Bad Timing, Sony Pictures

News Source: kotaku.com/soon-funimation-will-be-sonys-1797422900
>Sony Pictures Television Networks has announced that it’s going to acquire a major stake in popular anime distribution Funimation.

>An agreement has been reached, but the deal has yet to go through. Once it does, Variety reports that Sony will own a 95 percent stake in Funimation.

Reminder: This was announced not long after The Emoji Movie got brutally panned.

Other urls found in this thread:

archive.fo/Lktsk
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sony_Pictures_Television
youtube.com/watch?v=o_nfdzMhmrA
youtu.be/XL-OHdLIw_I
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Any thoughts, Sup Forums?

>Linking kotaku

Why should I care?

fuck off nigger

There's another thread up already ass bandit read the fucking catalog

>not using the catalog
>using Kotaku
>posting about Funi to begin with
You're doing literally everything wrong, OP.

>brutally panned
Really?

>The Emoji Movie got brutally panned
>still number 2 behind only Dunkirk
You give the general public too much credit.

How come 95 percent and not 100 percent?

>Kotaku

HAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHA

>Aniplex of America does business in US
>AofA is owned by Aniplex from Japan
>Aniplex is owned by Sony
>Sony Pictures buy most of Funimation

What will happen next?

>acquires horriblesubs
Checkmate

Was at ZERO percent on Rotten Tomatoes for the first day or two. Only just now did it reach SIX percent. Critics and every third rate reviewer was eager as fuck to tear it a new one.

I've only seen the trailer, but it seems to be a really generic "feel good" kid animation movie. It is not The Room. Massively hating on it is pure mob mentality, I'm sure.

Well of course that trash was going to get panned by critics, it was made to make money off of the general public by being an animated kids movie that utilized popular culture to draw lots of people in.

It made money, it did it's job. The critical reception means very little (the only way it's bad is that some more informed people might read movie reviews before they blindly consume then will decide not to see it, but 95 percent of people this movie is targeted at won't do that).

The Room is a cult classic/case study made by a then litterally-who studio.
The Emoji Movie is corporate checklist trash made by a multi million dollar company.
I've read a full plot summary. It's pretty much the WORST version of Wreck-it-Ralph.

internet bandwagon will do that

most likely its just a forgettable movie

More Fate.

It's actually insultingly bad. Give it a go, "forgettable" is likely to be the understatement of the year.

>linking to kotaku
What, you one of those who think that archiving pages is racist?
archive.fo/Lktsk

No one gives a shit about film reviews. They're even less relevant than game reviewers which is why the last twenty years of film critique has been poorly crafted op-eds about society and uneducated film theory.

If reviews mattered good movies would still be made and superhero films would have never taken off.

>Reminder: This was announced not long after The Emoji Movie got brutally panned.
Why is this relevant?

Does this mean they'll fuck over the whole voice cast in Texas?

find it funny something thinks they can make money off anime in the west.

90% of people in the west, pirate anime.

what thoughts?
everyone just torrents fansubs and rips anyways

RIP Toonami

Hopefully. Funimation modern dubs are worse than fucking mid 90s dubs.

You know exactly what I mean. Yes, it's a textbook checklist comitee movie, like every other one that hollywood churns out every week.
But this one uses something popular with the young teen generation as a pandering hook, and that makes all the not so young anymore pan it as the worst thing ever

Who the fuck cares

Karen is not for racist comments

There's a difference between Sony Pictures and Sony Pictures Television.

One makes Emoji's and the other makes Breaking Bad and airs Jeopardy every single day.

does that mean there'll be even more sjw agendas shoehorned into the funimation dubs?

>the other makes Breaking Bad
and they haven't struck gold since.

You are extremely delusional if you don't think there is a market for dubs, streams, and DVDs/BDs in the west

we don't want to give you clicks, kotaku.

Kotaku employees.

