WN/LN Thread

Thread for discussing web novels and light novels. Praise them, shit on them, bitch about shitty isekai, find new shitty series to pick up, and complain about bad writing, all in one thread. I'll start with a few I've been reading.

>Katahane no Riku

Nice in that it wasn't overly long (only 100 chapters), but Riku being a sociopath got old after a while. It was pretty decent aside from that with decent action and a straightforward and satisfying revenge story, so I'd recommend it if you've got half a day to kill.

>Vermillion

Surprised at how much I've liked it so far. It's a "trapped in VR MMO", but it's low fantasy where magic is actually rare and kinda shitty. MCs are OP (more like glass cannons) but still get their asses kicked in their first fight with some random bandits because they weren't paying attention, which I thought was a nice change of pace. People die easily and even a small mistake means death, so the initial bandit arc was actually pretty exciting. What I was really surprised about was the characters actually being multifaceted with somewhat complex (for a WN/LN at least) motivations and personalities. This is true for several side characters, but especially so for the male MC who has a remarkably believable and relateable approach to the problems, and manages to be one of the few characters I've seen that didn't immediately dip into complete pussy pacifist "good guy" or sociopathic mass murderer. Of course it could go to shit later on, but so far would absolutely recommend it.

Other urls found in this thread:

mega.nz/#F!dI4ADAqY!ajhek1mt_JRoYp_b5UIS8Q
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

>The Experimental Log of the Crazy Lich

This is a hard one. It ranges from really interesting, with a pretty rich backstory and an interesting cast of characters, to nonsensical and confusing slapstick. Even worse, it changes between the two without warning, giving you some serious whiplash when you try to keep up. Only on chapter 32 so far out of 150 translated, but I have high hopes it can be something really special if it smoothes out the transition between the actual story and the comedic sequences since I find the backstory and the rise, fall, and rise again of the MC pretty interesting to read about.

>Skeleton Knight in Another World

Exceedingly average in pretty much every way. World isn't unique, there's never any tension in battle with MC since he curbstomps everything, and his motivations rarely extend beyond food and helping women because they have vaginas. Even worse, MC is never bothered by anything, whether it's murdering someone or seeing someone be raped, and it all seems to slide off him like water. However, one thing that has kept me reading despite that is the author actually made a canonical reason why MC is so incredibly bland. Apparently in his skeleton form his emotions are suppressed, but when he temporarily gains his flesh form, his emotions come back, making him an emotional wreck from all the accumulated emotional stress. Not much has been done with this so far and it's starting to seem like the author threw it in just so he could get away with writing such a painfully bland MC, but I see potential for the MC going from shit to intriguing if this is played right. Add in a dream/nightmare of him going full lich on some guards and I have high hopes for suffering in the future. LN pictures are nice too, so that's a plus.

Been reading Infinite Dendrogram. It's been pretty decent so far.

I just wish the protagonist wasn't an idiot. And by idiot I mean his conversational skills are just him parroting random words his conversation partner says.
Plus he looks even more stupid when literally everyone else is the intellectual type, save for Nemesis.

The only smart thing he's done is figure Figaro's ability before his other friends, but that was still with his brother spoonfeeding him hints on top of being not that hard to figure out.

not Sup Forums faggot

I don't think Arc is all that bland.
The guy is crazy enough to always full RP as his character, and doesn't seem the least bit phased over needing to lead a new life in a new world.
Sure nothing stands out in his personality, but there's far worse MCs out there.

Also, that dream wasn't him as the Lich.

>reading in 2017

The only thing I'm reading now is overlord.

inb4 thread sent to /jp/ to die

Sounds kind of boring based off the synopsis, but pretty decent is fairly high praise. Does the story switch between real life and the game world since they don't seem to be stuck in the game? I am kind of interested on the switch where everyone but MC is smart, rather than the usual flip of everyone being retarded aside from MC.

He's not just bland, he's more like a blank slate. The only things he's shown even mild interest in are titties, his fox, and tomatoes. I don't dislike him necessarily, I just don't feel much of anything for him because there hasn't been much to see. That's why I am hoping recent developments will make him more of a person.

How was he not the lich? Didn't it have his cloak on?

