How do we improve the isekai genre?

How do we improve the isekai genre?

Other urls found in this thread:

pastebin.com/DZtJnGaK
novelupdates.com/series/i-reincarnated-into-a-vending-machine/
google.com/url?q=https://www.google.com/url?q=https://lemonwater123.wordpress.com/2017/05/09/give-blessings-to-the-beautiful-maid/&sa=D&ust=1501436208786000&usg=AFQjCNFTjtTGWm8_6jz03C_GbzunnZeF2Q&sa=D&ust=1501436208873000&usg=AFQjCNFiA26y-SxNmzNeDCVrHVVwT-zTjQ
myredditvideos.com/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

You answered it right there, make aqua the main love interest instead of Emilia in Rezero and make Emilia the goddess instead of Aqua in Konosuba.

well aqua does cuter without her stupid meme hair

She also looks cuter when her medium sized tits are not sagging to the floor.

konosuba already did it

Don't bully Aqua's aquas please

1- You can't

JUST KILL ALL WAIFUS AND HUSBANDOS

just get more creative with the isekai concept

What if the MC gets reincarnated in another world as an animal like a hawk or mule and has to serve as the intelligent but tragically misunderstood character of the party
What if there were actually more than two interconnected worlds
What if getting summoned to another world doesn't mean you'll become the eiyuu, but a simple cook or conman instead
What if the isekai isn't always Dragon Quest-world but something alien or sci-fi instead, like in the game Another World (literally isekai)
What if we had horror isekai

It's hard to think outside the box, isn't it?

Isekai thread?

As promised. Chapter 5.

Fuck forgot paste.
pastebin.com/DZtJnGaK

isekai isn't a genre, it's just a plot device so commonly overused that retards think it is

novelupdates.com/series/i-reincarnated-into-a-vending-machine/

Pretty sure all of those exist and Isekai Shokudou is even airing right now

Wait til shieldbro anime airs, it's gonna save the genre

Oh wow, that looks retarded and fun at the same time.

>There are now two people who sound like Megumin in their party

>muh suffering
trash

Go watch smartphone then.

even that shit is more enjoyable than shieldshit

Did someone try to translate the ReZero and Konosuba special novel?

google.com/url?q=https://www.google.com/url?q=https://lemonwater123.wordpress.com/2017/05/09/give-blessings-to-the-beautiful-maid/&sa=D&ust=1501436208786000&usg=AFQjCNFTjtTGWm8_6jz03C_GbzunnZeF2Q&sa=D&ust=1501436208873000&usg=AFQjCNFiA26y-SxNmzNeDCVrHVVwT-zTjQ

It's trash and I didn't bother reading it

This trash

Keep your shitty bland characters out of my konosuba.

Thrash translation or the novel itself?

Novel itself, it's written by the konosuba author if I remember correctly

It reads like a bad crossover fanfic.

you can't
Isekai is just a sub genre of fantasy that's way bigger than it should be.
it's not that the shows or concepts are bad, it's just that there are way too many of them.

Ok thanks, if you say so I won't probably read it immediately

Well, it's not too long and I'm not sure how in-character the Konosuba characters are. Just, I sometimes read nip fanfics, and it's at that level.

And only one chapter is translated and it's the one with Rem in it, the Rem IF LN has 4 chapters translated so far and it's pretty good so you are better off reading that instead.

It doesn't need to be improved. It is tons of fun as is, and more WNs/LNs are on their way to being adapted.

Why not just make a straight fantasy anime instead of doing isekai?

Give Mushoku Tensei an anime adaption

It really depends on what you're trying to do. With an isekai, you're typically trying to work from an outsider's perspective and have the reader learn about the world alongside the protagonist.

More isekai'd into different creatures and battles.

>reincarnated to a vending machine
fucking genius

Okamoto already came with improving. In form of new sub-sub genre called "ISEXY".

Konosuba characters are literally archetypes and can't possibly get more bland. Just like Re:Zero in fact.

They're parodies of archetypes.
That's a key distinction to make.

Re:zero is bland because they're actually trying to be serious. Konosuba is actively saying "look at all of these retarded characters" constantly.