Yes all anime subs will have misandric propaganda in every single line. Sorry bucko time to find a new hobby I guess

How does this matter in any way

Does this mean The Boondocks is Anime?

Sorry, but I'm not clicking a kotaku link.

>watch Persona 5 anime dvd
>"Watch out #ResistancePhantoms! Donald "Shido" Trump is going to cast masukunda!"

What can't the skeleton jazz wizards corrupt now I can't like video games or anime

Meanwhile, Sony's profits quadrupled in in Q1 FY2017.

>"oh thank god a beach episode! I'll just unzip this and get to fa-"
>[SCENE REDACTED]

The only thing I see happening is they remove anime they already own from Netflix like Father and Kenshin and put it into Funimation. Though it'd be stupid to remove anime off Netflix.

The room sucked ass.

>Father
Fate/Stay

How do you mistype that like that? Get a fucking grip user.

>beating your meat to a scene broadcast on Japanese TV
u know what a booru is right

Nice freaudian slip user.

>That movie about n korea with that fat "comedian"
>Ghostbusters remake
>Emoji movie

I dont get it. Why are they trying so hard to make shit movies?

They aren't, they're following statistics like ants running for a sugar cube. They think that by following some in-house study and building entire movies around those numbers will get them the most money.
Box office tends to disagree most of the times. Ghostbusters bombed, but if you thought Japan was fucking retarded for having Love Live or Granblue sell as much as they do, Americans and Chinese are even worse. Emoji movie actually managed to box its expectation which just goes to show how people will buy tickets for even the lowest common denominator of complete garbage.

He is a dumb phone poster.

Why would anyone buy this trash?

Fuck off back to kotaku, faggot.

You're already fucked if you buy funi dvd and watch dubs. You get what you deserve.

Because streaming services make lots of money, and generation X, Y, and Z are becoming purely digital natives.
More and more people just don't bother buying physical discs anymore, simply because there's so fucking much movies, series, cartoons and documentaries around, and with the internet being so widespread and fast, there's practically no need to physically insert a disc inside a playing device.
Best to have an early leg on by acquiring a streaming suite that works.

I don't think associating themselves with Funimation of all things was a better move than just starting from scratch.

>retarded for having Love Live
LL is great though. Fuck you.

Eh, one of the reasons why they bought Funimation is of course because of its already-existing dubbed anime library.

Im@s is like 100x better loser.

Only if you mean the original(765pro). If you don't, you can fuck off and preferably kill yourself.

Fuck off loser all of Im@s is amazing.
Haruka and Uzuki are best girls

I'll give you a pass for knowing about Haruka. You can still redeem yourself in the future by denouncing the inferior and bland non-765 idols.

Sony bought it, not sony pictures.

"Nerd" culture is an all time high currently

I mean there are BnHA and Shingeki posters in the most backwoods walmart now

>Sony
Ah yes, the company that bankrolled the feminazi Ghostbusters last years. They sure are wise with their money.

>Kotacuck
kys

>feminazi
lmaoing@your_life

>feminazi
>cuck
kill yourself

can you just fuck off back to Sup Forums?

Hopefully it means Funimation will have more than enough money to press their Blu-Ray discs in the U.S.

I'm tired of getting a flimsy BD with the signature "Made in Mexico" print on the ring of the disc.

Sony played a smarter game with the Emoji movie where everyone knew it was gonna be fucking awful from the announcement and then made it obvious in the first trailer how much it rips off from other recent and more successful cartoon films.
People knew it was going to be trash, but Sony tickled their morbid curiosity (I want to see how awful it gets and laugh at it) on top of easily reeling in the meme-loving phone addict crowd. And it sorta paid off in that it wasn't a commercial failure and will likely manage to pay for its production if it hasn't already.

Anyway, this doesn't seem like it's a Sony Pictures deal. Sony themselves are somewhat smarter even if every single branch of the company has been a bunch of trend whores for a couple of years now.

It's like I'm reading a post from 2014

Alternately, reading a present day Sup Forums post.