The funny part is there's no LN threads on /jp/ because no one there cares. They consider it closer to an Sup Forums thing.
That's why there's 0 threads for it despite /jp/ being a slow board to begin with.

I mean, you could always hide the thread.

I don't think there is enough of it for me to gauge if I care for it or not, but I'll say that if nothing else it didn't make me die a little on the inside like some of my finds.

i thought there was a LN thread on /jp/
I looked a few times but apparently /jp/ is a board for people who have actually accomplished something with their life (aka learning japanese instead of wasting their time with education and jobs) so all the novels they were discussing were indecipherable moonrunes to me and I stopped reading it

I tried to read the spider isekai WN
I got pretty far but was forced to drop it when spider became a fucking god.

I feel like some people are blinded by how cute the spider is, because they talk as if that WN didn't smash right into the same territory all the apparently much hated WN's are.

That's when I dropped it too. It lost all appeal once she won but the story kept going. I also skipped every side story about the generic fantasy world around, I only read for spider shenanigans and levelling up.

no faggot, allowing one thread exists would allow another one, then another one, then another one ad infinitum
Sup Forums has more than enough materials to discuss, no need to bring a whole other medium
just disguise it as an isekai thread like usual, no need for this pseudo general faggotry

Don't take me wrong I have nothing against ln. Personally I think that ln should be on Sup Forums as long as they have manga or anime adaptations or they are available in english.
>i thought there was a LN thread on /jp/
Most likely sent from Sup Forums

>one thread
>psuedo general

I'd make this on /jp/ but they almost only talk about untranslated series. If you don't like this then just hide the thread.

>Does the story switch between real life and the game world since they don't seem to be stuck in the game?
Real life gets mentioned in the game itself but there are no real life segments.
It's actually an ongoing plot point that many players consider the virtual world "alive" as it's too real. But they don't know how exactly in what way. One person mentions that it might be isekai, might be some sort of alien bullshit, a global-scale world virtualization project with them as the testers, whatever else. Plus, you get "NPC" viewpoints a lot, and it's an ongoing plot with them that some NPCs don't consider players "human" like they are either.

Also, the MC being a goddamn idiot isn't all that fun.
It comes in the form of everyone's always explaining shit to the MC since he can't figure anything out on his own.

>spoiler
I read the raws for it, but that skeleton's heavily hinted to actually just be the pope for that religion mass producing undead in the latest ones.
Not explained why Arc had the dream, though.

The setting sounds interesting, but that MC seems like he'd get on my nerves really quick. That's too bad.

>Sup Forums has more than enough materials to discuss, no need to bring a whole other medium

anime, manga and novels are intertwined, kill yourself.

Oh no, I agree. The MC is easily the worst part, and he's not...unbearable, maybe.
The sad part is he's supposed to be a smart guy, having gotten into the best college in Japan.
But I can't only take him being a fucking parrot so much.

>Guy: I have an idea.
>MC: Idea?
>Guy: But it will require your help.
>MC: Help?
I get showing you're paying attention in a conversation is important, and for readers cutting it into bite-sized pieces is good and all, but holy fuck give it a rest.

Another series I read, at least up until the last TL. Seems like it might have been dropped but no word from the TLer and they're still doing other series.

>Lolibaba

Pretty fun, but simple reincarnation story of an old warlord hag reincarnated in a girl's body. She becomes an adventurer, then a mercenary and starts buying slaves to populate her mercenary corps. Doesn't seem to have any yuri since MC is staunchly straight and only buys men, so it might go reverse harem route if they ever do a timeskip. It's simple but fun, and a bummer there hasn't been an update in ten months.

Also Kansutoppu!, though that's filled with yuri shit. It started off really interesting, but it seems like the author either forgot that MC grew up from 6 tp 16 in a cave with monsters or has no idea how to write someone who is emotionally stunted. Initially it's pretty good in terms of her not knowing social norms, not knowing how to write, and not knowing how to dress properly, but after a while she has zero issues fitting in and knows things she shouldn't know considering her history. It's pretty jarring, especially since a lot of the appeal of the series was that the MC was OP as shit but borderline retarded from being alone since childhood and fighting for her life. Not bad enough to drop, but also not worth reading past the beginning of the tournament arc.

