Hear English dub for the first time

>hear English dub for the first time

Why are English voice actors so bad at conveying emotion, or just generally reacting to stuff, in a realistic way?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=wSRylVSfxyw
youtu.be/8TFAGAyLzcg?t=132
youtube.com/watch?v=SxJ4VWoeOzs
youtube.com/watch?v=rEKeINRSx8c
animenewsnetwork.com/encyclopedia/people.php?id=60177
youtube.com/watch?v=ep98a0mDiIc
youtube.com/watch?v=cbpslRxy8T0
youtube.com/watch?v=gtGtzkkb8ck
youtube.com/watch?v=LaY1FVtLUio
youtube.com/watch?v=UjYfoyKDWr8
youtube.com/watch?v=eNuRnARkN5M
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

English people just doesn't express their emotions in the over the top ways japanese in anime does.

English people always close their throats and tense up like they're trying to sound tense on purpose and I can't stand it.

Makes me physically cringe.

Because the english VAs for anime are usually shitty 2nd rate ones.

Are you fucking 12?

This board is so fucked.

To be fair, this board has been fucked for a long time

English dub actors are 99% of the time failed actors. They are the lowest of the low.

Japanese voice actors are trained professionals.

The "training" doesn't mean much (especially when it comes to older generations of seiyuu), it's the ridiculously hard competition across all media that creates the consistent top level.

What dubs do you watch?

If you could pick one English VA to start doing anime dubs who would it be?

James Urbaniak

Shit directing.

The reverse is pretty much the same, Japanese dubs of western shows are generally terrible.

>be watching anime
>want realism
stop being a nerd dub supremacy

I think it's because of the more eccentric and different way that characters behave in anime.
Stuff like audible gasps whenever someone says someting just doesn't really happen as much in English so it comes across as jarring when they have to adapt that noise or any other quirk because it just doesn't fit very well. That being said, dubs will almost always have poorer direction than the original version regardless of the talent from the voice actors.

Also to add to what I just said, a lot of anime hardly has realistic performances so I'm not sure why you brought that up. Which is exactly why it's so jarring when eccentric Japanese performances have to be adapted into English.

good voice actors with successful careers aren't working on dubs for niche foreign cartoons

I wouldn't mind if the servers went down for the summer at this point.

yes thats why a senior citizen voices goku. because of competition. fuck off faggot

Because they don't take pride in the work and think it's just for children

Senior citizen voices goku because she has been doing since the very beginning you braindead failed abortion

Either Harry Shearer or Hank Azaria

Kek, RWBY is actually better dubbed in Jap. Not that that's an achievement though.

Maybe it's the script and characters? Abriged series most of the time have a much better VA work than the dubbed normal version (Hellsing/SAO for example). Character in abriged actually sound like people talking and not "charachters" trying to sound authentic.

Localization crews only get scraps compared to the original cast anyway.

>Usually not high quality VAs to begin with
>Poor direction due to a generally low budget affair
They're not taking a lot of takes to begin with and their B-listers at the very best.

Language differences on top of working with a translated script/window of time meant for Japanese delivery.

These. NA VAs are simply just not as good. But I imagine they get paid a hell of a lot less.

ACTUAL English actors such as Hollywood actors are much better than the best Jap talent, but they only do dubs for top tier shit like miyazaki films.

youtube.com/watch?v=wSRylVSfxyw

Because most of these people are there just for the paychecks. Only a handful of VAs dubbing anime are actually trying in any way.

>english dub
There's your problem

I'm french and after hearing the english dub I learned to love the french dub

It's because you can't understand it. Your mind "fills in the gaps" so to speak. But also, english VAs are third rate poseurs most of the time.

Because they get bargain basement failed actors for anime dubs usually. Imagine Kevin Conroy playing Joseph, he could even change up his voice a touch and do an equally decent job as Jotaro. Or Mark Hamill as DIO(obviously not doing the Joker voice, the man has range).

>Abriged series most of the time have a much better VA work

This is why I laugh at people who think dub VAs aren't horrible most of the time. Amateur youtubers consistently show them up easily.

youtu.be/8TFAGAyLzcg?t=132

Hellsing ultimate dub is good though

>mfw listening to that nasally drawling American female VA's often do in anime
please don't tell me that's how actual women talk in America.

Now you know how German voice actors must feel about English people talking.

>whaa why doesn't anyone like my shitty english dubs
Fuck off kid

youtube.com/watch?v=SxJ4VWoeOzs

Laura Bailey.

plz come back

here, for those interested in seeing for themselves

youtube.com/watch?v=rEKeINRSx8c

This topic is bait.

>Hellsing Abridged is better than Hellsing
Never breed.

Because you don't speak Japanese and don't know that most Japanese VA's are just as bad as English ones. You just don't know it because of the language barrier..

animenewsnetwork.com/encyclopedia/people.php?id=60177

this

>oh the actor is putting SO much energy into it! they must clearly be doing better than anyone english possibly ever could!

English dubs are still cancer though

I refute that on the basis that English is not my first language, and that English still sounds inferior to my ears. Emotion is a universal language but so is authenticity, both of which are lacking in English dubs.

To be honest, I find overstated Japanese acting to be equally as bad as underwhelming English acting. It's difficult to capture but high quality acting must not feel forced, a trait which many anime dubs, English or otherwise, suffer from.

Are you literally autistic? Most people can detect intonation and emotions in voice without understanding the words themselves.

There are some good English Dubs out there, I think Death Note had a great english dub and so did Berserk

>Because you don't speak Japanese
Stop projecting.

What happened to her?