It's budget was only around $60 million, and its on track to make a profit

feminazi cuck detected

Would you rather see an emoji anime or a fidget spinner anime?

If Funimation didn't make money they would have gone out of business a decade ago.

Legal methods of getting new shows to audiences in a reasonable timeframe (aka streaming) has created a market. Sure a lot of people pirate or bootleg, but apparently there are others who do pay for it.

>RIP Toonami
Oh please, that shit should have stayed dead. If you honestly believe that staying up until 1 AM once a week to watch an episode of an anime that most likely aired 3-5 years ago is a great idea in 2017 then you're dumb

>Sony Pictures Television coasts by on syndication and stream deals for Seinfeld and Breaking Bad and just bought a big NA anime distributor
>Meanwhile their movie branch is run by old people who literally sent emails demanding Spider-Man should be listening to an MP3 player because "kids are into that"
>This is on top of their foolishly-concocted idea of trying to get Tobey Maguire back to do "Spider-Man vs. The Amazing Spider-Man" because they believed it would make "Over 2 billion" at the box office

Nigga they made preacher, one of the only non Sup Forums tv shows i actually give a shit about

The rest is retained by the founder of Funi.

Aniplex is owned by Sony Music, not Sony Pictures.

>Founder of Funi
I actually met him once when he gave a talk at Texas A&M. Seemed like an ok guy

K we've established that this isn't Sony's film division. So really, whats the purpose of this acquisition for television of all things? Original anime content? Streaming?

>Sony Pictures Television, Inc. (abbreviated as SPT, formerly known as Columbia TriStar Television) is an American television production and distribution studio. Based in Culver City, California, it is a division of Sony Pictures
>it is a division of Sony Pictures
>en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sony_Pictures_Television

To make money of course. That's what businesses care about.
>b-but f-fu-funi?
They make money, so if a big business like Sony which wants to make more money wants to make more money, they buy that smaller business, which then will help them make even more money.

I can't be sure. One crackpot theory of mine is that sony wants to start a premium tv channel with funimation content, mixed in with anime sony already owns like the marvel anime and blood+. Simuldubs could come on TV either the same day or before hitting streaming sites. Of course its all speculation but i'm not sure why they want it otherwise.

youtube.com/watch?v=o_nfdzMhmrA

looks like a fun movie
also the shit emoji look and act like Indians, nice

Sony has been out of the game compared to everyone else when it comes to the NA anime scene. They tried to sell a few shows for syndication back around the turn of century (most notably Rurouni Kenshin of course with the alternative title 'Samurai X' which would later be redone by Media Blasters and air on Cartoon Network)

Then they tried to launch Animax as a channel in the US, which they gave a date for years ago but nothing ever materialized.

>whats the purpose of this acquisition for television of all things?
Most anime are TV series. Probably just trying to expand their offerings.

>kys
You were fine until this point. Go fuck off, underage faggot.

Well they've been trying to break into streaming for a while with Crackle and PS Vue. Funimation probably makes more than those 2 as it already has an audience.

>everyone shits on Planes
>it's great
>everyone shits on GITS
>it's great
>everyone shits on Emoji
I know what I'm torrenting next

People who have seen it after reading reviews just say it's boring to watch.

yeah but those retards also think Transformers movies or the piece of shit that was Interstellar are good

Samurai X tho made it to Ibero-America, where it was a big success in Cartoon Network with almost no cuts. Later SPTN released it in the Ibero-American chapter of Animax.

NONONONONONONONO

You thought funis SJW shit was bad now then it's going to be 10 times fucking worse.

Fucking hell this will be horrible. It always gets worse god damn. They'll find ways to fuck this up in ways we can't even imagine.

Now that I think so...

SPTN owns what's left of what used to be the global empire of Animax. They have the English dub of Tokyo Godfathers... This could mean than that dub finally makes it to America?

>youtu.be/XL-OHdLIw_I

>funis SJW shit
like? making a GG joke?