I wonder if skelepope is another reincarnated too then?

That sounds pretty painful. I can stand a lot of shit in bad jap writing, but an MC that obnoxious is too much since you have to see them all the time.

>spoiler
It's mentioned he can teleport like Arc does (and thus like Chiyome's ninja ancestor), but Arc notes that his necromancy is different than the game's. Which is to say, in the game it was basically you summon them and they disappear on their own eventually, but in the new world he seems to be able to create them endlessly and infinitely, assuming he has corpses of course. He also seems to be able to make custom bizarre creatures, which was also not in the game.
So there's chances he is but there isn't much to go on so far. All that's been hinted for him is apparently the empire killed a dangerous and infamous necromancer before that one person in the story believes may be the same person as the pope.

It should be mandatory for anyone posting on /jp/ to understand japanese. It what separates the man from the boy.

Sounds interesting, looking forward to more translations in that case. A little disappointed with the generic "the church is total evil" stance, but if it's played right it could still be a good story piece. Do you know what happens with the personality change from temporarily regaining his flesh form?

I don't read the translations, but I'd know anything about it that you wouldn't.
I don't recall his personality changing though. It's just the emotional stress built up while during his skeleton form comes out all at once when he goes back into elf form. Of course, while in elf form he's also capable of feeling the emotions in full as well, so he actually experiences the fear of having a sword pointed at him and stuff compared to not as a skeleton. I suppose that could appear to be a different personality?

But as far as I can recall, Arc has always 100% roleplayed as Arc regardless of the above.
The only time he isn't Arc is occasionally in his thoughts.

>Arifureta
Still haven't read anything better than the beginning of Arifureta. Too bad author decided to fuck it up with incredible ass-pulls, stupid harem romance etc. Don't get me wrong, I don't hate romance (in fact I love the genre), it's just Arifureta does it incredibly badly.

>Dungeon Seeker
It would have been pretty good as well, but fuck this 'god/administrator' (in LN/WNs in general) shit, completely ruins the story.

>Mixed Bathing
This started off good, MC wasn't that OP, seemed like it would actually be a fun read, but alas, it's just another pussy MC with a harem (at least nothing happened until half-way though Volume 4).

>Realist Hero
Isn't that realist at all, only like the first chapter or two. Now he's just slightly more level-headed MC. Also, how does he keep his phone recharged?

>Kamigoroshi no Eiyuu
This is probably my favourite. MC understands that a girl likes him and actually is thinking things through. Had quite a nice world-building and well-written flashbacks give insight into what happened prior to current events.

>Mixed Bathing
While he hasn't fucked anyone, I don't think he's particularly wimpy or anything.
He proactively bathes with everyone and all. Most harem garbage doesn't even get that far.
Isn't he mostly waiting for the main heroine to get back up with him anyway? Before going full mast, that is.

>Kamigoroshi no Eiyuu
>actually thinking things through
You mean constantly dodging the issue.

Yeah, that's what I meant by him having a personality. Maybe it'd be better to say "him having emotions" beyond the bare minimum.

>Kamigoroshi no Eiyuu

Sounds interesting, picked up. Also thanks for the warning on Dungeon Seeker, I was planning on starting that this week but I'll shelve it instead.

If you actually enjoy all these RPG-Mechanic Isekais you need to kill yourself

There was, but it died a few days ago due to inactivity and no one made a new one so far.

Metal gear?

Ah, right, Snake did it too.
But at least we got Snake's sexy voice for it.

>Yeah, that's what I meant by him having a personality. Maybe it'd be better to say "him having emotions" beyond the bare minimum.
No, it's not explained why he doesn't have emotions in the first place as the skeleton.
Then again, he also appears to come with an bottomless skeleton (as in he can consume as much food as he wants), and swords can go through his bones and stuff with no damage to himself.
It's probably just a "feature" of being a skeleton like the above stuff.

>bottomless skeleton
I meant to write stomach but am retarded, it would seem.

