why do dubs exist

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=-DJ1mQv4pT0
fictionpress.com/s/3206139/1/Keit-AI-Tomoyuki-x-Seiko-Keit愛-奉文-x-聖子
webtoons.com/en/challenge/keit-ai/list?title_no=36825
youtube.com/watch?v=vaM2_dPArBM
youtube.com/watch?v=XwSZm7qACz4
twitter.com/AnonBabble

to make cartoons meant for children more accessible to a child audience.

I agreed.

Most of us were introduced to anime early on because there were dubs.

Kino Dubs > Flick Raws > Meme Subs

Do you have one where she does it faster?

Dubfag here, im sure you're right but can i get a couple good examples of subs that are blalantly better that dubs? I watched some with dubs then rewatched with subs and feel like dubs we're misleading or confusing some times.

Because faggots like Arkada exist.

check em dubs

it's not even about the confusing translations in dubs, it's about the quality of voice actors. Voice acting is a huge thing in Japan, and the actors that do dubs are just not anywhere near the talent level as they are in japan. All the good american voice actors do american cartoons and animated movies.

Can't spell dubs without buds.

thanks for replying, i know some anime are better dub like black lagoon, but is there a list for shows i should watch dubbed over subbed or the other way around?

OKOTTEMASU
What a shitty thread.

ghost stories, master of the martial heart, panty and stocking

can't think of anything else off the top of my head

baccano, fate/zero, code geass, ghost stories, death note

Anything by 4kids

>death note

really

>f/z
>death note

>black lagoon

Never got this one. Revy sounds like an old hag in English compared to the cool yakuza vibe she has in nip.

I can't take any fate dub seriously after gay bulges.

>mfw I watch anime seasonally but whenever I go back and watch older shows I check out their dubs first. I stick with the dubs if they're decent because I have nothing to prove to anyone

Check mine.

kys retard

re-rollan

G-Gundam. Mark Gatha and Dave Pettitt carry the show better than the Japanese VAs do

Triumph of the Will should be watched with original audio. Anything else would be most degenerate.

>mfw I still have nothing to prove

Can someone explain to me why dubs are bad beyond "just because they are"? I mean it's alright to have that opinion but stating it as fact without explaining anything is just butthurt. Is it the pitch? Pronunciation? Diction? Emotion? Rhythm? What?

What actually makes all dubs so bad compared to subs?

What if the dub has better VA's than the original?

DBZ is the only thing better dubbed.

I disagree. But I agree for Super.

>Fate zero
>code geis

Because the characters often sound much older than they should, and the vast majority of the time things are better enjoyed as close to the original as possible. It's why if you know German or something you wouldn't read an English translation of a German book, you'd just read the original.

Idk why but you should check these dubs

I'll take a potato chip...

I'm not an English native speaker so I have no greater attachment to English than to Japanese, but to me it seems like there are these essential issues:

1. Dialogues are often subpar. This is a very often often overlooked issue. Subtitled dialogue does not need to sound "natural" which means that subtitling foreign works is much easier than writing a script that has to be acted. Very often the dialogues are bad and don't sound natural which means that even a good voice actor cannot read them without sounding silly.

2. In Japan, becoming a voice actor is more prestigious, often coming with idol/singer careers which means that more people will try to become voice actors and a greater chance for talent to emerge. Japanese voice actors are generally better. There are exceptions of course, but in my experience the most talented western voice actors usually stick to video games and western cartoons.

3. This may be a cultural issue but based on what I've heard English voice actresses in particular have a hard time sounding cute. Or maybe it's an issue of girls that sound cute not being cast for the roles that would demand it. They often sound too old and seem to have a hard time acting cute rules often sounding as if they themselves are embarrassed of what they're saying (but not in a cute way).

A boy falls in love with a girl.
Unable to confess, he is gifted by a deus ex machina with the girl's phone number. Never minding the strange area code, he immediately calls her, and is overjoyed to find out that she has a crush on him as well.
But, the next day, when he recounts the previous day's confessions to the girl, she only looks at him with a perplexed expression. After some investigation, he finds out that the girl he called is not the same girl he fell in love with. In fact, she doesn't exist in this universe at all. She is the girl's alternate universe counterpart, who has fallen in love with the MC's own AU self, who too is blissfully unaware of her crush.
Hijinks ensue as the two strike up a deal to give each other their darkest, most private secrets in order to equip the other with the weapons they need to conquer the heart of their other selves. While the two chase their respective loved ones, DRAMA ensues as they begin to fall in love with each other instead and question the NATURE of LOVE.

