Shieldhero

I heard this was good but really it's just SAO level wish fulfillment; it's literally a narrative built to make the reader feel cool for being a badass that wins against society and frees his hot slave girl. How did this even get semi well known?

>freeing his slave
Are you sure we read the same thing

You're right, he doesn't technically free her but takes her under his wing. that's even better, the reader still gets to experience the "alpha" male fantasy while having the illusion of being a good person because hey at least mc is not THAT much of a dick to her

He's more like a mom/babysitter for his team. And then his village full of slaves

>really it's just SAO level wish fulfillment; it's literally a narrative built to make the reader feel cool for being a badass that wins against society
>How did this even get semi well known?
Do you really not have enough self awareness to understand why that concept is popular in manga and by extension why this is thread is stupid?

also
>winning against society

It sure shows how hypocritical and contrarian Sup Forums is. I can't wait for the anime to air and for public opinion to turn completely against it. It will be hilarious.

Yup, its pretty shit.Preaching about it here wont matter since the fanbase is pretty retarded just like any gary stu series fanbase.

>being a badass that wins against society and frees his hot slave girl.
He got fucked by that bitch in the palace and had to eat shit for months, not to mention he got cursed in the process, that's not exactly a win. Also freeing a slave by making her a slave?
Imma make a list why shieldbro is probably as good as an isekai can get:
>not op, probably the most important one
>inconvenient start to an mmo, all the other heroes got money and hoes from the get go, shieldbro had to study and bust his ass off to actually climb the ranks, meanwhile in town he was considered a rapist and only had the smith as an ally.
>the concept of his shield is really cool, because even though it can get really powerful it requires the user to beat strong shit to get strong rewards, the ultimate mmo experience
Things that could be improved:
>harem concept but that's pretty much part of any manga that happens nowadays
>edginess, but to be fair he was cursed
It's better at its pros and its cons are less impactful to the story's quality than sao's so comparing the 2 is really fucking stupid from your part.

Is it worth picking back up for the exploration of skills and such after he meets that one noble chick? That was my favorite part, but I feel like it'll slow down because he got this plant thing that was super OP.

so what do we do now that most of the pros are completely gone and unimportant?

This. There is no society to win against, he's just dropped into one of the most ham-fisted, contrived stories; a 13 year old's idealized bully revenge/spite fantasy. Any and all of the story's redeeming plot points(learning to fight with the shield, the shop owner relationship, raising the slave, meeting the birds, etc) could exist completely independent of the whole "Me against the world, I'm so dark and misunderstood!" shtick. The cursed shield angle had potential but that was squandered with how overbearing and tired the "woe is me fuck everybody" thing was handled. That's probably the central theme of the story though, but it's done just about as poorly as the vindication/revenge bits are so they seem like individually flawed concepts as opposed to complimenting central themes of the story.
Like this image. We get it, you're mad at the world, and that's the central crux of the story as a shield user. We don't need 60 pages of deviantart/shadow the hedgehog tier internal turmoil.

So that's why it's popular OP. It's the same rehashed mass produced wish fulfillment garbage that most people who enjoy anime/manga stick around for. Which sucks because some parts weren't bad, which says a lot these days.

>We don't need 60 pages of deviantart/shadow the hedgehog tier internal turmoil.
oddly enough it DOES have a small ammount of stuff at DA.

The day DA stops becoming a site-wide punching bag is the day I give up on the internet.

safe to say. You're here forever

Which noble chick you mean again?

And thats how Twilight sold 100 million copies

this is still a better love story than twilight.

Bait

He probably means Melty.

because as you said, it's wish fullfilment and anyone who likes isekai isn't exactly satisfied with life

Do you find personal faults for this series in particular or is it just becuase isekai

These two things aren't mutually exclusive. Isekai can be good. This one isn't because it's the same generic mass produced wish fulfillment trash isekai with the soul goal of making some fucking loser self insert on the "bad ass alpha who's awesome through inconvenient and nonsensical means and have women craving his dick because that's what happens when losers are sent to another world!" instead of telling a good story.

Give spear hero a read.

>and anyone who likes isekai isn't exactly satisfied with life
This is a pretty stupid thing to said considering how popular Isekai shit has always been.

They... don't use the plant thing later.

self inserting escapism has also always been popular.

That's strange considering how it could pretty much do anything.

Yeah what said

>so what do we do now that most of the pros are completely gone and unimportant?
Well no shit most of them are gone it's called progress. The kind of thing that happens in a story Characters don't always stay the same from story start to end. They grow, they change and they improve.
The very title tells you this.

It's not a be-all end-all solution to everything. Besides it's the rising of the shield hero, not the gardening hero

>tfw no gardening hero

>could exist completely independent of the whole "Me against the world, I'm so dark and misunderstood!"
And it would be arifureta i dont see your point

You know, just once, I'd love to see the slave go "Thanks for freeing me. I'll be off on my own, now."