>Isekai
>Isekai
>Isekai
>Isekai
>Demon Lord
>Demon God
>Demon Lord
>Demon God
When will this shit trend end? Chances are if the Light Novel has atleast 1 of these 2 elements, it's complete garbage and a Web Novel, which means it's a story so shit it couldn't even be adapted into a Light Novel

Mmm... I might be a little biased towards it indeed, but for some reason I still like it that he actually understands the situation he's in.

Agreed, most of them are pure shit. But since there's so much of it flowing, there's bound to be a gem or two hidden in there.

Oh please user, have you read any novels without those things?
They still manage to be shit perfectly fine even without those elements.

It's just a matter of finding the golden nugget buried in the pile of shit.

That's a shame, I was hoping the author would actually do something with that.

Every medium is shit. You don't go through it for the shit, you go through for the occasional diamond in the shit. I've only found a handful, but I really like the ones I have found so I keep digging anyways.

If anyone wants to read some of the shittiest, trashiest novels around, check out Oukoku e Tsuzuku Michi. See if you can get past my record of chapter 18.

I genuinely belive poorly written storys without ISEKAI or DEMON LORD to be superior to stories with them

You clearly haven't heard of Lv. 2 Cheat (or something similar) and this one novel where dude found out his childhood friend was in love with the Hero, so he hid in mountains and got op in 3 years etc.

So you like school battle or school life shit?
You know, those awful series of nothing happening for 10 volumes, then the ending is he finally holds hands with the heroine.

Ok, maybe I should have said the shittiest, trashiest novel I have ever read. It's fucking atrocious, but I guess there's always something worse.

Forgot to mention "I got reincarnated and am mistaken for a genius?".
This is next level ass-pulling. Make robot twice the size? Genius! Absolutely mind-blowing!

Yeah, shit like Hikaru ga Chikyuu ni Itakoro are infinitely better to ARIFURETA and the likes. Im not saying they're pieces of good writing per se, but Im not looking for that in a Light Novel.

I don't think anything is worse than blue balling series. It's a travesty shit like that gets slapped with the "romance" tag when the only romance is at the very fucking end.

Lvl 2 Cheat is pretty much just a casual slice of life with the MC and his waifu. Plus all the characters having their own pairings is nice, rather than the MC just collecting all the girls.

No one mentioning Tanaka the wizard ? It is really fun.

Is anyone else following/reading Altina? I am on volume 4 right now.

Pic related is the mind reading loli he sexually harasses.

>Tanaka the wizard

You mean the one where he's surrounded by whores, even the one that "loves" him while fucking around?

Following it but not really liking it a lot. Naval battle was literally the only good part .

I heard the ending was shit so I never bothered.
I like the artist a lot, though.

MEGA updated with manga volume 5 for those still following.

mega.nz/#F!dI4ADAqY!ajhek1mt_JRoYp_b5UIS8Q

>You mean the one where he's surrounded by whores, even the one that "loves" him while fucking around?>>
Not everyone is used goods but still behave as they are, making them get off from MC s radar.
Hopefully LN ending is better, it looks like it was different starting from vol 3 already anyway.
Thanks but will wait for translations.

I couldn't get into it due to the high density of thots. Call me a purityfag if you wish but that's just a huge turn off.

I kinda understand you since i feel the same, but it is still kinda fun . Especially MC 's first kiss being stolen by
a fucking trap.

Reading the terrible translation of Hisshou Dungeon.

I was a bit surprised to learn that the succubus loli has been using her powers on MC every night and the girls have all been raping him as he slept. Latest chapter had MC afraid something was wrong with him because he had a beautiful girl that started sneaking into his futon laying against him, but he wasn't waking up with a boner.

At least the MC didn't actually have a problem with doing anything with them. He was just worried about them getting pregnant at a time when they're all so busy so he was refraining.

Why exactly did Kino no Tabi stop getting an official translation past the first volume? I am not belittling the fan translations or anything, I just kind of wish that the volumes would get translated faster.

Because it's not ISEKAI with POWERLEVELS and RPG-MECHANICS. Ergo it doesn't sell

Most LNs that are actually decent don't get TLs. I.E. Guin Saga, Stars Chronicles, Kno no Tabi, etc. It's a shame that TLers only ever go after recent or trending series.

Because like all LNs it is shit but this shit doesnt have many people who like it so no one would get a digital boner translating it.