The range of emotion and personality that anime has is harder to pull off believably in English than in Japanese, and any dub VAs with that ability move on to movies and vidya

>NGE dub
All your arguments are invalid. For all time.

Bbbbut cowboy bebob

It allows small children to develop an interest in anime, which is good.

I can't take this argument seriously when you have people like Tomokazu Sugita and Yuu Kobayashi who make no attempt to sound younger than 30 when they voice teenagers yet no one cares.

>two VAs
>as opposed to literally all of the female ones

If you watch Yu Yu Hakusho subbed you're a faggot, period

Kill all subfags

it sucks lol
it sucks lol

Death Note and CG are worse but F/Z was better
Matthew Mercer is great

Anime with no blatant reference to Japanese culture or the country seem better with dub. That's why subfags always cite the old anime like cowboy bebop, and some ova era anime as examples of good dubbing.

Those two are memes. It's usually intentional in that case.

The people behind the original production of the series/movie/whatever have little to no input so far as foreign dubs are concerned. I'll take the director's intended experience over some periphery alternate vocal track any day of the week.

Butt yuyu haksho

What are dubs?

Bryn Apprill, Megan Shipman, Felicia Angele, Sarah Wiedenheft, Monica Rial, and Tia Ballard are all great at voicing young girls, and that's just the Texas talent pool. But please continue to talk shit about people you have no idea about.

It's mostly just nostalgia. The OPs/EDs were great, Sabat's Kuwabara was great, but Yusuke's not very good and the anime suffers the old dub problem of having awkwardly fast/long lines to match the voice flaps

>Bebop

It's fine, but you're still voluntarily passing up an opportunity to listen to a master in Yamadera.

That sounds like a really shitty excuse to justify miscasting.

these

Dubfags have low standards. Watch any Disney/Cartoon Network shows/movies and you'll hear a gulf of difference between anime dubbing and original western work.

Very true. Almost all the best dubs I can think of are heavily western influenced or take place mostly outside of Japan.
>Bebop
>Outlaw Star
>Hellsing
>Gankutsuo
>(debateably) YYH
>Monster and Master Keaton
>Baccano! (DRRR's dub is mediocre by comparison, especially the second season)
>FMA
>eureka 7
The list really goes on.

Let me show you.

Both of them are perfectly capable of properly voicing younger characters. It's not miscasting if the purpose of their role is a joke.

Sugita has never sounded younger than 30 in any of his roles.

>Outlaw Star
>good dub

I'm a dubfag and Outlaw Star's dub is painfully mediocre after hearing it for the first time only a few years ago. This sounds like just another "the only good dubs are the ones I heard as a teenager and everything since then is shit" post.

Post the worst dubs you know of.
youtube.com/watch?v=-DJ1mQv4pT0

FINDS

Already a thing.

fictionpress.com/s/3206139/1/Keit-AI-Tomoyuki-x-Seiko-Keit愛-奉文-x-聖子
webtoons.com/en/challenge/keit-ai/list?title_no=36825

Why do gifs exist?

A Sub Purist falls in love with a Gag Dub.

Unable to confess, he is gifted with by a deus ex machina with the Dub studio's phone number. Never minding the strange area code, he immediately calls them, and is overjoyed to find out that they are fans of his dub v sub shitposting as well.

But, the next day, when he recounts the previous day's confessions to the studio, they only looks at him with perplexed expressions. After some investigation, he finds out that the studio he called is not the same gag dub studio he fell in love with. In fact, they don't exist in this universe at all. They are the studio's alternate universe Straight Dub counterpart, who have fallen in love with the MC's own AU self, who too is blissfully unaware of their crush.