I don't think it would change anything. Underages still browse Sup Forums even if they're in school.

I think for the most part TTGL had an excellent dub, and Your Name's dub was fantastic (though that was a feature length movie, so it might not be comparable).

>Hank Azaria voices the entire cast of an anime
I need this in my life

youtube.com/watch?v=ep98a0mDiIc

>realistic
Op please stop.

What do you expect? They're literally trash tier voice actors that are too shit to work on something with a higher profile. Production values and directing are also fucking shit.

>Joseph
>realistic in his reactions

Nigga did you even watch the anime?

God are you people fucking 12? Why do you retards autistically screech over dubs??? If you don't like it, don't watch it.

no youre just a weeb you wont understand

>Kek
>RWBY is actually better dubbed in Jap
>Not that that's an achievement though
>Literally ends "with n-n-n-not like I watch cartoons"

I can smell the hot pocket radiating off this post.

She realised that working for big companies on mainstream American movies and games, which gets her decent pay and lets her be in a union, was more worthwhile than dubbing anime for minimum wage. Same with most actually talented dub VAs. If you're able to start working in actually credible companies, you don't stay in anime dubbing for long.

I have no fucking clue, I'm italian and I think that italian dub is almost always decent, often very good, and sometimes even better than the original, so I'm not one of those faggy weebs that think that only le true nippon experience counts.
But make me hear some english dub and holy fucking shit if it's bad.
Maybe you don't have good dubbing schools?

Because this is a discussion board, and we're discussing things. The argument of "if you don't like x just don't watch it" is a big load of shit, but an even bigger one when idiots like you smugly spout it on a fucking discussion board.

>love Japanese voice acting even though I don't understand it
>read this excuse all the time
>learn Japanese
>5 years later I can understand everything the characters say
I actually like Japanese voice acting now more than I ever did before because I can understand it. Aside from the rare bad egg, they're just really fucking good, user.

>they're just really fucking good
Yeah, yelling in kabuki style becomes original when you hear it for the millionth time.

Voice acting jobs are usually done with instruction.
>She sounds like this.
>She acts like this in this situation.
This is the same for jap and Western anime/cartoons

But when you throw together a team of randos and give them a script with no instructions you get trash.
This is the same for both western and Jap anime/cartoons.

I wish you all would stop pretending that that this shit is an English only thing

It is, all English dubs are fucking trash.

Why do so many people like the manga better? Because that's what they experienced first and nothing will ever be the same as the first time you experience something.

The English dub and the anime stand alone well enough and that's all we can ask for.

tl;dr get over this stupid meme

>No it's bad because I say it's bad
I never said it was good I'm saying both sides have shitty voice acting.
Great argument tho.

English (Read; American) voice actors at the absolute best of time are comprised entirely of D list hollywood washouts hanging out in an incestuous clique which discourages new talent. And the ones doing the anime dub are the bottom of the bottom of that . Its truly awful.

I thought Epcar did a good job, what's the issue?

They give a Saturday morning cartoon vibe

Naughty Dog gave her the big bucks to voice in their new game.
Same thing that happened to Troy Baker.

bebop, black lagoon, yuyu hakusho have objectively superior english dubs

>"Lol, the only reason you like this foreign song is because you don't understand the language, they actually all sound fucking horrible you just can't tell because of language"
This is the absolute worst argument that has ever been put forth in dub vs subs argument.
Anyone with an IQ above 100 can tell apart bad acting from good acting because you understand the basics of conveying emotions through speech which is not language blocked.

Casual reminder watching Baccano subbed makes you a retard.

As opposed to Japanese dubbing where they're so melodramatic like in soap operas?

If you think Japanese voice acting is any way realistic then you're an idiot.

this. Go watch clione no akari if you are not convinced.

Glad you could provide the one exception where the dub is better

here faggot

>le IQ

>"Lol, the only reason you like this foreign song is because you don't understand the language, they actually all sound fucking horrible you just can't tell because of language"
This is true though, a foreign song would be worse if you understood the dumb shit they were saying.

Even if the acting is better, I doubt the script coming directly out of a fucking comic book sounds natural in any language when spoken out loud.

Once again, these are exceptions not the rule. Dubs as a whole are generally shit

casual reminder 4Kids had the best dubs.

So are Japanese dubs

Only a few Eng Dubs are better than the original voices.Cowboy Bebop is much better in english, ghost in the shell too even neon genesis evangelion in some points

The dub's voice director has their own idea of how to inflect and intone the voices which differ from the JPN's direction. This can be good or bad. Is often bad. Western animation has superior VA work to English dubs of anime. It has to come down to the voice directors of English adaptations being shit.

Japanese VAs are better at emoting in an over-the-top way relative to English but they certainly aren't reacting "realistically"

Well I checked MLP and RWBY in japanese and they'we very okay actually. And both show were plain unwatchable in english, go figure.

There was a bell curve in English dubs. They were improving for a while until all the good actors realized they could get better money from video games and western animation.

>. And both show were plain unwatchable in english
>both show
It's probably because you don't understand english well enough, mate.

I dunno man, this shit is pretty tight

youtube.com/watch?v=cbpslRxy8T0
youtube.com/watch?v=gtGtzkkb8ck
youtube.com/watch?v=LaY1FVtLUio
youtube.com/watch?v=UjYfoyKDWr8
youtube.com/watch?v=eNuRnARkN5M

It's a mix of that and the budget for dubs being so small the only actors willing to work for such shit pay is the kind of incompetent fucks that literally can't get any other kind of acting jobs.

The voice acting was disgusting and cringy sempai. And anyway, what's there to understand? Kids can watch these.