And I assumed that Jintai was ignored because the language was too hard for most of these translators. That makes sense.

>guin saga
>implying anyone would want to translate all that stuff
Probably only js06 has that kind of time.

It was licensing issues. Sigsawa didn't like how Tokyopop rearragned the chapters, so he called the deal off. Kino's gender was meant to be ambiguous for most of the first volume, but Tokyopop decided to make it explicit.

Stop being so triggered.

That might be part of it without a doubt since most fan translators are shit at nip.

I meant fan translators and official ones. There were five official volume translations, then nothing. Even if fans don't want to bother, it'd be nice if the companies that bought the license would bother following through instead of scaring off what few fans might be interested by hoarding the license.

You mean skill and speed instead of time since he's a normal working citizen like all of us.

Tokyopop had the license for these and they went bankrupt or something along these lines if I remember correctly.

I always tought that both Kamachi and js06 were both robots.

As long as Dendro has Nemesis it has my loyalty.

Skeleton elf pope/paladin/summoner is a cool dude.

Dunno, I've found lazy NEET spider goddess a lot more fun than the skill salad leveling part.

Kino's gender was meant to be ambiguous for most of the first volume, but Tokyopop decided to make it explicit.

Keeping someones gender hidden is a lot harder in english without sounding weird (and drawing attention to the fact that you're hiding the gender)

That's true. I can see why Tokyopop did what they did and I honestly agree with their decision. Still didn't stop the author from getting upset though, but I guess that he valued attention to detail and was too afraid to let Tokyopop keep translating it.

Why does Tokyo Ravens have a lot of untranslated side stories? Hopefully some are still reading this series.
>all the EX side stories
>Sword of Song
>Another x Holiday
>-Girls Photograph-
Also here's the cover for Volume 15 which should be out in Fall

>she won
Won what exactly? She's still weaker then Kuro, found out she's was literally a happy accident from D, and hasn't accomplished Ariel's goal. Her achieving administrator status hasn't done shit because the "goddess" is an absolute retard who'd let the world be destroyed then relinquish her role as the lynchpin of the system.

Her goal from the start was escaping the dungeon to be safe. She accomplished that, yet the story kept going after tossing everything that made the previous 200 or so chapters entertaining. Would have preferred if it just ended and started a sequel with her being a god instead, would have been far better.

If you read LNs in English you might be clinically retarded.

>clinically retarded
wheredoyouthinkyouare.svg

>implying lns are some form of high literature that loses anything when translated
light novels are basically popcorn films. nobody is reading them and expecting art. they're looking to kill a few hours.

Because HABATAKU RABENS isn't exactly most people's cup of tea, I mean I love it but I love a lot of stuff no one cares about, half my reading list on NU is obscure shit only 2 other people read because I'm that desperate for janky reading material.

She wanted out of the labyrinth because she thought she was a human reincarnated into a spider. Goes to figure shit changes when she finds out the truth, although her plans changed when she first met Kuro.

Best girl coming through.

>learning a useless language just to read dimerag novels

Cute.

>wanting a slut who has eaten countless men of all races

If that ends without him giving Mio and Tomoe the D, I'll be supremely disappointed. At this point I actually want Lime to fuck him

>hiatus
Why must thou remind me?

Who /sevens/ here?

>LN illustrations even have nipples
Fucking glorious

>not saying countless men of all races inside her

The good news is that according to the author's twitter, he's out of the hospital and writing again.
The bad news is that he got sucked into Fate/GO.

Third a best

It was actually a good read. Caught up with the translations

>Fate/GO
Is someone talking about gacha?

Seriously? I like smut and badass MCs but this was just retarded.

>EVERY woman wants his cock
>he has a massive horsecock that every woman accomodates without issue
>he fucks a widow next to her kids
>he fucks traumatized slaves and somehow cures their trauma with his cock
>only reason he's nice to a little girl is because he hopes it'll be easier to fuck her in a few years
>rapes a woman next to the beheaded head of her lover and father figure and she's cool with it
>every woman he fucks falls madly in love with him because of the power of his gallons of cum ejaculating horsecock

Unless it radically changes focus from him fucking everything in sight, I just don't see how that can happen.

Rance?