Isekai gives an excuse for world building. The protagonist is as much an outsider to this world as you are, so it helps to allow for world building and exposition that would feel forced if it were stuff the characters should already know.
You know the stuff I'm talking about. The MC will say, "The hundred year war?" and the tsundere noble will say, "You didn't know? The war that such-and-such waged a hundred years ago to yadda yadda yadda".
That comes off as a lot more contrived if our MC is actually from this world.
Which isn't to say that it doesn't feel forced in isekai when they do it. But it allows for more "surprises" and revelations from the protagonist's perspective, and, in theory, allows for the audience to better relate to the hero.
I prefer straight fantasy, myself.

put actual writers on them and not fanfic-tier webnovelists

also ignore the "deconstruction" fixes (Re:zero proved that deconstructed shit is still shit).

likewise the other world expertise could work as a strength for the MC.

though no Isekai was able to do it would making said expertise OP.

There is also an isekai butler - for the maou.

>What if the MC gets reincarnated in another world as an animal like a hawk or mule and has to serve as the intelligent but tragically misunderstood character of the party
so far there's a spider, dragon, cicada, Goblin, Slime, spirit that takes over pets, sword and vending machine
They don't work because they are all OP

>What if getting summoned to another world doesn't mean you'll become the eiyuu, but a simple cook or conman instead
Lot of novels has "reincarnated into an NPC" premise

The others I want to see more of.

That anime would be shit

-balance the damn powers don't make the MC OP that can smash anything
-no harem
-no adventure guilds either
-give the MC an actual goal
-you can have RPG elements but don't give him all the levels, items, and skills make him work for that shit from level 1
-flesh out the damn side characters, don't just make them a cheerleader squad give them goals, personalities, strengths and weaknesses that can conflict with the MC
-make a good and memorable villain
-make the setting more than just Dragon Quest

Yes exactly, doesn't change the fact how the characters are bland archetypes. Also doesn't help how the comedy is literally an underage magnet.

just make the MC an asshat. It always works.

>Also doesn't help how the comedy is literally an underage magnet
What a sad life you must live if you think comedy has an age limit.

didn't work with Re:monster

Manga update when?

because he was a boring mary sue.
I want more jerk mcs, because they are fun. Even if its a female.

I say fuck asshat MCs and just make them female MCs.

We don't. Let that meme genre end.

we need better isekai series like isekai smartphone, log horizon, and endride

Are you seriously saying that?

what do you mean user?

The biggest issue with Isekai is that they will have a unique and interesting hook and start, then devolve into the same bullshit without fail. I've lost track of the number is Isekai that actually start pretty great for a few dozen chapters before devolving into the same tired, clichéd bullshit of all the others. Other fixes off the top of my head:

>if he's a loner antisocial asshole, don't make him suddenly gain a bunch of friends and/or a harem
>don't have him gain a harem/love interests for no reason unless he's canonically Chad
>if he's OP as fuck, make it interesting or funny to see him curbs top enemies to make up for the complete lack of tension
>find a middle ground between a pacifist coward faggot and a psychopathic serial killer
>if MC is going to ignore all sexual advances from women, have a good reason beyond him being a low functioning autist
>have a clear goal for the story from the outset rather than making it up as they go along, leading to a meandering and boring nothingness
>have some better writing. So many have the writing of a middle schooler who barely passes their classes

I could go on and on. Out of all the Isekai I've tried, there's really only four that aren't shit or don't turn to shit, and one of them is Korean.

Which ones?
>one of them is korean
DD?

Main Character Hides His Strength. He stays consistently a cunt and asocial aside from one companion he keeps around because she's useful and he can't get rid of her. He's OP as fuck but has shortcomings that he's trying to get around by powerleveling.

Sooo, Sword Art Online?

I think jerk MCs have to walk a fine line. My experience with a lot of chinese web novels have taught me that there actually is such a thing as too big an asshole of an MC. That Tales of God and Demons being a good example. It's easy to go from an amusing amount of jackassery to an obnoxious and unlikable ammount, and it's even worse if I'm starting to actively hate the MC even as the story tries to make me root for him.

>if he's a loner antisocial asshole, don't make him suddenly gain a bunch of friends and/or a harem
Or do the Arifuta thing where he's supposedly a loner but has a hot girl constantly worrying about him. That's not a fucking loner.

