwabara was confirmed to have landed Hiei's sister and he and the gang forming together one more time to face up against another Tournament.

Not Bleach. That's how you can tell it was the most patrician battle shounen.

>Baaaaaaw Tournament Arcs
>No one explains why they are so supposedly bad
So are you guys just contrarians who parrot what everyone else say and are unable to form their own opinions?

I'm honestly surprised powerlevel fags never really latched onto Kinnikuman. But then again, the scans for some parts of the series are such garbage that it's almost unreadable.

Did Saint Seiya introduce their tournament first or did Dragon Ball? Dragon Ball probably inspired all the tournament arcs in the battle shounens succeeding it but I'm not sure if it was the first one to do it

>tournament is interrupted

Is there a worse trope? What's the point in hyping up a tournament just to have it ruined?

FUCK THE BUU SAGA

No real stakes. No real story.

Because that tournamente in Saint Seiya was filler.

When the stakes are high the good guys will win 99% of the time. Tournaments are more unpredictable and therefore more exciting.

Shounen doesn't necessarily mean battle shounen.
Romance manga get published in shounen magazines too for instance and there are obviously no tournaments in that.

>I don't know what shonen means: the post