I mean, Ranpha was subject to a crest that would give her agonizing pain if she disobeyed his commands. That's not a relationship anyone would be happy about. Realistically speaking, she would light out the first fucking chance she got. (Admittedly, in her place, I would be riding Motoyasu's dick, but there you go.)

B-but the MC was NICE!

You know, if someone had an explosive collar around my throat, I wouldn't care how nice that person was. I would say or do anything to get that collar off. More, I would never work with that guy: If he was super-nice to me, the most I would do would be 'not kill him'.

You can blame it on stockholm+being nice to her. Also her finding out he's the shield hero, friend to all demihumans and shit.
Rifana would have fallen faster for him actually, if she survived and was taken instead.

>I would say or do anything to get that collar off. More, I would never work with that guy: If he was super-nice to me, the most I would do would be 'not kill him'.
>implying you can kill him in anyway short of learning piercing attacks
Also he's probably put most of the conditions for punishing on. so lying your way out of it is out of the question.

>narrative built to make the reader feel cool for being a badass
This is literally the main feature of these types of LNs, self-insert in Japanese media is by-design and when it's easy for the reader to self-insert, it means the writer is skilled. It's not a bug, it's a feature so that's not a valid criticism. Just like comedy is built to illicit laughter, mysteries are built to engage the reader's mind and moe SoLs are built to be cute and comfy.

You're not Raphtalia. We all read how she was broken after all of her friends and the people of her hometown were either killed or enslaved. And whatever remained of said town was looted and raided until was nothing left to pick, leaving no chance for a child like her to rebuild at that time. All of her efforts to try and salvage at least a bit and survive with whatever and whoever was have all gone up in flames. (You) come back out of that and tell me what you would have done.

Run like hell the moment I was freed? Because, you know, that's what a perpetually enslaved person would do. Not beg to be re-enslaved.

Assuming she's rather suggestible (given how quickly she developed Stockholm Syndrome) it's not a stretch to guess she'll pick the guy who is handsome and smiles a lot over the sullen reprobate.

Its an inferior version of project arms to some extent.

when is it airing, and does he plow his harem?

There's a few things that would make that last thing a REALLY bad idea.
1.- Bitch
2.- The country's racism against demihumans
3.- Naofumi going full wrath shield shortly afterwards

Then again, you're you. you're free to think whatever you want.

What's this one about?

> Naofumi going full wrath shield shortly afterwards

That's not really her problem by then, is it? I would assume she would book passage on the first ship home.

>I would assume she would book passage on the first ship home
What home? already explained she has NO HOME to return to.

Sure, but won't she rather live amongst demihumans than humans? If I'm, say, from China and my hometown was destroyed, I can still go back to China.

I liked it

See point #2, it's very unlikely she'll be able to leave easily considering the public's general opinion on demihumans. Most likely she'll get enslaved once again since nobody will have special considerations with her because she's no longer the companion or property of a hero.

I can't wait to see American reviewers' articulate and nuanced opinions on the main character becoming a slaveowner once the anime airs.

You mean those that "matter"? because there's been a few reviews out there.

I stopped reading it after he ginalky teamed up with the rest of the heroes, and they finally accepted and supported him, only to shit on him 2 chapters later when he tried to get them to figure out some stuff.

Well it's gonna get worse for them before it get better so i don't blame you for dropping it.

A few reviews of the LN are hardly worth paying attention to since LNs are so niche. I'm talking about the anime, when the entire Anime News Network panel will have to give their first impressions of false rape accusations.

ANN already reviewed the 8 available novels in english.

Literally one reviewer read them, Rebecca Silverman. This time it will be open to all the anime reviewers to express themselves.

>wish fulfillment
more or less is how work fantasy in general.

We'll see how that turns out. And on another note, there's only 3 live reaction videos on youtube that i've seen exist. Not sure if there are more but one of them made me want to off myself already.

Sup Forums recommended it for a while only because of the hype of isekai back then and the live traductions of the manga and LN/WN chapters in those threads, shieldbro has been always bad, it was just the flavour of the season back then just like goblin slayer is now.

The same thing happened with mushoku tensei, Overlord, Log horizon and many other LNs. If you want to get a good recomendation to what to read, you should read Spice&Wolf because is the only good LN that exist and switch to real novels but imagine the characters with anime designs.

on that note what do you think of parchment & wolf?

>shits on all LNs but S&W
fuck off normie, judging from your broken english you're probably a spic too

>parchment & wolf
milking a half dead cow until there's no more milk

all you gotta do is ignore them user. Or ask something else.

good night thread.

Cant w8 for the animation!

Why does she have a shield