Not in the slightest. At least read the synopsis before sounding like a dipshit.

What you wrote right there sounds identical to Sword Art Online. I can't blame that user for assuming. Actually to be fair it sounds like literally every isekai with power levels and a non-happy MC ever.

the perfect example of a good asshole MC is Kazuma, and probably Momoka from sabagebu but thats not isekai.

I gave a bad description then. It's dark fantasy and not in a game, and has Children of Man elements since all kids died from a world ending curse.

>Enemy of the world, cursed by all, Kim Sungchul goes on a quest to prevent the ‘prophecy of the end’ from coming to pass.
>But no matter how much he raised his strength, there were still some things he could not achieve with physical strength alone.
>Resolving to obtain the power of magic, he goes into hiding to learn magic from his most hated of enemies, The Mages.

We make it have none loser mcs, like in code geass

At least don't paraphrase the synopsis to sound exactly like SAO, dumbass.

It sounds kind of edgy. What are it's edge levels like? Are we talking magical spell to the face from a childhood bully that causes him to lose faith in humanity levels of edge here, for instance?

How the fuck is a vending machine OP?

That half asset description describes a lot more than SAO.

It's dark fantasy, so I would call it grimdark rather than edgy. I mean, it's about this world facing multiple extinction events so obviously it's going to be dark. Most of the humor tends to be dark humor and the beginning part is really fucking violent so that might turn you off if you're squeamish. The MC's background hasn't been fully revealed yet, but it's been implied his kid died and he has devoted his life to trying to stop the extinction of all life so that kids can live again, by any means necessary.

Who hype for shieldbro anime?

No matter how good the adaptation is, the source material is garbage so I'm not that excited. I'll probably watch anyways though.

ok.
I'm nt sure what to expect actually. The PV looks great and everything, but considering LN adaptations the pacing can either make or break the anime. That said, it'll probably pay for itself in LN and manga sales regardless.

How about a fucking reverse isekai for once ????????????????

re:creators, maou-sama, etc.

Make it capeshit

So like GATE when all of the girls are taken to Japan, or The Devil is a Part-Timer?

Is maou-sama really isekai? They didn't really go willingly but it's kind of not the same. On Re:C I can agree

But they go there willingly and can return whenever

But the Devil can't return whenever? The heroes overtook the central island with all of the demons, and he just went to some random universe when he used the portal to GTFO so he didn't exactly go there willingly.

the demon lord reincarnates in modern-era japan and works at mcdonalds man. if that isn't reverse-isekai i don't know what is.

Third season of Kunosuba and second season of Re:Zero, please. Milk what you can before moving on to the next thing.

You can't.

Meh, when the fuck is the spider and slime anime coming out already.

Instead of sending people into videogame like worlds, make actually interesting world with interesting plot and have a genuine fantasy story. Also, either make a Dragon quest anime or come up with a new world with its magic systems, politics, history and fauna.

>Magic systems, politics, history and fauna
Bookworm

Whatever you day satan.

Noy sure, they're sure popular, slime even more so but they're probably waiting for later.

kidnap more translators and force them to update the novels more often.

Well thank you. Many of these series flirt with the western fantasy anyway so why not go the whole lenght and explore what makes those types of stories interesting. The idea of parallel/diffrent world isn't really used for much storywise, usually it's just game world and story is about escapism but if it is not used for much else, like how does this parallel world effect our world or viceversa then it would be better to just scrapt the idea of leaping between worlds. It is many times more of a distraction why there is suddenly new world and how to get back. It would also be nice if the medieval fantasy world was not just a backdrop but also felt like a living place. Studying high fantasy novels would help to make more stronger series than just adapting these videogame fan fictions we are seeing.

I want more sci-fi style isekai kind of like Suisei no Gargantia.

40k isekai when?
>salaryman reincarnated as rouge trader

You are expecting too much from character-driven escapist fantasy you fa/tg/uy.

Isekai already peaked 20 years ago

He makes money selling whatever the fuck he wants. Some OP magic items and condoms for whores.

>mc is op but dies instantly
>comes back as a powerless ghost
>anime about mc's ghost helping a party to resurrect him to defeat the villain