What single thing has done the most damage to the anime industry in the past several years?

What single thing has done the most damage to the anime industry in the past several years?

unironically SAO, demographic pandering self-fullfilment series are destroying this industry

Me.

Madhouse dying was a huge loss.

Dogakobo meme anime every season

>unironically SAO,
Did you start watching anime in 2012?
"demographic pandering self-fullfilment series" are not a new thing.

but it popularized it, most producers became even more lazy, you can trace the isekai boom to SAO

>but it popularized it, most producers became even more lazy,
No.
>you can trace the isekai boom to SAO
Yes. But isekai being a small minority among the total anime being broadcast, that's not really a problem.

Rampant piracy

As opposed to what? No customers at all?

it was "a mysterious girl falling from the sky on a ordinary japanese high schooler" for decades, and now it's our dude falling from the sky on the mysterious girl in her natural habitat. Duh same tendies for the same people

Your thread OP.

Your're favorite anime.

Moeshit.

That arguably started during WW2 when the Japanese war propaganda chose to depict their soldiers as cute animals rather than dirty dudes.

Not really. Most of the talented freelancers who worked with them before the buyout just do their shit elsewhere now. The only real losses I can think of are a few talented in-house people like Satou Yuuzou, who stayed and wound up working on Mahou Sensou and that fucking Avengers show now.

Most people with good taste just pirate, people with shit taste support the industry by buying the BDs and merch. Of course the capitalist will favor the IPs that has most income.

>Most people with good taste just pirate, people with shit taste support the industry by buying the BDs and merch.
Do you have any source for that?

You know, somebody has to buy those BDs for them to show up on the internet.

same basic concept, but they are not similar, and before you call me a retard let me explain you why
>mysterious girl falls from the sky to an ordinary high schooler
in here the girl is the one who is extraordinary, she is the one who drags the MC to wacky shenanigans, more often than not he is the one who falls in love with her first
>the dude falls from the sky
and in here the dude is the one who is extraordinary by just being a normal dude, more often than not the girl is the one who falls in love first
do you see my point? people like to self insert into someone special, that's why most shonen MC's are retarded big-eaters that become the choosen ones later on, and when someone is special by just being normal while getting girls wet instead of a boring fuck chasing a literal goddess, the choice is easier

>the girl is the one who is extraordinary,
No, the boy usually has superpowers as well. It's not readily apparent, but by the end of the story the boy generally outshines the girl easily.

>that's why most shonen MC's are retarded big-eaters
Japan is not America. Retarded big eaters are considered funny, not good self-inserts.

This thread.

God fucking damn it, I was under a rock and now I'm sad.

Shinji Ikari.
It generated the tsunami of wimpy beta main characters (but without 1/1000 of his psychological characterization) that still plague anime today

the real answer is the state of the japanese economy, which lead to a massive drop in production values and shit like cheap 480p digipaint instead of working with actual cels and film, as well as outsourcing to garbage shitholes like indonesia for pennies

bland wimpy self-insert MCs were around long before shinji
moe shit was everywhere in the 2000's (and even late 90's), and that was the golden age for people who started with adult swim anime like cowboy bebop, flcl, trigun, etc.

Harems.

Trigger. How they pander to american fans and their "it's bad on purpose, it means it's ok" are terrible ideas, especially together.

Crunchyroll

>What single thing has done the most damage to the anime industry in the past several years?
Depending on sales from mentally ill autistic otaku.

Self-fulfillment was already rampant before SAO, if anything SAO made it better by introducing the alpha type of protagonist who doesn't spill spaghetti in front of women and actually gets shit done.

Could you elaborate on the situation please