Hijinks ensue as the two strike up a deal to give each other their darkest, most private secrets in order to equip the other with the weapons they need to conquer the heart of their other selves. While the two chase their respective loved ones, DRAMA ensues as they begin to fall in love with each other instead and question the NATURE of VOICE ACTING.

I love dubs.
In fact, check these ones.

Chobits and Shuffle.

>sitting on couch with kodi stick
>fuck around and click "Animation" on Elysium
>find some mainstream anime like SnK
>only has a dub (that's good quality)
>watch it and like it
Am I dubfag now?

A man falls in love with repeating digits.
Unable to confess, he is gifted by a deus ex machina with an ability to never get banned. Never minding the strange URL, he immediately posts, and is overjoyed to find out that he he got quints 5 posts in a row.
But, the next day, when he recounts the previous day's dubs, he has been permabanned. After some investigation, he finds out that the imageboard he spammed is not the same imageboard he fell in love with. In fact, it doesn't exist in this universe at all. It is Sup Forums's alternate universe counterpart, which has fallen in love with the MC's own AU self, who is the website's admin.
Hijinks ensue as the two strike up a deal to give each other their darkest, most private secrets in order to equip the other with the weapons they need to conquer the heart of their other selves. While the two chase their respective loved ones, DRAMA ensues as they begin to fall in love with each other instead and question the NATURE of DUBS.

You are a normalfag, but it comes with a dubfag bonus.

Why dubs should die forever:

youtube.com/watch?v=vaM2_dPArBM

>16 year old

Post more Miyano.

Wow, so just like that I got turned into a normalfag, nevermind the decade of subbed anime watching.
Shit, do I get a girlfriend now?

>promo
>not the same VA as the actual dub
>Sentai

You should die forever

Very few exist, and those few are amazing. The voice acting actually cares to match the tone, they don't sound like they're just reading off a script with their expected emotions in bold or italics ("angry - :You bastard!:), and best of all; they don't ad lib to the point of butchering a scene. A good example of the last one is Maid Dragon's english dub, what with Quetzal saying some really dumb Jersey Shore shit in english when she said something that was sensible and airheaded in japanese. What made those few dubs good was that the folks who did them actually cared to make a product that would sell well, and it worked (mostly, anyway). That should be the absolute bare minimum requirement when dubbing; actually giving a fuck about doing it.

a world whitout dubs would not give us this man

why do you exist

>i know some anime are better dub like black lagoon
nope

>not the same VA

About that...

youtube.com/watch?v=XwSZm7qACz4

ITT: This is bait for the pro-dub casual anime fan that comes out to Sup Forums every Sunday because Dragon Ball Super (Crappy) is on.

No, they do that because they grew up with dubbed versions of those shows.

All the girls you named can't sound like a young girl for shit.

all garbage lmao

only monica rial is any good and she only has one voice and it only works for lolis and stocking

Speaking of shit dubs, is their some drama going on at Funi? I saw that they replaced 2 VAs for MHA with one of them being a Funi staple like Sonny Strait.

>can i get a couple good examples of subs that are blalantly better that dubs?
All.

>i know some anime are better dub like black lagoon
Wrong.
>but is there a list for shows i should watch dubbed over subbed
None.

>panty and stocking
Wrong.

>baccano, fate/zero, code geass, death note
All wrong.

>G-Gundam
Wrong.

>What actually makes all dubs so bad compared to subs?
Everything and everyone involved in the production.

None.

>DBZ is the only thing better dubbed.
Wrong.

Wrong.

Shit dub.

Shit.

Wrong.

Kill yourself.

Wrong.

It's shit.

All shit, especially E7.

Kill yourself.

Shit.

Speaking of dubs

Juliet Simmons is not the same person as Monica Rial.

Yu Yu Hakusho, Cromartie High School, Princess Tutu, and the Big O are the only four that should be watched dubbed.

No YOU kill yourself.

You hadn't even heard of most of the before that past. No one is fooled.

Fuck you.

>dub voice actress
A cosplay-slut who sucked enough dick to be in anime
>jp voice actress
Usually amateur idols or students looking to get some extra popularity or cash
Pick one

>Monica Rial
>only one voice

Ask me how I know you haven't heard more than two of her roles. Compare Stocking to Michiko then come back and say that again.